Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Kawada had four ***** star matches in 1995 (plus probably a bunch of **** matches, too). But hey, the year is young.

Is that so? It's a little different because mid-90s All Japan had the luxury of legit main event tag matches. Not to quibble about it though, Kawada 94-96 was insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sigmachiev posted:

Greatest year run for match quality for a main eventer, ever.

E: Also, Nth.

Samoa Joe

10/02/2004 Bryan Danielson ****
10/16/2004 CM Punk *****
12/04/2004 CM Punk ****1/4
12/26/2004 Austin Aries ****1/4
06/11/2005 Necro Butcher
07/17/2005 Chris Sabin ****1/4
08/12/2005 Christopher Daniels and CM Punk and James Gibson
08/14/2005 AJ Styles ****1/4
09/11/2005 AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels *****
10/01/2005 Kenta Kobashi *****
10/02/2005 with Low Ki vs. Homicide and Kenta Kobashi ****1/4

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

sigmachiev posted:

4/10/2016 Tetsuya Naito ****1/4
5/3/2016 SANADA ****
6/19/2016 Tetsuya Naito ****1/2
7/18/2016 Naomichi Marufuji ****1/2
8/3/2016 Togi Makabe ****1/4
8/6/2016 Tomohiro Ishii *****
8/12/2016 Hiroshi Tanahashi ****3/4
10/10/2016 Naomichi Marufuji ****3/4
1/4/2017 Kenny Omega ******
2/5/2017 Minoru Suzuki ****3/4
3/6/2017 Tiger Mask W ****1/2
4/9/2017 Katsuyori Shibata: TBA

Greatest year run for match quality for a main eventer, ever.

E: Also, Nth.

Being paired with some of the best in the world (and also Togi Makabe) probably doesn't hurt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I honestly can't even believe there are people out there who don't think Okada is exceptional.

Plus, you know, he's not even 30 yet! :stare:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I honestly can't even believe there are people out there who don't think Okada is exceptional.

Plus, you know, he's not even 30 yet! :stare:

Wait til you go on twitter and find the people who think he's bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

Wait til you go on twitter

I'll be waiting a long time :colbert:

But seriously... really? HOW!?!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I thought about it overnight and I want to nominate

HM: KUSHIDA/Hiromu Takahashi

It was funny as hell and nothing amused me so much in wrestling as Brock/Goldberg from Survivor Series. Plus I'm fast becoming a Hiromu mark and watching him merk KUSHIDA was awesome.

By the way, Okada is currently averaging 5.167 stars in title defences for this reign, 4.75+ for this match will keep him above 5 and 4.5 would put him dead on 5.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I'll be waiting a long time :colbert:

But seriously... really? HOW!?!

they think he hasn't done a bulk of the lifting in his matches and was carried by Omega and yesterday by Shibata with both just whipping his rear end through most the matches.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I'm throwing a MOTYC nod to Okada/Shibata. loving awesome. Not at great as the Omega match, but any other year it would be a serious contender.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

they think he hasn't done a bulk of the lifting in his matches and was carried by Omega and yesterday by Shibata with both just whipping his rear end through most the matches.

So they have a problem with the most basic wrestling logic of them all, "Heel beats up face until it looks like he is out, at which point he'll start his big fiery face comeback to the cheers of the crowd."

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

People still struggle with faces getting revenge on heels so ya know

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Germansimp posted:

So they have a problem with the most basic wrestling logic of them all, "Heel beats up face until it looks like he is out, at which point he'll start his big fiery face comeback to the cheers of the crowd."

Well Shibata was totally the face in the match yesterday so who knows lol

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

okada is easily the greatest wrestler in the world right now and anyone who thinks he's bad just straight up doesn't know poo poo about wrestling

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cardboard Box posted:

okada is easily the greatest wrestler in the world right now and anyone who thinks he's bad just straight up doesn't know poo poo about wrestling

IDK if he's the best

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

John Cena is the best.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Okada is ok, I guess. He's not Roman Reigns good, but give him time, he's still young.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Cardboard Box posted:

aj styles is better than okada

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Professor Funk posted:

aj styles is better than okada

aj styles is fantastic but he hasn't had the same track record okada has over the last year, which could be argued is due to the caliber of opponents, but to me the best wrestler in the world is the one who is at that time consistently having the greatest matches

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Naito?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

naito's up there, for sure. nothing bad to say about him.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

naito's up there, for sure. nothing bad to say about him.

