Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Maybe he'll answer "human on my mother's side". Who knows.

He already toyed with it considerably with The Hybrid story arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Kilo147 posted:

Well, I'm worried now. Moffat is claiming "Brain melting revelations" this season. That can't be good.

Hasn't he said something like that every season? I wouldn't worry too much.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hemingway To Go! posted:

This is the last time he can do something like that. Things might get unrestrained even for him.

Maybe he'll try to cover the Valeyard, since he managed to do the "last regeneration" story. Maybe he'll answer "human on my mother's side". Who knows.

"Won't you even show mercy to your own..."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Maybe he's going to explain CGI snake and that's the other returning Master I meant. After all, we did just meet a servant of the Master who turns into a bunch of snakes.....

It's not this.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Colony Sarff? That thing was a servant of Davros.

Now I wish the Master had a CGI snake pet.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Colony Sarff? That thing was a servant of Davros.

Now I wish the Master had a CGI snake pet.

Oh yeah. He was poo poo either way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I don't need mind-bending revelations about the Doctor, I just want to watch him have adventures.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really quite sick of learning things about the Doctor.

Can we just have him on adventures saving the world please?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
It turns out The Doctor was a horse all along.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

We haven't learned anything about him since he regenerated, what the hell are you all talking about?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We've learned whether he's a good man or not! (the question is irrelevant he's just a mad man in a box)

We've learned whether he's the Hybrid or not! (the Hybrid is irrelevant)

so technically you're right but that doesn't discount how the seasons have been structured.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
To be fair, we learned that when he was Hartnell he snuck into the Time Lord archives and got freaked out by what he found there, which is why he left Gallifrey, and it was all but stated his son was president at the time.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BSam posted:

"No sir, all thirteen!"

*HISSSSS*

I now want this more than Mondasian Cybermen :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If some writer puts in a scene where the Doctor is forced to view a bunch of images and he mages a yuck face at a CGI snake image, I will be supremely happy.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

Probably something about how the current rumored Doctor is Richard Ranki.

Dude in that Twitter account sounds like a piece of work. Lots of whining about diversity and a weird fixation on BBC execs.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

2house2fly posted:

To be fair, we learned that when he was Hartnell he snuck into the Time Lord archives and got freaked out by what he found there, which is why he left Gallifrey, and it was all but stated his son was president at the time.

I realize that Monday enjoys the challenge of filling out the Doctor's backstory because it's seen as difficult to do so without some contradiction in some old episode, (and it's really not because previous writers deliberately kept it so vague so it wouldn't be), but "who are the Doctor's children?" is a far more interesting path than "who are the Doctor's parents and is one of them a human oh god that might get weird."

We already knew the Doctor had a granddaughter, so the question has sort of lingered out there for ages.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The Doctor is his own grandfather.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The Doctor is his own grandfather.

Susan is The Doctor??

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yes. Hartnell is just the first Doctor, before that, he was just a boy named Sue.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

remusclaw posted:

Yes. Hartnell is just the first Doctor, before that, he was just a boy named Sue.

I want to hate you for this. But I cant.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

remusclaw posted:

Nice.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Doom Mathematic posted:

Susan is The Doctor??

The female version of the Doctor was with us all along.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
1 - The Pilot (Written by Steven Moffat and Directed by Lawrence Gough)

"What's the one thing you never see when you look at your reflection?"

Meet Bill Potts. She works at St Luke's University, serving chips to students, and nothing ever, ever happens. Then, one day, she finds there's another world beneath the one she knows. A familiar face in a pool of water, and a love that is over before it can begin, will change her life for ever - because this is the day Bill meets the Doctor.

2 - Smile (Written by Frank Cottrell-Boyce and Directed by Lawrence Gough; Guest Star: Ralph Little)

"Between here and my office, before the kettle boils, is everything that ever happened, or ever will. Make your choice."

In the far future, at the edge of the galaxy, there is a gleaming, perfect city. This brand-new human settlement is said to hold the secret of human happiness - but the only smiles the Doctor and Bill can find are on a pile of grinning skulls. Something is alive in the walls, and the Emojibots are watching from the shadows, as the Doctor and Bill try to unravel a terrifying mystery...

3 - Thin Ice (Written by Sarah Dollard and Directed by Bill Anderson)

"So the Tardis has dresses and likes a bit of trouble? I think I'm low-key in love with her."

In Regency England, beneath the Frozen Tames, something is stirring. The Doctor and Bill arrive at the last of the great frost fairs and find themselves investigating a string of impossible disappearances - people have been vanishing on the ice! Bill is about to discover that the past is more like her world than she expected, and that not all monsters come from outer space.

4 - Knock Knock (Written by Mike Bartlett and DIrected by Bill Anderson; Guest Star: David Suchet)

"Did you hear the trees creaking outside when we arrived?"
"Yeah. It was the wind."
"There wasn't any wind."

Bill is moving in with some friends and they've found the perfect house! So what if it's strangely cheap to rent, and the landlord is a little creepy? The wind blows, the floorboards creak and the Doctor thinks something is very wrong. What lurks in the strange tower at the heart of the building - and why can't they find any way to enter it...?

5 - Oxygen (Written by Jamie Mathieson and Directed by Charles Palmer)

"You only see the true face of the universe when it's asking you for help."

The Doctor, Bill and Nardole answer a distress call in deep space, and find themselves trapped on board space station Chasm Forge. All but four of the crew have been murdered - and the dead are still walking! In a future where oxygen is sold by the breath, and space suits are valued more highly than their occupants, the Tardis crew battle for survival against the darkest evil of all.

