Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

OwlFancier posted:

I was thinking a nice addition would be to be able to paint on where you want your borders to go and the game flood fills them based on how much push you have, sometimes I want to claim specific systems but don't care about others.

A mandate that will make border intrusion stronger on hyperlanes, but shorter overall would be a good compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
So I was playing a game around the galactic core and absolutely can't see hyperlanes or read text. Is there a mod to fix this? I remember there was a mod for thicker/brighter lanes but no amount of googling is uncovering it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I picked up the plants pack at the same time as utopia and I cannot stop using the venus flytrap dudes.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Anyone know how to deal with having an army unit stuck in limbo? Clicking on it does absolutely nothing.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

hope and vaseline posted:

Anyone know how to deal with having an army unit stuck in limbo? Clicking on it does absolutely nothing.

I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for in this screenshot. By "clicking on it does absolutely nothing", do you mean that you can't select the unit from either the menu or the map? Is the bugged unit the inactive single one on the right hand side?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That happened to me too. I clicked embark all, all 12 things embarked, appeared on the sidebar, but never showed up in space :rip:

1.5.1 beta. Tried restarting the game and that didn't help either, then I promptly forgot about it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for in this screenshot. By "clicking on it does absolutely nothing", do you mean that you can't select the unit from either the menu or the map? Is the bugged unit the inactive single one on the right hand side?

Yeah, the bugged unit on the right that says shows the army resting, but with no location.

Truga posted:

That happened to me too. I clicked embark all, all 12 things embarked, appeared on the sidebar, but never showed up in space :rip:

1.5.1 beta. Tried restarting the game and that didn't help either, then I promptly forgot about it.

Dammit. I just... want it gone, I don't mind losing the unit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Are there any console commands to add/remove traits from a planet?
Wanting to get into mods a tiny bit, wanted to try to add some more planet traits. Also was thinking of having traits you could add to a planet by buying them, sort of planetary upgrades.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 10, 2017

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

I was thinking a nice addition would be to be able to paint on where you want your borders to go and the game flood fills them based on how much push you have, sometimes I want to claim specific systems but don't care about others.

Oh that would be cool. Yeah as it is now it's a bit of a pain in the rear end how other empires can steal your mining stations out from under you just by building​ a frontier outpost or adding a pop to a nearby planet. Being able to set your own borders would be great.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah, I would really like to be able to upgrade frontier outposts. Obviously they had something in mind at one point, because there's an unreachable "frontier beacon" part that shows up in the debris field after you blow an outpost up.

I usually protect my critical outposts with a defense station or two, but it'd be nice to have a beacon in something slightly more robust than an aluminum balloon.

Honestly, I think the best way to handle Frontier Outposts would've been to make them upgrade-able into Habitats. They go from being a frontier outpost to a frontier town, neh? Change them from instead of going over a star, they go over an uninhabitable planet, etc.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what

Tigey posted:

Heh I used the Stimpire as my 'testing how race modding works' dummy race

My pain receptors are ready.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'm so bad at playing my fanatical purifiers :ohdear: No matter how much I feel like I'm ahead in tech or fleet power & size I'm always at a disadvantage to the AI I'm attacking. It'll say I'm superior in the diplomatic menu but when my fleet turns up they have twice the amount of ships and if mine gets destroyed it's pretty much game over because you can't rebuild in time unless you have thousands of minerals stored up.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
No matter who I play I seem to get the same result, played one race a few times and got killed by my premade fanatic purifiers 3 times. Then decided to make some tech focused birds to try and get ahead in weapons instead of numbers, then got killed by my former race from the previous game.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So a question on fleet/weapon composition: how do you figure out what to do? I've got level 4 kinetic weapons, the void cloud lightning and the level 1 plasma thrower and I'm still getting out-classed fleet-wise by similar sized empires next to me. I just unlocked battleships so I have all the flee techs but I keep on losing. Is there a set ratio of battleships:cruisers:destroyers:corvettes you should aim for?

