Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
There seems to be a lot of Menoth talk around here. Has anyone else tried Vindictus this edition? I hadn't looked at him last edition and no one seems to play him now either. I feel like the new feat and spell list is fantastic, is the infantry meta still not common enough? Maybe if an exemplar theme force comes out you could pack in enough high damage units?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I've been having fun with him - that feat is pretty amazing. Pretty good in the current meta because he can deliver weaponmasters best of anyone in the faction - but he does kind of run out of steam lategame as his infantry are killed. His biggest problem is that he can't get out his upkeeps well at all even with focus support - I have still never managed to cast penitence or admonition because every game I've played has been feat and cast DW/TP turn 1, and turn 2 I'm allocating to jacks.

All he really needs is a theme force that gives infantry free upkeeps turn 1 - if the exemplar one does that he'll probably be top tier.

(Vindictus 1) Vice Scrutator Vindictus [+29]
- Eye of Truth [20]
- Vigilant [9]
Wrack [1]
Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
Knights Exemplar [9]
- Knights Exemplar Officer [5]
Knights Exemplar [9]
Knights Exemplar [9]
Knights Exemplar [9]
Knights Exemplar [9]

would be pretty hilarious.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Can you launch a rocket flare with a spriggan when using broadside?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

DJ Dizzy posted:

Can you launch a rocket flare with a spriggan when using broadside?

Yes*

*I think

E: Broadside says "make a basic ranged attack", targeting flare says "instead of making an attack" so unless there is some ruling somewhere saying you can't you should be able to.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Yeah it's come up a few times, both Torch and the Spriggan and use flares for broadside and sentry

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Any advice on modifications to the stock journeyman league?

Was going to use steamroller scenarios because playing without scenario is kinda lovely.

But the point escalation was pretty bad when we first tried it at launch.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

chutche2 posted:

Any advice on modifications to the stock journeyman league?

Was going to use steamroller scenarios because playing without scenario is kinda lovely.

But the point escalation was pretty bad when we first tried it at launch.

I've only done one post Mk3 in the summer after launch. Our PG switched the point increases for week 2 and 3 such that week 2 was +15 and then week 3 was +10. Converges at +25 total in week 3 as per the convention growth, but easier to fit in a heavy if one wishes - especially for the troll box. Can't remember if he did anything else.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I changed the rules so that they could drop one item from their list each week to prevent the weird results of list locking throughout the whole league.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
What's your opinion on a TO playing in games?

Since I'm not sure how big the turnout for my steamroller will be tomorrow (I'm expecting 8-10 from the responses but we've never gotten a turnout that big before so we'll see), I'm bringing lists in case of an odd-number of players so that people can get games instead of having byes. It'll be deathclock, so if I need to make rulings or whatever I can do it on my clock.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

chutche2 posted:

What's your opinion on a TO playing in games?

Since I'm not sure how big the turnout for my steamroller will be tomorrow (I'm expecting 8-10 from the responses but we've never gotten a turnout that big before so we'll see), I'm bringing lists in case of an odd-number of players so that people can get games instead of having byes. It'll be deathclock, so if I need to make rulings or whatever I can do it on my clock.

TO playing the bye is cool and good. TO actively playing in the tournament and like, moving up the bracket is kinda shady and eh. The way we handle it is the player still get points as if there was a bye, but gets a for-fun game against the TO instead of sitting around for 2 hours.

VVVVVV What he said

CaptCommy fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 8, 2017

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I think it works cleaner if the TO isn't in the tournament but offers to play a game that doesn't count with the player who gets the bye.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

GoodBee posted:

I think it works cleaner if the TO isn't in the tournament but offers to play a game that doesn't count with the player who gets the bye.

Yeah, that's how I was going to do it.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
yeah that's how most TOs do it, or they have someone else there to judge their games for them, which is fine

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Around here the TO traditionally builds a super weird list for this.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I won a tournament today :unsmith:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

S.J. posted:

I won a tournament today :unsmith:

Well done lad. What lists?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

xiw posted:

Around here the TO traditionally builds a super weird list for this.

I'm not sure how to build super weird.

Maybe I'll run the full yuri boat with someone. Yuri, 2 manhunters, and full kossites.

Or I could bring my big dumb manowar army that's shock troopers, demo corps, bombardiers, kovnik, 2 drakhuns, and not really much else.

Really, I think I'll just try to bring as many painted models as I can.

Oh, I could break my painted berserkers out of retirement and run vlad1 with my 3 berserkers and drago.

Khador Army - 75 / 75 points

(Vladimir 1) Vladimir Tzepesci, The Dark Prince [+28]
- Berserker [9]
- Berserker [9]
- Berserker [9]
- Drago [14]
- War Dog [3]
Manhunter [4]
Manhunter [4]
Yuri the Axe [6]
Battle Mechaniks (min) [3]
Doom Reaver Swordsmen [13]
Kossite Woodsmen (max) [11]
Winter Guard Gun Carriage [18]

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 9, 2017

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

All painted can be a good thing. If you're getting some foot traffic through the shop while the tournament is going on it'll show off an army.

Depending on the level of players, your bye players might be really new and can benefit from a teaching game. For that, I'd probably try to fit in a bigger variety of different models, even if it's not really a good list. That way they get to see what more things do and be able to recognize them when they see them next.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

fadam posted:

Well done lad. What lists?

https://conflictchamber.com/#b11b_-0n8U9B9E9k9Aakanaj9ze59Gbz

Cygnar Army - 74 / 75 points
[Theme] Heavy Metal

(Haley 2) Major Victoria Haley [+25]
- Centurion [17]
- Defender [16]
- Hunter [11]
- Thorn [13]
- Squire [0(5)]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [0(4)]
Journeyman Warcaster [0(4)]
- Sentinel [8]
Lieutenant Allison Jakes [4]
- Ironclad [12]
Storm Strider [18]

https://conflictchamber.com/#b11b7D9b9H9Aakaj9bg89u7zad9R

Cygnar Army - 75 / 75 points

(Stryker 2) Lord Commander Stryker [+28]
- Charger [9]
- Stormclad [18]
- Thorn [13]
- Squire [5]
Journeyman Warcaster [4]
- Charger [9]
Major Harrison Gibbs [4]
Ragman [4]
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord [4]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Sword Knights (max) [13]

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

S.J. posted:

https://conflictchamber.com/#b11b_-0n8U9B9E9k9Aakanaj9ze59Gbz

Cygnar Army - 74 / 75 points
[Theme] Heavy Metal

(Haley 2) Major Victoria Haley [+25]
- Centurion [17]
- Defender [16]
- Hunter [11]
- Thorn [13]
- Squire [0(5)]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [0(4)]
Journeyman Warcaster [0(4)]
- Sentinel [8]
Lieutenant Allison Jakes [4]
- Ironclad [12]
Storm Strider [18]

How did the Storm Strider go in this Haley list? I love mine with Nemo 3 but you've got no Lightning there.

I can see having a relatively cheap(compared to a colossal) huge base to hide Haley being useful but did it pull its weight?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Absolutely, it did work every game. It got the chance to boost in multiple games and the electro leaps are always great. It won me a game against Caine 3 just with the threat of it.

2x pow 15s are good regardless of the support you spend on it, I think.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I'm selling off my Ret because I don't have time to paint or play a third faction. Thought I'd mention it here to see if anyone is interested before going to FB/eBay. Here's what I have: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-xOcxbu8kwCh3X7NDZXSi0OKPv_Q4FcUtcDjrnfCvug I'm looking for 60% retail for individual items or $400 for the whole lot. Buyer pays shipping.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
We had 8 players show up, which is better than the 3 or 4 we usually get on game nights. I didn't need to play since we had an even number.

The winners table was Circle v Circle. Kaya3 Wild Hunt beat Wurmwood.

The lists in descending order order were Kaya3/Bradigus, Wurmwood/Baldur2, Witch Coven/something never fielded I don't remember, Tristan2/something never fielded, Makeda3/Xerxis2, Some kind of Ret bullshit I didn't pay much attention to Sloan/Haley1, and Kozlov. Last guy was a new player that just had one list.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

head58 posted:

I'm selling off my Ret because I don't have time to paint or play a third faction. Thought I'd mention it here to see if anyone is interested before going to FB/eBay. Here's what I have: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-xOcxbu8kwCh3X7NDZXSi0OKPv_Q4FcUtcDjrnfCvug I'm looking for 60% retail for individual items or $400 for the whole lot. Buyer pays shipping.

Figured I'd ask, since you didn't come right out and mention it, but are you willing to part things out? There's definitely a couple of dudes I'm eyeing, but I can totally understand if you just want it all gone at once, rather than bits here and there.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Is anyone else feeling exhausted by the pace the meta evolves right now? It feels like there’s a new hotness every few weeks. Most of the good lists keep doubling down or more on certain models, and what these particular models are seems to be rapidly changing. For example, I play Legion – I only just finished painting my second Hellmouth, now they’re yesterdays’ news as the theme lists are the new poo poo and everyone suddenly plays three Angelius or three Neraphs.

Now, I’m not overly competitive and don’t feel like I need to play the best lists all day every day, but I still feel overwhelmed by it all. MK3 stirred things up immensely, as did every errata since then. Now the theme lists fundamentally change the way a couple of factions play and work. I have a huge collection already, but only play fully painted and feel like whatever I start painting might be out of favor by the time I’m done with it. I painted up 10 incubi so I can finally plonk down the Kallus1 Blightbringer list that took my fancy during last year’s WTC, knowing full well that the list is mediocre at best by now.

I know MK2 was similar, especially in some factions – Circle players buying up Wolds for Bradigus, after investing heavily in infantry for Morvahna2, for example. But I feel like it’s particularly egregious in MK3. The game is still young, and a lot of stuff that was the bomb just 6 months ago now sits in the shelves. Gunmage Captain Adepts had a brief moment in the sun, now that they’re only usable in one subpar themelists, they’re back in the foam. Una2 or Karchev players also know the pain. The list goes on. The way themelists work for all casters now means they have a much bigger impact on factions as a whole. I just wish PP would put on the brakes a little bit and let us settle in. A month of resculpts would be nice to catch my breath.

I know this comes off as particularly whiney, and maybe it is. Maybe I’m wrong, and having an ever-evolving meta keeps the game fresh. In our meta, a couple of people actually quit the game because they can’t keep up with the changes, though, and that makes me sad.

Despite that rant, I’m still motivated. Next month I’m painting up my Trencher Commandos in preparation for the inevitable Trencher theme force that will suddenly make them the best unit Cygnar has, and ebay will be overflowing with now-useless Storm Lances. I’ll be prepared! Trencher Commando Supremacy 2017!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Luebbi posted:

I know this comes off as particularly whiney, and maybe it is. Maybe I’m wrong, and having an ever-evolving meta keeps the game fresh. In our meta, a couple of people actually quit the game because they can’t keep up with the changes, though, and that makes me sad.

Eh? It's weird you say meta and just point out net lists and theory-hammer while saying your local group has problems keeping up. Meta is literally what your group plays. Unless you go out to national tournaments you don't have to keep up with poo poo.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Aniodia posted:

Figured I'd ask, since you didn't come right out and mention it, but are you willing to part things out? There's definitely a couple of dudes I'm eyeing, but I can totally understand if you just want it all gone at once, rather than bits here and there.

I am, yes. Email me at cdtatro@gmail.com.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

LordAba posted:

Eh? It's weird you say meta and just point out net lists and theory-hammer while saying your local group has problems keeping up. Meta is literally what your group plays. Unless you go out to national tournaments you don't have to keep up with poo poo.

