Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Lakbay posted:

The game FINALLY opened up in late July...which is like 30~40 hours in lol

Define opened up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

That entire arc is loving stupid. It necessitates Ryuji be a dick and Morgana be a petty child over all of it so Morgana can run across Haru who is the key to them even being able to fight Okumura in a series of insane contrivances and Okumura being a huge piece of poo poo as well.

I think that even if they just didn't happen to run into Haru, Futaba would have figured out a way to open the door by like taking some genetic samples from either Okumura or Haru. They would have gone after the guy either way because of the polls.

Not saying it's not dumb tho

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harlock posted:

Define opened up?

The anime cat is finally not telling me to go to bed every other day and you have full weeks of afternoon/evening activities that you get to choose

You also get a really long time to finish the story dungeon during that time period

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

That entire arc is loving stupid. It necessitates Ryuji be a dick and Morgana be a petty child over all of it so Morgana can run across Haru who is the key to them even being able to fight Okumura in a series of insane contrivances and Okumura being a huge piece of poo poo as well.

Yeah. I haven't really started palace 5 yet but even though i've seen so many people talk about dungeon 3 having the worst plot and villain, so far I kinda think this one's been worse.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I mean you can do stuff on your own by mid-April but your range of links is really limited (even more so because Ann is gated by Kindness rank) and you keep paddling into these vast gulfs of plot every other week. It really is out of whack.

Not like the other two games were much better about it, though. I don't remember if it was P3 or P4 that went "you're doing job internships now, LET'S JUST FAST FORWARD BY TWO WEEKS"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's honestly a toss up, you could make an argument for either, but the Palace 5 Boss at least kind of has a fun gimmick even though everything else about the storyline, characters, and actually exploring the Palace itself is awful.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Oxxidation posted:

I mean you can do stuff on your own by mid-April but your range of links is really limited (even more so because Ann is gated by Kindness rank) and you keep paddling into these vast gulfs of plot every other week. It really is out of whack.

Not like the other two games were much better about it, though. I don't remember if it was P3 or P4 that went "you're doing job internships now, LET'S JUST FAST FORWARD BY TWO WEEKS"

My memory of p3 and p4 is vague too but I think they're slightly framed better. Like other people said Morgana won't stop slapping your hand early and early-mid game for trying to do something fun but you also have days where all you do is talk to one person then immediately go to bed

This is supposed to be attractive life-haver simulator, not a mirror!

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 10, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God drat, I forgot how much of a damage sponge the sixth palace boss is. It'd be pretty fun too if it weren't for how much drat health it has. It's like you need to get Futaba's ultra charge to make it move at a decent pace.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

here is my idea for an upgraded persona

arsene evolves wenger
captain kidd evolves into two captain kidds
johanna evolves into a johanna for each character.

atlus pm me for payment deets

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I actually really like Haru, but she should have joined during the 4th Palace and Goro in the 5th to give you more time with both.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The fourth palace boss is AIDS.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terper posted:

I actually really like Haru, but she should have joined during the 4th Palace and Goro in the 5th to give you more time with both.

I had some moments where I chuckled at her reactions, but I'm still very eh on her. I do agree if she had more time though then I might have had more time to care about her. (End game spoilers)Goro should be a perm member and you should get the adventures of Black Mask in whatever update they do in the future.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah having an entire dungeon where you just get a navigator is kinda lame. the rise sequence in p4 was pretty short and in p3 you just got fuuka off a random boss fight but the futaba sequence here is like, one of the longest sequences in the game with how much time you spend talking to her

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

A lot of my love for Haru admittedly comes from her animations in battle, like when she removes her mask or her idle stance. They're almost as good as Goro's.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah having an entire dungeon where you just get a navigator is kinda lame. the rise sequence in p4 was pretty short and in p3 you just got fuuka off a random boss fight but the futaba sequence here is like, one of the longest sequences in the game with how much time you spend talking to her

Persona 3 was the best at this because it was just "hey I picked up this dog/kid from the streets, let's let them join the party" "ok"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They want to make bigger affairs of teammates joining than they used to and while I get that, I think it's fine to just have a guy join on their own sometimes.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The game probably could have stood to have a couple less dungeons in general, really, but considering how many different balls it has to juggle in terms of pace and tuning, it's pretty impressive that it works as well as it does.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Haru's All-Out Attack victory splash screen is almost the best. It would be top if Morgana's wasn't untouchable.

