Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

update: at the job I was on my way out, they just fired the entire ops team. our bus factor is now -1, nobody knows how our production environment works, and they guys they fired told the CEO i could figure it out

do i ask for a 30% or 50% raise?

lol real question here is why did they fire an entire team

1) why did they actually do that and 2) why did they claim they did that

also lmao

FrozenVent posted:

so the fabled six and a half figgie is 316k?

people who are bad at math use 'six and a half' figgies to mean they make 150k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ratbert90 posted:

If you don't quit and go to a new job every 3 - 5 years for a 50% bump in pay, you are doing it wrong in today's world.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

FrozenVent posted:

six and a half figgies is a state of mind. p dece one, if you will

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah its boned if they expect one dude to take over for a whole team

tbf ops is barely an actual team

-someone who works on an ops team

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

i always assumed this was what it meant but that it being wrong is part of the joke

in retrospect i am probably giving yospos too much credit

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah its boned if they expect one dude to take over for a whole team

they're hiring to replace and also we're going to pay google professional services or a consulting company they recommended millions of dollars in the interim until we have re-hired people

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

was the dev-ops team that bad?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Wednesday: show up and do skills test, wow them
Thursday: Skype interview where they asked me about figgies
Friday: we're sorry your experience is not in line with our requirements

aaaaaaaaaa I need a jooooooob

don't talk about saladry until you get an offer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Twerk from Home posted:

update: at the job I was on my way out, they just fired the entire ops team. our bus factor is now -1, nobody knows how our production environment works, and they guys they fired told the CEO i could figure it out

do i ask for a 30% or 50% raise?

let's start at retention bonus to be paid immediately. maybe around 25% of your pay. and then hazard pay until whatever it is plan as a backup comes online and you can work normal hours again. maybe double your pay rate. then 50% raise after that.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

dragon enthusiast posted:

don't talk about saladry until you get an offer

ugh I fricked it

well I applied for 7 jobs on indeed this morning and slept all day other than that thanks sadbrains

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

HoboMan posted:

i got a "you are really killin' it" review so i asked for a 25% raise and got it :sun:

although i was told that "normally the maximum raise we can give out is 5%, i had to go get approval from the cfo" which has me concerned

echoing things people have already said, but the 25% raise is good, but the fact that they had to work for it, and your name got tossed around, to make it happen is gold

good work man! :tipshat:

you loving capitalist pig

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Elysiume posted:

don't they still give pensions?

the pension is 1% times years of service times average of your highest 3 years of salary

Theres also a real low fee 401K type savings plan

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

yeah and 6.7 is about 500k

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

lol real question here is why did they fire an entire team

1) why did they actually do that and 2) why did they claim they did that

also lmao

probably why they're so poor

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
was the actual salary of the progenitor of "six and a half figgies" ever determined

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

raminasi posted:

was the actual salary of the progenitor of "six and a half figgies" ever determined

yeah he meant 150k

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
protip you can imply to recruiters that you are considering jobs in their new york office as a megatrump card when they pressure you for salary history

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I should apply to the share z0ne, I hear the benefits are killer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
oh hey, a rejection letter from a company I interviewed with three weeks ago. I pretty much figured out that they weren't hiring me by the three weeks of silence.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Bleh, I got one too this morning. After they had me submit two homework assignments to them. Free practice I guess.

I had what felt like to me, a pretty good technical phone screen on Friday, see if he gets back to me this week.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
applied for a non-vendor it spot at a university and they called me back in 48 hours. that's gotta be a good sign, right?

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 10, 2017

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016

PierreTheMime posted:

applied for a non-vendor it spot at a university and they called me back in 48 hours. that's gotta be a good sign, right?

either good sign, or the position is so terrible they throw themselves at each candidate.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

double ohm seven posted:

either good sign, or the position is so terrible they throw themselves at each candidate.

i was considering this as well

its a major place in nyc, so it sounds promising, but there's a lot of logistics involved in living there with a family in a place larger than 400sqft. the wife isn't certain we'd want to do it, but it would be a pretty nice upgrade and change of location (god get me out of florida)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I have an interview with the CEO of a software company using his personal email so I guess that's a good sign

unfortunately it's for a senior position I applied to on a lark

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
I just got my rear end kicked by a Trie solution for a Senior position.

Highly recommended, would get my rear end kicked again.

Seriously, it was good practice.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Rudest Buddhist posted:

I just got my rear end kicked by a Trie solution for a Senior position.

Highly recommended, would get my rear end kicked again.

Seriously, it was good practice.

always good to feel like you learned something.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
in my biannual review an hour ago i just got basically told that im tracked for director level, i just started here as a program manager 5 months ago and i still feel ineffective as poo poo

but that's not what other people say soo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sniep posted:

in my biannual review an hour ago i just got basically told that im tracked for director level, i just started here as a program manager 5 months ago and i still feel ineffective as poo poo

but that's not what other people say soo

people frequently forget the other side of dunning kruger, which is that competent people underestimate their own abilities.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

The Management posted:

people frequently forget the other side of dunning kruger, which is that competent people underestimate their own abilities.

yep

i was sitting in a meeting once when someone turned to me and said "well, frozenvent here happens to be the national expert on this issue (...)" and I realized that a) people in position of authority thought I was the expert, i was the expert and b) I had no loving clue, so it's safe to assume no one else at the table did either and c) this may very well apply to a lot of experts

impostor syndrome is a hell of a thing

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

The Management posted:

ya dude i fight that every day

it's hard as hell to come out of ops where i got beat up for working less than 12 hours a day, to being in a leadership role where i'm outside of the operational churn day to day

it's wild, cuz i feel like im not getting anything done, since im not nose to the grindstone all day every day

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

hello fellow nerds didnt read the thread but after 3 lackluster interviews i just got a job at a place that uses things like source control and technology newer than classic asp and i couldnt be drunker or happier praise stallman

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

semon demon posted:

hello fellow nerds didnt read the thread but after 3 lackluster interviews i just got a job at a place that uses things like source control and technology newer than classic asp and i couldnt be drunker or happier praise stallman

hallegnujah

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

semon demon posted:

goongratulations

my start date got pushed out a week because they don't have a computer for me yet

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

semon demon posted:

the cool thing about working for a competent shop is that it's just that much more frustrating when you eventually land back in an incompetent one

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

semon demon posted:

congrats, asp sucks, drinkin 4 u

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sniep posted:

ya dude i fight that every day

it's hard as hell to come out of ops where i got beat up for working less than 12 hours a day, to being in a leadership role where i'm outside of the operational churn day to day

it's wild, cuz i feel like im not getting anything done, since im not nose to the grindstone all day every day

same. do coworkers around you always seem to be busy with stuff and u dont know what they could possibly be working on so much, too?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
what

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

yeah if you're a smart person who gives a gently caress and can get poo poo done you're ahead of 90% of the population

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Our bizarre promotion process has the following features

1) I apply for promotion with a self eval and peer feedback
2) A committee decides on it
3) They give that decision to my manager, who can choose whether or not to appeal it
4) Two weeks pass while my manager is not allowed to tell me what the current status is
5) Once possible appeals are done then I hear the final news

This basically forces us into this awkward situation where I have to communicate that, should I happen to need an appeal, here are some things that I think happen to support my case that weren't in my initial self assessment, but maybe I don't need an appeal...

• Locked thread