Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The first round last year (which the Senators missed) was the first one I'd really watched more than one team, and holy balls was that one of the best playoff rounds I've ever seen.

Conclusion: First rounds are good and system hockey is boring, but winning is not boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So if I have this right, the flyers are assuredly offloading Schultz and MDZ, god willing they let VDV walk, Cousins may go, and it's all but guaranteed Mason is gone.

That should at least give plenty of room to re-sign The Ghost Bear, and I'm guessing they bump Stolarz up to backup Neuvy. What's the story on Lyubimov? Thought I heard he goes back to Russia if Philly doesn't re-sign him?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks managed to spend to the cap on a 69 point roster. The only other cap teams that failed to make the playoffs were Detroit and Philadelphia who managed 79 and 87 points respectively.

Jim Benning, take a bow.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

ThinkTank posted:

The Canucks managed to spend to the cap on a 69 point roster. The only other cap teams that failed to make the playoffs were Detroit and Philadelphia who managed 79 and 87 points respectively.

Jim Benning, take a bow.

https://twitter.com/jeffveillette/status/851315995407003648

https://twitter.com/hockeydipshit/status/851309055909838849

Canucks a good hockey team

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jim Benning decided this team was a piece or two away from being a playoff team so didn't sell at last year's deadline, made load up trades leading up to the draft by dealing away picks and prospects, signed a big name free agent and the team actually got worse.

Is that the worst lack of foresight by any GM in the history of the sport?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ThinkTank posted:

Jim Benning decided this team was a piece or two away from being a playoff team so didn't sell at last year's deadline, made load up trades leading up to the draft by dealing away picks and prospects, signed a big name free agent and the team actually got worse.

Is that the worst lack of foresight by any GM in the history of the sport?

RWAS will probably want a word with you.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
remember when the Canucks had a hot start to the season and Canucks fans briefly tricked themselves into thinking things weren't so bad

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKing Islanders....

Rangers and Habs should be nailbiting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good soup! posted:

The Philadelphia Flyers will unfortunately be unable to win the Stanley Cup. :(

You'll never get anywhere in life with a defeatist attitude like that. They just need to dig in, simplify their game, and get more pucks on net!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This article from October is a gem from start to finish but I'll pull out some choice quotes

quote:

Linden's crown has dents, but 65-point season is royally absurd. Seriously, do these people know how bad a hockey team has to be to finish with 65 points? The last-overall Toronto Maple Leafs dumped six players last season and auditioned 40 and still finished with 69 points.

quote:

Sixty-five points are a biblical disaster, scorched earth, the end of hockey as we have known it around the Vancouver Canucks since Marc Crawford replaced Mike Keenan as coach in 1999.

Yet, USA Today predicts 65 points for the Canucks and EA Sports simulates 63.

If this be true, not only will management and coaches not survive in Vancouver, but maybe none of us will. The hockey season will drown us before rising sea level and mortgage debt.

quote:

“I expect us to be hard to play against and to compete every night. And at the end of the day, we’re going to be in the fight (for a playoff spot). We do expect to be better this year.”

Surely, they can’t be worse.

Their 75 points and 28th-place finish last season were the Canucks’ lowest this century.

quote:

Since then, the Canucks have added 30-goal scorer Loui Eriksson and Swedish League MVP Anton Rodin without surrendering an asset, and they upgraded the defence by replacing 33-year-old Dan Hamhuis with 24-year-old Erik Gudbranson. Top defencemen Alex Edler and key centre Brandon Sutter are healthy again and the goaltending tandem (Ryan Miller and Jacob Markstrom) hasn’t been this solid since the Canucks had Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider, which was shortly before they had neither. Oh, and a bunch of young Canucks — Ben Hutton, Bo Horvat, Sven Baertschi — look poised for breakout seasons.

So there is no way this team is 10 or 12 points worse
. Unless Daniel and Henrik Sedin are injured or play like they’re 46 years old instead of 36.

quote:

[Linden]"They may say I wasn’t a good (manager) or I wasn’t successful. That may be the case. And that’s fine. But that’s too early to say.”

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/iain-macintyre-lindens-crown-has-dents-but-65-point-season-is-royally-absurd

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Kilza posted:

The playoff match-ups are now set:
East:
TOR @ WSH
CBJ @ PIT

NYR @ MTL
BOS @ OTT

West:
NSH @ CHI
STL @ MIN

CGY @ ANA
SJ @ EDM

Go Caps and Leafs are ok
Go Jackets and gently caress the Pens
Go Habs
...Go bruins?
Go Hawks but also Go Preds
gently caress the Wild but gently caress the Blues harder. Go Wild
Go Flames gently caress the Ducks
Go Oilers but SUPER GO SHARKS

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

And somehow the Avalanche finished 21 points lower in the standings than the Canucks. They were worse than the recent Sabres teams that were quite obviously tanking from the start.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

xzzy posted:

You'll never get anywhere in life with a defeatist attitude like that. They just need to dig in, simplify their game, and get more pucks on net!

