Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

Arcana: Justice
Skills:
Persona: Robin Hood (Strong against Bless, Weak against Curse). 3rd in HP, 5th in SP.
Stat Growth: He's Good At Everything

Do you hate the idea of playing video games? Do you wish you didn't have to do that? Then you'll love Goro, who destroys everything in the game! He has physical damage, he has instant kills, he has both bless and curse damage covered, he's the only party member with almighty damage, he has the best debuff in the game - the only thing he can't do is heal and buff, and even then he has Samarecarm. His only weakness is that all his skills are extremely SP intensive and his SP is not especially high. And he lacks much to do against bosses before he gets his debuff - his single target damage is hardly bad, but he's outpaced by Makoto, Ryuji, and Ann. Still, he's far and away the best party member for most any occasion, especially Mementos runs. Other party members do certain things better, and he lacks the niche uses of Haru, but he makes wide swaths of the game a total cakewalk.

End-Game: A+
okay im gonna need someone to drop in a spoiler tag the date Goro joins cause im gonna be making grabby hands at my boy the entire time

Also these are really good, thank you!

For how good Ryuji is I really wish I liked him more cause that fool's gonna be on the curb when Makoto shows up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also I don't care if they have a SSS+ rank and they have the most tragic backstory to explain everything, I'm not putting a narc in my party

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i just asked goro and he said he's not a cop. and like, he has to tell me if he's a cop

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It feels really weird that that write-up completely ignored the fact that Ann gets Concentrate (and Fire Break for if you need that) and Yusuke gets the Baton Pass damage boosters. Pretty sure those two are Kind Of Big Deals, especially when you consider that each Baton Pass increases the effect so if you can get a full chain of 3, with Ryuji, Ann and Yusuke it doesn't matter who gets the final shot. They all (those three and Joker) have means to do absurd things with it. :shrug:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just a heads-up, if you dig that character like all good Persona 5 players should, her S-Link is gated by Knowledge 3. I basically went to cram school when I found out

It's worth getting as much Knowledge as possible anyway since you need to max it to finish Best Girl Hifumi Togo, so getting it to 3 for Second Best Girl Makoto Niijima is a nice midpoint bonus.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm on 11/25, and I have a few questions about gameplay stuff Does it do the P4 thing where it skips you ahead to the end if I beat the boss early? I assume it doesn't but it can't hurt to check, especially because Morgana just warned me to do my loving Confidants you idiot, this is your last chance. Follow-up: Do Haru, Ann, or Yusuke have Mementos blocks in their later levels? I'd like to do everything in one so getting that done would be nice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

It feels really weird that that write-up completely ignored the fact that Ann gets Concentrate (and Fire Break for if you need that) and Yusuke gets the Baton Pass damage boosters. Pretty sure those two are Kind Of Big Deals, especially when you consider that each Baton Pass increases the effect so if you can get a full chain of 3, with Ryuji, Ann and Yusuke it doesn't matter who gets the final shot. They all have means to do absurd things with it. :shrug:

I was gonna say, I know I'd heard good things about Ann and Yusuke in the late-game and I was wondering why going by that write-up. Ann with Fire Amp, fire spells, and Concentrate should be able to do pretty stupidly good damage to anything that doesn't resist fire, much like Ryuji with Charge and God Hand, right?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

It feels really weird that that write-up completely ignored the fact that Ann gets Concentrate (and Fire Break for if you need that) and Yusuke gets the Baton Pass damage boosters. Pretty sure those two are Kind Of Big Deals, especially when you consider that each Baton Pass increases the effect so if you can get a full chain of 3, with Ryuji, Ann and Yusuke it doesn't matter who gets the final shot. They all have means to do absurd things with it. :shrug:

It's worth getting as much Knowledge as possible anyway since you need to max it to finish Best Girl Hifumi Togo, so getting it to 3 for Second Best Girl Makoto Niijima is a nice midpoint bonus.

Yeah, I was beelining Guts to up the Death and Temperance confidants, and I thought I would keep going to get A Real Handgun. But instead I switched over to focusing on Knowledge and Charm because of them

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Moltrey posted:

i just asked goro and he said he's not a cop. and like, he has to tell me if he's a cop

But he did say he was a cop. Like, that was one of the first things he said to you, after saying he wanted pancakes. Ah, I found the script.

