Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ein Sexmonster posted:

They weren't coming out with a new set.

So what's the point of having that mid season banning date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

So what's the point of having that mid season banning date?

Gives them the option if they want to do it then.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Siivola posted:

"oh no this thing that kills Saheeli/Chandra/Gideon only does it on my turn I'll never play it".

This is the exact answer your looking for, it's like you're a sage

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Siivola posted:

Okay someone please explain to me the hosed up logic behind "oh no this thing that kills Saheeli/Chandra/Gideon only does it on my turn I'll never play it".

With it at sorcery speed, they always get to play their cards uncontested and get to do something with them and pass the turn, and then on your turn you have to pick between which actions you're taking on your main phase when the stack is empty.

This means:

1) the opponent always plays their turn with you being unable to interrupt it.

2) They can just wait to copycat at 6 or 7 or whatever since you can't interrupt it.

3) you can't foil ETBs like Verdurous Gearhulk's, and they always get to pump before attacking

4) You cannot stop a vehicle from attacking you.

5) haste mans always get their licks in.

There is a lot of value flying around and it's only after the opponent is spent that you get to do anything about it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Owns bones. Not quite as good as revelation in terms of locking away a game (the 4 or 5 life was almost as important as the cards when it came to turning the corner against aggro), but being effectively one mana cheaper (since there's always at least one dud when you're drawing that many - and heck, in this format the discard might even be an upside) is pretty nice.

If there are enough tools to survive the early game in the format we could see real control decks back.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Someone post the list from this SCGP article please

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/34890_Todd-VS-Ross-UR-Dynavolt-VS-WB-Aggro-Featuring-Amonkhet.html

These are two things I was thinking about playing!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sampatrick posted:

What the hell, how would Desert of all cards be overpowered?

Limited is a format that people like to play.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gives them the option if they want to do it then.

If they are banworthy (and you think wizards considers them such) why did they not want to ban them at the time?

Imo they should've at least banned cat, and perhaps still will before AKH drops, but I'd hold it against them if they did (it'd show they have no idea what they're doing).

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

So, it's ultimately a narrow card and I overvalue it destroying planeswalkers? Fair enough.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Desert really does a number on combat math with a low opportunity cost.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

If they are banworthy (and you think wizards considers them such) why did they not want to ban them at the time?

Imo they should've at least banned cat, and perhaps still will before AKH drops, but I'd hold it against them if they did (it'd show they have no idea what they're doing).

Because it would look extremely bad if they had to turn around and ban something again come Amonkhet, so they went for 2 bans as opposed to three.

And also because Wizards has no loving clue what they are doing anymore.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Good card, though it means we'll only see Sphinx's revelation as an Invocation if we see it.

mcmagic posted:

It's fine the way Ruinous Path is fine but it's not good and you can't really play with more than 1 of in standard.

*shrug* sure. It's not powerful enough to be a 4-of in the current standard, but I didn't say it was. It's a decent, well-designed card that has a little more utility than Ruinous Path because it doubles as graveyard hate. There's a wide gulf between "not good" and "great" and this falls somewhere in there.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

some quotes from maro's article:

On the colors of Embalm posted:

The design team ended up focusing the mechanic in white and blue. The reason was to support Zombie tribal in constructed. Shadows over Innistrad block has Zombies in blue and black. Amonkhet has Zombies (mummies) in white and black. Black Zombies in Amonkhet block are flavored as not entombed zombies, so the mechanic was a mismatch for black. By putting it in white and blue, it allowed us to maximize the number of Zombies in the three colors players will be building Zombie decks with. There is one red creature and one green creature with embalm.

Monument building posted:

The other cycle was a vertical cycle (one common, one uncommon, and one rare/mythic rare), what we playfully called "Build-a-Monument" in design. The idea for this cycle is that each monument had two activations: one that has an effect and puts a brick counter on the artifact, and a second with a stronger version of the effect but only usable if you had three or more brick counters. This cycle was representing the constant monument-building that went on in ancient Egypt.
(we've seen one of these, by the way}

Desert posted:

Desert also has the distinction of being one of the first lands to have a nonbasic land subtype on it. While we couldn't bring back Desert, the card, we definitely could bring back Desert, the subtype. The theme shows up lightly in Amonkhet, but will evolve quite a bit with Hour of Devastation.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Siivola posted:

So, it's ultimately a narrow card and I overvalue it destroying planeswalkers? Fair enough.

Destroying cards is really important but if the destruction isn't more efficient than the card you kill you will get two-for-one'd and tempoed out of the game all the time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

Good card, though it means we'll only see Sphinx's revelation as an Invocation if we see it.

*shrug* sure. It's not powerful enough to be a 4-of in the current standard, but I didn't say it was. It's a decent, well-designed card that has a little more utility than Ruinous Path because it doubles as graveyard hate. There's a wide gulf between "not good" and "great" and this falls somewhere in there.

The bottom line is that vehicles are unfortunately mostly poo as a concept.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rinkles posted:

Because bannings are disruptive. It's okay to do them at set releases because they disrupt the format anyway - but midseason bans disrupt people who are already playing and enjoying the format. The midseason B&R update is for if things are so dire that the disruption is better than letting the format fester and drive away players.

Wizards decided that no, standard wasn't quite that bad, and so there wasn't any need to midseason ban anything. That doesn't inherently say anything about whether there are going to be bans when the new set appears.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

They already banned one vehicle, if the other one shits on the new cards they want to push they might just ban Heart of Kiran too, who knows.

You're just glossing over the damage banning cards out of standard does to consumer confidence. I don't think they are going to be a regular thing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The real answer is Temur Tower is keeping everything in check and there's a beautiful and vibrant tier 2!