Also is there any reliable way to raise the fleet cap other than building spaceports? I'm at 110/85 right now and I'm still about 2.5k short of my rival's fleet size and I have no idea what to do because I can't sustain the 40ish energy credit deficit. Do spaceport upgrades do anything? I've been avoiding using them because all they seem to do is give slots and I only need 2 spaceports to be actively building things.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

axeil posted:

Also is there any reliable way to raise the fleet cap other than building spaceports? I'm at 110/85 right now and I'm still about 2.5k short of my rival's fleet size and I have no idea what to do because I can't sustain the 40ish energy credit deficit. Do spaceport upgrades do anything? I've been avoiding using them because all they seem to do is give slots and I only need 2 spaceports to be actively building things.

Things that increase fleet cap:

1. Building spaceports. Each spaceport level gives more naval capacity, from +2 at level 1 to +15 at level 6 (so upgrading from 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6 is better than building a new spaceport). In particular remember you can upgrade spaceports in your sectors.

2. Population (1/4 per pop).

3. Technologies (up to 50%).

4. Ruler traits (look for "fleet organizer").

5. Civics (Citizen Service, available to Democratic / Oligarchic and Militarist empires, or Subspace Ephapse for hive minds).

6. Edicts (The Grand Fleet, Masters Teachings: Warring States).

Building spaceports and looking for a fleet organizer ruler are the only ones you can really push on your own, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ulmont posted:

1. Building spaceports. Each spaceport level gives more naval capacity, from +2 at level 1 to +15 at level 6 (so upgrading from 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6 is better than building a new spaceport). In particular remember you can upgrade spaceports in your sectors.

2. Population (1/4 per pop).

3. Technologies (up to 50%).

4. Ruler traits (look for "fleet organizer").

5. Civics (Citizen Service, available to Democratic / Oligarchic and Militarist empires, or Subspace Ephapse for hive minds).

6. Edicts (The Grand Fleet, Masters Teachings: Warring States).

Building spaceports and looking for a fleet organizer ruler are the only ones you can really push on your own, though.

7. Building lots of power plants and ignoring the fleet cap.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Upgrading your space port increases your fleet cap. You should also design your fleets around what you're facing; if your opponents are heavy shield, go kinetic, if heavy armour, go plasma. If neither, go plasma.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
You can manage the energy deficit somewhat by assigning your most forward system as the rally point and setting their spaceport up with both crew quarters and engineering bays. The best way to handle it, though, is to take that big ol' blob and slam them against a target while you spool up a second fleet.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
is it still the case that + hull damage >>> + shield damage because the former makes your ships focus fire properly?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

BenRGamer posted:

Y'know, someone made Space Byzantine's before the patch

And I reposted them for the new mod. You will never be without Space Byzantines.

(they are REALLY good at a Shroud Psi run, I can confirm this weekend)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Whats the big difference between auto cannon and mass drivers?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Demiurge4 posted:

Auto cannnons are better and shooting little ships, mass drivers have longer range. I have no idea when it's correct or optimal to use either. If the enemy is still using a lot of smaller ships in their fleets I'll often toss some sort of autocannon in on a designer to cover that base, but with pretty much no useful combat feedback I have no idea if that's a good strategy or not.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ulmont posted:

:stare: Spaceport upgrades give fleet cap? I am so dumb...

Thanks for this info! It's really helpful. Any tips on how to make my navy in terms of weapon systems/fleet ratios?

I got tag-teamed by my two rivals with a fleet size of 4.5k (mine was 4.3k) and 7.5k and peaced out really quickly because there was no way I could win. Had to scrap all my frontier outposts and give a system freedom. Now I'm boxed in by the two of them as they built frontier outposts where mine used to be and they've got guarantees on the newly freed planet. It's exactly what I would've done as the player so good on the AI for mimicking the player.

Aethernet posted:

Upgrading your space port increases your fleet cap. You should also design your fleets around what you're facing; if your opponents are heavy shield, go kinetic, if heavy armour, go plasma. If neither, go plasma.

Is plasma the same thing as lasers? I've got blue lasers and the level 4 kinetic driver so I've been sticking with the kinetic driver because level 4>level 2, right?

I also try and look at the average DPS but I'm getting the sense it's a misleading number.

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 10, 2017

xXWehrabooXx
Mar 11, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

Autocannons have better tracking and slightly higher straight DPS but a lot less range. I generally use them as a last line of defense against corvettes.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Man, Xenophobic Fallen Empires are the worst, got them as a neighbor for one of my starts and every time I've tried to colonize one of my starting planets they'd make me stop or else they'd invade me because I was encroaching on their territory, and you course I just told them to buzz off. It was my fastest start to lose session yet. :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

OwlFancier posted:

There's a tool for nabbing specific systems, it's called a "frontier outpost".

