Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
Do any of you/would it be feasible to have multiple sets of power armor and carry them all around? One for building (lots of robo ports and two reactors, maybe?), one for running really fast, one with shields/lasers for fighting, etc? I made mine a jack of all trades and I've been running out of juice trying to build a lot of stuff at once, so I was curious if I'd be better off making multiple suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I've got a suit with two generators, four roboports, three legs, two MK2 batteries and MK2 shields filling the rest, six of them I think. I haven't had any power issues yet, I'm able to wade into huge biter bases with a flamethrower without much care (it'll be even less once I get destroyer drone production online), and the legs are enough for me since I use rail for transport where it's established and a car for where it's not for the extra storage.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Typically late-game multiplayer I end up with a 8+ roboport suit, a megaspeed travel suit, and a huge shields suit. We die all the time and if you're mass-producing suit and suit equipment anyway to replace losses, why not?

Once the huge-shield suit comes out the deaths stop happening so it's win/win

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I expected to be really frustrated, but I'm finding this water start really fun. It's super relaxing, I can always walk away from it without worrying about biters, and I'm kind of having fun trying to design self sustaining chains that can build up resources indefinitely.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

Typically late-game multiplayer I end up with a 8+ roboport suit, a megaspeed travel suit, and a huge shields suit. We die all the time and if you're mass-producing suit and suit equipment anyway to replace losses, why not?

Once the huge-shield suit comes out the deaths stop happening so it's win/win

Why not play with the gravestone mod?

I've been playing with the factorissimo 2 mod, on my save where I'd already launched a dozen rockets. Slowly converting the old factory buildings to the new ones.
poo poo the buildings are amazing, and the way he made pumps/power are great. I hope he keeps it for .15 after I finish my new vanilla save.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Let's try that again shall we?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816431

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
That's a lot of mods!

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
I haven't played Factorio since a few months after it was first being released to the public, is the campaign worth getting into or are there any quality of life mods worth picking up over vanilla?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Bishop Beo posted:

I haven't played Factorio since a few months after it was first being released to the public, is the campaign worth getting into or are there any quality of life mods worth picking up over vanilla?

That's an odd "Or"

Campaign is entirely optional and serves as a poor tutorial for the game.
There are plenty QoL mods, although which those are is a great question.

Commonly used are:
RSO
Long reach
Gravestones(for multiplayer)

Tho people can probably mention more.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I expected to be really frustrated, but I'm finding this water start really fun. It's super relaxing, I can always walk away from it without worrying about biters, and I'm kind of having fun trying to design self sustaining chains that can build up resources indefinitely.

The sea pack one? As a Factorio themed screen saver yeah it'd probably be fine, definitely no danger of anything bad happening.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DmitriX posted:

Commonly used are:
RSO
Long reach
Gravestones(for multiplayer)

The ones I generally never play without are
RSO
Cheaper rail and concrete
Long Reach
Side Inserters
Afraid of the dark

And the most important one: Honk

I also play with Synthetic Oil because gently caress having plastic always being such a bottleneck.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DmitriX posted:

FARL

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

The ones I generally never play without are
RSO
Cheaper rail and concrete
Long Reach
Side Inserters
Afraid of the dark

And the most important one: Honk

I also play with Synthetic Oil because gently caress having plastic always being such a bottleneck.

Honk is good, makes death by train funnier.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

At some point, we really need to make a list of "goon-approved mods" (or, well, goon-suggested mods) and add it to the OP.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Factorissimo 2 is pretty awesome and allows buildings inside buildings inside buildings inside...

Makes having large sprawling factories more compact for a resource cost, but there's nothing like shoving in raw iron ore one side and getting full steel out the other.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Not sure if I want Factorissimo, because it sounds like extreme cheating.
On the other hand tho...

Speaking of, do we have a discord?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Space is infinite. Think of it like an organizational tool, rather than a straight cheat. The 2.0 version has larger buildings but not a commensurate multiplied space, and the research to unlock infinite regression is expensive as gently caress

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

DelphiAegis posted:

Space is infinite. Think of it like an organizational tool, rather than a straight cheat. The 2.0 version has larger buildings but not a commensurate multiplied space, and the research to unlock infinite regression is expensive as gently caress

It would be interesting to see a physical I/O for furnaces and assembly machines much like how the chemical plants require inputs at certain spots. It wouldn't be terribly efficient in most cases but I could see some uses for space saving.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sunk cost fallacy has hit hard on Factorio for me. I keep wanting to start a factory then thinking '.15 is just around the corner, give it a wait' :smith:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

El Jebus posted:

It would be interesting to see a physical I/O for furnaces and assembly machines much like how the chemical plants require inputs at certain spots. It wouldn't be terribly efficient in most cases but I could see some uses for space saving.

If I could opt to have a physical I/O spot for an assembler at the logistic cost of having to belt feed it, I'd be all about that. High logistics, lower energy since you aren't running an inserter.

The Factorissimo 2 also allows you to do chests that move items instead of belts to alleviate large factory UPS problems. And the fluid handling makes it better to do chemical processing inside a building instead of let the pipes peter out the last 0.1 oil.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DelphiAegis posted:

If I could opt to have a physical I/O spot for an assembler at the logistic cost of having to belt feed it, I'd be all about that. High logistics, lower energy since you aren't running an inserter.
If I understand what you're saying the "extra logistics" is a splitter just upstream and a belt where the inserter would be and you just expand the footprint by the extra unit for the splitter.

