Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

naoki is honestly decent. it's not especially emotional but the idea that even if you aren't flinging yourself to the floor in hysterics or weren't that close to somebody who was in your life you can still experience a sort of quiet grief is pretty mature writing. the main issue is he's super easy to miss and all the hanged man personas kind of suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Star in P3 was worth it for Helel, but I don't have the faintest recollection what actually happens in that s-link or even what the dude's name was. Mamoru or something?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Keisuke and, uh... the rival school athlete kid (I can remember Gourmet King's real name but this dude is a loving blank spot in my memory...) aren't helped by getting replaced with infinitely better dudes in Portable. Like, sure, Star gives you Helel ben Shahar at the end but why would I deal with that guy when I could date Akihiko instead?? This isn't even a choice, really.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sea Sponge Run posted:

But how do you feel about P4's Hanged Man? I think everybody hates him but I never did him so i'm unsure why

I like Naoki, fwiw.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I never had problems with 4's social links. Each had a pretty unique problem that was neat to explore and help them through. Temperance was the only one that didn't really do that much for me.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Naoki was pretty decent. It's just that he gives off a bad first impression.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fox was also basically a nothing s. link in terms of the actual 'story' of it but it was pure gameplay mechanic and also the idea of a fox holding you up for your money was funny.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That Fox was my best friend for the discounts on SP she started dropping me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should have made fox a cute shrine maiden so i could date her, because she's clearly the best girl in p4

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo, they do not hold back on you with how much they want for you to fuse higher level Persona. 63k yen for a Pale Rider that is only two levels above me.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

they should have made fox a cute shrine maiden so i could date her, because she's clearly the best girl in p4

Isn't it implied that the fox is the lady in white that appears at the shrine at night?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I was level 53-54 when I fused Siegfried and paid 105k for him, which I thought was a pretty good deal considering the fact he ended up at level 74 after the s-link bonuses.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Captain Baal posted:

Holy poo poo, they do not hold back on you with how much they want for you to fuse higher level Persona. 63k yen for a Pale Rider that is only two levels above me.

I'm still not entirely sure how the money calculation for that works, because I've had Personas that are lower level cost more than Personas than are higher level. That is, like a level 62 Persona cost more than a level 65 Persona for some reason. Also that mechanic owns because it allowed me to grab Trumpeter and then later Yoshitsune and Alice like ten levels earlier than I should have been able to.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

i want to romance sadayo because she has good hair and just wants to get paid, which is the kind of initiative i like in a girl

edit: also with the engine and stuff hammered out I wouldn't be surprised to see a fairly quick turnaround on a P6. The director of P3-P5 is working on a new fantasy RPG now and brought some of the Persona staff with him to that project, but they could get some fresh blood in.
Part of P5 is one of the best life sim games that's ever been made, and I'd really like to see them try making a game that was nothing but that, even more than Persona 6.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

TheFireMagi posted:

I'm still not entirely sure how the money calculation for that works

Presumably the same as for every other game with a compendium; level affects it somewhat but the bulk of cost comes from what skills it has. The problem THERE is that skill values aren't immediately obvious or even related to how good they are.

Edit:

There's usually some degree of logic or consistency to at least when you GET skills, but P5 I've noticed plays fast and loose with that kinda thing. Elemental break skills by the end of Palace 1/start of Palace 2, Marakunda at level 19, the ability to break Tetrakarn and Makarakarn before they even come into play... hell, I managed to find Null Nuke before any other elemental resist of any kind (outside of Lockdown and Dodge skills don't really count) AND before any enemy has had Nuclear skills. It's just so weird how it handles this stuff this time around. Probably because it can get away with it since the levels that skills are learned are all over the map, too. The revamped S.Link EXP doesn't even guarantee you get everything out the gate on all but the toppest of top tier stuff now, either, until you get enough Fool ranks to boost it at least. Even if it did the old "actual value doesn't matter; it gives half S.Link rank in levels" that would probably be a bigger detriment honestly.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 10, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Okay Atlus, you really need to get the persona team to calm the hell down about homosexuals. I just want to have a nice beach trip where my little hacker has some outside time, not repeat the same bad joke you made earlier.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I honestly think that P3 sun was the best social link ever.
There isn't a single hard-miss anywhere in P5 but nothing has come close to it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Gorp posted:

I honestly think that P3 sun was the best social link ever.
There isn't a single hard-miss anywhere in P5 but nothing has come close to it.

