Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

JD posted:

I kinda think that Croix isn't evil, and has good intentions, but is using underhanded means to make changes happen

It's been the case so far that no one is actually evil, they just have differing opinions of how things should go. I do hope this continues, it's a lot more interesting than "fight the bad guys because they are bad".

Also Croix has the best character design, I love it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

JD posted:

So Croix and Chariot's personalities flipped at some point. Does that mean Diana might have fun someday? And Akko will read a book?

I kinda think that Croix isn't evil, and has good intentions, but is using underhanded means to make changes happen

It was a false flag operation! :freep:

Keeping in mind that it kind of is still a kid's show, so I imagine Croix's idea really is to accumulate or siphon away all the magic for some "nefarious" purpose like becoming god or using the Shiny Rod to summon Cthulhu or something. But you never know! Maybe Trigger will surprise me and Croix will have an actual nuanced point to make!

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Croix's probably just a tankie or something and the moral will be "ends don't justify means."

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dang commie witches

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

My prediction is that Croix has innocent intentions but she'll lose control of her tech somehow and it'll all go haywire.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Wait for the ending being just a two-episode long John Galt speech.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Music Theory posted:

Croix's probably just a tankie or something and the moral will be "ends don't justify means."

Couldn't help but notice that the fairy who got hospitalised was a scab.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Tenebrais posted:

My prediction is that Croix has innocent intentions but she'll lose control of her tech somehow and it'll all go haywire.

innocent intentions that involve shoving students out of towers just to conveniently swoop in to save her

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Futaba Anzu posted:

innocent intentions that involve shoving students out of towers just to conveniently swoop in to save her

Yep!

I guess I mean noble goals. Whatever she's trying to do, she's not exactly doing it above board.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

trigger finally saved anime, huh?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

trigger finally saved anime, huh?

Well, I wouldn't say saved, but they made a drat fine anime show.

Just retreading the show again, I really love how Diana made the absolute classic right-wing talking point - "You people should be glad that we [job creators] gave you jobs!" - and Akko loving called her on it for being a privileged snob who has no idea how the other half lives. It's rare to see that point made in any kind of media, no matter which side of the ocean you're on. Felt real cathartic.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Well, I wouldn't say saved, but they made a drat fine anime show.

Just retreading the show again, I really love how Diana made the absolute classic right-wing talking point - "You people should be glad that we [job creators] gave you jobs!" - and Akko loving called her on it for being a privileged snob who has no idea how the other half lives. It's rare to see that point made in any kind of media, no matter which side of the ocean you're on. Felt real cathartic.

It's kind of amusing how they write Diana's reactions. Like, she's a genuine prodigy and really is cool and collected most of the time, but consequently on the few occasions she really does find herself out of her depth she completely loses her composure and flounders. She doesn't make mistakes very often, so she doesn't really know how to deal with it when she messes up or when she's in a situation where her skills don't count for much.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

i hope they treat croix like they treat diana

i have faith in this show :swoon:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Fuckin' scab got what he had comin' if ya ask me. :argh:

poo poo like this is why I like Akko as the protagonist.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

It's kind of amusing how they write Diana's reactions. Like, she's a genuine prodigy and really is cool and collected most of the time, but consequently on the few occasions she really does find herself out of her depth she completely loses her composure and flounders. She doesn't make mistakes very often, so she doesn't really know how to deal with it when she messes up or when she's in a situation where her skills don't count for much.

Hey, that's a good point! It kind of illustrates really well how she's still pretty much a kid too -- that's the same kind of reaction that sheltered prodigies tend to have.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Maybe Croix really, really wanted that lab

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

paragon1 posted:

I liked the principle being proud of Akko's quick progress when they were at the negotiating table.

They were just both so happy with how Akko was succeeding at something.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I mean come on they could all get along. I think some traditions should be broken to give way to progress personally, so that magitech thingamabob could help with magic shortages considering it's a real problem at Luna Nova. I don't like the idea of Croix being a villain, but let's see what comes out of it.

Andrew can still go gently caress himself though.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Somehow I'm not surprised Akko got manipulated into joining the dark side.

