Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

So the weirdest part about this entry is that Redstone didn't die at the end of the Squadron mini. I mean, he had basically no actual character or impact in the series so I don't care that much but it's weird that they randomly decided he was dead (the dude has no actual name, for example). Also it's possible he was supposed to be Native American which is kind of terrible.

(I'm only guessing that based on him being colored funny in the original printings and combining that with the horrifying truth about Asp from the Serpent Squad that was revealed to me in another one of the threads here.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TripleU posted:

I ain't got my glasses on but I ain't see it -- just mentions of Left-Winger and Right-Winger. My bad! Loving this thread, regardless.
Nah, you're right. I referenced the story but omitted Battlestar. I'm so deep into GruCap I didn't realize I mentioned the story but left Young BUC out of it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Michael Redstone (actual name) is Apache, and derives his powers from his contact with the ground. He died in Death of a Universe due to going into orbit.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

NorgLyle posted:

So the weirdest part about this entry is that Redstone didn't die at the end of the Squadron mini. I mean, he had basically no actual character or impact in the series so I don't care that much but it's weird that they randomly decided he was dead (the dude has no actual name, for example). Also it's possible he was supposed to be Native American which is kind of terrible.

(I'm only guessing that based on him being colored funny in the original printings and combining that with the horrifying truth about Asp from the Serpent Squad that was revealed to me in another one of the threads here.)

Redstone died in the Squadron Supreme: Death of a Universe graphic novel. He actually got a thin shred of characterization as the Redeemer who was overseeing the Squadron's dismantling of their Utopia Program; he was pissed off that they weren't going fast enough. Then the Squadron members who were still alive at the end of the mini all got in a jet to go fly into space to try and stop their universe from being destroyed, and once they left the atmosphere Redstone sickened and died; it was briefly theorized that his strength came from a connection with the Earth, like Antaeus of myth, and when that connection was lost he kicked it. There was maybe two panels of addressing this in total.

This is the same GN where Inertia tried to use her powers to push back the Big Glowy Thing that was going to eat the sun and the resultant feedback literally turned her into a fine red mist. A lot happened very fast, is what I'm getting at. I'm not sure why Gruenwald decided that that would be a good capstone to the Squadron - unless, now that I think of it, he was going for a kind of Crisis pastiche? That would fit him - but it was pretty brutal.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

Ronald McDonald?

I'm lovin' it (your post)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Whizzer

quote:

original golden age heroes

quote:

Golden Archer
stop

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does Ape-X have a handbook entry? I remember her having a pretty "Silver Age DC" design.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I can only assume that Whizzer is an alternate universe Charlie Brown.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Green Intern posted:

I can only assume that Whizzer is an alternate universe Charlie Brown.

The Kite Man Charlie Brown?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Does anyone mind if I jack this thread but for DC's Who's Who?

Lurdiak posted:

I always found it neat how the far future guardians of the galaxy were inspired by classic Marvel heroes, especially Cap.

I like how the Jim Valentino GotG is full of crazy poo poo like a street gang inspired by the Punisher or Simon Williams, except instead of Wonder Man he's now Hollywood and has white hair and green wraparound shades.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should start a separate thread for DC.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

You should start a separate thread for DC.

That's what I meant, jack the thread's concept.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does Ape-X have a handbook entry? I remember her having a pretty "Silver Age DC" design.

Is that a Peter David name?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I'm one of the people who really enjoyed the brief early 90s push for Wonder Man.

It has always confused me that people don't do more with him but at this point he's been dead and resurrected so many times that I'm not even sure what his deal is. Did he ever get over his random pacifism from the beginning of Uncanny Avengers?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

I like how the Jim Valentino GotG is full of crazy poo poo like a street gang inspired by the Punisher or Simon Williams, except instead of Wonder Man he's now Hollywood and has white hair and green wraparound shades.

I liked the Stark, who formed a cargo cult around a spaceship full of Iron Man armour that Tony Stark shot into space to prevent the Badoon from getting hold of it.

Valentino's greatest creation for GOTG, though:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked the Stark, who formed a cargo cult around a spaceship full of Iron Man armour that Tony Stark shot into space to prevent the Badoon from getting hold of it.

