Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

I thought not lighting up black pixels was the entire point of AMOLED screens

Yeah I read the description of the app and though that myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's at about 40% on the slider and auto enabled, will I really see that much of a difference dropping it another 10%?

Try it!

Honestly it depends on your environment too, if you're in bright light (especially sunlight) it's going to crank a lot more to compensate. But in my experience you can reduce drain a lot by taking it down a notch, and you probably won't even notice the difference after a while

Depends what you're doing and how low you go though, but that's my top battery tip. Also why it's weird when people compare screen-on times, it's wildly variable depending on what your screen is doing and that's the big battery killer unless you're playing :pcgaming: rad games

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

If, today, one person bought a pixel and one person bought an S7 edge, who would be happier with their phone in a year and a half?

I wouldn't buy either which is why I suggested the S8. Or wait for the pixel 2

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I preordered the S8+ but if the Pixel XL 2 has water resistance and a microSD slot I'll feel pretty stupid.

I will also feel stupid if the battery explodes and burns down my apartment

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FBS posted:

if the Pixel XL 2 has water resistance

It will.

FBS posted:

and a microSD slot

It won't.

e:

I set it to this, we'll see what happens!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Well since I liked the Note7 so much, maybe the S8+ would be what I'm looking for. Pixel 2 will probably be good, but if they stick with doing Verizon and unlocked only then it's a no-go for me since I have T-Mobile's Jump On Demand thing.

Edit: Or, you know, I could just wait for the Pixel to come out and buy it and quit leasing phones like a poor.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 9, 2017

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i just want a pixel 2 right now, because my 6P is clearly aching for death

it's still months away though, and i've been considering a slight upgrade bump cheap replacement phone in the meantime. the main issue is that i'm a usb-c man now so things like the Moto G are out of the game for me.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wait, the Moto G5 doesn't have USB-C?

Okay, now it's definitely my next phone after my N6 dies.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

docbeard posted:

Wait, the Moto G5 doesn't have USB-C?

Okay, now it's definitely my next phone after my N6 dies.

Yep USB micro with Motorola's turbocharger/QuickCharge 3.0 fast charge.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

FBS posted:

I preordered the S8+ but if the Pixel XL 2 has water resistance and a microSD slot I'll feel pretty stupid.
You can 100% count on the next (or any) Pixel not having an SD slot.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've got a nexus 6P on 7.1.2 in the UK and I'm positively aching to get Google assistant, but apparently not enough to root or go to beta or change what version my phone reports. I've been seeing articles for over a month saying it's in the process of being rolled out, had a couple of updates to my OS, but still no sign of it. How do these things usually work? Am I likely to be waiting another month?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Anjow posted:

I've got a nexus 6P on 7.1.2 in the UK and I'm positively aching to get Google assistant, but apparently not enough to root or go to beta or change what version my phone reports. I've been seeing articles for over a month saying it's in the process of being rolled out, had a couple of updates to my OS, but still no sign of it. How do these things usually work? Am I likely to be waiting another month?

I don't know, but I've got it on my N6 for some inexplicable reason, so I can't imagine you'll have that long a wait.

(I don't really use it, as I don't do voice command stuff in general, and it's mostly just made searching for poo poo less convenient, probably because I haven't bothered to figure out how to use it properly.)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I don't really have any of the smart things that make assistant better, but it's noticeably slower than now and will often cut off the first part of my voice commands because it hasn't bothered to start listening yet after I say ok google. Maybe the smart home control things make it better but assistant is bad imo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

All I wanna do is set a drat timer :mad:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Blue Train posted:

I don't really have any of the smart things that make assistant better, but it's noticeably slower than now and will often cut off the first part of my voice commands because it hasn't bothered to start listening yet after I say ok google. Maybe the smart home control things make it better but assistant is bad imo

I was going to complain about the exact same thing. On my 6P, I used to be able to continue my command after saying "Okay Google", but now I have to wait a couple seconds and guess when it's ready, and half the time I'm too early so it only catches the end of my command.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

You can 100% count on the next (or any) Pixel not having an SD slot.

Further reason to never buy said phones.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

grimcreaper posted:

On the other hand USB otg is a thing and the pixel comes with an adapter for it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Why would you need an SD card with an 128GB onboard storage option? How many animes do you really need to store locally?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why would you need an SD card with an 128GB onboard storage option? How many animes do you really need to store locally?

Hey man, it's not my fault it takes Goku 45 episodes to pull off one attack.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well you see the complete PSP library

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It's grimcreaper, don't encourage him.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh

*checks NAS*

All of them

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Has anyone switched from iOS to a non-flagship Android phone? My iPhone 7 is going to be getting replaced, and I've been thinking of selling the fresh one and switching to a Moto G5+. I'm getting sick of chasing $800 phones, and I use Google services. Will I regret this intensely?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

IuniusBrutus posted:

Has anyone switched from iOS to a non-flagship Android phone? My iPhone 7 is going to be getting replaced, and I've been thinking of selling the fresh one and switching to a Moto G5+. I'm getting sick of chasing $800 phones, and I use Google services. Will I regret this intensely?

I went from an iPhone 6 on a $90/mo contract to a Moto G on a $20/mo MVNO a few years ago and loved it. It's so much nicer to own the phone and shop around for cheap providers. I don't use a ton of data so I use a T-Mobile MVNO that's kind of pay as you go and pay a fraction of what I did previously--I've easily saved $1000 or so in the last couple years. As far as the switch from iOS to Android goes it's fine. There are a few more rough edges in Android but overall on a modern phone like the G5+ (what I have now) it's very nice. The only caveat is if you're deep in Apple's ecosystem with iTunes, their storage, etc. etc. then you'll regret it immensely as none of that is available on Android. If you use third party stuff like Dropbox for storage, Spotify for music, etc. you'll be just fine (and if you're on Google stuff then you're definitely fine). I really can't think of a single standout feature from the iPhone that I miss or isn't available on Android.