6 - Extremis (Written by Steven Moffat and Directed by Daniel Nettheim; Guest Star: Michelle Gomez)

"They read The Veritas - and chose hell."

In the Haereticum (the Vatican's secret library of blasphemy) there is an ancient book known only as The Veritas. Throughout history, anyone who has ever read it has immediately taken their own life. Now a new translation is online, and the danger is spreading. The Vatican appeals to the Doctor. Will he read The Veritas? But can even the Doctor survive the ultimate truth?

7 - The Pyramid at the End of the World (Written by Peter Harness and Steven Moffat and Directed by Daniel Nettheim)

"Fear is inefficient. We must be loved."

A 5,000-year-old pyramid stands at the centre of a war zone, where the Chinese, Russian and American armies are about to clash. There are many problems with that, but the one that intrigues the Doctor is this: there wasn't a pyramid there yesterday. The Doctor, Bill and Nardole face and alien invasion unlike any other - before conquest can begin, these alines need the consent of the human race.

8 - The Lie of the Land (Written by Toby Whithouse and Directed by Wayne Yip)

"I'm sorry, Bill, I really wanted to make you see!"
"Oh my God, this is real. You're really doing this!"

The world is gripped by a mass delusion and only Bill Potts can see the truth. When even the Doctor is fighting on the wrong side, it's up to Bill to convince the Time Lord that humanity is in deadly danger. And if she can't do that, she may just have to kill her best friend.

9 - The Empress of Mars (Written by Mark Gatiss and Directed by Wayne Yip)

"It's a simple choice, Iraxxa. The oldest one in the book. We must live together. Or die together."

The Doctor, Bill and Nardole arrive on Mars and find themselves in an impossible conflict between Ice Warriors... and Victorian soldiers. As the Martian hive awakes around them, the Doctor faces a unique dilemma - this time the humans, not the Ice Warriors are the invaders. When Earth is invading Mars, whose side is he on?

10 - The Eaters of Light (Written by Rona Munro and Directed by Charles Palmer)

"Now you have a choice. You can all keep on slaughtering each other till there's no one left standing, or you can grow the hell up!"

A long time ago, the Roman legion of the ninth vanished into the mists of Scotland. Bill has a theory about what happened, and the Doctor has a time machine. But when they arrive in ancient Aberdeenshire, what they find is a far greater threat than any army. In a cairn, on a hillside, is a doorway leading to the end of the world.

11 - World Enough and Time (Written by Steven Moffat and Directed by Rachel Talalay; Guest Star: Michelle Gomez)

"My name's Doctor Who."

Friendship drives the Doctor into the rashest decision of his life. Trapped on a giant spaceship, caught in the event horizon of a black hole, he witnesses the death of someone he is pledged to protect. Is there any way he can redeem his mistake? Are events already out of control? For once, time is the Time Lord's enemy...

12 - The Doctor Falls (Written by Steven Moffat and Directed by Rachel Talalay; Guest Star: Michelle Gomez)

"Without hope, without witness, without reward."

The Mondasian Cybermen are on the rise. It's time for the Doctor's final battle...

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Oh fun are the army-church people back?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Episode 9 is primed to annoy the hell out of me.

That's not a conflict.

The Doctor does not favor humanity blindly.

If humans are being dickheads, he will stop them. That's just a moronic problem.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well not any many as I expected made me say "for gently caress's sake" but the summary of Harness's fills me with dread.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

Episode 9 is primed to annoy the hell out of me.

That's not a conflict.

The Doctor does not favor humanity blindly.

If humans are being dickheads, he will stop them. That's just a moronic problem.

It's a Gatiss episode, so hopefully it's a bit more nuanced than the synopsis suggests.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Prediction: Smile and Pyramid are going to be extremely clunky and obvious "modern society" allusions. Pyramid in particular has a 100% chance of ending with the Doctor making a speech about the dangers of following a demagogue.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Man, I feel like they all sound like fun adventures.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

So....Gallifrey?? I love me some Moffett. But didn't we spend at least a season setting up a search and rescue for Gallifrey? All that time and effort, the War Doctor, and what.. just nothing.

Dammit. How hard is it to write an arc?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Delzuma posted:

So....Gallifrey?? I love me some Moffett. But didn't we spend at least a season setting up a search and rescue for Gallifrey? All that time and effort, the War Doctor, and what.. just nothing.

He already found it. He found it and left it again to save Clara. That's all forgotten about now. Gallifrey exist, the Doctor knows where, but zero fucks are given.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

So the guy who wrote "In the Forest of the Night" has a new episode with "Emojibots" in it.

Great.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait they let the Forest of the Night guy write another episode?

Why would you

Why would you ever

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Oh christ, I just noticed Pyramid was written by Harness :cripes:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just

Some of these sound like they could be fine

The Gatis episode could just be the result of a lovely synopsis

But they brought back two of the absolute worst writers of the worst episodes of the entire 50+ year history of the shows run

In the same season

At least they only get one episode a piece Jesus Christ

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Delzuma posted:

The arc of the Doctor looking for Gallifrey paid off the only way it ever could, with him finding it, then immediately stealing a Tardis and running away

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

Wait they let the Forest of the Night guy write another episode?

Why would you

Why would you ever

Because he's not just Forest of the Night guy; he's Carnegie MedalTM-winning writer Forest of the Night guy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think one of the dumbest things Moffat has ever said in relation to Who publicly might still be this

"Steven Moffat defended the episode saying it was "beautifully and elegantly written," and added, "I think will grow in stature over the years.""

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So which of the 3 episodes guest starring Michelle Gomez is the multi-Master one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Presumably the final two-parter.

• Locked thread