This team doesn't have any HEART, in my day they would send out SCHULTZY and teach them A LESSON OR TWO and they won TWO CUPS and gas was 60 cents and our music was better which means we need to TRADE CLAUDE GIROUX

(why do I read Facebook comments about hockey)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

This is good stuff.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

This is good stuff.

My favourite part was when they said that Erik Gudbranson was an upgrade on Dan Hamhuis because he's younger I guess?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

My favourite part was when they said that Erik Gudbranson was an upgrade on Dan Hamhuis because he's younger I guess?

Erik Gudbranson will likely not die as soon as Dam Hamhuis, and you can't teach that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Somehow Benning fell rear end backwards into the correct result anyways so no harm no foul I guess? Well, other than the poo poo contracts he signed guys to.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

toe knee hand posted:

most of those really suck honestly, no historical or regional rivalries.

Rivalries are baloney and they change, grow and die all the time and the playoffs should go back to 1-8

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Rivalries are baloney and they change, grow and die all the time and the playoffs should go back to 1-8

Peripheral rivalries maybe. Stuff like Pens/Rangers waxes and wanes.

Others like Pens/Flyers, Rangers/Isles, Rangers/Devils, Bruins/Canadiens...that poo poo is eternal. Doesn't matter who is on the teams or how good/bad they are.

But yes this playoff format is garbage.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It's great hearing about how long ago some players disliked some other players, and now a totally different group of guys who weren't in country or born when that happened put on different uniforms to continue that visceral hatrfaaaaaaaaarrrrrttt

Then again, I have it on good authority that Potvin still Sucks, so :shrug:

I'm convinced the only reason baseball has all of those stats is because if they didn't, this is what they'd talk about instead. Not sure if I'd rather hear about whose grandpa hates whose other grandpa, or shot-blocking percentages by left-handed defensemen on odd-numbered Februaries in western conference rinks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Somehow Benning fell rear end backwards into the correct result anyways so no harm no foul I guess? Well, other than the poo poo contracts he signed guys to.

He's done a ton of harm because he ended up with a 29th place finish but has been planning for a playoff run these last two years. He traded a ton of picks (more than Mike Gillis in half the time even though Gillis was running a cup contender) and prospects for short term fixes for no reason whatsoever. He tosses picks away like candy so much so that despite the fact this would be a dead last finish nearly any other year we once again don't have a full complement of picks going into the draft.

Seriously, go through his trade history and literally only his last two trades have any semblance of an eye to the future. He bleeds value in every single deal he makes, and he dramatically overpays for guys he targets then signs them to giant extensions.

He also bounces from short term issue to short term issue so we have to expend high draft picks on needs. Our defence was crappy for exactly one season so they traded McCann, the 33rd overall pick and a 4th round pick for Gudbranson and took Juolevi instead of the consensus selection Tkachuk. Defence fixed! Oh wait our offence sucks now, time to trade a defender for a forward! Rinse and repeat.

We could have Ehlers or Nylander and Tkachuk right now if they'd just taken the highest ranked players available but they selected Virtanen and Juolevi to plug holes in their lineup.

A top six of :

Tkachuk-Horvat-Nylander
XXX-2017 Pick-Boeser

would've been a great foundation moving forwards. Oh well, can't teach size and winning.

He also threw money and term at garbage players because they have leadership qualities or something and now we have over $20M tied up in Loui Eriksson, Brandon Sutter, Luca Sbisa, Erik Gudbrnason and Derek Dorsett players of such a low talent level they'd probably not crack the 4th line/bottom pairing of most teams in the league but have to be our core moving forward by default now. At the very least, no one will trade for any of them given what they're paid and how little they contribute.

So no, he's done a great deal of harm and it'll probably taken another 5-8 years to unravel this mess. You know, I think it might've been possible to rebuild the Canucks quickly back in 2014 if the team had tried that. Instead they didn't and we got 6 playoff games out of it and now it means a full teardown rebuild is necessary. Fun.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Maybe having former Swedish League MVP, Anton Rodin, only play 3 games was the reason for their season.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Maybe having former Swedish League MVP, Anton Rodin, only play 3 games was the reason for their season.

He blew out his knee at the end of last year and they knew that coming in. They didn't play him for a long time because it was in such poor shape, then played him and he blew it out again. His career is likely done.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I thought Juolevi looked pretty good in camp, but that's pretty meh production for his +1 year.

e: Although London scored a lot more last year, so not unreasonable.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

I thought Juolevi looked pretty good in camp, but that's pretty meh production for his +1 year.

