Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I hope there's an evolution for Drifblim that's just the Hindenburg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

edit: Double post, sorry.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Oh my god

This game is amazing

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

KataraniSword posted:

It's one thing to try to swindle people into buying poo poo

wasn't the game free even before the C&D forced people to go through more illegitimate ways of getting it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yeah the game is free, idk what that guys smoking

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Toraen posted:

Speed Boost doesn't trigger if you gained it partway through the turn or if you switched in that turn.

Oh, that makes sense.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
I'll give some points to Uranium in, at least, the theater and stuff I think was modelled after Greek and Shakespeare-era play stuff? Where even the women roles were played by men so... I guess it's... something.
Even if it seems like a really odd info dump for a Gym Leader to give you before you fight her, and you never really bothered to ask.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

With Chorps mentioning Dramsama's..."inspiration", I looked up the blog post and I learned more about Uranium's design philosophy than I expected to learn.

quote:

It also learns Transform, for the lulz, and also because a Pokemon with base 135 HP using Transform is scary as heck. (Transform Dramsama would likely be banned in competitive play, but it’s in Uranium because we can.

That says a lot.

If you want to read it, it's here, but it shows off a pokemon OFS hasn't encountered yet.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

quote:

because we can.

That explains so much about their "design philosophies." With that said, they seem to have slightly come to their senses for that one, since its actual base stats are lower than the ones said in the blog.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Carlosologist posted:

as a person who teaches Shakespeare, the Twelfth Night reference was right there with the gym leader disguised as a man. wouldn't make it any less stupid though

As You Like It had Roselind. But still, the people who made this thing really dropped the ball here. References to Elizabethan theater in Drama Town? That would've been great if done right.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

somebody hosed up that snivy's face

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MissEchelon posted:

somebody hosed up that snivy's face

he got punched in the nose and it popped out the back of his head

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ometeotl posted:

With Chorps mentioning Dramsama's..."inspiration", I looked up the blog post and I learned more about Uranium's design philosophy than I expected to learn.

That says a lot.

If you want to read it, it's here, but it shows off a pokemon OFS hasn't encountered yet.

oh no

Mister Olympus posted:

Wolpertingers/Jackalopes/Rabbits With Horns What Drunk People See are pretty common folklore creatures, presumably spawned from sightings of rabbits with a disease that gives them horrible tumors.

thank you for teaching me something.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Actress solves sexism in pokemon game is somehow not the most utterly ridiculous thing in this game

It's maybe the single best example thus far of "we literally just threw in whatever" regarding how this game was designed. Why is poke-sexism a one-off gym leader subplot expressed almost entirely through one monologue? Who thought this was a good choice?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

GeneX posted:

Actress solves sexism in pokemon game is somehow not the most utterly ridiculous thing in this game

Considering the "Gamer girl" and "crossdressing gym leader" "jokes" they had earlier, I'm almost positive that this gym leader was made specifically as a fig leaf for all the sexist poo poo they put in.

"See! We're not sexist! We even have a woman who did a man's job!"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There's a weird quirk with this trainer but it's not worth the effort of showing it.
So if you're not going to show us, are you going to at least tell us about it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"It'd probably get banned from Competitive". Not with Team Preview, no Impostor, and 4x weaknesses to Ghost and Dark it won't.

Sure, it's beefy, but there's a reason wind-up moves are almost universally garbage. I could see it being an interesting anti-lead because of Illusion, but again, Team Preview puts a big dent in that. It seems like it's got a lot of useful sets, which is what got Lucario banned, and theoretically, I could get Dramsama banned, too. But if it did, Transform wouldn't be the reason why, it'd be having a 135/60/70 Zoroark who can Mega Evolve. (Psychic/Ghost is decent offensive STAB, and with Focus Blast, it'd have perfect neutral coverage. Leaves a slot open for Nasty Plot.)

Not even counting all the things that can come into play with baiting a Transform and then switching, there are a host of Pokemon who would take the turn of wind-up from a Dramsama switch-in before it transforms and just tear it in half. Things with any amount of setup will destroy it. You know, exactly the kinds of things you're supposed to bring a TFer in against.

252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dramsama: 588-692 (142.7 - 167.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dramsama: 780-920 (189.3 - 223.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dramsama: 801-951 (194.4 - 230.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dramsama: 888-1048 (215.5 - 254.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Or, my favorite

+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 1356-1596 (329.1 - 387.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Edit My point here is that not only are they making lovely, arbitrary game design decisions and faulty assumptions, it's that even the assumptions they're disregarding are incorrect.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 10, 2017

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I like the actor Gym gimmick and the new illusion lad looks cool. Everything else is just very weird and stilted though.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

"It'd probably get banned from Competitive". Not with Team Preview, no Impostor, and 4x weaknesses to Ghost and Dark it won't.

Sure, it's beefy, but there's a reason wind-up moves are almost universally garbage. I could see it being an interesting anti-lead because of Illusion, but again, Team Preview puts a big dent in that. It seems like it's got a lot of useful sets, which is what got Lucario banned, and theoretically, I could get Dramsama banned, too. But if it did, Transform wouldn't be the reason why, it'd be having a 135/60/70 Zoroark who can Mega Evolve. (Psychic/Ghost is decent offensive STAB, and with Focus Blast, it'd have perfect neutral coverage. Leaves a slot open for Nasty Plot.)

eh, the 135 got nerfed to 85 somewhere along the way so the point is moot.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Randalor posted:

Considering the "Gamer girl" and "crossdressing gym leader" "jokes" they had earlier, I'm almost positive that this gym leader was made specifically as a fig leaf for all the sexist poo poo they put in.

