Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

yoloer420 posted:

I can't find the fake Nazi gold in single items. I don't need 50 bars of it damnit.

Buy 50 bars. Then buy a safe to keep it in. Prank your future burglars or heirs.

edit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/999-Gold-One-Troy-Ounce-Atlantis-Mint-24k-Pure-Gold-Bullion-Bar-with-Free-Capsule/32727594634.html
You have to search for 'german gold' not 'nazi gold'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Nothing like a woman all clammed up and begging for it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Kinda wanna buy some Chinese gold and see if I can prank some preppers, wonder what the density is like

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 9, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blue Train posted:

Kinda wanna buy some Chinese gold and see if I can prank some preppers, wonder what the density is like

FTFY. Nobody here is planning on committing any crimes, just jolly pranks. A goon got banned for bitcoin shenanigans once, don't be that goon.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Good call

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
The density will be that of aluminium, you wouldn't be able to fool any but the most desperate prepper (all of them)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If it's gold-plated lead it will be in the same general ballpark.

And gold-plated tungsten will have almost exactly the same density as a solid block of gold, though it's quite a lot more expensive than lead (still orders of magnitude less than gold though).

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

Olothreutes posted:

I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on any of these watches because at least half of them are clearly not what they say they are. So many of the "automatic mechanical" watches are clearly not automatic and are manual wind only. Then there's one that I like the look of and was clearly automatic but I googled it a bit and found out it's automatic only. There's no option to wind the crown. And almost all of them are low grade movements that don't have a clutch so if you over wind the watch you risk damaging the spring.

But they are so cheap.

I think I mentioned a bit ago that I picked up one of the cheap mechanical pocket watches. If it helps make up your mind any, mine's still going strong. Yeah, the chance of damaging the spring is there, but so what? They're cheap as gently caress. If you're really worried about it, buy two (or three, or five, or seven).

On a completely unrelated note, I suddenly find myself filled with the overwhelming urge to put googly eyes on everything.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I love going from googly eyes to its Dolls category and running into an enema syringe a few pages in.

Does AE autotranslate item names for every region or is that just a Russia thing?

Those are pillows.

"1 Pc 50cm Stuff Toys For Children Boys Girls New Year Creative Cute Cartoon Soft Plush Fish Pillow Baby Kawaii Funny Gift Cotton"

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
I couldn't resist my manchild urges when I spotted this not-Lego Star Plan X-Wing for 50 bucks after coupons.

Quality is alright, but the QA is poo poo. Had some missing (and a lot of extra) pieces and damaged stickers. Aliexpress gave me back half of what I paid, so it's alright.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Duh Ugh posted:

I think I mentioned a bit ago that I picked up one of the cheap mechanical pocket watches. If it helps make up your mind any, mine's still going strong. Yeah, the chance of damaging the spring is there, but so what? They're cheap as gently caress. If you're really worried about it, buy two (or three, or five, or seven).

On a completely unrelated note, I suddenly find myself filled with the overwhelming urge to put googly eyes on everything.

I actually saw your post about the pocket watch and that's when I went into the rabbit hole of watches. I'd actually trust a pocket watch more than some of the others, I think. But yes, they are so cheap that it's hard to argue with them. Although there are some that are pretty expensive, and good lord to they love those tacky little dials that don't do anything.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sagebrush posted:

If it's gold-plated lead it will be in the same general ballpark.

And gold-plated tungsten will have almost exactly the same density as a solid block of gold, though it's quite a lot more expensive than lead (still orders of magnitude less than gold though).

I was interested by your comment, so I thought I would check out the details of one of these bars at random to see how unrealistic they were.

The very first listing, the very first feedback:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...2616822190.html

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

i never tried the original barebones ddr mats but i can say after a weekend of stomping on it you have to get it to adhere to a solid surface like plywood and then adhere that to the floor. you can use craft store rug anchors. there will still be response issues because it doesn't handle corners well so you can't do the mall dance master trick of putting your heel and toes on two arrows at once. five stars

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

I love going from googly eyes to its Dolls category and running into an enema syringe a few pages in.