Time for Chariot to find a new disciple, she should pick Amanda this time.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Darox posted:

Somehow I'm not surprised Akko got manipulated into joining the dark side.

Time for Chariot to find a new disciple, she should pick Amanda this time.

If Shiny Chariot gave up that easily, she'd probably have picked Amanda to begin with :v:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

paragon1 posted:

also, why couldn't the witches have cut back on their magic some to feed he faeries? they're all p wasteful with it, to the point i was assuming being next to the philosopher's stone meant you had a near infinite source

i would never have expected they were near overutilizing the drat thing already

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Condiv posted:

also, why couldn't the witches have cut back on their magic some to feed he faeries? they're all p wasteful with it, to the point i was assuming being next to the philosopher's stone meant you had a near infinite source

i would never have expected they were near overutilizing the drat thing already

The way it works is basically as a continuously flowing water fountain connected to a pipe or some other water source. Witch and Faeries basically collect it as needed as it emanates out with the rest essentially splashing onto the ground or evaporating out. Croix is basically proposing collecting what would otherwise be wasted and storing it. Of course, this ignores the possibility that said "waste" actually helps the surrounding environment and helps it grow as opposed to uselessly flowing out.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Only took 12 episodes but the show's actually doing something with the plot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Me, I'm just counting down the episodes until Croix and Constanze start smacking the crap out of each other with giant magitech robots.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So according to interviews with Yoshinari, LWA is an allegory for the Japanese animation industry, and he was worried that he made it 'too obvious' with the introduction of Croix. Huh.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh I can see that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

So according to interviews with Yoshinari, LWA is an allegory for the Japanese animation industry, and he was worried that he made it 'too obvious' with the introduction of Croix. Huh.

Hmm, do you have a link? Sounds interesting to read!

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
I liked the music they played for Croix. Nice touch on it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Croix is CGI.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Hmm, do you have a link? Sounds interesting to read!

I read the stuff about Croix second-hand on another forum, but the animation metaphor seems legit - Yoshinari mentioned it all the way back in the commentary for the first OVA.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh I can see that.

Same, now it makes all the different animation styles in Lucy's dream more interesting.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Raenir Salazar posted:

Same, now it makes all the different animation styles in Lucy's dream more interesting.

There are layers and layers of references to the animation industry in this show.

For example, (William) Hanna and (Joseph) Barbera were an animation director duo who made Tom & Jerry, the Flintstones, and many other iconic series. I personally suspect that Diana is a reference to Disney: prestigious, seemingly perfect, and good at lawyering.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sincx posted:

There are layers and layers of references to the animation industry in this show.

For example, (William) Hanna and (Joseph) Barbera were an animation director duo who made Tom & Jerry, the Flintstones, and many other iconic series. I personally suspect that Diana is a reference to Disney: prestigious, seemingly perfect, and good at lawyering.

I suspect that despite the name-jokes, the actual character/personality references are much closer to home. Luna Nova is a Japanese animation studio as envisaged by the Trigger team - hidebound, decaying, and nepotistic, with more interest in rote learning of ancient techniques than in innovation, let alone flair and creativity. Diana is the favoured daughter from a good family who can work within the system, but it's still eating away at her soul.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh I can see that.

its awesome! i wonder what the conclusion will be?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

"Congratulations!" on a still screen.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

An embrace of both the new and the old together for the purpose, not of mere tradition or money, but for the continued inspiration and wonder that witches bestowed so long ago.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Or the rich guy buys them out and they all spend the rest of their lives performing whatever tricks his marketing research says will move the most product.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I look forward to the inevitable LWA-Shirobako crossover.

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

I really liked the scene of Akko getting in Diana's face at the protest. I can just imagine any other show using that confrontation as an excuse to undo the climax of the previous episdoe and keep her as a boring snooty richgirl character for another 8 episodes, so having Akko be all "yo actually gently caress you" was pretty great

They do that a lot with Diana, it's a small detail but one I really appreciate :3: Keeps her interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Croix is CGI.

Croix's master plan in action.

• Locked thread