Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Knifegrab posted:

I feel like when I pat my meat dry it never gets really bone dry and that effects the sear, any techniques? I just use paper towels. Should I let teh meat rest after the bath before the sear?

Patting it dry with paper towels is enough. It will never be bone dry, you just want to minimize surface water to a reasonable degree

Are you putting a little bit of oil on your skillet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

theres a will theres moe posted:

gotta PEEP THAT MEAT

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Sacred Cow posted:

I just finished a chuck at 135 for 24 hours and it's interesting to have a chuck taste with a steak consistency. What kind of temp/time would I need to get a traditional pot roast consistency if I wanted to try again in the future?

Meh I would just drop it in a pressure cooker and have pot roast in an hour max. Not seeing the point of sous vide chuck and wanting pot roast consistency.

That being said this was a dope recipe https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/flavor-packed-feast-worthy-chuck-roast

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Trastion posted:

Yeah this was my first time and I was following a couple site's recommendations. I think I will go with a higher temp next time also. How much does time really affect it though if you are holding it at the same temp? Mine was unshelled also.

I would argue that fish and shellfish, much moreso than meat, are susceptible to big texture changes when left too long in the water bath. I rarely cook fish for more than 15 minutes.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Knifegrab posted:

I feel like when I pat my meat dry it never gets really bone dry and that effects the sear, any techniques? I just use paper towels. Should I let teh meat rest after the bath before the sear?

If I've got the time I like to put whatever I want to sear on a plate uncovered (on a rack if it's feasible) in the fridge for a bit- say half an hour to an hour. Fridge air is dry and (I'm assuming) it also can help prevent overcooking when I sear.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Steve Yun posted:

Patting it dry with paper towels is enough. It will never be bone dry, you just want to minimize surface water to a reasonable degree

Are you putting a little bit of oil on your skillet?

I typically don't oil because it just smokes and I feel like I get less of a crust but gently caress if my crust game ain't poo poo already so I'm probably loving it up, maybe I'm using the wrong kind of oil.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Sunflower or canola, and when it smokes *JUST* before you put in the meat, a tsp of butter. The butter melts and bubbles right away and you just plop your meat on top. The proteins in butter help with the crust.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Is there a reason ghee doesn't get recommended more often? Obviously there are situations where you wouldn't want the flavor, but I mean when you do? It seems to have the pros of both butter and canola.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Not sure, but I thought ghee was cleared of the proteins... maybe that's why

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's more expensive than oils and somewhat unnecessary for a 500+ degree gently caress you sear. I prefer clarified to avoid the toasted flavor and lards are also good.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That reminds me, I have some suet leftover, could I use that to sear a steak? (not the shredded kind, I melted and strained it to use in Christmas puddings, it has just been sitting in the fridge for a while)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

I'm trying a 24 hour/139 degree, super lean beef shoulder today. We will see how it comes out tonight.

Super tender, not a ton of flavor though, and kind of dry (compared to other sous vide beef I've done.) Easy way to make pot roast beef edible without the pot, but for the money and the effort, its better to go Chuck. The FAT is where the magic happens after 12 hours.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hopper posted:

That reminds me, I have some suet leftover, could I use that to sear a steak? (not the shredded kind, I melted and strained it to use in Christmas puddings, it has just been sitting in the fridge for a while)

yes and it will likely do very well.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Alright guys, I gently caress this up everytime I do it, but I'm gonna try again. I'm gonna do two filet mignon's sous vide style. Does anyone have any recommendations for poo poo I should put in the bag with the steaks? Garlic? Rosemary? Butter?

I'd assume 130F is a good temperature. Maybe like 2 hours?

I'll try and do the searing method mentioned above and use canola oil, and right as it starts to smoke I'll drop some butter in there and then the steaks right on top to sear. Question, when doing this, when I flip the steak should I put another dallop of butter down or no?

Any and all help appreciated, I always manage to gently caress up steaks when I sous vide (YES I KNOW ITS SUPPOSED TO BE EASY!)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I have had good results with just one blob but a second for the 2nd flat side may not hurt. Also do not let the steak sit on one side longer than 10-15 seconds max otherwise it will get too hot inside and you loose that perfect medium rare core.

My go-to is a total of 1.5 minutes max changing sides every 15 seconds at the latest. I hold the steak with a tongue when searing the thin sides and try to catch all sides once before I flip it back onto a side that has already been seared once, if I deem the crust good I will stop before the 1.5 minutes are reached.) The thinner your steak the less time you should sear it in total.

Edit: do you use a cast iron pan? I exclusively do it in cast iron, other pans loose too much heat when you dump the steak in and the temperature is too uneven.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 7, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Hopper posted:

I have had good results with just one blob but a second for the 2nd flat side may not hurt. Also do not let the steak sit on one side longer than 10-15 seconds max otherwise it will get too hot inside and you loose that perfect medium rare core.

My go-to is a total of 1.5 minutes max changing sides every 15 seconds at the latest. I hold the steak with a tongue when searing the thin sides and try to catch all sides once before I flip it back onto a side that has already been seared once, if I deem the crust good I will stop before the 1.5 minutes are reached.) The thinner your steak the less time you should sear it in total.

Edit: do you use a cast iron pan? I exclusively do it in cast iron, other pans loose too much heat when you dump the steak in and the temperature is too uneven.

