Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You can't block with Kefnet, then play a spell and fall under 7 cards to remove the god from combat and prevent any damage to it iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

odiv posted:

You can't block with Kefnet, then play a spell and fall under 7 cards to remove the god from combat and prevent any damage to it iirc.

I don't see the problem, they are indistructible!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

odiv posted:

People have these very confused with Theros gods. They assume the conditional makes them stop being a creature, which it does not. The conditional removes the built in pacifism.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

This seems really, really solid.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

A coded message about the future of heroes downfall? :sigh:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Is Return as bad as it looks? Sorcery-speed, four mana, to exile one card and get one zombie doesn't feel strong.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Serperoth posted:

Is Return as bad as it looks? Sorcery-speed, four mana, to exile one card and get one zombie doesn't feel strong.

When it's a free card tacked onto a removal spell it's pretty great.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

a ruinous path sidegrade, how exciting

I like the roar of the wurm though E: probably mostly because nostalgia

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It's also a free spell you drew from casting Never or milling it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sure, but instant woulda been hella nice. Not saying this should be a strictly better hero's downfall, more that something more like hero's downfall is more needed.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Serperoth posted:

It's also targeted grave hate to remove delirium or some high cost embalm creature.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I think people are underestimating how good being able to cast return is. Casting ruinous path for 7 is the only way to get the creature. This can be run out on earlier turns, and still lets you get value in the later game.

Also eating an embalm/aftermath card is quite relevant.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

This is a cool card but ffs enough with the sorcery-speed "Hero's Downfall with upside" cards. Hero's Downfall was a 3 mana universal answer which black should have access to.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's also targeted grave hate to remove delirium or some high cost embalm creature.

Probably better than Path since you don't pay all at once if you want a creature, and even if it's smaller you're not putting a land at risk. Either side being instant would help though.

Wurm in standard with discard seems powerful. Push mitigates that a bit.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 10, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This card is slightly better than ruinous path, which was mediocre because instant speed is desperately needed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Booooooo

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So glad I waited to make changes to Animar.

Same. I might take Rashmi out for this, she doesn't really do anything sometimes.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, this is a fine card

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Embalm Roar of the Wurm

not posting hydra's token art is a clear misplay

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I really think it's a lot better than ruinous path. The awaken ability on path is hamstrung by being locked into paying 7 at once. This is so much better as an early-game answer, since you still get the effect later on. It's not going to shake the world or anything, but it has a much better shot at seeing broad play.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Desert appeared in Magic's first expansion, Arabian Nights. The card saw some play in tournaments, but was greatly hampered by the fact that so many of the early decks were completely (or almost completely) creatureless. We actually had Desert in early design files but it proved to be a little too powerful to bring back.

Desert also has the distinction of being one of the first lands to have a nonbasic land subtype on it. While we couldn't bring back Desert, the card, we definitely could bring back Desert, the subtype. The theme shows up lightly in Amonkhet, but will evolve quite a bit with Hour of Devastation.

Last week I talked about how some items were listed for both top-down Egypt and top-down Bolas. Desert was one of these items, as it was both very Egyptian and very harsh and punishing (aka very Bolas).

Looking forward to sand mana

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

not posting hydra's token art is a clear misplay

I like this.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Never to Return is probably stone unplayable because of Heart of Kiran and Copy Cat. It's hard to put cards in your deck that are bad against the two best decks in a format. I guess it might be fine if we see some stuff get banned but as of right now you can't really justify three Mana sorcery speed removal spells.

What the hell, how would Desert of all cards be overpowered?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay someone please explain to me the hosed up logic behind "oh no this thing that kills Saheeli/Chandra/Gideon only does it on my turn I'll never play it".

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sampatrick posted:

Never to Return is probably stone unplayable because of Heart of Kiran and Copy Cat. It's hard to put cards in your deck that are bad against the two best decks in a format. I guess it might be fine if we see some stuff get banned but as of right now you can't really justify three Mana sorcery speed removal spells.

The damage phase, man.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, this is a fine card

It's fine the way Ruinous Path is fine but it's not good and you can't really play with more than 1 of in standard.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It'll probably replace Ruinous Path as the one piece of sorcery-speed interaction you might run, but honestly I'm not seeing enough upside that would justify increasing the number of copies.

You still want your removal to be able to hit vehicles, which this doesn't.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Reminder that Cat and Gideon are dead as a doornail come the Amonkhet banlist

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think I'm on board with this too. They're just too format-defining

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Even if that is true, which i'm not convinced of, Heart of Kiran is still a card.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Sampatrick posted:

It probably would be at common or uncommon for limited and I doubt they wanted to spend a rare slot on a pure nostalgia reprint.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

They seemed quite content the last time they had the opportunity to ban them and didn't.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Even if that is true, which i'm not convinced of, Heart of Kiran is still a card.

They already banned one vehicle, if the other one shits on the new cards they want to push they might just ban Heart of Kiran too, who knows.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Siivola posted:

Okay someone please explain to me the hosed up logic behind "oh no this thing that kills Saheeli/Chandra/Gideon only does it on my turn I'll never play it".

If your opponent is on this in order to kill Saheeli you just wait until turn six and then cast both in one turn. Against Gideon and Chandra you're pretty much just trading down since they're always going to get something out of the deal and you're going to be on very little mana which guarantees their next threat is going to get through. You also can't reliably use it on curve since using it on curve means you're going to be answering something that probably isn't as threatening as a Planeswalker. Expensive sorcery speed removal spells just aren't very good in general and specifically in this Standard they're even worse.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Siivola posted:

this card is probably only marginally better than ruinous path and that card is barely played

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Rinkles posted:

They seemed quite content the last time they had the opportunity to ban them and didn't.
They weren't coming out with a new set.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I really like that card, that seems really good if not as good as Revelation was maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Now there is a card.

• Locked thread