Endorph posted:

yeah having an entire dungeon where you just get a navigator is kinda lame

Honestly, having a dedicated Navigator at all at that point feels like a step-back. Morgana can pull double-duty and he doesn't even have a really cool UFO!

What doesn't help is with how each game puts the navigator recruit further and further in, it seems less and less likely to occur at face value. Fuuka was the second real Full Moon plot beat, Rise was the start of the midgame and now Futaba is approaching the end of it. I genuinely expect in a hypothetical P6 the "upgraded" navigator will be the last party member you get since that's the only way they can be a later addition now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Makoto does double duty as Navigator a couple of times, actually.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

They want to make bigger affairs of teammates joining than they used to and while I get that, I think it's fine to just have a guy join on their own sometimes.

There's no reason you can't have 2 characters join in the same dungeon anyway. I know it benefits from being in the intro where the characters and plot get a lot more time to breath and everything, but the 1st dungeon does it fine.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Just started the third palace (yes I know I'm behind dammit) and oh my god is the cutscene where Makoto gets their persona absolutely awesome. Such a great character, I'm gonna fuckin love using her. :allears:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Everyone kind of reluctantly embraces their Persona but Makoto just is like gently caress yeah give me the power

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Honestly, having a dedicated Navigator at all at that point feels like a step-back. Morgana can pull double-duty and he doesn't even have a really cool UFO!

What doesn't help is with how each game puts the navigator recruit further and further in, it seems less and less likely to occur at face value. Fuuka was the second real Full Moon plot beat, Rise was the start of the midgame and now Futaba is approaching the end of it. I genuinely expect in a hypothetical P6 the "upgraded" navigator will be the last party member you get since that's the only way they can be a later addition now.
I wonder what it would be like if the navigator was a full party member that you could control directly, but they didn't have a physical presence on the battlefield.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Two things:

First: god drat I'm loving this game. I finished the second Palace yesterday. Everything about the Phantom Thief aesthetic, the cast, just how smoothly everything plays, it feels so good to be playing a Persona game (and a good JRPG) again.

Second: the second Palace was really easy, as was its boss. I'm on Normal right now and it took no effort at all to reach each milestone in one day of dungeon crawling. Will the dungeons get longer again like Kamoshida's Palace or are they going to stay shorter and easier like Madarame's? (I'm not sure which Palace names to spoiler--I figure the first one is probably safe? But I dunno.) If they're going to stay on the easier side I'll crank it up to Hard.

FractalSandwich posted:

I wonder what it would be like if the navigator was a full party member that you could control directly, but they didn't have a physical presence on the battlefield.

That would be pretty cool. I definitely don't really see the point of the navigator party member anymore. Even in Persona 4 Rise's role just didn't seem all that necessary, and like someone else pointed out, Morgana can clearly fill that role while also fighting in Persona 5. But making the navigator a more active part of combat would help to make that role fit in well, I think.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

So how much SP does the doctor's third accessory regenerate? 100k is a big asking price

Also I like what little I know of Haru. It's a shame the game doesn't seem to do enough with her.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
^^^: It restores 7 SP a turn. Get Death up to Rank 7 and Takemi reduces the price of the SP accessories by half.

It's an endless bummer that I don't have Makoto yet she seems so loving good

also I saw Goro's Dancing All Night outfit and jesus christ im going to die

this kid rules

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sea Sponge Run posted:

So how much SP does the doctor's third accessory regenerate? 100k is a big asking price

Also I like what little I know of Haru. It's a shame the game doesn't seem to do enough with her.

7 SP per turn

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Despite giving a skill that restores proportional value, it's a flat 7SP (which is obviously for balance reasons). Get Tae to rank 7 before buying though; that halves the costs of everything she sells.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sea Sponge Run posted:

7 SP per turn, also the price gets cut in half down to 50k if you get her to rank 7, which has no special requirements and is fairly easy to do if you already got to 5. I had two of them (on Joker and Mona) by the time I entered the second palace.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

Two things:
Second: the second Palace was really easy, as was its boss. I'm on Normal right now and it took no effort at all to reach each milestone in one day of dungeon crawling. Will the dungeons get longer again like Kamoshida's Palace or are they going to stay shorter and easier like Madarame's? (I'm not sure which Palace names to spoiler--I figure the first one is probably safe? But I dunno.) If they're going to stay on the easier side I'll crank it up to Hard.

