Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Make Everyone Into Immortal Robits was a fun playthrough and felt very rewarding, but The Shroud is the tits. Turning your species into psychics gives pan-bonuses to everything (similar to cyborgizing everyone), but the real reward is taking a spin on The Shroud roulette and either getting massive bonuses or some kind of penalty which I haven't seen yet.

My psychics saw a vision of the future, with my homeworld on fire and poo poo falling from the skies. Whatever. That vision also came with a badass AVATAR who single handedly doubled my fleet strength. I'm going to use it to thoroughly gently caress up the previously-menacing empires on my border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The trick with the shroud is learning which shroud entities you can (kinda) trust. Some of them will gently caress you really, really hard.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dirk Pitt posted:

Am I crazy for thinking of filling a 22 space planet my population can't inhabit with mining droids?

Christ no, you should do it with slaves or do it with droids, but you should absolutely be doing it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

The only real use I can see for chemical bliss is thematically, as a humanitarian purifier. Give the people lots of happy pills and they don't mind so much that they've been sterilized.

You can also give it to Battle Thralls, which means you can have a race who are kept in a doped-up stupor during peacetime and then let off the chemical leash when the bullets start flying.

I can't really see any mechanical benefit to doing so but it is kind of cool from a roleplaying perspective.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Mayor Dave posted:

You're locked out of sending the neural patterns to the FE if you've researched any robotics at all unless they've fixed the chain in this last patch.

Not sure if I researched robots before or after, but I was able to do both in one of my games since the patch.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

How often can you contact the shroud?

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

Also don't go full synth if there is a holy fallen empire unless you're ready for a war. Then don't accept them demanding you grovel, because the fuckers are just going to declare war 2 days later anyways.

With one exception. If you get Defenders of the Galaxy before/immediately after you go synth, then the +20 opinion modifier is just barely enough to keep the holy FE at 'dismissive'.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Ramadu posted:

How often can you contact the shroud?

Every five years

On normal difficulty I'm falling behind neighbors on tech and military power (esp. Hegemonic Imperialists or Ruthless Capitalists).

Any suggestions/tips on what to do in the early game to snowball better?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Caustic Soda posted:

With one exception. If you get Defenders of the Galaxy before/immediately after you go synth, then the +20 opinion modifier is just barely enough to keep the holy FE at 'dismissive'.

It's a shameful species without a charismatic ruler

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Well I accidentally played until 2AM. I have no idea what I'm doing but I've got 5 planets, a happy populace of repulsive mollusks, and friendly relations with all my neighbors. Hooray?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Some more SPECIES SUBMISSIONS feel free to cut n paste into your user_empire_designs file, no mod dependencies. I've actually got some here that others posted for previous versions of the goonpack.

"Long ago, the Pthumerians were a simple people who stumbled upon the lost temples of an unknown ancient culture. These temples granted them insight into the Eldritch Truth of god-like cosmic powers called the Great Ones, accelerating the development of their society. For decades the Pthumerians were mere servants, who in exchange for protecting the slumbering Great Ones, were able to continue to learn the Eldritch Truth. Unfortunately, after imbibing the blood of the Great Ones as a curative, they succumbed to a scourge that sterilised them and turned them into mindless beasts.The pure Pthumerians cleansed this bloodstain from their civilisation and now sing out of the Old Ones to return."

https://pastebin.com/8Fd1Yawb

"The Eliksni evolved from nomadic insectoid scavengers, but quickly rose to prominence on their verdant world through conquest and subjugation. They became a thriving society, in the process of mastering space flight technology, when a cosmic entity called the "Whirlwind" ravaged their homeworld completely. In the aftermath, the surviving Eliksni became embroiled in a bloody civil war over their civilization's ruins, forcing them to launch a colony expedition as a desperate bid to ensure their survival. This remnant faced a long and hard journey into space but have begun by securing a new world. Hopefully the first step to return their people to greatness once again."
(based off the Fallen from Destiny)

https://pastebin.com/YnGRQFWe

"The Uguyush evolved from a kind of communal louse who tended to the great trees that towered over the sparse forests of Yavax. This communal focus and dedicated reverence for these trees led them to become a devout peoples. As they developed and progressed they kept the worship of the greatest and oldest of these trees as the fount and reserve of all Uguan, the very foundation of their society. A Government led by those who espoused the spirit of the trees emerged and has directed the Uguans from faith based oligarchy called the Magocracy. It is the Magocracy's endeavour to both spread the sacred trees across the universe and protect the way of life they represent."

