Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

to be fair, I think he's nailed it

He is def mentally ill but he was claiming split personalities and 2 months to live due to colon cancer, stuff like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Customers who don't even give you a chance to screw something up before they're being lovely.

If the first thing you say after I ask if you need help is "could you put on some new gloves" as if I don't know food safety regulations, I'm probably just going to say "sure!" and then walk away. How about you just ask for what you want and, if I don't change my gloves or I make some other mistake, you correct me, instead of presuming everyone you deal with on a daily basis is choking on their own drool?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

wtf why

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Europe. For some reason even though it regularly gets hotter than it ever got when I lived in Florida here, they don't feel like it's necessary. It's like that scene in ace venture when nature calls in the rhino in the summer here when it's 100+ degrees and all you have is a fan.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Bees. It's getting to be springtime so my yard is full of bees and it's getting too warm to not have my windows at least cracked open (no AC). They inevitably fly in and just cannot for the life of them find the way back out. They will fly into the closed half of the window for hours if you let them. I don't want to kill you idiot bugs but you make it hard sometimes. I don't have time to hide in the bathroom for the 2 hours it takes you to find the way you came in again, especially considering you'll fly in again a couple minutes later.

Why don't you have screens?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Why don't you have screens?

For whatever reason they don't seem to be a thing here. All 3 apartments I've rented in Europe have had zero screens and I don't think I've seen a place around that had them either.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Europe. For some reason even though it regularly gets hotter than it ever got when I lived in Florida here, they don't feel like it's necessary. It's like that scene in ace venture when nature calls in the rhino in the summer here when it's 100+ degrees and all you have is a fan.

Where in Europe do you live? I have a hard time believing that it EVER gets hotter than Florida anywhere north of the Alps.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Blue Star posted:

Where in Europe do you live? I have a hard time believing that it EVER gets hotter than Florida anywhere north of the Alps.

Right now I live in Heidelberg, germany. It broke 100 several times last summer. It's supposed to be the one of the hottest regions in europe, something about the mountains, I don't know. All I know is summers here aren't pleasant.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

For whatever reason they don't seem to be a thing here. All 3 apartments I've rented in Europe have had zero screens and I don't think I've seen a place around that had them either.

That's super hosed up and I'm so sorry.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

The guy in timefly's post just sounds like a depressed alcoholic. The sweat stuff especially reminded me of a friend who was really bad with alcohol. Any exertion whatsoever, even just walking 2 blocks to the bus stop (or even eating, and not just with spicy food) and his head would start breaking out in sweat. It was gross.

I had a friend who drank heavily / was probably an alcoholic and he would sweat buckets constantly. It was gross and weird.

Current driving peeve: people who drift in and out of lanes, drive half in two lanes, don't indicate when changing lanes, etc. I feel like several times a day I either have to jump on the brakes or honk my horn because some halfwit is about to swerve into me. I don't understand, staying in your lane is, like, step 1 in how to drive. When did it become something that people think is just a suggestion?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think the general assumption is that you put in your own. You don't have to go whole hog, get some super cheap ones that are just adhesive velcro + screen fabric and they do the job fine.

e: my related pet peeve is coworkers leaving the window open all day in summer because a) wasps get in and, with 10-12 foot high ceilings, not back out anytime soon, and b) all the hot air from outside comes in.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
People who ride motorcycles without helmets or wearing proper gear. Not to mention we live on a road where people love to speed down on their motorcycles, so the noise can be irritating as well.

Every now and then a law about wearing helmets will be proposed here in Iowa but it keeps being voted down because I people don't want the government to tell them what to do, even if it's in their best interest. I used to live in Missouri, which requires helmets. I know they think that crashes will never happen to them but in our town we recently had someone in his twenties die after speeding without a helmet (then again he was also drunk, ran a red light, and was speeding).

Also, people in this town drive so slow. I'm not asking people to go 45 MPH in a 35 zone but it would be nice if I could drive the speed limit and not 15 to 20 MPH. Oh, and I wish there were more green left-turn arrows here. It's all green yield lights and when traffic is heavy it's possible to sit through an entire green light without being able to turn.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'm also in Iowa and in my neighborhood I mostly see motorcyclists that are wearing protective gear, traveling at a safe speed, obeying all traffic laws, and loving redlining their loud as poo poo engine nonstop because they are too lazy to shift out of first gear.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I'm also in Iowa and in my neighborhood I mostly see motorcyclists that are wearing protective gear, traveling at a safe speed, obeying all traffic laws, and loving redlining their loud as poo poo engine nonstop because they are too lazy to shift out of first gear.

