Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
In terms of atmosphere (and awesome), nothing will beat diving into hell feet first with your power ranger knight buddies to fight the corrupted former king and his corrupted knights in basically hell. That boss fight is one of my top 3 favorite fights in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
So I managed to beat Gael on my third go solo. He was the easiest of the bosses by far, though my VIT build (SL120) with full havels gear + claymore helped a lot.

I've a newfound appreciation for greatshields with these two DLCs, but yeah I wasn't able to solo the endurance tests of Demon Prince and Blackfriede. Goddamn were they something else. Maybe now I'll try Midir, with a full stock of gold pine resins..

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vilhelms set is amazing. Kind of weighs a ton considering it's mediocre defense though.

Totally giving me dragons lair/sword in the stone vibes.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The debuff on carthus rogue makes me kind of sad. I remember getting frustrated with my mage build, which turned into a "bleed build" halfway through just cause I didn't want to gently caress with magic when fighting the hardest bosses in the game (I may have stupidly neglected to upgrade my staff the entire time lol, no idea why but i still think magic kinda sucks). No stat investment needed, just grab a compatible weapon and slather that poo poo on. I have very fond memories of overcoming horrifying odds with that poo poo.

Come to think of it I guess that's why they nerfed it.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I thought the pygmies were humans and the last pygmy lords were the last undead at the end of time with a little bit of humanity left. Maybe I missed something

Now that it's all over I feel that my favorite part of Dark Souls lore is that Seath appears to have invented the record player and used it solely to play his own mixtape.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The ringed city is a quarentine zone. It's not supposed to be thought of, like the nameless king. But he was a big deal before a pariah so the fragments of his legend linger

Yes, this was my interpretation as well. Like much of his "gifts", Gwyn had a tendency to gift bad horses to those he considered troublesome. It seems fitting that he'd award his most feared enemies a most luxurious prison.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

I actually feel like the lock on has felt worse with each consecutive game, with demons souls being the best.

Souls 2 has way worse lock on than Souls 3. There are situations in each game where not being locked on is better, but 90% of the time in Souls 2 the lock-on makes the game actively worse for you.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The problem with the Ringed City being this secret is that everybody seems to have known about it: Lothric knew, Vendrick knew... and they say nothing?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think...

Gywn was afraid of the fact that Dark seems to grow on it's own so he slapped the "Seal of Fire" on humans and dark forged items. The ones who fought the dragons with him and knew what was going on might be a little pissed about that, so he gave them a protected city and his youngest daughter. Meanwhile he set himself up as king gently caress of poo poo mountain and convinced loads of humans not in the know to start burning their humanity to prolong the Age of Fire.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Augus posted:

Souls 2 has way worse lock on than Souls 3. There are situations in each game where not being locked on is better, but 90% of the time in Souls 2 the lock-on makes the game actively worse for you.

This is entirely false and a ridiculous overstatement

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yes, this was my interpretation as well. Like much of his "gifts", Gwyn had a tendency to gift bad horses to those he considered troublesome. It seems fitting that he'd award his most feared enemies a most luxurious prison.

I actually really dig the implication that the Ringed City looks like a pre-lit kiln of the first flame.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

3 is the game I'm most comfortable not locking on for whatever that is worth

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

7c Nickel posted:

I think...

Gywn was afraid of the fact that Dark seems to grow on it's own so he slapped the "Seal of Fire" on humans and dark forged items. The ones who fought the dragons with him and knew what was going on might be a little pissed about that, so he gave them a protected city and his youngest daughter. Meanwhile he set himself up as king gently caress of poo poo mountain and convinced loads of humans not in the know to start burning their humanity to prolong the Age of Fire.

I like to think that was the pygmy lords who sold out the rest of humanity (:haw:) by accepting Gwyn's "gift" and in turn were granted their titles (depicted in the tower statue) so they could sit on their little thrones with their little crowns and pretend to be important. drat pygmy 1%ers :argh:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mighty Dicktron posted:

This is entirely false and a ridiculous overstatement
It really isn't? The way the game controls makes locking on a severe hinderance because of how it limits your character's movement. The added clunkiness makes fights in Souls 2 way harder when using lock-on

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish the Dark Souls 2 deadzone fix actually worked but it doesn't for me. Best case it does nothing, worst case it takes over my controller and thus xinput and thus I cannot play the videogame. Why that game's controls are so awful, I will never understand, especially since 1 and 3 have virtually no deadzone at all. :sigh:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I like to think that was the pygmy lords who sold out the rest of humanity (:haw:) by accepting Gwyn's "gift" and in turn were granted their titles (depicted in the tower statue) so they could sit on their little thrones with their little crowns and pretend to be important. drat pygmy 1%ers :argh:

