Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

btw: motoGP is fun, Vinales is the most obvious "next big thing" for years, death to Spain

I've got no grounding of the history MotoGP but Rossi seems to be clinging onto him. If he resolves the front tire issue it seems like he'd be able to take the fight to Vinales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Vinales doesn't have the wild streak which causes incidents like Marquez has, it'll be far harder for Rossi to try to beat him on consistency, I think.

Next race will be big for Marquez, he's won at COTA convincingly every year, so if he doesn't win this GP his title is in deep trouble.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also MotoGP had a double Honda DNF too, funny enough

e) I don't know what it is, but Rio Hondo (Argentina) seems to always have great races in MotoGP, that doesn't mean anything for F1, but I'd like to see them give that circuit a try

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 10, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Funny how terrible Lorenzo has been in the first two rounds.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Lorenzo will win a race by the end of the year. Rossi will not keep up with Vinales.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

He didn't exactly have a great 2016 either. Apparently Ducati was deciding between Lorenzo at $12m a year versus Marquez at $20m a year, and I think going with Lorenzo wasn't the right choice in that situation.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

From what I gather Ducati has historically been very difficult to drive for everyone but a handful of drivers, I think that might be a symptom of the desmodromic valve engine.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
oh btw, shoutout to Zarco, who is now my favorite rider because he's young and not loving Spanish, especially since I've become resigned to the fact that Iannone isn't going to pan out.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

1500quidporsche posted:

From what I gather Ducati has historically been very difficult to drive for everyone but a handful of drivers, I think that might be a symptom of the desmodromic valve engine.

They've made strides the last year or two but J Lo hasn't caught up with it yet.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Stoner was the only one who could make it work. Though I suspect Marquez would do alright since he doesn't seem to give a gently caress how unstable a bike is, the freak.

I'm amazed Lorenzo took the deal since he's awful unless the chassis is perfect and he also can't race in the wet worth a drat.

I remember Vinales first race in Moto 3 and I knew within 2 races he was going to be a front runner in MotoGp sooner or later. I suspect he'll spend his retirement cursing Marquez' existence curbing his successes though.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 10, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's funny how Nicky Hayden ended up arguably getting at least as much out of the Ducati as Rossi did

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

wicka posted:

I watched every second of that video.

:same:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Catching up on the race, finally.

Carth Dookie posted:

This entire season is just going to be 1000yardstare.gif :smith:

This whole season is him pushing that shitbox of a car beyond its limits so it breaks and they fix it sooner to try and deliver a WDC for Are Nando.

...gently caress this race

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Nando will get points or explode the car.

Animal driving

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

Catching up on the race, finally.

This whole season is him pushing that shitbox of a car beyond its limits so it breaks and they fix it sooner to try and deliver a WDC for Are Nando.

...gently caress this race

Its at the point where I would say if Honda came up with a new engine next race on par with Ferrari he could legitimately fight for the championship.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

learnincurve posted:

I must admit it says a lot about the taste and decency of this thread that everyone, including me, turned off the TV rather than watch Lewis collect his trophy and be interviewed by Brundle,

I watched the Ch4 highlights show - I was immensely amused that Ch4 straight up skipped the podium interviews since it wasn't one of their hosts doing the questions.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MjKBtJe4Fg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFH38CL1Ots

The race highlight is 50fps.

The official F1 youtube channel actually owns now.

Oh wow, didn't see this on the Channel 4 broadcast - Bottas spinning his car when trying to warm up the tyres under safety car. Rather embarrassing. Wasn't Bottas heavily praised under Williams for being very good at knowing how his tyres were doing?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

Its at the point where I would say if Honda came up with a new engine next race on par with Ferrari he could legitimately fight for the championship.

I don't disagree, and Nando calls that:

Norns posted:

Animal driving

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I guess a donkey is an animal.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Powershift posted:

I guess a donkey is an animal.