Valentino's greatest creation for GOTG, though:

I've never been sure if Valentino was trying to make fun of the 90s xtreme stuff through his work (this and Shadowhawk too) or if he was just trying to make an enjoyable version of it, kind of like what that recent Bloodstrike revamp was.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lightning Lord posted:

Does anyone mind if I jack this thread but for DC's Who's Who?

Sure, I was hoping someone would do a DC ripoff thread since I don't have those books. I think they're a bit more history intensive like the early Marvel Handbooks though.

Day 50: M.O.D.O.K.

The greatest character ever? Possibly so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

We're missing a really important part of this:

https://twitter.com/philhester/status/851545794716946432

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd really rather not see MODONK

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

That's his cousin G.O.D.O.T. - Genital Organism Designed Only for Thrilling

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

That's his cousin G.O.D.O.T. - Genital Organism Designed Only for Thrilling

I'm waiting for him.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Fun! I was going to say Mental Organism Designed Only for FUN!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Reminder that Matt Fraction introduced MODOGS in his Iron Man run, only to make them just super evil MODOK clones (designed only for GENOCIDE)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

George? GEORGE?!

I never knew MODOK had a regular person name. And it's loving George.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He's back to just being George now, and he's not doing too great. Turns out being MODOK for a decade+ is emotionally traumatizing.

But don't worry, MODOK made a clone before he got reverted, because he realized his human limitations and obsessive nature were going to keep him from achieving his goals. The new MODOK is mostly the same, but is slightly more chill.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I get that MODOK's design lends itself to jokes in the irony-soaked present day, but that's a little tiresome and fatuous considering that MODOK was not only an early example of body horror but a legitimate threat in the MU. I think the last time he was taken seriously at the level at which he was originally conceived was that insane MODOK Virus storyline in Priest's "Captain America and the Falcon". Since then it's been just like ha ha surly big head guy, which is a waste.

Also his death, as listed in that Handbook entry, was hosed up by the standards of its time, and really played to the body horror aspect of MODOK:

He's just a helpless, pitiful freak here.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Isn't he brought back as a mindless animated corpse a year or so later in... I want to say Denny O'Neil's Iron Man? That really pushed the body-horror aspect too (and always reminds of the frankly horrifying New Mutants issue where Warlock inhabits Doug Ramsey's slack-jawed cadaver).

I think you're right that that aspect of abject revulsion and monstrosity has been missing from MODOK but I think he's been used well here and there in recent years. For all of its flaws I thought Nick Spencer's Secret Avengers was strong on its villains, and I liked his MODOK in particular. When Ales Kot took over I thought his sense of hyperbolic camp goofiness meshed better with MODOK than it did a lot of other aspects of that book. And really I think the spider-body design is solid and could lend itself to that sense of violent disquiet that Kirby got out of him.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

He's actually a double-reference. Note he's credited as Whizzer II - this is because The Whizzer was one of Marvel's original golden age heroes

Whizzer I was one of the Six Forgotten Warriors in the 90s Spider-Man animated series story arc of the same name. They were a team from World War 2 (and so were all elderly) with connections to Captain America who was trapped in another dimension wrestling Red Skull for 50 years, etc.

Upon introducing himself as The Whizzer and getting an incredulous reaction from Spider-Man he just says "It was a different time, okay?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man it's bad enough being called the Whizzer in the first place, imagine having to introduce yourself to Spider-Man of all people. You're never gonna live it down.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Whizzer I was one of the Six Forgotten Warriors in the 90s Spider-Man animated series story arc of the same name. They were a team from World War 2 (and so were all elderly) with connections to Captain America who was trapped in another dimension wrestling Red Skull for 50 years, etc.

Upon introducing himself as The Whizzer and getting an incredulous reaction from Spider-Man he just says "It was a different time, okay?"

Wasn't Electro like Red Skull's son or something? I just remember those episodes leading to an Electro action figure with his Revenge of the Sinister Six cannons, and a Captain America with a dinky little shield. I think that line had a light up gimmick.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Wasn't Electro like Red Skull's son or something?

Electro was Red Skull's (initially) unpowered son. Chameleon was Red Skull's adopted son with no relation to Kraven, I think?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Electro was supposed to be the main villain in the James Cameron Spidey movie that never happened so that's why he debuted so late in the game and with a different origin.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Brofessor Slayton posted:

That episode was a bit odd because it replaced The Invaders with, essentially, the All-Winners Squad as Cap's WW2 team.