Congrats on living in a town smarter than the one I live in, I guess.

Davealicious
May 8, 2007

Right now I live in Heidelberg, germany. It broke 100 several times last summer. It's supposed to be the one of the hottest regions in europe, something about the mountains, I don't know. All I know is summers here aren't pleasant.

Try to find some like this. They're adjustable, and you just open the window, insert the screen and close the window on top of them to hold them up. Also pretty cheap!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/W-B-Marvin-37-in-x-10-in-Aluminum-Adjustable-Window-Screen-AWS1037/202094103

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Davealicious posted:

Try to find some like this. They're adjustable, and you just open the window, insert the screen and close the window on top of them to hold them up. Also pretty cheap!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/W-B-Marvin-37-in-x-10-in-Aluminum-Adjustable-Window-Screen-AWS1037/202094103

I improvised something like that when I lived in Zurich with curtain rods and tape. the problem here is the main window I'd like to have open while I'm at the computer is not a standard size, it's like 8 ft long by 4 tall. I think I'll probably just have to deal with the bees.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My Lovely Horse posted:

e: my related pet peeve is coworkers leaving the window open all day in summer because a) wasps get in and, with 10-12 foot high ceilings, not back out anytime soon, and b) all the hot air from outside comes in.

I few years ago I worked at a restaurant situated right next to a river. That summer was particularly hot, so coworkers would prop the doors open. Do you know what summer evening plus river equals in lower mainland British Columbia? A fuckton of mosquitos.
And they never learned. Every night there would be a swarm in the restaurant, landing on people and their food, flying into my face while I was trying to cook... Buy an a/c and keep the god drat doors closed you idiots.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

No poo poo, my family is from there. The couple of times we've visited in the summer it's been brutal as gently caress. I feel your pain.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Visiting my father's family in Italy in the summertime was horrible when I was a kid for the same reason: no A/C, no screens on windows. The mosquitoes would eat me and my brother alive at night, and the heat and humidity was so bad we would try to sleep on the cool tile floor for relief.

Apparently my family thought A/C was bad for your health because of the shock from the quick temperature change, going from the heat outside to the cold inside. I remember trying to explain to them in rudimentary Italian that this was clearly not true because A) everyone in the US has A/C and doesn't get sick from it, B) you don't get sick in the wintertime going from the warm house to the cold outside, so it doesn't work like that in the summer either, and C) germ theory.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
The stupid elevator doors here at work are the devil. You know how normally if an elevator door starts to close, you can put your arm out and it will stop and reopen? Yeah, this elevator door is not having any of that poo poo. It will continue barrelling along and smash close, regardless of whatever is in its way. Today it got me real good on my left arm, and now I have a big painful welt and likely a bruise to follow.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
My company thought it was a good idea to hold a global IT conference in Orlando in June. All the Italians wore sweaters every day even though it wasn't terribly cold in the conference rooms (mostly because the rest of the Europeans dressed for summer and demanded the AC be set to a higher temperature). Apparently it is really important to be as warm as possible at all times.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

lavaca posted:

My company thought it was a good idea to hold a global IT conference in Orlando in June. All the Italians wore sweaters every day even though it wasn't terribly cold in the conference rooms (mostly because the rest of the Europeans dressed for summer and demanded the AC be set to a higher temperature). Apparently it is really important to be as warm as possible at all times.

Lol. I was in Italy this February. Down on the Amalfi coast it got to about 20°C, and being Canadians in February, my husband and I were wearing tank tops and sandals and loving life. The locals on the other hand were rocking literal parkas and scarves, and looked at us like we were insane.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

genetic_knockout posted:

Lol. I was in Italy this February. Down on the Amalfi coast it got to about 20°C, and being Canadians in February, my husband and I were wearing tank tops and sandals and loving life. The locals on the other hand were rocking literal parkas and scarves, and looked at us like we were insane.

This is me as a Midwesterner in San Diego during the winter. A morning temperature in the 50's does not require a jacket.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

I've met more than a few people who worked in IT or technology in some capacity who assume I don't know how to operate my phone/tablet/computer and try to make me give it to them to "show me how to do it"

It's like I've been using computers since I was 11, sure I never worked with computers professionally but that doesn't mean I can't figure out how to download something or whatever they think I must be struggling with

