Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

MrFlibble posted:

They should be available for a week. I mean - they're made to order so even being stupidly popular shouldn't cause them to sell out like all the new Bloodbowl releases or SW:A.

I'm pretty sure they've sold out on Made to Order stuff in the past in only a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maximum allotted machine time?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MrFlibble posted:

They should be available for a week. I mean - they're made to order so even being stupidly popular shouldn't cause them to sell out like all the new Bloodbowl releases or SW:A.

And if anything I believe the previous made to order runs would "sell out" of the less popular things because they decided to do more runs of the things they were getting more orders for, something weird like that.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's simple logistics. They will be aiming to make the bare minimum of items to cover the orders. If something isn't selling well they will get as close to filling a production run as they can and then mark it as sold out. Taking orders that would require an additional run doesn't make sense below a certain threshold.

If something sells extremely well, like Canoness Veridyan, then I would expect them to keep opening up more stock every time the number of "inform me when it's in stock" notifications hit the threshold to make a run worthwhile. Even if it goes beyond the planned window.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Would anyone be interested in buying a Chaos Dwarf team with 2 bull centaurs and selling me the second?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
If kasrkin ever go on MtO again, I'm buying them. Those were some lovely models.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Holy poo poo there's a lot of plastic in the SW:A box. I've been gluing terrain together for a few hours, not even a third done here.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Atlas Hugged posted:

Would anyone be interested in buying a Chaos Dwarf team with 2 bull centaurs and selling me the second?

Just in case there was a miscommunication and this isn't you worried about the things selling out - you can buy bull centaurs separately. They're pretty expensive, either way (£15 each in the uk, the team without them is £32).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

MrFlibble posted:

Just in case there was a miscommunication and this isn't you worried about the things selling out - you can buy bull centaurs separately. They're pretty expensive, either way (£15 each in the uk, the team without them is £32).

Sorry, I missed the end of the sentence where you said you could buy things separately. My bad. Wow that is expensive.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Atlas Hugged posted:

Sorry, I missed the end of the sentence where you said you could buy things separately. My bad. Wow that is expensive.

I'm not shocked by it - they're pretty much big guys and GW has always figured it can get away with charging through the nose for them. Its still cheaper than ebay prices.

Looking at the old catalog - If they bring back Vampires, pro elf or Undead I'll pick those up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

MrFlibble posted:

I'm not shocked by it - they're pretty much big guys and GW has always figured it can get away with charging through the nose for them. Its still cheaper than ebay prices.

Looking at the old catalog - If they bring back Vampires, pro elf or Undead I'll pick those up.

This is certainly true. I don't really need anymore Chaos Dwarves or hobgoblins and I already have a minotaur, so for me the second bull centaur is basically the only thing I need to purchase to have a complete roster. I'm sort of tempted to buy a whole new team though just because the hobgoblins and dwarves were painted when I was in high school and they look terrible. I could strip them, but it's kind of neat having a living testament to how much I've improved as a painter.

Crab-Stuffed
Jul 24, 2006

(Bought Shadow Wars: Armageddon)

Today is a dark day, a terrible day, a day I gave Games Workshop some of my hard-earned dollars. I was forced to elbow aside a small child who stood in my way since he wouldn't respect the sanctity of the line. My wallet groaned at the register in sync to his tears.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
A single bull centaur is $25.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SW:A Rulebook pre-orders starting on the 22nd: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/09/shadow-war-armageddon-the-rules-available-soon/

gently caress you, eBay scalpers

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Zark the Damned posted:

SW:A Rulebook pre-orders starting on the 22nd: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/09/shadow-war-armageddon-the-rules-available-soon/

And with Inquisition and sisters like loads of people were asking for.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wow, taking a whole new book to print with all the faction rules and additional rules for Inquisitors and Sisters? That's a really cool move. If this is a portent of things to come, its very encouraging.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014
I've been out of the loop for a really long time in GW products. Anyone have a reasonable guess how much the rule book will end up costing?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I would guess at between £25 & £35 If they are smart they will keep it as low as they reasonably can.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'd prob be fine with ~40, since the cost of entry is otherwise super low.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Awesome. I'm sure there's going to be come complaints about the rules not being free, but from what I've seen they're worth it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am hoping that they put the faction lists for Inquisition and Sisters out free, like the others, because it would kind of suck to have to buy a book to use them (especially for people that did buy the full set). It would be great if they just made the base rules free, sure, but this sort of immediate response to the community is pretty great. Now if they would work out their PDF vs. hardcopy pricing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They've said the Sisters and Inquisition lists will be up for free on the 23rd.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

First time in years I've regretted selling my sisters force.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zark the Damned posted:

That's two weeks from now though, and shadow war has already been out for over a week. They should really just put out the basic rules for free, and then if people really want to buy the hardback book by the time they have it ready, sell that too.