The ability to specifically not claim certain stars would be nice as a way of reducing border friction, especially when you're fortunate enough to start right next to a xenophobic fallen empire. No idea how you'd handle it, maybe via a sector-style overlay that lets you select stars you don't want to claim? Even better if this makes the border push harder on other areas.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 10, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Just noticed this in the workshop:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902526212

A few of his mods were in the last goonpack, and that seems pretty cool, but haven't got the chance to see the portraits in action.

Dogkisser, it looks like he may be doing custom skeletons for them, though? Maybe a lead to pursue.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So far the only real bug I've had is that either you can suppress a faction away and then not be able to stop suppressing them, or something in the "turn into robots" bit blew up some factions I was suppressing. Either way I'm spending 2 influence per month to suppress two factions that aren't in my empire anymore and I can't find any way to stop.

Also small bug, when you do the "flesh is weak" special project it'll convert curator scientists to cyborgs, which I think is unintended since the project to go full synth doesn't effect them at all.

Sultan Tarquin: hover over where it says superior and it'll break down by fleet strength, naval cap, and tech. Tech gives a smaller advantage compared to a lot of other 4x games, so if your overall rating is better because of that it can be a dicey fight. Also check for defensive alliances, or in the war declaration screen check the bottom for a list of who will be in the war.

Early game/setup tips I've found. Focus your civics on early game stuff if possible, because you can change your civics later on for 250 influence (in the f1 tab). Generally aim for staying energy neutral while you build up as much mineral production as you can. Research spots are a pretty big increase though, so grabbing those are a good call. If you're energy positive don't build energy mining stations but let your mineral bank build while you wait to find more mineral asteroids. Improved mines are pretty bad early on, but improved energy generators are good. Orbital solar panels are good as well.

First traditions should probably be expansion or prosperity. If you take prosperity, private colony ship, and then unlock expansion you'll have a decent start. Unlocking prosperity reduces the cost of mining stations to 60 minerals which is a huge change, private colony ship lets you spend energy on a colony saving you those minerals, and unlocking expansion makes your colony start with 2 pop instead of 1.

Also to the fleet cap question, there in ascenion perk for +200 fleet cap in addition to the other options.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Back Hack posted:

Man, Xenophobic Fallen Empires are the worst, got them as a neighbor for one of my starts and every time I've tried to colonize one of my starting planets they'd make me stop or else they'd invade me because I was encroaching on their territory, and you course I just told them to buzz off. It was my fastest start to lose session yet. :v:

Yeah I just restart when I start right next to a xenophobic FE.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

GlyphGryph posted:

Just noticed this in the workshop:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902526212

A few of his mods were in the last goonpack, and that seems pretty cool, but haven't got the chance to see the portraits in action.

Dogkisser, it looks like he may be doing custom skeletons for them, though? Maybe a lead to pursue.

No, while Silfae IS totally awesome, that's using the Swarm portait, same as my ball drones - from following other stuff they've done, they've mentioned they can't make heads or tails of the animations either!

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Baronjutter posted:

Are there any console commands to add/remove traits from a planet?
Wanting to get into mods a tiny bit, wanted to try to add some more planet traits. Also was thinking of having traits you could add to a planet by buying them, sort of planetary upgrades.

As far as I know there aren't any console commands for that, no.

Here's a small part of the code from the mod I'm working on, to get an idea for how to add planet modifiers through events. This is the event that triggers when the project is finally completed.

This changes the planet's class to "Urban World", removes the planet modifier "Urbanization Project", gives the planet the "Urban World" planet modifier, and automatically demolishes the "Urbanization Institute" building.

code:
planet_event = {
	id = urbanization.100
	title = "urbanization.100.name"
	desc = "urbanization.100.desc"
	picture = GFX_evt_urban
	#show_sound = **unfinished**
	location = ROOT

is_triggered_only = yes

option = {
		name = urbanization.100.a
		change_pc = pc_urban
		add_modifier = {
			modifier = "pm_urban_world"
			days = -1
		}

hidden_effect = {
			random_tile = {
				limit = {
					has_building = "building_urbanization"
				}
				remove_building = yes
			}
			remove_modifier = "pm_urbanization_project"
		}
	}
}
The part you're specifically looking for is the "add_modifier" part

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

I've managed to hit a bug where my primary ethos has 0% attraction, despite having the trader resource and like 6 positive attractors and no negatives. I'm guessing it's something dumb like integer overflow somehow.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dog Kisser posted:

No, while Silfae IS totally awesome, that's using the Swarm portait, same as my ball drones - from following other stuff they've done, they've mentioned they can't make heads or tails of the animations either!

drat! I hadn't recognized what it was using as a base so was hoping they'd managed to crack the code.