Factorio could use some new reasons pushing you to use existing logistics modes or maybe some new ones, but like as sequel/DLC scope at this point. Its just sort of weird that everything sort of collapses into belt driven schemes. Fluids are fluid until they turn into the solid bit and the only point of solids turning liquids is barreling schemes that everybody avoids. Trains are an exotic toy to scratch our aspbergers with by installing RSO. The loginet is an inferior bandaid until you get to late game train station schemes where a scale is finally hit where the sorting they can do despite their speed and electricity disadvantages makes sense.

Its only a problem in that the belt stuff quickly becomes single state, especially as you perfect the art of raw material expansion and the modal interfaces are pretty well solved to turn train batches into constant belt streams and oil into the plastic and lube you want.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

DmitriX posted:

Campaign is entirely optional and serves as a poor tutorial for the game.

Is there a better tutorial out there? The campaign feels like it's teaching bad ideas but I don't know if I can point to what they might be.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jet Jaguar posted:

Is there a better tutorial out there? The campaign feels like it's teaching bad ideas but I don't know if I can point to what they might be.
The campaign is fine for seeing cookie cutter examples of basic ideas like belt segregation because of how it wants you to build on skeletons of common cookie cutter bases but its goals, pacing, and combat are nothing like sandbox.

You get a lot more breathing room in the basic sandbox settings and you can tweak the settings to get even more breathing room and if you are prone to choice paralysis, the manual or random youtubes can help you get on track with what your goals should be at a given moment. So its like there's nothing too wrong with the campaign but there's plenty of room for learning just by experimentation in the sandbox if you have anything resembling a basic understanding of what the basic verbs of the game are.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jet Jaguar posted:

The new version (in ~two weeks) will have dramatically revamped tutorials.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think I figured out what I'm kind of loving about sea pack.

Remember your first crazy factory, with loops and inserters moving everything around in a chaotic mess, where you've got to occasionally hand carry a stack of junk from one part to another because you can't figure out how to belt it there?

That's what I'm getting out of sea pack.

Definitely the kind of thing you have churning while you watch tv shows or something, it's a very slow start.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

zedprime posted:

If I understand what you're saying the "extra logistics" is a splitter just upstream and a belt where the inserter would be and you just expand the footprint by the extra unit for the splitter.

Factorio could use some new reasons pushing you to use existing logistics modes or maybe some new ones, but like as sequel/DLC scope at this point. Its just sort of weird that everything sort of collapses into belt driven schemes. Fluids are fluid until they turn into the solid bit and the only point of solids turning liquids is barreling schemes that everybody avoids. Trains are an exotic toy to scratch our aspbergers with by installing RSO. The loginet is an inferior bandaid until you get to late game train station schemes where a scale is finally hit where the sorting they can do despite their speed and electricity disadvantages makes sense.

Its only a problem in that the belt stuff quickly becomes single state, especially as you perfect the art of raw material expansion and the modal interfaces are pretty well solved to turn train batches into constant belt streams and oil into the plastic and lube you want.

And here we see the huge difference in play styles.

Even in a vanilla game i'm using isolated logistics networks for compact beaconed factories. Before then i'm using them to keep my player supplied and for construction bots to do all the heavy lifting for me. I'm using trains because I want more resources from further away.

Yes you can never leave your immediate start area in the quest for resources and still eek out a rocket but that's now how I play.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

M_Gargantua posted:

And here we see the huge difference in play styles.

Even in a vanilla game i'm using isolated logistics networks for compact beaconed factories. Before then i'm using them to keep my player supplied and for construction bots to do all the heavy lifting for me. I'm using trains because I want more resources from further away.

Yes you can never leave your immediate start area in the quest for resources and still eek out a rocket but that's now how I play.

Same here, I don't want just enough iron to launch a rocket, I want to rest on a throne of millions of iron plates unspent, because there's always another theoretical goal just beyond my reach. If I'm going to strip-mine this alien planet I'm going to get it for all it's worth.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I haven't yet played Sea Pack but I had a dream about it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think I figured out what I'm kind of loving about sea pack.

Remember your first crazy factory, with loops and inserters moving everything around in a chaotic mess, where you've got to occasionally hand carry a stack of junk from one part to another because you can't figure out how to belt it there?

That's what I'm getting out of sea pack.

Definitely the kind of thing you have churning while you watch tv shows or something, it's a very slow start.

What are these big industrial buildings and the water purification plants next to it?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

The water circles(clarifiers) are not actually water treatment plants-they are water voids, meant to dispose of liquids.
The industrial buildings ARE actually water treatment plants and they are most likely purifying water into pure water and saltwater which is used for algae.
So in short - it takes normal water into the industrial building, splits it into pure and salt water, then voids the normal water in clarifiers.
Fun times, that.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Oh, thank you. Sounds a bit...convoluted.

If we don't have a discord I am gonna make one, so more goons can play togethet more often and hopefully make me less crazy for the new patch.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

there is THIS one....
https://discord.gg/AaSUeJs

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Well I finally launched my first rocket yesterday. All my previous attempts have ended with me restarting after being unhappy with the clusterfuck my factory has devolved into. I'm not good at embracing chaos.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Collateral Damage posted:

Well I finally launched my first rocket yesterday. All my previous attempts have ended with me restarting after being unhappy with the clusterfuck my factory has devolved into. I'm not good at embracing chaos.

Once you have reasonably fast robots, there's nothing stopping you from boxing up your entire factory in storage bins and then redeploying it in a more orderly layout. Well, nothing except your dignity, I guess.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Once you have reasonably fast robots, there's nothing stopping you from boxing up your entire factory in storage bins and then redeploying it in a more orderly layout. Well, nothing except your dignity, I guess.

And sanity.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Can someone repost that ratio cheat sheet thing?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

super fart shooter posted:

http://imgur.com/r/factorio/MqCd6

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

super fart shooter posted:

This one?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Both those links are dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
They're the same link and both work. :P