Wasn't Electro like Red Skull's son or something? I just remember those episodes leading to an Electro action figure with his Revenge of the Sinister Six cannons, and a Captain America with a dinky little shield. I think that line had a light up gimmick.

Yeah they did a totally different take on Electro where he was the son of Red Skull and had powers on a level that would scare Magneto. There's a scene where he shows up on every single screen in the world and decides to stop a bunch of car batteries in London or something, just because he can.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Nightbatmanhawk is conspicuously absent from that lineup. Did they want to avoid confusion with the 616 Nighthawk? (aka the only OG Squadron Sinister member that ever went sort of anywhere)

Hyperion was great recently in Avengers, like post humanist Superman.

edit:

Lightning Lord posted:

I've never been sure if Valentino was trying to make fun of the 90s xtreme stuff through his work (this and Shadowhawk too) or if he was just trying to make an enjoyable version of it, kind of like what that recent Bloodstrike revamp was.

Holy poo poo Shadowhawk.

quote:

Later in his career (and as his lifespan shortened due to the progression of HIV to AIDS), Johnstone eventually grew to be less violent. He encounters Trencher and his dispatcher Phoebe; who agrees to assist him in his search for a cure to his infection or another way to extend his life. This led to encounters with the likes of [2] Youngblood's Chapel (another hero also infected with HIV), Bloodstrike and Shadowhawk team-up with each other in the hopes of finding a cure, he then teams up with the WildC.A.T.s. (who offered a possible solution involving a robotic body to transplant Johnstone's consciousness into - which would ultimately fail to work),

That guy deserves a thread. Imagine just pages upon pages of spreads of a guy in metallic chrome yelling about having AIDs. I mean it was kind of awesome.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 11, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Hyperion was great recently in Avengers, like post humanist Superman.

Yeah but that was a different Hyperion. Who's also a different Hyperion than King Hyperion. Who's also a different Hyperion than the one from Thunderbolts. Nighthawk is, as far as I understand it, the original Nighthawk from the classic Squadron Sinister story in Avengers, and has been active as a c-list to d-list superhero for a long time, usually as part of teams.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Shageletic posted:

Holy poo poo Shadowhawk.

That guy deserves a thread. Imagine just pages upon pages of spreads of a guy in metallic chrome yelling about having AIDs. I mean it was kind of awesome.

Now imagine a ten year old boy pretending to be Shadowhawk as his friend acts like Spawn. That was me. I also have the entire card set. Never owned or read a Shadowhawk comic.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Holy poo poo Shadowhawk.

Like I said, not sure if Valentino was taking the piss out of X-TREME COMI-X or what :shrug:

Now imagine a ten year old boy pretending to be Shadowhawk as his friend acts like Spawn. That was me. I also have the entire card set. Never owned or read a Shadowhawk comic.

So how many spines did you break?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Shadowhawk was such a weird series of comics, and I do kind of get the impression Valentino was at least half-parodying the trends of the day. His even potentially "straight faced" superhero work is limited almost entirely to Guardians of the Galaxy and Shadowhawk, and both of those are questionable. He's a dude that broke into comics 30+ years ago by pitching "normalman" parody strips in the back of Cerebus, has spent the majority of his time outside of those two properties working either in autobiographic/roman a clef comics or things that are straight up silly (Normalman, Samurai Penguin, Sonic the Hedgehog vs. Sabrina the Teenage Witch(?))

From the bits and pieces of Shadowhawk I remember, it very very quickly went from "A GUY BREAKS BACKS AND HAS AIDS" to "breaking people's back is really lovely" to "what if there was a Silver Age Shadowhawk?" to "what if like, there are Shadowhawks throughout the millenia?" to "uh I dunno, what if a new Shadowhawk fights corporate crime? Can you break a corporation's back? Also who wants to write this, not me!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hot 90s fact: Shadowhawk almost had a game released for the SNES, but apparently Valentino didn't budget for the cost of printing the cartridges(:psyduck:), so he pulled the plug at the very last minute, after the entire game was done. It remained unreleased for decades until the rom recently surfaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uZI7S5OdRI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't Valentino also the de facto head of the business side of Image for a good long while?

• Locked thread