They get really long again

Serf
May 5, 2011

Harrow posted:

Two things:

First: god drat I'm loving this game. I finished the second Palace yesterday. Everything about the Phantom Thief aesthetic, the cast, just how smoothly everything plays, it feels so good to be playing a Persona game (and a good JRPG) again.

When I first knocked an enemy down and the characters all ran in and pointed their guns at them while calling it a Hold Up was when I knew I would love this game. Every part of it seems to be crafted in such a way to perfectly fit into the theme.

I also knocked out the second Palace in a single day not counting the time when you're forced to leave and the other time when you're forced to leave. And honestly I liked it more than the first. Gimme a short and sweet dungeon any day of the week.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

They get really long again

That's good. I like the long dungeons.

Should I turn it up to Hard anyway if I found the enemies and bosses in that one really easy, or is the difficulty going to start increasing, too? I'm not using the DLC Personas or anything, but I had extra SP at the end of each of my second Palace trips so I did a small amount of leveling and I'm not sure if I'm ahead of the curve or if that was just a really easy Palace.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The next story dungeon has really obnoxious Hama spell spammers so maybe you'll want to wait. If it still feels easy probably bump up the difficulty

If you're connected to Thieves' Guild you can press the touchpad outside of the Metaverse and in the bottom right it'll show you the average player level of that day

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another thing I absolutely love: the instrumental version of "Life Will Change" that plays when you go in for your Treasure run. It's so perfect to get you pumped up for the final heist.

Serf posted:

I also knocked out the second Palace in a single day not counting the time when you're forced to leave and the other time when you're forced to leave. And honestly I liked it more than the first. Gimme a short and sweet dungeon any day of the week.

I'm a sucker for long dungeon crawls, especially when the dungeons are actually designed dungeons this time and not randomized. (Well, except Mementos, but I haven't had a chance to do a ton of that yet.) I did really enjoy that the second Palace ended with a wonderfully classic heist setup, right down to the target switching out for a fake Treasure.

Lakbay posted:

The next story dungeon has really obnoxious Hama spell spammers so maybe you'll want to wait. If it still feels easy probably bump up the difficulty

Aw poo poo, it's insta-death time. Glad I have a couple of Personas that resist/null bless, at least. I'll treat that dungeon as a trial run before I increase the difficulty, then. (I do really appreciate that they let you switch between Normal and Hard at will this time. I love that.)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

When I first saw dark and light damage spells I was ecstatic at the thought that hama and mudo might finally be gone from these games.

I was so, so wrong. :smith:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
third dungeon has some regular enemies with no weakness (use status effects) so it seemed a little harder than the first two; it was still manageable to 1day it for me though and the first dungeon was still the most difficult in that regard due to resources

3rd dungeon was awfully short though size wise

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm glad to see Nuclear back as a full element, and the extremely rarely-seen Psi, too!

I'm gonna assume Atlus is going to use these demon and spell assets for another SMT game, either the Switch one or some weird spin-off on PS4. Or at least I hope they do. They went and made all the classic SMT demons and spells in HD so, hey, might as well do what they did on PS2 and get their mileage out of 'em.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

What's really weird about the return to making Expel... sorry, Bless/Curse not just instant death is that Eiha is everywhere on your guys in the early game (understandably because Arsene has it and all), but the enemy uses Mudo first. Meanwhiile for Bless I'm sure I probably just missed it somewhere but the easiest Kouha I found is from levelling up Angel who starts with Hama. But you run into Archangels in the first Palace who only have Hama out of the two and then you later run into Angels who say gently caress that noise and use Self-Destruct and it's amazing. Makouha is way easier to get, since Regents have all the first tier multitargets and Nigi Mitama has Makouha and owns in general.

Harrow posted:

Another thing I absolutely love: the instrumental version of "Life Will Change" that plays when you go in for your Treasure run. It's so perfect to get you pumped up for the final heist.

Yeah, Day of Decisive Action is really good and it always feels cool when it starts but I think it's best employed in Palace 2. The denouement there is the most appropriate thing, and that helps sell it even harder.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I edited a p5 phone background and I thought maybe you'd all like it. The original has the MC in the middle but I didn't like that so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
I'm both happy and sad to say I beat the game without dying to a random Hama/Mudo. Which is nice to not suddenly lose 30 minutes of dungeon crawling, but I feel I missed out on the full Persona experience. :v: