Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Crazy Ted posted:

I don't think that's a weird thing to notice. That's probably not a bad trait for an NBA prospect to have. On the flip side, if a team were to take Grayson Allen the NBA would loving eat him alive because every single opponent would find exactly what button to push to set him off at a moment's notice and do something real stupid to hurt himself and his team.

Good sportsmanship is something I appreciate. In watching condensed Gonzaga games he looks to be as advertised, a pretty mobile 7 footer who has a frame to get stronger and who shoots pretty well, although again another white big who's projected as a stretch big despite shooting very few threes at a mediocre percentage in college.

It looks like the pistons will have their choice of Collins, TJ Leaf, who's a nice intangibles guy who could be a 3rd big man fixture for years or could be absolutely nothing, I'm not sure, Markannen, who might be good but I can't tell, and Miles Bridges, who I really like, but If they draft Bridges they really need to trade someone because their 2-3-4 tweener sack is stuffed to the brim. KCP will probably get a max offer sheet from the Nets and I think it would be stupid to let him go. If the team keeps losing they can trade him in a year and at least get some value in return. Marcus Morris's contract is a great value and he's the toughest defender and emotional core of the team. Stanley Johnson might wash out of the league because of his haircut. Reggie Bullock shows flashes of competence until teams put him on the scouting report and he goes back to the end of the rotation. Darrun Hilliard looks like he could be a 7 minute per game player. Michael Gbinje hasn't really had a chance to show anything. then you have Tobias Harris who gets buckets. But that is a loving pile of tweeners.

Tobias Harris has proven himself a real scorer and I think was humbled when Orlando traded him for nothing and I'd hate to see him leave, but if they could package him and Reggie Jackson for salary filler and a pick from 19-25 to roll the dice and draft Harry Giles, plus an early second round pick to select Edmond Sumner, I would be happy.

The team has to be built around guys who play tough and don't pout, specifically because Andre Drummond mirrors the emotion of his point guard, Brandon Jennings made him tough and joyful, Ish Smith got him to pass the ball, Reggie Jackson got him to sulk and play soft on defense. He's a lamb. He needs a good shepherd of a pg to make him play hard on defense and hard roll on offense and stop worrying about fouls like he's so precious an extra 3 minutes without him will end the team's chance at winning.

Other random guys I've watched lately that seem to have some game: Jordan Bell, specifically as a Tristan Thompson esque small ball center as needed and just a high flying energy guy otherwise, and kobi simmons from Arizona as a one man fast breaking instant offense bench unit scoring skinny fella.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Small ball center is not a thing right. He's just a small center .

Maybe you are using it right idk.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Small ball center = a center who can score outside the paint and/or switch on defense
Small center = a traditional post player and rim protector who is just shorter than average

In my head anyway.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Does anyone have an opinion of Zach Collins?

I seen him in those games like everyone else and I thought he looked good enough to get a shot at the NBA.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/EuroLeague/status/850460768915075072

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

He's extremely cool

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

tanglewood1420 posted:

Small ball center = a center who can score outside the paint and/or switch on defense
Small center = a traditional post player and rim protector who is just shorter than average

In my head anyway.
Small Ball Center = Boris Diaw
Small Center = Wes Unseld

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is it 2018 yet?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

That announcer sounds so sleepy

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Hopefully Charlotte holds on to the 11th spot and doesn't get stuck with Lauri. It feels like there's a drop-off right after there.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

Small ball center is not a thing right. He's just a small center .

Maybe you are using it right idk.

Tristan Thompson, a guy who can guard the rim but switch multiple positions and rebound. The rich man's small ball center is Draymond Green who can do that stuff and help orchestrate actions and make pnrs vary danger-ouse. I'm just saying that's Jordan Bell's potential. For now he's a pf with good weakside shoot blocking instincts who can't shoot

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 9, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

morestuff posted:

Hopefully Charlotte holds on to the 11th spot and doesn't get stuck with Lauri. It feels like there's a drop-off right after there.

Markkanen is maybe the most decisive player in the draft, but I stand by my opinion that he's gonna be one of the three best players in the draft.

But even with that decisiveness he's not going to fall to 11.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rick posted:

Markkanen is maybe the most decisive player in the draft, but I stand by my opinion that he's gonna be one of the three best players in the draft.

Hornets just don't need a big man. I'm not that picky, provided one of Tatum, Monk, Fox, Smith, Isaac or Ntilikina fall to them I'd be happy. Bridges and Lauri are the only guys in the range I'm iffy on.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

You mean divisive right because otherwise I don't know what any of this means

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Indecisive player starts shot, coughs, stops midshot, pretends he was just fixing hair not shooting a basket. *glances nervously at the crowd like game show contestant*

What should I do? I just don't know I just don't know, oh boy *tugs nervously at collar*

*Markkanen enters, knocks player to floor, takes ball, scores decisively*

*crowd cheers hysterically, indecisive player wets shorts, transforms into corncob*

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Do you think he can play adequate defense at centre againste NBA players

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/Sportando/status/851139597211979776

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DeimosRising posted:

You mean divisive right because otherwise I don't know what any of this means

Oops, yes.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Wow...I love this

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

I am not sure. He started to defend the college guys well by the end, bit shutting down ASU is a lot different than a pro team.