A part of my group is heavily into the netlisting, and comparing and playing known tournament lists. Others stopped trying to compete. I'm not complaining about things like ghost fleet, which is good in theory, but I know noone who has invested the money to buy it.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely a rapid meta right now, probably because of all the themes that have been coming out and people still adjusting to Mk3. It'll probably (hopefully) calm down once all the command books are out.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, it hasn't even been a full year since the edition change, so there's plenty to catch up on.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I played Thexus again yesterday and hot drat is he a good and fun caster. I don't ever want to play him in a timed environment though, christ.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Does anybody know if the full versions of the junior Warcasters are steamroller legal? I know they got pre released but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Gorefiend posted:

Does anybody know if the full versions of the junior Warcasters are steamroller legal? I know they got pre released but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Because they were available on the web site during the convention they were released at, they were considered available to everyone(even if some of them sold out within an hour of going up), so they are all legal for steamroller player.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That reminds me, I need to assemble the Jakes I got forever ago. I really like playing her.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Fyrbrand posted:

I played Thexus again yesterday and hot drat is he a good and fun caster. I don't ever want to play him in a timed environment though, christ.

Yeah, totally. Like I'm beyond the point of getting decision paralysis, but I still have to run through SO MANY different options with Thexus before I can even 'snap' pick one, and THEN you have a million billion models to move, lol. Have you played much with Cognifex Cypon? Its weird, he's similar, but ... kind of direct? Like, still loads of thinking, but, I dunno, like, 'depth first' instead of 'breadth first' with Thexus, lol.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So my store has the new khador stuff for sale. Thinking about running this list:

[Theme] Jaws of the Wolf

(Harkevich 1) Kommander Harkevich, The Iron Wolf [+28]
- Behemoth [25]
- Black Ivan [19]
- Grolar [18]
- Victor [38]
Greylord Forge Seer [0(4)]
Manhunter [0(4)]
Manhunter [0(4)]
Widowmaker Marksman [0(4)]
Battle Mechaniks (min) [3]

Either Behemoth, or a Juggernaut and Kodiak for those points, not sure yet.

This is an option, too:

[Theme] Jaws of the Wolf

(Karchev 1) Karchev the Terrible [+30]
- Behemoth [25]
- Destroyer [14]
- Devastator [14]
- Juggernaut [12]
- Juggernaut [12]
- Kodiak [13]
- Marauder [10]
Manhunter [0(4)]
Widowmaker Marksman [0(4)]
Battle Mechaniks (max) [5]

Another list I think they'd be good in:

(Sorscha 1) Kommander Sorscha [+29]
- Juggernaut [12]
- Ruin [17]
- Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator [4]
Alten Ashley [6]
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios [7]
Greylord Forge Seer [4]
- Destroyer [14]
Kell Bailoch [5]
Widowmaker Marksman [4]
Kossite Woodsmen (max) [11]
Widowmaker Scouts [8]
Winter Guard Infantry (min) [6]
- Winter Guard Rocketeer (3) [6]

Forge seer with destroyer is a really great package. He can also put winter's chill on sorscha1 to be like S2's freezer except on a model that's higher def and so can get more use out of it. Kossites will be ADing as a skirmish line, with fog of war up Alten Ashley, Marksman, Kell, Eiryss, and Kossites are stealthed. Not having Joe won't be too terrible I think.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 10, 2017

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

forgeseers are always gonna be better points than manhunters. They're too fuckin good.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

albany academy posted:

forgeseers are always gonna be better points than manhunters. They're too fuckin good.

That's definitely true. But I own two manhunters and forge seers are $25, so I'm not buying a second one for a while for the odd list where I'd take two.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Forgeseer makes me a little salty about Strangeways, but I'll deal. Still, though. FA2.

e: Anybody getting rid of any convergence stuff?

S.J. fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

S.J. posted:

The Forgeseer makes me a little salty about Strangeways, but I'll deal. Still, though. FA2.

e: Anybody getting rid of any convergence stuff?

I have a little I'm trying to get rid of. Some obstructors, a corollary, diffuser, optifex directive, ADO, a magnetized walking heavy, and I think unassembled I have the mk2 battlebox plus an extra galvanizer. Some of it is a little beat up that I got second hand, namely that the corollary is painted and the base peg is broken, and the obstructors don't have bases and one is missing a shield, and the diffuser is primed and missing its base.

Was trying to put some convergence together about a year ago but ended up losing interest. Already sold most of it off to a friend, except my prime axiom that he's still thinking about.