https://pastebin.com/xD1KRkHP

"The Zalhalm are a species of lichen-like organisms who live among the many thermal pockets spread across the surface of Vool'u. These pockets are connected by a massive network of tendrils that act as a kind of nervous system, each pocket contributing to a form of gestalt superorganism. The Zalhalm evolved to sometimes bud a form of spore that is sentient but inextricably linked to the Zalhalm, these are the Ul-Tur. They are bound by the holy mission, the Convergence. The Ul-Tur seek to seed as many worlds with the Zalhalm as possible, to grow the consciousness of their species, which they believe will lead to their ascension to Godhood."

https://pastebin.com/6UzMmTft

The Mothars rose to prominence on Libertalia through a strong sense of community. Individually weak and rather incapable, together they brought their communities into a golden age. When the Mothar began assembling into nations, they were met with strong anarchist resistance who insisted that every Mothar was born free, and had as much right to what would support them, as to the air they respired. So it has been that the Mothar revel in their differences and allowed each to live as they desired within a set of common articles."

https://pastebin.com/YWEVZVrb

zeb
Oct 2, 2001
hurrrrrrrrrrrrr
First I'd like to congratulate Wiz and team for an excellent expansion to an already excellent game, rough edges and all. Since Utopia's release I've played it exclusively and ignored Zelda and Horizon and Mass Effect. I can't wait to see where it is when its fifth anniversary rolls around.

After completing a few games, my biggest non-bug gripe is that, as others have said, right now megastructures just feel like vanity projects for a post-endgame empire. My suggestion would be to let the Master Builder ascension perk change the restriction from a single megastructure in production at a time to a single site at a time. To me this makes sense mechanically and thematically - mechanically, a single site plus the enormous resources required are still a hard cap on the proliferation of megastructures, and the addition of this gives some "pop" to an otherwise boring ascension perk that just fiddles with some numbers... it seems like the ascension perks that really stand out are ones that open up new abilities, rather than just add/subtract numerical values. Thematically, it makes sense that once you've spent the literal years creating these city-states to produce planetary structures, once they're up and rolling, you just need to throw resources at them. Maybe gate Master Builder itself behind selection of all the megastructure ascension perks - it seems to me that if you spend four whole perks on it, you should be able to start a Dyson sphere around Zarkon VII while you wait for the eggheads to finish the rec room in their drat orbital lab.

My other ascension perk gripe, as a boring person who mostly plays pacifist-build-tall-as-possible empires, is that the World Shaper perk should allow you to terraform planets that are already inhabited. As it is, that also seems like a bit of a boring number-reducer perk, and that ability would also allow you to end up with something one envies about the Fallen Empires - a gaia homeworld (or three). Maybe make it an either/or - if the planet is uninhabited, give it the huge time boost, if it is inhabited, let it terraform underfoot at the usual, or even a penalized, rate.

I would also echo the requests to give some kind of secondary or post-Tradition usage for Unity - if you go hard on unity it's possible to easily unlock every tradition you want, long before a real endgame or even before a megastructure is finished. Sure, you can alter your civics and replace all the unity-producing buildings in your empire, but that seems somewhat... sub-optimal. In my very first Utopia game I had achieved every single tradition tree in full before my first megastructure was completed.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Out of curiosity, what are people liking for their first ascension perk? I've tried out a few, and so far my favorite is probably Interstellar Domain for the +25% border. I feel like it helps me carve out and define my territory early, grabbing me more resources.

I feel like Mastery of Nature might actually be pretty strong as a first perk, as it you would end up saving an immense amount in tile blocker removal costs. Not to mention being able to remove the blockers immediately.