Yes I'm using cast iron. I always thought 15 seconds on a side was not nearly enough for a good sear/crust, I thought you needed like a full minute per side.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

Yes I'm using cast iron. I always thought 15 seconds on a side was not nearly enough for a good sear/crust, I thought you needed like a full minute per side.

You flip multiple times. So it will get 45 seconds or so on each side, just not all at once. Definitely the way to do it to avoid getting a big old temperature gradient.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm in the "flip only once" camp, but I'll try the 15 seconds. I always thought you need to wait for the crust to form for the pan to release the meat, or else if you try to flip too soon you'll just leave crust stuck to the pan.

I've never had problems with overcooking when searing my way, but it never hurts to mess with a good thing :v:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

filet mignon is one of the few cuts SV doesn't really benefit.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

filet mignon is one of the few cuts SV doesn't really benefit.

I've cooked it and have been very happy with the results. It won't transform it into something new because it's not rendering fats like it does other cuts of meat, but it's going to nail the temperature.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm in the "flip only once" camp, but I'll try the 15 seconds. I always thought you need to wait for the crust to form for the pan to release the meat, or else if you try to flip too soon you'll just leave crust stuck to the pan.

I've never had problems with overcooking when searing my way, but it never hurts to mess with a good thing :v:

In my experience, this is largely a problem with a pan at lower heat, or with wet meat. For initial searing, I might look at 1 minute to ensure it releases, then flip every 15-30 seconds.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

My buddy swears by deep frying his sous vide steak in peanut oil at 400 for 25 seconds.

I just use my cast iron

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I'll try the flipping every 15 seconds over and over until the crust is well defined.

In terms of what I should put in teh bag when I puddle it, rosemary? Garlic? Butter? What makes a good filet?

And again how long, what is a good time?

I am doing Filet because my S.O. wants bearnaise sauce and I beleive a filet is the best steak to pair with bearnaise sauce.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 7, 2017

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

I am doing Filet because my S.O. wants bearnaise sauce and I beleive a filet is the best steak to pair with bearnaise sauce.

That's because the filet is tasteless. Its only redeeming quality is being "tender", but with an IC you can make pretty much anything just as tender.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Chemmy posted:

That's because the filet is tasteless. Its only redeeming quality is being "tender", but with an IC you can make pretty much anything just as tender.

So what steak would you recommend that would pair well with a bearnaise?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Knifegrab posted:

tube steak

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

A Salmon steak.

Also this.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Knifegrab posted:

I'll try the flipping every 15 seconds over and over until the crust is well defined.

In terms of what I should put in teh bag when I puddle it, rosemary? Garlic? Butter? What makes a good filet?

And again how long, what is a good time?

I do a lot of pepper, a little salt, and some garlic and a sprig of rosemary on the fatty side when i freeze my steaks. 2-3 hours at 125 and then sear it. I generally just get sirloin and call it a day.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Crunkjuice posted:

I do a lot of pepper, a little salt, and some garlic and a sprig of rosemary on the fatty side when i freeze my steaks. 2-3 hours at 125 and then sear it. I generally just get sirloin and call it a day.

Do you mince the garlic or put in a whole skinned clove?

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

Knifegrab posted:

Do you mince the garlic or put in a whole skinned clove?

I use the heel of my hand to crush the garlic, and then I remove the skin.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Anybody done skirt or flank steak for Thai beef salad sous vide? Since the steak is served chilled I like it cooked medium but I'm wondering if sous vide changes things at all.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yo I'm gonna cook a beef tongue.

I hear 170 for a day is good.

Confirm / Deny?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Alright guys, just made the filet with bernaise. Literally best thing I've ever made, pics to follow.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Looking forward to the pics.

In the meantime: SV'd boneless skinless chicken breasts are quite delicious (well, for chicken breast, anyway) but I've never figured out how to sear these damned lumpy things. Even a torch is kind of unsatisfyingly uneven, and if I spend too long evening it out I get overcooked insides. Tips? I guess for skinless chicken I could technically skip the sear but drat that's ugly looking food.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Ciaphas posted:

Looking forward to the pics.

In the meantime: SV'd boneless skinless chicken breasts are quite delicious (well, for chicken breast, anyway) but I've never figured out how to sear these damned lumpy things. Even a torch is kind of unsatisfyingly uneven, and if I spend too long evening it out I get overcooked insides. Tips? I guess for skinless chicken I could technically skip the sear but drat that's ugly looking food.

I haven't done this personally but as thick as supermarket chicken breasts can be, I'd consider butterflying and searing the newly created flat sufaces only.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I'm not saying it is the best thing ever. But the crust was great, it was cooked to my liking very well, and the sauce was astounding.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Found some individually plastic packaged salmon and tuna filets.

1) Can I just drop the Salmon in the puddle, or do I need to re-bag them into ziploc?

2) For the Tuna, I want to use them to make sashimi, but I shouldn't puddle them to thaw faster, right I should just let them sit in the fridge?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

blarzgh posted:

Found some individually plastic packaged salmon and tuna filets.

1) Can I just drop the Salmon in the puddle, or do I need to re-bag them into ziploc?

2) For the Tuna, I want to use them to make sashimi, but I shouldn't puddle them to thaw faster, right I should just let them sit in the fridge?

1) Yes, you can cook them as-is as long as the package is sealed well enough to prevent leakage

2) Let them thaw naturally

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

1) Yes, you can cook them as-is as long as the package is sealed well enough to prevent leakage

2) Let them thaw naturally

Copy Big Danger, over and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

salmon you may want to brine first though for presentation purposes.