Fair. For the record I'm in full agreement with you that Kazuchika Okada is the greatest wrestler in the world right now and his current run of amazing singles matches is proof that he's that good, but I'll be damned if Naito isn't up there with him.

e: with that said, I still maintain that Okada/Suzuki > Okada/Shibata, just because I really enjoyed the story they told with Suzuki's technical work and Okada's fighting spirit, but they're both incredible matches.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 10, 2017

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Imgonna surprise nobody and say Io Shirai

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

MOTYC: Okada vs Shibata - Sakura Genesis

Okada is the best in the world right now. I love AJ Styles but Okada's run right now has been better.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cardboard Box posted:

aj styles is fantastic but he hasn't had the same track record okada has over the last year, which could be argued is due to the caliber of opponents, but to me the best wrestler in the world is the one who is at that time consistently having the greatest matches

AJ Styles got a 4* match out of Shane McMahon

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Cardboard Box posted:

I'm of the opposite opinion, in that the best wrestler is the one who spins gold out of absolute trash. Okada is still in the top 5, at worst, but he is not unquestionably the best. If he had a much lower caliber of opponent and still put on the matches he put on, then I'd say he would be #1 without question.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It's Kane

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

No seriously Okada is absolutely the best wrestler going today.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

Well Shibata was totally the face in the match yesterday so who knows lol

Okada will always be the face in my heart, no matter how handsome his opponent is :colbert: .

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Echoing the Shibata vs Okada love.

Honestly my dream match would be Shibata vs Bret Hart

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

IcePhoenix posted:

AJ Styles got a 4* match out of Shane McMahon

Lets see how many *s Okada gets out of Bad Luck Fale.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Junpei Hyde posted:

Imgonna surprise nobody and say Io Shirai

I think it would be fair to say that Okada and Shirai are a modern equivalent to Misawa and Toyota. Comparisons between them in an attempt to determine who is "the best," when they're both as amazing as they are and both such total packages will almost inevitably be discussing fractions of superiority from a subjective POV, especially if you try to remove gender considerations (ie the training infrastructure that produced them and gender bias' impact on that, biological differences and how they influence wrestling style and technique, promotion sizes and general enthusiasm among their native markets for the product they produce, etc) from the equation and look at them in the proverbial vacuum.

Kenny Omega is the Kenta Kobashi and Asuka is the Toshiyo Yamada in this metaphor I guess?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I guess Naito is the Kawada and Tanahashi is, I dunno, the Tenryu? The Tsuruta?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Imean if you'regonna compare omega to someone, who was the hot gaijin wrestler of that period?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

Imean if you'regonna compare omega to someone, who was the hot gaijin wrestler of that period?

...Wild Pegasus? poo poo, I hope Kenny doesn't end up the same way.

Anyway, if that's the case, Naito is clearly the Kobashi.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

in AJPW?

Johnny Ace! Hell, they even have the same number of 5+ star matches. It's the perfect fit. Can't wait to see Big Kenny bringing people power back to Monday Night Raw in 20 years.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

okadas hair sucks now he cannot be the best in the world

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Okada is definitely the best they got aside from Naito for when Tanahashi retires unless they can get AJ back before then or Iishi learns how to have a second kind of match.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Omega probably belongs somewhere in the conversation too...

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Wazzu posted:

The only debate I'll entertain is whether he's the prettiest.

Okada, Shibata, and SANADA could easily have a 5-star triple threat smolder-off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Junpei Hyde posted:

I see other people have their own ideas but I'm going to put down Dr. Death.

• Locked thread