Actually the one thing I do miss is a sleep timer for audio apps--in iOS it's built into the alarm but in Android you need to hunt down a lovely 3rd party app to do it. If that's my only complaint in two+ years of switching then it's not so bad IMHO.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 10, 2017

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

IuniusBrutus posted:

The G5+ is a good phone. There are several good android phones at both the $250 and $400 price points. The thing you may miss most from iPhone is the camera.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I just got my G5+ today and I'm really liking it so far. I have a few things I'm not sure about but I'm not sure if that's a phone thing or a android thing or just that I've never used a smart phone before. Like why does it never seem consistent in how I unlock the screen? Why can I sometimes casually rest my finger on the phone and not bring up random poo poo and other times random poo poo will come up. how come when I go OK Google play siouxie and the banshees and I'll find myself listening to not them.

otherwise it's a learning experience but I'm happy with my purchase so far.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Switching from an iPhone 7 to a low-end Android is going to be a huge exercise in frustration.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Endless Mike posted:

Switching from an iPhone 7 to a low-end Android is going to be a huge exercise in frustration.

Eh depends. If all they do is web browse and social media I don't see much of an impact.

If they like taking pictures though..

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Eh depends. If all they do is web browse and social media I don't see much of an impact.

If they like taking pictures though..

I think it's fair to say taking pictures with a phone is more of a "when" than an "if." Granted, a whole lot of people couldn't give much of a poo poo about minor quality differences between top-end devices but when you're going from iPhone quality to the tater quality that is down-market Android you're probably going to have complaints.

Edge cases to the contrary, taking pictures with a phone is expected user behavior, and lmao at how bad cheapodroid cameras can get.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Looking at the BLU R1 HD as a cheap burner phone for my wife and I, to take to Paris this summer. We'll be gone for a week total. This is basically going to be a minimal point of contact and a way to catch an Uber, not much more. I'll have a decent camera for photos.

Am I going to literally die a painful death using this for a week? Has anyone used one before? Any other suggestions in that range ($60)?

Anyone have suggestions for a cheap/decent PAYG provider over there? Probably would be better served with a data plan with a couple gigs for maps/uber and whatsapp.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A few people had bought one itt and said it was fine for what it was

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

sirbeefalot posted:

Looking at the BLU R1 HD as a cheap burner phone for my wife and I, to take to Paris this summer. We'll be gone for a week total. This is basically going to be a minimal point of contact and a way to catch an Uber, not much more. I'll have a decent camera for photos.

Am I going to literally die a painful death using this for a week? Has anyone used one before? Any other suggestions in that range ($60)?

Anyone have suggestions for a cheap/decent PAYG provider over there? Probably would be better served with a data plan with a couple gigs for maps/uber and whatsapp.

My kid uses one for basic poo poo and Pokémon Go. It's a perfectly capable phone for your use case.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Uh

*checks NAS*

All of them

Hope there might be a 256G option this time around for the Pixel 2, but 128G is pretty roomy, and USB 3.X/WiFi AC makes that transfer pretty painless.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Well you see the complete PSP library

Dude, gotta trim the fat and compress those suckers. I can fit like 90% of the good ones on 32G29G. (2 16G MicroSD into a Memory Stick adapter lol)

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Apparently Google wants the Pixel 2 to have a curved screen

quote:

Google makes $880 million bid to secure curved OLED display supply for Pixel 2 launch
http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/04/10/google-pixel-2-curved-oled-display/

Not sure how I feel about that. Having used an S7 edge and currently a Priv, I really don't "get" what's so great about curved screens because they offer 0 functionality and makes getting a case super annoying. :smith:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The S7 Edge screen really does look amazing, best screen on a smartphone I've ever used (except for maybe the S8 I guess), and it feels perfect in the Spigen Neo Hybrid case. So I'm very okay with this news for my next phone The Pixel Two.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

TollTheHounds posted:

I really don't "get" what's so great about curved screens because they offer 0 functionality

This is true for the Priv, but not for the S7 Edge.

quote:

and makes getting a case super annoying. :smith:

Um, how?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

The S7 Edge screen really does look amazing, best screen on a smartphone I've ever used (except for maybe the S8 I guess), and it feels perfect in the Spigen Neo Hybrid case. So I'm very okay with this news for my next phone The Pixel Two.

I miss the "pop" of OLED and I have no idea why it hasn't become as standard as capacitive touchscreens for the ability to light individual pixels in the age of adaptive display. Is there still a screen door effect with subpixels or whatever it was back in the early Galaxy S7 days?

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
My Nexus 5X keeps freezing. Straight up will just randomly stop with whatever was on screen. I have to hold the power button to get it to turn off and reboot. It'll even do it during booting, sometimes it can take 5+ times before I finally get it to fully reboot. Very rarely a random part of the screen will get a little corrupted when it freezes, but that's very rare. It started happening Friday evening. Earlier that week I updated to 7.1.2, no other new apps installed. Could it be related to 7.1.2? I've tried a factory reset but the problem persists.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

TollTheHounds posted:

Apparently Google wants the Pixel 2 to have a curved screen

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/04/10/google-pixel-2-curved-oled-display/

Not sure how I feel about that. Having used an S7 edge and currently a Priv, I really don't "get" what's so great about curved screens because they offer 0 functionality and makes getting a case super annoying. :smith:

I super miss the sexy curved screen the Nexus S had. It was such a pleasure to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Sorry to say but that'll be a hardware problem. Is it still in warranty?