The other day they wanted me to take a picture with my friend's phone and he tried to show me how to open and operate the camera app :psyduck:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Quick question; do you look (or are) over 40? I've noticed a lot of people seem to think 40 is the magic cutoff age for no longer being able to work technology.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I started a new job as a line cook about a month ago at a fairly well known Canadian franchise. I've enjoyed it so far, though I am quite overqualified for the position. There are over 100 items on the menu, most of which I've already mastered. However, this hasn't stopped my manager from nagging me to complete the online course that, I guess, goes along with the job.
An online course that I don't get paid for, and must be done during my free time.
I did learn quite a bit about the history of the company which was neat, but when it comes to the preparation, cooking, and presentation of food, I learned all of that on the job.
The course also covers topics which my resume clearly states I am already certified in, such as WHMIS, Food Safe, and First Aid.
"That's cool," you may say, "people who don't have those qualifications can get them through the online learning!"
Nope. I've asked. No certification is actually awarded. No one I work with who has only done this bullshit online lesson has been given anything for their effort.
Yet, for some reason, they're all so content with being dicked over.

So my pet peeve today is:
DON'T GIVE YOUR EMPLOYEES HOMEWORK.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

timefly posted:

I've met more than a few people who worked in IT or technology in some capacity who assume I don't know how to operate my phone/tablet/computer and try to make me give it to them to "show me how to do it"

It's like I've been using computers since I was 11, sure I never worked with computers professionally but that doesn't mean I can't figure out how to download something or whatever they think I must be struggling with

The other day they wanted me to take a picture with my friend's phone and he tried to show me how to open and operate the camera app :psyduck:

Are you a woman?

If not, this is the non-gendered equivalent of mansplaining. Techsplaining, if you will.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Yep I'm a woman but 29 and young-looking. You're probably right, sigh

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

timefly posted:

Yep I'm a woman but 29 and young-looking. You're probably right, sigh

This happened when I worked at GameStop all the time. I was the interim manager for a couple months and customers would still trust the other (male) employees over me :(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That kind of stuff happens constantly, it's why our shithead supervisor will frequently double-check my female billing manager's numbers with my male maintenance manager, even though our maintenance manager has no experience with billing and our billing manager has been doing it just fine for years.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

timefly posted:

I hate when people ask me to take a picture with their phone without at least opening the app first, because their home screen is inevitably some complete mess with customized icons and you have to swipe over 4 screens of games and personal banking apps to find the folder they hid the camera app in. Just open the app for me or don't clutter your screen to the point where it's impossible to find anything!

Inspector 34 has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Apr 12, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Cleretic's Body: Okay, time to be awake at 4:30 in the morning for no reason! I've had enough sleep, no point in feeling tired!

Cleretic's Brain: Huh. It's pretty early in the morning, I'm not going back to sleep, I don't have any stimuli... y'know what, now is a perfect time to get introspective and existential.

Cleretic's Cleretic: Damnit... :smith:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cleretic posted:

Cleretic's Body: Okay, time to be awake at 4:30 in the morning for no reason! I've had enough sleep, no point in feeling tired!

Cleretic's Brain: Huh. It's pretty early in the morning, I'm not going back to sleep, I don't have any stimuli... y'know what, now is a perfect time to get introspective and existential.

Edited out a badly thought out joke. my body clock's always doing that. My Sympathies on your broken Circadian rhythm.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:48 on Apr 12, 2017

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

people who just sit in their car in the parking lots around here and play thumpy bass music and don't go anywhere :shepface:

I wanna have my goddamn windows open! it's nice out and I want to save electricity! go away!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Yo, me too.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Cleretic posted:

For me it's "well, the birds are trying to get their gently caress on at 4:30-6 am (depending on time of year) and aren't going to shut up any time soon, time to get up". I have gone to sleep at 330 in the morning after having like a liter of liquor and still woken up with the birds a few hours later, I can't seem to avoid it no matter how much I'd like to.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Inspector 34 posted:

I hate when people ask me to take a picture with their phone without at least opening the app first, because their home screen is inevitably some complete mess with customized icons and you have to swipe over 4 screens of games and personal banking apps to find the folder they hid the camera app in. Just open the app for me or don't clutter your screen to the point where it's impossible to find anything!

On Android, you can just hit the home button twice to open the camera from anywhere.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Snoo posted:

people who just sit in their car in the parking lots around here and play thumpy bass music and don't go anywhere :shepface:

I wanna have my goddamn windows open! it's nice out and I want to save electricity! go away!

I live across from a high school parking lot. Students do this. Staff and faculty do this. Smoking faculty will leave the lot and park their cars in front of our house to pump bass and smoke cigarettes. It's great.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Gloryhold It! posted:

On Android, you can just hit the home button twice to open the camera from anywhere.

Just tried this on my Xperia running Android 7.0 and it doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

cyberia posted:

Just tried this on my Xperia running Android 7.0 and it doesn't work.

might be a galaxy thing then, i dunno