The PHANTOM THIEVES are conspicuously talking about their lives and the illegal things they do in a public setting. GORO bursts through a door, hopping on one leg to slow his momentum.

GORO: Did somebody say pancakes? I'm Naoto but without the gender problems!

Bogart fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 10, 2017

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My party for all of Persona 4 was basically Yukiko Chie and Teddie. I feel like the three people who match those roles - Ann, Yusuke, and Morgana are gonna be on my bench in Persona 5.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

It feels really weird that that write-up completely ignored the fact that Ann gets Concentrate (and Fire Break for if you need that) and Yusuke gets the Baton Pass damage boosters. Pretty sure those two are Kind Of Big Deals, especially when you consider that each Baton Pass increases the effect so if you can get a full chain of 3, with Ryuji, Ann and Yusuke it doesn't matter who gets the final shot. They all (those three and Joker) have means to do absurd things with it. :shrug:
tbh i just missed concentrate in ann's skilllist. even with it i feel like she's mostly outclassed by a ryuji/makoto/haru party for bosses. as for the baton pass thing, eh, I didnt find it that useful mostly because you gotta get a one more to begin with and those can be hard to come by in some bosses.

Harlock posted:

My party for all of Persona 4 was basically Yukiko Chie and Teddie. I feel like the three people who match those roles - Ann, Yusuke, and Morgana are gonna be on my bench in Persona 5.
if it makes you feel better I'd say Haru is closer to the Teddie 'gets a bunch of random stuff nobody else really wants' role.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I know Ryuji is a complete killing machine and Yusuke is pretty just-okay, but the second I saw Yusuke's static pose in battle I knew that I had to use him. It's like Raiden jumped out of Metal Gear Rising and into Persona.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

I was gonna say, I know I'd heard good things about Ann and Yusuke in the late-game and I was wondering why going by that write-up. Ann with Fire Amp, fire spells, and Concentrate should be able to do pretty stupidly good damage to anything that doesn't resist fire, much like Ryuji with Charge and God Hand, right?

Magic is harder to mainline than physical skills since SP is a less renewable resource than HP.

Also Makoto does more damage with her magic nuking than Ann does for less SP in the endgame. Ann isn't bad, just not the absolute monster Ryougi/Makoto are.

(also Makoto has a special gun that you can craft for +10 to all stats which gives her higher mag than Ann. Its a little silly)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Bogart posted:

But he did say he was a cop. Like, that was one of the first things he said to you, after saying he wanted pancakes. Ah, I found the script.

The PHANTOM THIEVES are conspicuously talking about their lives in a public setting. GORO bursts through a door, hopping on one leg to slow his momentum.

detective working with police doesn't mean he's a cop!

cops are stupid, the last place they'd suspect to look for a teen if that teen was pretending to work with cops!

goro is like paul walker in F&F movies, just going around saying "I'm Not A Cop!" but he actually is (he's not)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm just hitting early July and I have way too many links, help

Almost done with Ryuji, he's at 8. Haven't touched Ann in ages so she's still at 3, and Makoto is just about to outpace her. And then Yusuke's at 2 but that's fine since all I need from him is Baton Pass and he doesn't seem that great in battle yet? He's just there if I really need another ice/phys user since Ryuji is king of beatdowns.

And then way too many night links. Just started Iwai and Becky, Sun's at 2, Moon's at 4, and haven't even gone to unlock Star/Devil and the shogi player yet. I haven't made coffee for ages so Sojiro's like Ann and stuck at 3.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Goro somehow has the dumbest outfit in the game with his stupid mask in the Metaverse so gj there guy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
his marching band leader + crow mask is cool actually

he's a hero of justice.

his sole purpose is uncovering the truth

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sojiro is real slow to level up in any case and is gated by the story.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
What's the deal with evolved Personas in his game --- do they get more than the Evade Weakness skill?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

OddObserver posted:

What's the deal with evolved Personas in his game --- do they get more than the Evade Weakness skill?

Pretty sure that's all they get. Persona 4 Golden had a third evolution that gave special skills. That doesn't seem to be in Persona 5.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sojiro is real slow to level up in any case and is gated by the story.

Sojiro has like 5 separate gates, its absurd. Several that are time based, one max kindness, one thats a special solo mementos fight.