I tried imperial prerogative for the +5 core world systems, and while fine, I felt like managing an extra five systems by hand just slowed me down. It make me appreciate sectors all the much more. I can't deny the usefulness, but I doubt I'll be using it again.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Yeah, I took Mastery of Nature for this game I'm running now and it rules. The best part about it is that if you don't have to research the endless blocker techs, which puts you that much further ahead with tech. I'm pretty sure it'll be my go-to for first perk every time.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Seconding Master of Nature first pick supremacy, it's such a strong pick I wouldn't be surprised if it got nerfed in the future.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Filthy Monkey posted:

Out of curiosity, what are people liking for their first ascension perk? I've tried out a few, and so far my favorite is probably Interstellar Domain for the +25% border. I feel like it helps me carve out and define my territory early, grabbing me more resources.

I feel like Mastery of Nature might actually be pretty strong as a first perk, as it you would end up saving an immense amount in tile blocker removal costs. Not to mention being able to remove the blockers immediately.

I tried imperial prerogative for the +5 core world systems, and while fine, I felt like managing an extra five systems by hand just slowed me down. It make me appreciate sectors all the much more. I can't deny the usefulness, but I doubt I'll be using it again.
Mastery of nature hands down, followed by the research booster one. You end up flying through the society tree. The early optimised planets and saved minerals/energy are nice but it's the massive pile of pulled techs that does it for me.

Also everyone wants to be your research buddy afterwards.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Technological Mastery is an excellent first pick - 10% extra research is great no matter what you plan to do.

I'm noticing something weird about terraforming in the two games I've played so far. I get both terraforming resources which reduce the cost of changing from a non-close climate to 1500. Then I do ~*something else*~ that reduces the cost to 850. I have no idea what that is.

Not that I'm complaining - my entire empire is now a tropical paradise - but I would like to know what's happening.

zeb
Oct 2, 2001
hurrrrrrrrrrrrr
yeah the Mastery of Nature perk is fantastic

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Couple of questions for you more advanced players:

What does the food at the top of the screen mean now? Back when I played a year ago, it was just per planet. How does the number on top tie in to the current game play?

How should I be building ships these days? I started kinetic, but should I switch back over to laser? Laser weapons were superior a year ago. Also, what is the general rule of thumb for the different compartment types on ships? Should I just be trying to mount the biggest weapon types on destroyers and cruisers? Or is there a case to be made for more smaller guns?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Aethernet posted:

Technological Mastery is an excellent first pick - 10% extra research is great no matter what you plan to do.

I'm noticing something weird about terraforming in the two games I've played so far. I get both terraforming resources which reduce the cost of changing from a non-close climate to 1500. Then I do ~*something else*~ that reduces the cost to 850. I have no idea what that is.

Not that I'm complaining - my entire empire is now a tropical paradise - but I would like to know what's happening.

Prosperity finisher is -33% terraforming cost. Though now that I think about it I'm not sure how that works out to 850...
e: Oh wait base cost is 5000 not 3000, and your 1500 was a typo and supposed to be 2500? Then everything works out.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 10, 2017

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Battle warscore seems to be a bit bugged, I keep getting negative warscore for battles I definitely won (annihilated the enemy force, no escapees, my fleet survived)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think part of what makes MoN feel so good is it's the only first choice one that's not just +numbers. Wiping out a bunch of techs is an immediate, obvious benefit and getting to clear for free is a huge change to how you play the game. Compare to the benefit of TM which, while probably mechanically equivalent or better, visually just makes some numbers go up and gameplaywise just lets you do things you were already doing but faster.

I'd prefer some visceral pop added to the others rather than a nerf to MoN.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 10, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Staltran posted:

Prosperity finisher is -33% terraforming cost. Though now that I think about it I'm not sure how that works out to 850...
e: Oh wait base cost is 5000 not 3000, and your 1500 was a typo and supposed to be 2500? Then everything works out.

Ah - thank you. I think base cost might have changed in 1.5.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Staltran posted:

850 is right, assuming you also take the world shaper ascension perk.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Zotix posted:

Couple of questions for you more advanced players:

What does the food at the top of the screen mean now? Back when I played a year ago, it was just per planet. How does the number on top tie in to the current game play?

How should I be building ships these days? I started kinetic, but should I switch back over to laser? Laser weapons were superior a year ago. Also, what is the general rule of thumb for the different compartment types on ships? Should I just be trying to mount the biggest weapon types on destroyers and cruisers? Or is there a case to be made for more smaller guns?