I do feel like at the very least he is going to try to defend which usually means guys will at least get passable over a long enough career.

To me though even if he isn't great defensively I wouldn't sweat it too much because I think it's easier to cover for the bad defensive big man than it is to get a good offense out of most defensive big men.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lol for a second I thought the caption was a snarky joke because it started to look exactly like the previous video where he held onto the ball for the entire clock and shot a stepback 3

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rick posted:

iLoveMarkkanen

he will be a good nba mans

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'm not Rick and I never will be barring some sort of Face/Off scenario but I wouldn't really care if he could defend post players since there are so few of those and he's so versatile offensively that his defense almost doesn't matter, just like that one German blonde guy in his prime

He's not an amazing rebounder but he's pretty agile for his size so I can't imagine switching on pick and rolls will be a huge deal for him, I figure he'll struggle against the Andre Drummonds and DeAndre Jordans of the world but most NBA centers do

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Markkkkkkanen will finally be the NBA player that Finland can be proud of

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

iLoveMarkkanen

he will be a good nba mans

I'm not Rick and I never will be barring some sort of Face/Off scenario but I wouldn't really care if he could defend post players since there are so few of those and he's so versatile offensively that his defense almost doesn't matter, just like that one German blonde guy in his prime

He's not an amazing rebounder but he's pretty agile for his size so I can't imagine switching on pick and rolls will be a huge deal for him, I figure he'll struggle against the Andre Drummonds and DeAndre Jordans of the world but most NBA centers do

His super fast release is great, I like the way he dribbles when he has space, I like the way he completely ignores contests by smaller players. I don't like the way he shys away from contact at the basket. I suppose if his college offensive game translates 1:1 he only needs to be as good as a bad plumlee on defense to not be a net negative.

Of the Dirk players in the draft I prefer Hartenstein although the only games I've seen of his have been against poor competition. But he's so much more mobile, laterally quick, and athletic than Markannen. He can truly handle the ball and he has no problem dribbling into the defense and getting an easy layup. His shooting form reminds me of a quicker version of Buddy Hield's. He also has dirk esque fadeaways, markannen does them a bit from the elbow but Hartenstein will do it anywhere.

He' s not as large as Markannen, but I think that might be to his benefit, because he can more naturally play pf.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 10, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Poor Petteri Koponen.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Don't forget Hanno Möttölä

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Drew Gooden is half finnish.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Looking at the team abbreviation in the score made me think Brooklyn got relegated to the Euro Leagues.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

cisneros posted:

I think at this point he's all finished.

creamcorn fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 10, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I love Lauri Markkanen and I don't care who knows it. Worst case he's Frank Kaminsky

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I would not mind Lauri Markkanen on my team

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

cisneros posted:

Did I stutter :colbert:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

I would not mind Lauri Markkanen on my team

He seems like a good fit, but I think people keep projecting him to MN because he looks like a guy from Minnesota.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

He seems like a good fit, but I think people keep projecting him to MN because he looks like a guy from Minnesota.

This also happens with Utah every year. I think Chad Ford has projected them to take a white guy in like 15 consecutive drafts. Currently he has them taking Moritz Wagner AND Luke Kennard

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 10, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

I'm not entirely sure. Our most glaring need is a starting 4, and he seems to perfectly fit that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not entirely sure. Our most glaring need is a starting 4, and he seems to perfectly fit that.

I'd rather get a SF who can shoot and defend, but yeah he's a good fit. I think that's just a coincidence though. Blonde curly haired white guys go to Minnesota, it is known.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

This also happens with Utah every year. I think Chad Ford has projected them to take a white guy in like 15 consecutive drafts. Currently he has them taking Moritz Wagner AND Luke Kennard

"has projected" as in he had them projected for Utah or he now has his website saying he projected them for Utah

lol it's still crazy to me that he'd undermine his credibility like that. Aren't his rankings supposed to be based on feedback he's getting from the teams about their preferred players, not even his overall evaluations of the players themselves?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

EvanTH posted:

Aren't his rankings supposed to be based on feedback he's getting from the teams about their preferred players, not even his overall evaluations of the players themselves?

If this is true his sources for some teams are pretty bad.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

grievous insult to Drew Gooden

e: GODDAMMIT SOMEONE BEAT ME TO THE ACTUALLY DREW GOODEN IS FINNISH POST I WILL NOW PRINT OUT MY POSTS AND IMMOLATE MYSELF IN SHAME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

OG Anunoby declared for the draft. Someone please tell me how excited I should be if the Kings miss out on Issac and get to choose between him and Bridges

• Locked thread