Wiz, reveal the secrets for creating and editing skeletons unto us, please!

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

VirtualStranger posted:

holy poo poo it actually loving works now.

It took me loving forever to figure out how to script these drat events.

That looks a lot like my Geoengineering mod. ;) Which btw, I hope you cribbed code from, because that would have saved you a ton of time on the scripting, and I have no problem with people copying code as long as they just aren't outright copying and re-releasing the mod.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

axeil posted:

Thanks for this info! It's really helpful. Any tips on how to make my navy in terms of weapon systems/fleet ratios?

I am incredibly lazy so I build my navy in a straight ratio of 0:0:1:0 (that is to say, all cruisers). That does let me ensure I get the discounts for standardized plans on all my ships, though. So I build corvettes until I get destroyers, then destroyers until I get cruisers, and then all cruisers. I don't scrap the smaller ones though - they hang around until they get killed inevitably.

On weapon systems, I prefer all kinetics, but it really isn't that big a deal single player in my experience (other than no missiles, although I need to recheck that post Utopia).

axeil posted:

Is plasma the same thing as lasers? I've got blue lasers and the level 4 kinetic driver so I've been sticking with the kinetic driver because level 4>level 2, right?

Plasma and Lasers are both energy weapons, but that's it.

Lasers go Red -> Blue -> UV -> X-Ray -> Gamma.
Plasma goes Plasma Thrower -> Plasma Accelerator -> Plasma Cannon. Both have negatives to shield damage and bonuses to armor penetration.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You know, I really don't like the Hive Mind purge mechanics.

They just seem kind of... silly. Instead of Hive Mind pops becoming auto-purged they should really just create their own unsuppressable single block hive-mind only faction that causes lots of trouble unless you are friendly with the parent hive mind empire and do what they want and stuff. So much interesting gameplay could come out of something like that! A hive mind that intentionally spreads itself across the galaxy and "infiltrates" it's way, via migration, into other Empires and thus applies internal pressures to play nice with the Hive Mind.

I hope it's changed later and the current implementation was mostly a "this is what we have time for right now" sort of thing.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

KingLemming posted:

That looks a lot like my Geoengineering mod. ;) Which btw, I hope you cribbed code from, because that would have saved you a ton of time on the scripting, and I have no problem with people copying code as long as they just aren't outright copying and re-releasing the mod.

I did actually stare at the code from your mod on my screen for hours trying to figure out how it worked, but I wouldn't say I copied it wholesale. There were only a couple sections that I actually needed. The basic code structure is probably very similar to yours, since that is what I was basing it off of.

Specifically, the parts of your mod involving Gaia World terraforming were very useful.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

VirtualStranger posted:

Here's a small part of the code from the mod I'm working on, to get an idea for how to add planet modifiers through events. This is the event that triggers when the project is finally completed.
This changes the planet's class to "Urban World", removes the planet modifier "Urbanization Project", gives the planet the "Urban World" planet modifier, and automatically demolishes the "Urbanization Institute" building.

Thanks, also your mod looks cool and is akin to the sort of projects I wanted to do. What does an urban world do?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

Also don't go full synth if there is a holy fallen empire unless you're ready for a war. Then don't accept them demanding you grovel, because the fuckers are just going to declare war 2 days later anyways.

I went full synth, and the Holy Guardians immediately popped up with a huge spiel about how we'd committed mass suicide, blah blah blah.

Few decades passed, nothing. They're still dismissive. Just -40 from "Soulless Machines".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Cool diplomacy request: I'd like to be able to ask someone to close their borders to another empire. If I could isolate people from some of their allies by getting third parties to just say "you can't come through" it'd be really handy.

Edit: weird on your relations numbers. Mine for the holy guardians are -40 for materialistic fools and -60 for soulless machines.

• Locked thread