"See! We're not sexist! We even have a woman who did a man's job!"

I actually think it's the other side of the horse shoe. They think they're being super progressive and open. It's the same as Pokemon Reborn. Don't play Pokemon Reborn.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

krisslanza posted:

I'll give some points to Uranium in, at least, the theater and stuff I think was modelled after Greek and Shakespeare-era play stuff? Where even the women roles were played by men so... I guess it's... something.
Even if it seems like a really odd info dump for a Gym Leader to give you before you fight her, and you never really bothered to ask.

Shakespeare for sure was an influence on this, but I'm pretty sure the masks are a stronger reference to Commedia Dell'arte, especially considering the Italian flair of Venesi City (Get it it's Venice said in a lovely faux italian accent ha ha ha).
So while a lot of the update showed some bad stuff like the Titanic pokemon or Syrantide's actually-horrid design/spritework, as a theatre guy I'm pretty okay with them referencing a theatre form that Joe the Plumber may not be familiar with.

That being said I would much prefer the concept of Pokemon!Commedia be pulled off in an official game where Italy was the region of choice.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I like Masking. He's okay.

I'm surprised Miasmedic isn't worse. Was expecting some edgey skeletal death bird or something, but its almost disappointing in how meh it is.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Onmi posted:

I actually think it's the other side of the horse shoe. They think they're being super progressive and open. It's the same as Pokemon Reborn. Don't play Pokemon Reborn.

There's no "they", unless you mean the gender neutral singular pronoun; it's completely disconnected from anything else either thematically or narratively.

That leads me to believe one person just sort of came up with the gym and everything involved, everyone else gave it a cursory glance and were happy it looked relatively balanced, and it was implemented as-is.

It's just utterly jarring.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Onmi posted:

I've heard horror stories about Reborn and played maybe fifteen minutes of it and wasn't impressed

Hard level caps and ridiculous battle gimmicks that take the different Terrain moves and run a marathon with 'em are the least of that game's problems

For heck's sake, can't we have a pokémon fangame that's relaxed and fun to play instead of constant angst, darkness and gritty realism?

Fangames could stand to take more notes from official games on story and presentation

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zereth posted:

So if you're not going to show us, are you going to at least tell us about it?

When it comes up, anyway.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

GeneX posted:

There's no "they", unless you mean the gender neutral singular pronoun; it's completely disconnected from anything else either thematically or narratively.

That leads me to believe one person just sort of came up with the gym and everything involved, everyone else gave it a cursory glance and were happy it looked relatively balanced, and it was implemented as-is.

It's just utterly jarring.

I don't make assumptions when it comes to fan game development because, having done it myself and been part of that stuff, I know how things can go. So I used "They" to imply either a single person or potentially more. Just from my own experiences with fan communities and development.

Vinylshadow posted:

I've heard horror stories about Reborn and played maybe fifteen minutes of it and wasn't impressed

Hard level caps and ridiculous battle gimmicks that take the different Terrain moves and run a marathon with 'em are the least of that game's problems

For heck's sake, can't we have a pokémon fangame that's relaxed and fun to play instead of constant angst, darkness and gritty realism?

Fangames could stand to take more notes from official games on story and presentation

I've seen stuff from all 16 episodes (Also Episodic Pokemon Game is bad juju) and it just gets worse. It is very much the case of "I believe I am being deep and meaningful and representative" and instead it just being... awful.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Route 13 has this tiny-rear end pond.

It's the only place with these before Dive.

Also it has the sinking Titanic and the iceberg that did it.

This is an actual Uranium Pokemon.

I think what gets me the most is that the Titanic is found in this tiny-rear end pond, not in the ocean. Also that you need Dive to find it because it is sunk already. :allears:

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
Look, yes the game is stupid. Yes the writing is a trainwreck and it's obvious that the game was never playtested. Yes, the random Elizabethan theatrical sexism subplot being brought up and resolved in the course of a single gym battle is really stupid.

But at the same time

I'm just saying.

That has to be worth something

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

HardDiskD posted:

I think what gets me the most is that the Titanic is found in this tiny-rear end pond, not in the ocean. Also that you need Dive to find it because it is sunk already. :allears:

They're wild in the oceans on route 12 as well.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
titantice is good

dramsama is bad

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
9/11's are found all over the place too I suppose. Hindenburg's can only be found in the safari zone I'm assuming this game has, and a rare Malaysian aircraft can sometimes be found in the ghost town.

I'm joking about all of these but now I kind of have a morbid expectation for a game that features anthropomorphized national tragedies.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

They're wild in the oceans on route 12 as well.

It takes away a bit of the magic, but still, a sea liner in a pond.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Isn't Drifblim kinda sorta already the Hindenburg?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Dramsama. Don't gently caress with me, assholes!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like the Hindenburg pokemon would have to be fire/ghost or fire/flying.

What typing is the Titanic pokemon? Ice and ??? or Mono Ice? Now I have the idea of a ghost ship pokemon in my head as a cool thing.

I like Duplicat. It's not amazing, but it feels like it fits into the pokemon formula of "animal + pun"

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I think this city used to have horrendous framerate problems. It turned out it was animating all the water all the time, including a load of tiles you can't even see.

Anyway, Duplicat is cute :3:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
How do you decide if a wild titanic ship is female or male?

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Oxyclean posted:

What typing is the Titanic pokemon? Ice and ??? or Mono Ice? Now I have the idea of a ghost ship pokemon in my head as a cool thing.

Ice/Steel

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Titanice is mono-ice. It should totally be ice/steel, that'd totally make it less sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Titanic sank bow first. Titanice has a face on it's rear end.

• Locked thread