OddObserver posted:

They also get Null instead of resist for their primary element and a second resisted Element.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Persona 5 Platinum wherein you throw away the goddamn cat when it tells you you need to go to bed at 8 in the evening.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

OddObserver posted:

They null their chosen element and become strong against another element. I typically ditch the Evade skill because the party members I've actually maxed have too much poo poo.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Bogart posted:

The PHANTOM THIEVES are conspicuously talking about their lives and the illegal things they do in a public setting. GORO bursts through a door, hopping on one leg to slow his momentum.

Goro could be improved 5000% if he just Kramer'd into your group all the time.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Although whats 5000% of ZERO!!!!! HYUK HYUK

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Is there a multitasking confidant? Like could I watch a dvd and make some tools at the same time maybe? Or read a book instead of intently staring at the washing machine for the entire day.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I gotta say though, I wish the protag got Lightsabers and laser guns like Goro does. Some of those are rad as gently caress

Pistol/Knife is boring. :(

socialsecurity posted:

Is there a multitasking confidant? Like could I watch a dvd and make some tools at the same time maybe? Or read a book instead of intently staring at the washing machine for the entire day.

Temperance lets you pay your teacher to Wash/Make Curry/Make Coffee/Make tools. You need to pay 5k but you can do other stuff that night.

At max she lets you call her to get your night timeslot back after a Palace/Mementos dive and does all the stuff for free.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

socialsecurity posted:

Temperance can make tools for you. Or Coffee, Curry, or Wash clothes.

Costs money, though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Temperance sort of does that if you pay her 5000 Yen to like do your laundry or make coffee instead, and I think she also eventually lets you do a Palace/Mementos and something at night which is cool.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zore posted:

I gotta say though, I wish the protag got Lightsabers and laser guns like Goro does. Some of those are rad as gently caress

Pistol/Knife is boring. :(
i like the idea that goro dug around in his childhood toybox to find stuff to bring into the metaverse.

Meanwhile the protag just rolls up with an seven inch long knife

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just love that Yusuke the artist just rolls in with an assault rifle like it's Call of Duty

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It's great that he just happened to have that on him when he dropped in the Metaverse for the first time, yeah.

Even better is that Haru uses axes and grenade launchers though. :allears:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Does anyone have a nice fusion chart? Im at work and I want to print one off onto some card stock

e:

SettingSun posted:

Since it's not in the OP and I've been thinking about it, here's the fusion chart:

Oh and thank you, from the previous page.

Serf
May 5, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just love that Yusuke the artist just rolls in with an assault rifle like it's Call of Duty

I promptly ditched him because he's got an annoying voice and my MC has bufu covered, but that was pretty funny when it happened.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bogart posted:

No way, Naoto had a gigantic stick up her butt and even after it got pulled out she was still stiff. Goro likes to have fun

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Okay so here's a hot tip: Despair is a ludicrously powerful status ailment. I made a persona with an all-target Despair attack, and holy poo poo?

Anything that gets hit with it spends 3 turns without being able to act, and then they just loving die

Abysmal Surge has a "medium chance" of inflicting the entire enemy party with it and it costs a measly 12 SP

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Moltrey posted:

i like the idea that goro dug around in his childhood toybox to find stuff to bring into the metaverse.

Meanwhile the protag just rolls up with an seven inch long knife

I mean the rumormongering students in the very early game say you always carry a knife around so

I've never actually made curry, what are the in-game benefits?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Lakbay posted:

I've never actually made curry, what are the in-game benefits?

Leblanc Curry? It's a full party SP restore.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Instant Grat posted:

Okay so here's a hot tip: Despair is a ludicrously powerful status ailment. I made a persona with an all-target Despair attack, and holy poo poo?

Anything that gets hit with it spends 3 turns without being able to act, and then they just loving die

Abysmal Surge has a "medium chance" of inflicting the entire enemy party with it and it costs a measly 12 SP

Be careful you arent hitting someone whos weak to despair and overvaluing it. Certain monsters are weak to certain statuses so that might be why it seems so great, if youre hitting someone whos super susceptible to it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Dragonatrix posted:

Leblanc Curry? It's a full party SP restore.

Is that gated behind Sojiro's confidant? I'm guessing so because I was confused when Temperance mentioned it and I haven't gone past 4 for Sojiro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes, you need to more of Sojiro's stuff before you get it.