Does AE autotranslate item names for every region or is that just a Russia thing?

Those are pillows.

"1 Pc 50cm Stuff Toys For Children Boys Girls New Year Creative Cute Cartoon Soft Plush Fish Pillow Baby Kawaii Funny Gift Cotton"

its girls day already in rococo bedroom fish hell

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc...77-c9b4a1a0c424

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ZombieJesus posted:

The density will be that of aluminium, you wouldn't be able to fool any but the most desperate prepper (all of them)

Silver will be a better bet, then.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
Thanks Mr. Skeletal

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/men...f4-2dd76f93ecc2

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ZombieJesus posted:

Size:44*28mm
Weight:About 50G

I was going to say you should be able to calculate density based on the measurements they provide, but they don't actually proved all three linear measurements, lawl. Really the only way to be sure would be to put up the $5 and buy one. If it turns out that it is ridiculously light, you've still got an interesting conversation piece.

I imagine the gold electroplate is one atom thick, so even if the density is right the slightest scratch would reveal the joke. Hence most of them providing a plastic case for your fake gold, to protect it from damage/deterioration.

I definitely wouldn't count on it fooling any kind of professional, including a pawn shop.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Size:44*28mm
Weight:About 50G

I was going to say you should be able to calculate density based on the measurements they provide, but they don't actually proved all three linear measurements, lawl. Really the only way to be sure would be to put up the $5 and buy one. If it turns out that it is ridiculously light, you've still got an interesting conversation piece.

I imagine the gold electroplate is one atom thick, so even if the density is right the slightest scratch would reveal the joke. Hence most of them providing a plastic case for your fake gold, to protect it from damage/deterioration.

I definitely wouldn't count on it fooling any kind of professional, including a pawn shop.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...2422709780.html

Item Size: 44*28*3mm
Item Weight: 35g

Gold has a density of 19.3 g/cm3,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold

so 4.4*2.8*0.3 = 3.696 cm3
density is 9.5 g/cm3

So, half the weight of gold

As you say, wouldn't fool a pro, but interesting to see how close it is to reality

https://sites.google.com/site/chempendix/densities-of-pure-metals
If those measurements are accurate, it could be copper under there. Or nickel

Perhaps more likely they are roughly accurate and it is iron/steel?

aquaper
Apr 3, 2009

cyberia posted:

That's amazing but what were you searching for to find it?

Freshwater mussels. The mask isn't a mussel though, it's an invasive species from asia called corbicula. Joke's on me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

spog posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...2422709780.html

Item Size: 44*28*3mm
Item Weight: 35g

Gold has a density of 19.3 g/cm3,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold

so 4.4*2.8*0.3 = 3.696 cm3
density is 9.5 g/cm3

So, half the weight of gold

As you say, wouldn't fool a pro, but interesting to see how close it is to reality

https://sites.google.com/site/chempendix/densities-of-pure-metals
If those measurements are accurate, it could be copper under there. Or nickel

Perhaps more likely they are roughly accurate and it is iron/steel?

Given that the block has rounded corners and some embossing on the front, its density is probably a little higher than what you've calculated, which would put it right around the 11.3g/cc of lead.

Nickel alloy is a good guess too though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Be your own growop. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/505...2794360514.html

Seems like a heck of a good deal except the part where it just ends in bare wires.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Bare wires aren't just standard, they're better than random, low-quality, low-amperage Chinese plugs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Be your own growop. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/505...2794360514.html

Seems like a heck of a good deal except the part where it just ends in bare wires.

that's totally normal and you're just supposed to plug the wires into your own appropriately-sized 12VDC power supply. I've bought tons of LED strips from AliExpress and haven't gotten a dud yet.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Received another parcel this weekend, bootleg Lego this time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've considered turning my outdoor storage area into a grow-op this winter, but not for anything illegal, just for herbs and stuff.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Tell that to the cops.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Given that the block has rounded corners and some embossing on the front, its density is probably a little higher than what you've calculated, which would put it right around the 11.3g/cc of lead.