I like that idea. We don't definiteviely know how willing the subgutated were but if they have little trinkets to play with, it might imply cooperation from some of them

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
So uh, I was just summoned as a blue spirit to help two host of embers. The red phantom comes out, and after taking some hits, does the stance-R1 attack for the Old Wolf Greatsword. It instantly takes us from full health to zero. I'm guessing that is a cheater unless there is some way to do that ridiculous amount of damage? He didn't have low enough health to have the red tear ring active or anything. I have about 1200 health.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Internet Kraken posted:

Its not just that bleed infusion got buffed but that carthus rogue got nerfed hard. Before you got better bleed build up and damage by using rogue on a hollow weapon. There was no reason to ever use the bleed infusion.

But on the plus side, Frostbite is worth a poo poo now, so the Irithyll Straight Sword is boss as gently caress.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Node posted:

So uh, I was just summoned as a blue spirit to help two host of embers. The red phantom comes out, and after taking some hits, does the stance-R1 attack for the Old Wolf Greatsword. It instantly takes us from full health to zero. I'm guessing that is a cheater unless there is some way to do that ridiculous amount of damage? He didn't have low enough health to have the red tear ring active or anything. I have about 1200 health.

The Old Wolf Curved Sword grants a Carthus Beacon-like effect for consecutive hits. If he was hitting multiple people he could likely send his damage spiraling, especially if he was using a Flynn's + Pontiff's build.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Silhouette posted:

But on the plus side, Frostbite is worth a poo poo now, so the Irithyll Straight Sword is boss as gently caress.

tell me more dawg

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Did iGP11 stop working with the new dlc? All my cosmetic mods :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wish the pontiff curved sword applied frost on regular attacks cause building frost up with the weapon art alone is really hard.

Its still not a good weapon but I wanna use it because it looks so cool.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

Gologle posted:

In terms of atmosphere (and awesome), nothing will beat diving into hell feet first with your power ranger knight buddies to fight the corrupted former king and his corrupted knights in basically hell. That boss fight is one of my top 3 favorite fights in the series.

That was a badass fight with the 4 knights, I didn't play the DLC at release but I like to imagine a lot of people rushed the boss room and got really frustrated fighting it with the 1 knight you're given.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eleum Loyce is actually my least favorite of the 3 DLCs, but the drop into the Old Chaos is undeniably the best "ah, poo poo" moment the series throws your way.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

All the crown dlcs own. I wish they'd kept the troll invaders concept for ds3, or at least let maldron have a cameo instead of creighton.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fuligin posted:

All the crown dlcs own. I wish they'd kept the troll invaders concept for ds3.

This was a major disappointment to me. From did nothing fun with invaders in all of DS3, aside from Tsorig emoting after he flattens you.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If anyone got more blind playthrough recommendations I'll take 'em.

There are three things I'll never get tired of; people kicking the hollow off the cliff at the beginning, veteran souls players getting annihilated by Lothric knights and reactions to discovering Irithyll :allears:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Vermain posted:

The Old Wolf Curved Sword grants a Carthus Beacon-like effect for consecutive hits. If he was hitting multiple people he could likely send his damage spiraling, especially if he was using a Flynn's + Pontiff's build.

I'm not sure what any of this means yet but I'll take your word for it, thanks.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Node posted:

I'm not sure what any of this means yet but I'll take your word for it, thanks.

To simplify: Carthus Beacon is a Pyromancy spell that makes you gain increased damage after you hit with a certain number of consecutive attacks (changes depending on the weapon used), stacking up to 15%. Pontiff's Right Eye is a ring that has a similar effect, and the Old Wolf Curved Sword does something similar, although I dunno if the Sword has a cap or not. Flynn's Ring boosts your AR depending on your current equipped weight. Basically, someone with minimal weight and those two rings can deal an absolute truckload of damage if they hit multiple targets. Most "serious" invaders use builds like that (which either deal a massive amount of burst damage or which can hit multiple targets effortlessly), since the alternative is them getting chumped by 2-3 phantoms and a host regularly.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Whew, raged enough that I was able to dragon ball z on him and whup his rear end after like 20 tries.

But still gently caress Vilhelm. I cannot stress how much I hate that motherfucker. He didn't even drop his armor. Where do I get that? It's dope looking.

I regret to inform you this, but if you struggled with vilheim then the boss of the area is going to rip you a second and third new rear end in a top hat, pick up your devastated rear quarters as if they were a bowling ball, then hurl you off the nearest cliff

Do post trip reports though (seriously though that upcoming fight is some insanely difficult poo poo for a whole bunch of reasons)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Vermain posted:

To simplify: Carthus Beacon is a Pyromancy spell that makes you gain increased damage after you hit with a certain number of consecutive attacks (changes depending on the weapon used), stacking up to 15%. Pontiff's Right Eye is a ring that has a similar effect, and the Old Wolf Curved Sword does something similar, although I dunno if the Sword has a cap or not. Flynn's Ring boosts your AR depending on your current equipped weight. Basically, someone with minimal weight and those two rings can deal an absolute truckload of damage if they hit multiple targets. Most "serious" invaders use builds like that (which either deal a massive amount of burst damage or which can hit multiple targets effortlessly), since the alternative is them getting chumped by 2-3 phantoms and a host regularly.

I see. Thanks. I wish someone in heavy armor can be just as dangerous as someone that deals truckloads of damage.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Augus posted:

It really isn't? The way the game controls makes locking on a severe hinderance because of how it limits your character's movement. The added clunkiness makes fights in Souls 2 way harder when using lock-on

The only way it hinders your movement is that you sprint very slightly slower while locked on. You otherwise move almost with exactly as much purpose, just with your duder facing the guy. It has almost no effect on your actual controls.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Fuligin posted:

All the crown dlcs own. I wish they'd kept the troll invaders concept for ds3, or at least let maldron have a cameo instead of creighton.
Maldron's Ivory King appearance is probably the most sublime poo poo I've ever seen. He trolls in Old Iron King, but he steps his game up to a level even very good player trolls don't manage in Ivory King.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Nakar posted:

Maldron's Ivory King appearance is probably the most sublime poo poo I've ever seen. He trolls in Old Iron King, but he steps his game up to a level even very good player trolls don't manage in Ivory King.

I completely fell for Maldron the first time I encountered him in Ivory King. I laughed a lot at the YOU DIED and him doing the decapitate gesture at me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The only way it hinders your movement is that you sprint very slightly slower while locked on. You otherwise move almost with exactly as much purpose, just with your duder facing the guy. It has almost no effect on your actual controls.

Unlike DS1 where you can only roll in 4 directions when you're locked on, something I only remembered on this playthrough when my roll didn't go anywhere near where I wanted it to go and I got smacked to death by the titanite demon :negative:

Also drat I had forgotten how many lingering and otherwise bad hitboxes DS1 had. Why were people complaining like DS2 invented bad hitboxes.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

This was a major disappointment to me. From did nothing fun with invaders in all of DS3, aside from Tsorig emoting after he flattens you.

Don't undersell this, being brutally murdered by Black Iron Tarkus is a privilege.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Your Computer posted:

Also drat I had forgotten how many lingering and otherwise bad hitboxes DS1 had. Why were people complaining like DS2 invented bad hitboxes.

Rose-colored glasses, just like most of the things that cause people to say DS1 was perfect. DS1 was first for most people, so it had perfect hitboxes always, even the bad ones, because it's all they knew. DS2 had new enemies and weapons and poo poo, and those things weren't always perfect, so people found them super noticeable only after being accustomed to the DS1 ones.

Demon's Souls had plenty of wonky poo poo too, as do DS3 and Bloodborne. Not a single one of them has, like, any kind of perfect hitboxes.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I generally agree, but I don't remember any hitbox being as egregious as the mimic's in Dark Souls 2. I think the presence of some stuff that was so *noticeable* made people prone to find other mistakes in a way that they weren't in the other games.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I generally agree, but I don't remember any hitbox being as egregious as the mimic's in Dark Souls 2. I think the presence of some stuff that was so *noticeable* made people prone to find other mistakes in a way that they weren't in the other games.

Grabs haven't been good in any of the games, but in DS2 it was definitely all about timing your dodge and not about positioning. I-frame or get grabbed, basically.

Interestingly, the mimics in DS3 also do the DS2 thing where their forward grab hits you even if you're behind them. :iiam:

e: that said, if we're talking egregious examples I think my least favorite hitbox-related thing is how bigger enemies in DS1 have collision on their hitboxes (titanite demons are exceptionally bad) meaning that even if you dodge the attack, your character will get dragged around awkwardly by the enemy model. They probably realized that this was lovely though, since there's much less of it in the sequels.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

KingSlime posted:

tell me more dawg

It's really fast for a straight sword, deals a relatively good amount of damage per hit (+5 ISS is only about 25-30AR below a +10 Dark Sword), swings for a pretty low amount of stamina, procs frostbite every 3-5 hits and looks sick as hell. I've wanted to use it since first picking it up way back in my first NG run, but it was garbage until the TRC patch.