GW continually shoots themselves in the foot. There are millions of people who want to play SW:A right now. They should be trying to profit off that hype; not stifle it.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

That's two weeks from now though, and shadow war has already been out for over a week. They should really just put out the basic rules for free, and then if people really want to buy the hardback book by the time they have it ready, sell that too.

GW continually shoots themselves in the foot. There are millions of people who want to play SW:A right now. They should be trying to profit off that hype; not stifle it.

Considering they obviously had no idea how popular it was going to be, getting a standalone book out with all the extra content along with two additional factions within a month of the boxed release is basically the opposite of shooting themselves in the foot. That's a pretty impressive turnaround. People wait months for games to be released, if it's good the hype isn't going to die down in a few weeks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shadin posted:

Considering they obviously had no idea how popular it was going to be, getting a standalone book out with all the extra content along with two additional factions within a month of the boxed release is basically the opposite of shooting themselves in the foot. That's a pretty impressive turnaround. People wait months for games to be released, if it's good the hype isn't going to die down in a few weeks.

Getting the standalone book out with all the extra content sounds impressive, but its really just tacking a 10 page pdf onto a 20 page pdf and then setting it up for printing in hardcover. Its not nothing but its not a ton of work. The two new factions are the only bits that require work beyond formatting. Still, a couple weeks is good turnaround, but even being in this situation in the first place is a mistake you can't just ignore.

Its good they're releasing the two new factions as a free pdf for people who bought the initial release and the initial rules, but having to pull that stuff shows how caught with their pants down they really were by this.

Its necromunda, a beloved and out of print game, updated for playing with 40k models that people already have or letting people get into 40k for way cheaper. If they were smart they would have been pushing this as the new way to get into 40k already, instead of pushing it out as a small boxed game and assuming it'll just die on the shelves. They need to do some market research or something, although that's nothing we haven't said about GW before.

They did pretty much the same thing with the blood bowl re-release. They released the box version and it sold like hotcakes (because people like blood bowl and the pc games have been taking off) and GW had to scramble to put together some tournament rules, and the initial rulebook was pretty drat thin and weak for the cost. Blood bowl rules should have been made free too IMO. Get people into the game, then they'll buy more of your stuff. Too big of a barrier to entry and it stays as this tiny niche. The more players you have in leagues, the more value the product has to other customers.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

you are vastly overestimating the popularity of playing with plastic dollies

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

you are vastly overestimating the popularity of playing with plastic dollies

Internationally there's gotta be like at least a million plastic dollie players eh? I guess not all of those give a poo poo about GW products but they're a pretty major player.

But yeah whatever, should have said "loads of people".

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Thundercloud posted:

And with Inquisition and sisters like loads of people were asking for.

Still no Deathwatch :crossarms:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

ineptmule posted:

Still no Deathwatch :crossarms:

Probably unlikely with them being a Space Marine Spec Ops option, maybe at some point.

Hoping for Homonculi Covens myself. Always wanted to do a Wrack army but gently caress doing a full 40k one.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
It just seems ludicrous to have Grey Knights fighting on Armageddon and not also have Deathwatch.

Not that it matters, I'ma homebrew some DW rules right... about... now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

There's a DW Veteran available as a Special Operative. I expect they won't get their own faction list because they've got variable stats against xenos, and Armageddon's got them almost guaranteed to be fighting them most of the time.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Shadin posted:

Awesome. I'm sure there's going to be come complaints about the rules not being free, but from what I've seen they're worth it.

Well, in all honesty, it should be. This is a rule set that GW had posted for free on it's site for years, along with the other SG games. Aside from some minor changes (which it looks like they cribbed from the NM Community Edition anyway) and some campaign table changes, it's the same game. Considering this is a gateway game that would encourage people to buy models outside their normal army, as well as terrain purchases, it would have been really nice to see this as a free post on their site.

But, of course, they didn't do that with BB either, so I guess I can't really expect too much.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

They've said the Sisters and Inquisition lists will be up for free on the 23rd.
At least they're doing this - the cynical side of me fully expected this to be only included in the reprint, forcing everyone to buy it if they wanted those two forces. They should put the Scouts, Orks, and IG as free PDFs as well, just for completion's sake.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Who wants to buy as $60 box of metal sisters?!