That you never see any of these except for 4-color copycat and Mardu Vehicles is uh...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

You're just glossing over the damage banning cards out of standard does to consumer confidence. I don't think they are going to be a regular thing.

And you're severely underestimating the damage letting format warping decks run around does to player interest. It wasn't the Jace ban and the Affinity bans killing standard around those times.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

print more camels

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Consumer confidence is also a concern if your format is bad, fyi.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jabor posted:

Because bannings are disruptive. It's okay to do them at set releases because they disrupt the format anyway - but midseason bans disrupt people who are already playing and enjoying the format. The midseason B&R update is for if things are so dire that the disruption is better than letting the format fester and drive away players.

Wizards decided that no, standard wasn't quite that bad, and so there wasn't any need to midseason ban anything. That doesn't inherently say anything about whether there are going to be bans when the new set appears.

In their statement they mention looking at PT Amonkhet before making changes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Consumer confidence is also a concern if your format is bad, fyi.

I agree and I think those cards should be banned. I just don't think WOTC will.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rinkles posted:

In their statement they mention looking at PT Amonkhet before making changes.

Which statement?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jabor posted:

Which statement?

B&R in March.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Walked posted:

So I've been dabbling with it a bit; and am considering dropping the Winding Constrictor in favor of Ancient Stirrings. The somewhat frequent 'being short two colored mana sources + sometimes just being short like a single Walking Ballista to close out the game' makes it really appealing to be able to dig 5 deep.

It gets rid of the dependency on black, and lets you dig for some gas to close it out in the last few turns.

Flipside is you're stuck with only 4x 1/1 counter sources, which might just be too little to be viable.

On your advice I found room for Ancient Stirrings, I ended up on cutting 1 Darksteel Citadel, 1 Hangarback Walker, 1 Steel Overseer and 1 Cranial Plating, although I'm considering going down the other Cranial Plating and back up to 4 Citadel.

Plating is quite good but I find that it's my last resort a lot of the time, and I'd usually rather be sacrificing stuff for value, or that it's only giving +2 or 3 because I don't have quite the critical mass of artifacts of regular Affinity

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I agree and I think those cards should be banned. I just don't think WOTC will.

If they don't they can look forward to people dropping standard for literally any other loving game when people stop playing because they either run into the same unbeatable poo poo or have to buy into the same unbeatable poo poo

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Rinkles posted:

The bottom line is that vehicles are unfortunately mostly poo as a concept.

Yeah I mean vehicles ruin a ton of stuff. I think the concept is OK (not great), they just pushed it too hard in a format with poor instant-speed removal.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah I mean vehicles ruin a ton of stuff. I think the concept is OK (not great), they just pushed it too hard in a format with poor instant-speed removal.

I like the idea of Vehicles and I like that they actually made them strong, my complaints about standard come from the power level of everything else.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's a terrible choice for them either way and real hard to quantity if a stagnant format or cutting the value of cards people paid cash money for will lead to more people not playing the game. Short of a time machine to make a not terrible format they are hosed either way.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Alaan posted:

It's a terrible choice for them either way and real hard to quantity if a stagnant format or cutting the value of cards people paid cash money for will lead to more people not playing the game. Short of a time machine to make a not terrible format they are hosed either way.

The weakness of their design/development cycles is really showing. It might be time to stop working on sets 2 years ahead of time or whatever. There has to be better options to "Live with terrible 2 year old mistakes".

And modern masters demand still appears to be strong. I am sure people in suits in high level positions are saying to themselves "Yeah, we should stop printing thing thing that people buy, I don't want to make too much money."

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 10, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That's why the faster rotation was a good idea....

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Ultimately they're going to end up banning copycat because the alternative is people seeing that Amonkhet has no actual new answers to it, and deciding they're not even going to bother buying in - because if it gets banned after the PT, suddenly all the stuff they bought might be worthless, and if it doesn't get banned the format is going to suck.

Yeah, they said they were going to wait for more data. We've seen the data. Unless there are actual cards in Amonkhet that are straight-up playable cards in their own right, that also just happen to hose the combo, copycat would be a T1 deck at PT Amonkhet too if it's not banned.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jabor posted:

Unless there are actual cards in Amonkhet that are straight-up playable cards in their own right, that also just happen to hose the combo, copycat would be a T1 deck at PT Amonkhet too if it's not banned.
I'd call this straight up playable as long as artifacts are around.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

https://twitter.com/mtgjp/status/851349377197105153

Censor
1U
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 1.

Cycling U (U, Discard this card: Draw a card.)

yeah yeah its a weaker censor but i really wanna know what that comic says

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

gently caress yeah

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

They seemed quite content the last time they had the opportunity to ban them and didn't.

Utilizing the mid-season ban has almost no positives for them unless they accidentally put Memory Jar in Hour of Devastation or something.

You're just subtracting the number of available cards when you do it.

Jabor posted:

This is the eloquent way of saying it.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I really like that card, that seems really good if not as good as Revelation was maybe

Definitely very good, especially since the "discard" isn't that big of a deal for one, and can be mitigated as a downside with Aftermath.

I mean, I'd pay an extra W to gain X life and not discard, but hey, its not like anyone expected Sphinx's Revelation to be in this Egyptian themed set :v:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 10, 2017

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Pull from Tomorrow is lit and is especially lit if we get an Aftermath card that has a really good flashback. So far I don't see much like that but maybe we'll get something.

Also, it comboes with Drake Haven and the Archfiend. The cycling deck is looking better and better.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm kinda hoping they'll ban the Felidar and nothing else. Just to see if a T2 deck manages to rise up to challenge Mardu Good Stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Embalm Roar of the Wurm

Whoa, it's even one cheaper on the front end and comes with trample. I guess that's why it got bumped up to rare.

• Locked thread