Now you've gone and made me sad again

Serf
May 5, 2011

I have an irrational hatred of Morgana for constantly being the never-ending tutorial in the game. The fact that he basically comments on every thing you do and just makes for more mashing the X button makes me annoyed to see his portrait when it pops up. This is especially annoying at the airsoft shop:

Is he gonna keep talking about that gun each time I go to see the guy there? Because getting that level of Guts looks like it is gonna take a while and I'm getting a little tired of having to advance through that dialogue.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yes. Also, hold triangle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah having the cat in your bag is cool but i got really sick of having morgana around commenting on everything the whole game. it felt like i just had the developers hanging out in my schoolbag trying to stop me from having too much fun. don't go out tonight, you might engage with the actually fun part of the game! better to sleep so you can be forced into mementos tomorrow!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

yeah having the cat in your bag is cool but i got really sick of having morgana around commenting on everything the whole game. it felt like i just had the developers hanging out in my schoolbag trying to stop me from having too much fun. don't go out tonight, you might engage with the actually fun part of the game! better to sleep so you can be forced into mementos tomorrow!

It seems like you have control taken away from you an inordinate amount of the time in P5. I only played P4 Golden before this, and it was a few years back but I don't remember it being this bad there. I realize that Morgana is just telling you the game's limitations, and that absent him the game would still not let you do things, but having him be the avatar of "no you can't do that" is really making me dislike the character.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Morgana's a total corporate shill. Getting on your case for window shopping, telling you off if you rewatch a movie (instead of buying a new one like a good consumer)? I'm not sure he's Phantom Thief material.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

His true identity is clearly a sleeping pill, not A Real Boy.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Serf posted:

It seems like you have control taken away from you an inordinate amount of the time in P5. I only played P4 Golden before this, and it was a few years back but I don't remember it being this bad there. I realize that Morgana is just telling you the game's limitations, and that absent him the game would still not let you do things, but having him be the avatar of "no you can't do that" is really making me dislike the character.

P5 feels way more restrictive of its in-game calendar than p4 and p3. I remember being able to do stuff in early p3/p4 but I think it takes at least a month before you're allowed to have a free week in p5

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Did you ever stop to think the only reason Joker is so good at being a student and a phantom thief is because Morgana makes him get 8 hours of sleep every night? Why are you dogging on the best cat? Goddamn it just let me make some tools you catboy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

let's fill the game with stuff to do and then constantly make it so the player can't do anything - someone at atlus, apparently

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If there was a 33% chance that any given night of sleep would get ruined by some kind of long-nosed prison troll and two children I'd probably take it more seriously too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll have you know those two children are my best friends, they make the skeleton men.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The game FINALLY opened up in late July...which is like 30~40 hours in lol

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

If there was a 33% chance that any given night of sleep would get ruined by some kind of long-nosed prison troll and two children I'd probably take it more seriously too.
But enough about my family life.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I just got past the sixth palace and the mess of cutscenes afterwards. Do NOT open this unless you've done the same.

Holy poo poo, did the main character surround himself with competent people and also Ryuji. He got that kickass "got 'em" smile so he gets a free pass. That plan is the perfect combination of brave and stupid that I fell for it entirely. That's the exact type of gambit you would see in a "gentleman thief" novel, even down to the "This part might not work but it's all we've got." part in trusting that Sae will eventually at least show the phone to Akechi.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

naoki is honestly decent. it's not especially emotional but the idea that even if you aren't flinging yourself to the floor in hysterics or weren't that close to somebody who was in your life you can still experience a sort of quiet grief is pretty mature writing. the main issue is he's super easy to miss and all the hanged man personas kind of suck.

Naoki was one of my favourite social links. The story of a kid learning how to mourn the death of his sister and beating himself up over not being able to express it was sorta real to me? It was a good link.

Also, drat. Tora just called me the hell out!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Some rear end in a top hat on youtube just randomly put a string of rapid-fire spoilers in a comment.

Anyhow, currently mid-september (I think that's palace 5?) and The part with Mona and Beauty Thief™ cracked me up so hard.

Slightly worried about time management though. All the Social Links I more or less care for are during the daytime and I'm afraid I'll have to drop one of them while having to do a night Slink I'm not too interested in to pass time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is this really how they're going to end Ryuji and Morgana's argument? Like, Ryuji getting super pissed at Random rear end in a top hat for punting his bud and Morgana opening up to the group about his insecurities were good moments, but it's kinda weird there wasn't an apology.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is this really how they're going to end Ryuji and Morgana's argument? Like, Ryuji getting super pissed at Random rear end in a top hat for punting his bud and Morgana opening up to the group about his insecurities were good moments, but it's kinda weird there wasn't an apology.

Yup. There's never an apology or anything. Really soured me on Ryuji for the rest of the game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can someone spoil the last day for doing Confidant stuff? Also are there any avoidable timeskips like finishing the December dungeon in P4?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Does Yusuke ever get a personality trait that isn't "art"? Dude is reminding me of spinoff Chie where they stripped off all of her layers and turned her into the steak and Kung fu girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That entire arc is loving stupid. It necessitates Ryuji be a dick and Morgana be a petty child over all of it so Morgana can run across Haru who is the key to them even being able to fight Okumura in a series of insane contrivances and Okumura being a huge piece of poo poo as well.