Sure, he'll probably be a reliable bottom 4 defenceman and would've been a solid 15th overall selection. There's nothing wrong with him, but when you pass up on the guy putting up near first overall pick numbers in his draft year (who then translated that into a 48 point rookie season) you better be something special. Juolevi is not.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

He traded a ton of picks (more than Mike Gillis in half the time even though Gillis was running a cup contender) and prospects for short term fixes for no reason whatsoever. He tosses picks away like candy so much so that despite the fact this would be a dead last finish nearly any other year we once again don't have a full complement of picks going into the draft.

Seriously, go through his trade history and literally only his last two trades have any semblance of an eye to the future. He bleeds value in every single deal he makes, and he dramatically overpays for guys he targets then signs them to giant extensions.

it'll probably taken another 5-8 years to unravel this mess. You know, I think it might've been possible to rebuild the Canucks quickly back in 2014 if the team had tried that. Instead they didn't and we got 6 playoff games out of it and now it means a full teardown rebuild is necessary. Fun.

I can't think of a Benning pun so I'm still going to keep calling it a Feaster Famine.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

We can now compare the matchups in this format to what they would've been as God intended (1/8 seeding). Assuming the two division winners are still 1 and 2:

1) Washington vs 8) Toronto. Leafs don't avoid the crappy draw here.
2) Montreal vs 7) Boston. :getin:
3) Pittsburgh vs 6) Ottawa. Meh.
4) Columbus vs 5) New York Rangers. The Ballad of Rick Nash.

1) Chicago vs 8) Nashville. Does not change.
2) Anaheim vs 7) Calgary. Also does not change.
3) Minnesota vs 6) St. Louis/San Jose tiebreaker loser.
4) Edmonton vs 5) St. Louis/San Jose tiebreaker winner.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In not me whining about the Canucks news: The Panthers have given up on analytics and rehired Dale Tallon as GM

quote:

SUNRISE, Fla. - Florida Panthers Chairman & Governor Vincent Viola announced on Monday that Dale Tallon has been appointed the club's General Manager. Tallon will also retain his title as President of Hockey Operations.

"I am confident that we have the necessary talent throughout our organization to win the Stanley Cup," Viola said. "Dale will continue to be our principle leader as we pursue this single goal."

Tom Rowe, 60, will no longer serve as Florida Panthers General Manager and Interim Head Coach. Rowe will remain with the organization as Special Advisor to Panthers President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Dale Tallon.

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/dale-tallon-named-panthers-general-manager/c-288637636

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So this means Holland and Benning are getting extensions?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

So no, he's done a great deal of harm and it'll probably taken another 5-8 years to unravel this mess. You know, I think it might've been possible to rebuild the Canucks quickly back in 2014 if the team had tried that. Instead they didn't and we got 6 playoff games out of it and now it means a full teardown rebuild is necessary. Fun.

The Devils and Canucks are so bad but it's hard for me to even name more than a few good promising players they have.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

ThinkTank posted:

In not me whining about the Canucks news: The Panthers have given up on analytics and rehired Dale Tallon as GM

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/dale-tallon-named-panthers-general-manager/c-288637636

The Panthers never looked bad to me. I think they just need better d-men.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I feel like the Panthers would have been better if roster spots weren't wasted by players like Shawn Thornton, Derek MacKenzie, and Greg McKegg for large portions of the year. And losing Brian Campbell hurt a bunch too.

Also whoof Nick Bjugstad had a terrible year: 14 points in 54 games and a ~45% CF%.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 10, 2017

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

ThinkTank posted:

Supposedly he has been more involved since December or so.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Jim Benning is a stone cold loving moron

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

I feel like the Panthers would have been better if roster spots weren't wasted by players like Shawn Thornton, Derek MacKenzie, and Greg McKegg for large portions of the year. And losing Brian Campbell hurt a bunch too.

Also whoof Nick Bjugstad had a terrible year: 14 points in 54 games and a ~45% CF%.

their season looks a lot different if huberdeau is healthy. based on the last ~year of weird front office BS though, the result might not have been too different. demoting tallon was a weird panic move that i kind of liked and this is a weird panic move all the same really. you had the commitment to do this but only for a little bit to see how it feels? vinny viola is rowe-curious

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Congrats CAS

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/851465688485122048

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I don't feel any better

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Welcome to Vancouver, Michel Therrien.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

yellowcar posted:

Welcome to Vancouver, Michel Therrien.

Now I feel worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

you have to banish all 3 of the demons to cleanse the soul

yellowcar posted:

Welcome to Vancouver, Michel Therrien.Jack Capuano.

this is a much more realistic outcome

• Locked thread