Seriously, at this point, SoS cost the same (which is sad) and you can probably give them Marine special weapons to make them look the part.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The timehole special edition that brings 30k forces in will be released by Forgeworld at £6 per unit.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I don't really follow GW anymore, so I didn't realize they'd made Sisters of Silence models. They shouldn't have, they look like poo poo.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Just because I'm not buying any new miniatures doesn't mean I can't go stupid with the ones that I have/can assemble. How's this for a CSM list that's Alpha Legion inspired?

Salient points: I hate Nurgle, I like the closeted loyalist angle and I wanted to get more cultists so I could use them as overwatch canaries.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
idk what models you have but you have a few wasted points you could free up to make room for cultists, which you really need. the whole point of CSM is to have four marines backed up by as many cultists as you can cram in

the sword on the champ is really doing nothing, if a fighter is holding a gun they don't even get an extra dice for attacking with two weapons so you're paying 15 points for a parry... bolt pistols are not significantly worse than bolters in this game, the rules def nudge you towards taking them on fighters that you intend to use as melee beatsticks. i like taking just a power sword on him, stow the knife when he enters hand-to-hand combat so all of the hits are quality power sword hits unless you REALLY need the extra attack for that combat. the way i see it, a turn spent shooting a pistol is a turn spent not running towards the enemy

tzeentch marines are fine, a pistol instead of the boltgun wouldn't be awful as the +2 to hit at 8" and closer is nice and you can use them in melee, where it's a pretty decent weapon with the -3 sv

the slaanesh guy, unless you're committed to the chainsword for fluff reasons or character, i'd drop it. total waste of points. they are a god drat ripoff on space marines they should cost 15 at most and the regular sword 10

the havoc - heavy bolters are way better than autocannons for most purposes but i suspect this is a model you already have and you probably don't have a heavy bolter havoc lying around... i'd rather take a plasma gun than an autocannon tbqh, i'd try to bring 2 plasma gunners in any starting CSM list

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Phyresis posted:

idk what models you have but you have a few wasted points you could free up to make room for cultists, which you really need. the whole point of CSM is to have four marines backed up by as many cultists as you can cram in

the sword on the champ is really doing nothing, if a fighter is holding a gun they don't even get an extra dice for attacking with two weapons so you're paying 15 points for a parry... bolt pistols are not significantly worse than bolters in this game, the rules def nudge you towards taking them on fighters that you intend to use as melee beatsticks. i like taking just a power sword on him, stow the knife when he enters hand-to-hand combat so all of the hits are quality power sword hits unless you REALLY need the extra attack for that combat. the way i see it, a turn spent shooting a pistol is a turn spent not running towards the enemy

tzeentch marines are fine, a pistol instead of the boltgun wouldn't be awful as the +2 to hit at 8" and closer is nice and you can use them in melee, where it's a pretty decent weapon with the -3 sv

the slaanesh guy, unless you're committed to the chainsword for fluff reasons or character, i'd drop it. total waste of points. they are a god drat ripoff on space marines they should cost 15 at most and the regular sword 10

the havoc - heavy bolters are way better than autocannons for most purposes but i suspect this is a model you already have and you probably don't have a heavy bolter havoc lying around... i'd rather take a plasma gun than an autocannon tbqh, i'd try to bring 2 plasma gunners in any starting CSM list

I'm just a very confused man. The natural instinct is to make a melee leader, but I'd much rather have a regular marine as a melee beatstick, and having bolter leader is strange... I also love autocannons for some reason, and it would be easier for me to assemble one. At the same time, it's more CSM iconic than the plasmagun. How about a flamer?

EDIT: I don't have anything besides an autogun cultist proxy and I would be assembling the team from parts I have laying around. I do have lot of HB's from Prospero box!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

JcDent posted:

I'm just a very confused man. The natural instinct is to make a melee leader, but I'd much rather have a regular marine as a melee beatstick, and having bolter leader is strange... I also love autocannons for some reason, and it would be easier for me to assemble one. At the same time, it's more CSM iconic than the plasmagun. How about a flamer?

EDIT: I don't have anything besides an autogun cultist proxy and I would be assembling the team from parts I have laying around. I do have lot of HB's from Prospero box!

I'm an idiot, of course I want my leader to stab a fool, that's what being a Champ is all about. So giving the leader a power sword and a bolt pistol while making the slaaneshi marine a regular bolter marine and giving the gunner a plasma gun leaves me with 140 points... to get two autogun cultists instead of one and 15 points for... a photovisor?

JcDent fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 11, 2017