No, that's the MCL32

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GramCracker posted:

No, that's the MCL32

It's hard to gauge cadence. Maybe he said "i'm driving, like, an animal"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

wicka posted:

I said "Oh yes. Yes." when Jorge crashed on like turn 1 from like p16 today. That was perfect. If only their Max would do that.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
When does GP Predictor get updated?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

andyf posted:

Oh wow, didn't see this on the Channel 4 broadcast - Bottas spinning his car when trying to warm up the tyres under safety car. Rather embarrassing. Wasn't Bottas heavily praised under Williams for being very good at knowing how his tyres were doing?

Praise from Williams is, er, not particularly a benchmark to aspire to.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Theophany posted:

When does GP Predictor get updated?

Judging by last time it'll be a day or two.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

andyf posted:

...Wasn't Bottas heavily praised under Williams for being very good at knowing how his tyres were doing?

I thought that was Frank?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Max Verstappen 😍

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

enri posted:

lmao

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

enri posted:

:drat:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I think I did pretty alright with my GP predictions though I did pick Gio to be hard charger, RIP

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

andyf posted:

I watched the Ch4 highlights show - I was immensely amused that Ch4 straight up skipped the podium interviews since it wasn't one of their hosts doing the questions.

Channel 4 have never shown the podium interviews if they arn't live, I think it's a contract thing

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Max's true power will be unleashed now that his father will go to jail.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

oliwan posted:

Max's true power will be unleashed now that his father will go to jail.

Wherever he goes, trouble does seem to follow.

Wikipedia posted:

In December 2008, with the couple effectively separated, Verstappen appeared in court in Tongeren, Belgium, charged with assaulting his wife.[33] He was found innocent of assault, but guilty of threatening Kumpen in text messages and of violating a previously issued restraining order. He was fined and sentenced to three months probational, suspended prison sentence.[34]

After a 1998 incident in a karting track, in which a man suffered a fractured skull, Verstappen and his father were found guilty in court of assault but were each sentenced to five-year suspended sentence after reaching an out-of-court settlement with the victim.[35]

On 29 November 2011, the media reported allegations that Verstappen had assaulted his ex-girlfriend; Verstappen claimed to only have had a discussion with her.[36] In January 2012, he was arrested on attempted murder charges following accusations that he drove a car into his ex-girlfriend in Roermond,[37] but released two weeks later, after the charge was withdrawn.[38] Verstappen and his ex-girlfriend got back together and got married in 2014. They have one daughter, named Blue Jaye, born in September 2014.[39]

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

quote:

They have one daughter, named Blue Jaye, born in September 2014.

Yep, this guy has problems.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Basticle posted:

I think I did pretty alright with my GP predictions though I did pick Gio to be hard charger, RIP

I was like one place off with all of mine :(

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

So was the SkyF1 team chatting poo poo or is DRS seemingly not creating easy overtakes anymore? It does seem like most of the overtakes we saw weren't on the straights.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

NtotheTC posted:

So was the SkyF1 team chatting poo poo or is DRS seemingly not creating easy overtakes anymore? It does seem like most of the overtakes we saw weren't on the straights.

Depends on the car.

Seemed to work very well for Bottas and a couple of other cars, but yeah in general it does seem to be less effective this year.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

I like Max, but the constant raging hard-on the Dutch media has for him is getting really loving tiring.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Willeh posted:

I like Max, but the constant raging hard-on the Dutch media has for him is getting really loving tiring.

I'm thrilled that he'll still be racing when my children have children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Willeh posted:

I can sympathise with the Dutch media. Max is the best driver the Netherlands have had since Jos Verstappen- and while that is a low, low bar- the Dutch are understandably very excited about it so it sells newspapers. People in the UK often similarly complain about the media and Lewis Hamilton, though I have limited sympathy for people who say "I willingly subject myself to the Sun newspaper's writing but by god I'm feeling pretty truculent about its quality right now".

• Locked thread