The food at the top of the screen is a global food supply for your family entire empire, meaning you can produce food where it works the best instead of having to build farms on every planet. As far as ships go, it'll vary on who you're fighting but generally missiles should be avoided. Everything else can work, but the proper mix will depend on the enemy's fleet comp.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Mister Bates posted:

Battle warscore seems to be a bit bugged, I keep getting negative warscore for battles I definitely won (annihilated the enemy force, no escapees, my fleet survived)

where do you even see the amount of war score in the game? the only place ive seen it is in the war demands thing

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

True, I took it for my techno-fanatic cat empire in my current Utopia-game, and thanks to them starting as mechanists (I had more pops free for extra labs, thanks to me putting some robots on every colony.), I'd already started running away technology-wise.

I just contacted an empire about 50% larger than my own, but it turns out I've already left it behind me in research. And at the same time I have comparable fleet strength and cap!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
You can now stack tech modifiers to the point that it's very nearly overpowered. My fanatic materialist Intelligent race with the Discovery tree maxed and with Tech Mastery has blazed past everyone else so quickly that this game has been a pushover.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

You can now stack tech modifiers to the point that it's very nearly overpowered. My fanatic materialist Intelligent race with the Discovery tree maxed and with Tech Mastery has blazed past everyone else so quickly that this game has been a pushover.
Replace TM with "+1 science choice and all your scientists gain Maniacal".

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just to confirm, if I build a Habitat above a world with a strategic resource above it, I can still mine said resource, right?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
You don't need TM to be broke though. Pacifist + Expansion can get you so many worlds so quickly that you can also start snowballing out of control. Like between the extra worlds and the reduced influence costs for colonies/frontier outposts you can stake out a huge chunk of area with your pick of good research/mining stations/worlds.. Throw one defense pact at a friendly empire and that'll buy you time to expand and build your economy before you need to seriously invest in military.

Also federations I feel are far more useful now, they seem to readily accept your demands in wars even if they get nothing out of it. Also, what's great is they will pretty much do all the grunt work in wars if you let them. Like If you really want to be lazy, just send one doomstack to wipe out the largest fleets then just go run off and do something else for a few years while your friends conquer all the planets. Since only a few factions will care if you are in a war( and usually have other ways to appease them in the mean time) you really don't suffer any penalties for it even as a pacifist. Though if you get annoyed at liberating you could also switch out of pacifist at that point.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Encountered eerily throughtful behaviour by the AI. Neighbour empire that I planned on being friends with built a frontier outpost that covered Cybrex system which I just discovered. While I was contemplating on what to do about it, a federation builder offered a solution. He proposed we start a war against neigbour dude and his ally, wargoals were: Fed builder will get a planet from the ally, I get a planet from neighbour and he will dismantle the outpost. This was exactly what I wanted, so conventient like something a human player would offer.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
You should be able to demand control of Frontier Outposts.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

You should be able to demand control of Frontier Outposts.

How else will we replicate the start of DS9?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Anyone created the 4th Stimpire in game yet?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The dismantle frontier outpost wargoal is kind of unnecessary seeing as you can just blow it up. Maybe if you had a design for it and it came as a medium defense station with higher upkeep (and no special module slots) it would be better. Outposts currently are no more defensible than a mining station.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

biglads posted:

poo poo, I better get on this.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

biglads posted:

Truga posted:

poo poo, I better get on this.
what is this?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

double nine posted:

what is this?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=4th+Stimpire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Demiurge4 posted:

The dismantle frontier outpost wargoal is kind of unnecessary seeing as you can just blow it up. Maybe if you had a design for it and it came as a medium defense station with higher upkeep (and no special module slots) it would be better. Outposts currently are no more defensible than a mining station.

Yeah, I would really like to be able to upgrade frontier outposts. Obviously they had something in mind at one point, because there's an unreachable "frontier beacon" part that shows up in the debris field after you blow an outpost up.

I usually protect my critical outposts with a defense station or two, but it'd be nice to have a beacon in something slightly more robust than an aluminum balloon.

• Locked thread