Nickel alloy is a good guess too though.

Makes sense: lead is easy to work with and they probably have lots left lying around from manufacturing paint, make-up and children's toys

I know little about weed: can you grow the stuff just as well on LEDs as you can on those incandescent lights that draw so much electricity?

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

My smoke meth and hail Satan shirt came in. It fits super well and isn't made from dogshit synthetic fabrics. It's a super soft cotton which is surprising.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Duh Ugh posted:

Yeah, I've bought plenty of AE mechanicals and they're all still working, although I don't keep them wound all the time. They are cheap movements which have awful time gain/loss numbers, but whatever, that's easy enough to adjust and if they end up breaking I won't be heartbroken.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pick posted:

I've considered turning my outdoor storage area into a grow-op this winter, but not for anything illegal, just for herbs and stuff.

Same. This year I moved from a townhouse with a little garden to a grey basement apartment. I'm hoping I've got enough light that my houseplants won't all die, but growing herbs or anything else is basically impossible. Even stuff right on the windowsill only gets 20 minutes of direct sunlight a day.

Maybe dodgy chinese lights can save me. Or burn down my apartment. Either way.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just bought a $1 bluetooth adapter, it came within two weeks and works perfectly.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
I ordered some pencil cases last week.

Creative Simulation Milk Box PU Leather Pencil Case Stationery Storage Organizer Bag School Office Supply Escolar Papelaria
http://s.aliexpress.com/nq6RjYFn

I got the "Mister cracker" version of this:
Korean Creative Macaron Cracker School Pencil Case Cute Pu Leather Pen Bag Kawaii Stationery Pouch Office School Supplies Zakka
http://s.aliexpress.com/BfEF7jyq

Also, I bought one of these off of Amazon several months back:

1 pcs novelty banana pencil case kawaii pencil bag rubber coin purse estuches school supplies stationery
http://s.aliexpress.com/bmyErMVJ
(from AliExpress Android).

They only hold, like, seven gelly rollers and I wanted to put a full set in, but they are cheaper on Aliexpress so you could easily afford a bunch of banana pencil cases.

Bored fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 10, 2017

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

spog posted:

Makes sense: lead is easy to work with and they probably have lots left lying around from manufacturing paint, make-up and children's toys

I know little about weed: can you grow the stuff just as well on LEDs as you can on those incandescent lights that draw so much electricity?

Depends on the combined output of the LEDs I think. I've seen setups that use LEDs in addition to regular lighting, but if you're serious about growing best ask those dudes in TCC. There's a special thread for growing weed.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I just realized my aliexpress address is set to the apt next door. They said they haven't gotten anything for me but it would explain why I haven't gotten anything after a month and a half. On the other hand that could just be AliExpress as normal

I am stuck in Chinese Christmas Limbo

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I noticed something amusing in the watch section: the roman numeral for four is frequently IIII. The other roman numerals are usually right, but watch after watch has the same fuckup: IIII instead of IV. These aren't even name brand knockoffs, they're just generic cheap, lovely watches pretending to be way nicer than they are.

I wonder if IIII is the accepted roman numeral for four in China, if they all come from the same factory that doesn't know what a roman numeral four looks like, or if it's an error that has been repeated for so long that it accepted as truth and nobody says anything because face culture?

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

I think that's a thing that happens, on watches and clocks, quite commonly. There was some reason I heard provided for it, but I can't remember.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hogo Fogo posted:

I think that's a thing that happens, on watches and clocks, quite commonly. There was some reason I heard provided for it, but I can't remember.

Dang, you're right! Guess I should have googled before posting. This morning the ignorant rear end in a top hat is me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It's to balance out the VIII better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Two AliExpress things came today! A cool flag I had custom made that ended up being pretty good, if a little more grey/brown/purple where it should be black, and a PS4 skin which I realized is for the PS4 Original, my bad! Looks great otherwise I'm gonna flip it on ebay for 3x the money then order another one