Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
So dumb question, but what's the best way to level gatherers past lv 50, specifically 56+? I got my miner to 56 and I'm doing collectibles, which is slow and painful but at least I'm getting blue scrips out of it. But is there any other way? I don't have any more GC seals so I can't buy those exp boosts :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Do your leves, they're great. You'll also spend your manuals from the job quests well on them.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
If you've got the money, GC provisioning missions are still great XP at +50 levels if not more so. Just make a habit of checking every day whether or not one of the required items is starred meaning double XP (and seals) rewards.

Edit: i.e. Just buy provisions straight outta marketboard. :v:

jyrque fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 10, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah if you're already doing collectibles do the leves. Only do the single ones though, the big ones give less experience than doing the same allowance number of smaller leves if I'm remembering. The post 50 stretch is still frustrating to level through for gathering, especially for Fishing, which felt like its own new circle of Hell.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

SonicRulez posted:

Is there still some goon interest in getting through A9-A12 Savage? I haven't been online outside of the Zurvan farm group for weeks now, but I would like to try my hand at it before Stormblood hits. I realize that we're in a pre-expansion lull, but I figured I would ask. A9S I think remains the only thing in the game that I've tried and never beaten.

I'm in a similar position. Kept telling myself I'd find a static and then never did.

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the tips! Yeah, it felt like leves were giving much but I was doing a mix of single and large ones, so I'll keep doing singles only. I've been doing GC turn ins, sorry I should have mentioned. Oh god I have fishing after this and I am really really not looking forward to it :negative:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Fishing is far easier, due to just being able to buy the leve items.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Do your leves, they're great. You'll also spend your manuals from the job quests well on them.

specifically, look for gatherer leves with one of these two plates. they're the evaluation leves and are worth way more exp than the others

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
For fishing, you just need a Netflix subscription, a second monitor, and a controller with vibration enabled.

I watched the entire run of Silicon Valley going from Fishing level 1-60 and barely had to look at my FFXIV strewn.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
a controller with vibration becomes mandatory for using patience and hooksets because you can either look for the subtle difference in tug and sound or whatever, or you can feel the controller vibrate once or twice and know what to use from that

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Behold: the worst Dun Scaith group ever.

These are two separate wipes on Trash Ultima. The first one was arguably my fault for instapulling, even if only one person got locked out. The next one I waited and did a countdown, so I have no loving clue what was going on. After that we wiped twice on Scathag and three more times on Diabolos. The best part was when a paladingus queued in progress in another alliance and threw a provoke tantrum because I was the MT. Or maybe it was when they started complaining that my countdowns were too long. The whole thing took over 80 minutes, including the minion being held hostage by some rear end in a top hat at the end.

At least I got 6 commendations out of it.

Why wouldn't you let the pld mt? You're a better dps. If they gently caress up and die then just taunt and take over as MT.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

I'm in a similar position. Kept telling myself I'd find a static and then never did.

SonicRulez posted:

Is there still some goon interest in getting through A9-A12 Savage? I haven't been online outside of the Zurvan farm group for weeks now, but I would like to try my hand at it before Stormblood hits. I realize that we're in a pre-expansion lull, but I figured I would ask. A9S I think remains the only thing in the game that I've tried and never beaten.

Are any of you a healer?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Shatter is extra especially unfun as a healer.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Is there any significant goon presence on Diabolos?

Also this game is fun as heck, what have I been doing for the past however many years.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Mordiceius posted:

Shatter is extra especially unfun as a healer.

As a WHM, you get to boot an opposition of the cliff to their death, though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FortMan posted:

As a WHM, you get to boot an opposition of the cliff to their death, though.

Shatter cliffs are kind of lame. Somebody dooted me off one and I landed at the bottom with a good half health left. It was kind of embarrassing for both of us.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Holyshoot posted:

Are any of you a healer?

Nope. I have SMN at 59 and really should give SCH a try, but I don't really care to. And I'm definitely adding Samurai to my list of maxed classes when SB hits anyway, so eh.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

Are any of you a healer?

Hi, I can sch pretty ok, but I'm in europe timezone :rip:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I'm a healer but I'm only ever consistently free on weekends.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

i can warrior it but i'm only ilvl 256? does that cover a12s?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

Why wouldn't you let the pld mt? You're a better dps. If they gently caress up and die then just taunt and take over as MT.

Because he had much lower level gear than me, and the DPS wouldn't change because I almost always tank in deliverance.

Also it's really loving rude to try to provoke off the MT.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I mean, if they die, you should absolutely voke it. That's what he was saying, and its a no brainer.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Holyshoot posted:

It's Fister, what else do you expect?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

I mean, if they die, you should absolutely voke it. That's what he was saying, and its a no brainer.

I meant it's rude for the paladingus to just come in and provoke off me after I pull because he thinks he's a better tank.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I meant it's rude for the paladingus to just come in and provoke off me after I pull because he thinks he's a better tank.

Oh ya for sure. I just prefer to OT in 24man raids so I have the least amount of responsibility possible. If they gently caress up then I'll take over. And you avoid the annoyance of some jack wagon keeping his tank stance on.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Holyshoot posted:

Oh ya for sure. I just prefer to OT in 24man raids so I have the least amount of responsibility possible. If they gently caress up then I'll take over. And you avoid the annoyance of some jack wagon keeping his tank stance on.

But then you look at the dps done as a warrior or drk and you're like 1k ahead of most of the dps and then you want to cry and then you wonder why you even queued tank in the first place....

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Office Surprise Store posted:

specifically, look for gatherer leves with one of these two plates. they're the evaluation leves and are worth way more exp than the others

no idea why these weren't showing up anymore so i rehosted it

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Holyshoot posted:

you and every other tank which means everybody stands around like a dumbass because nobody wants to nut up and main tank until some dastardly bard "accidentally" gets too close with foe's on

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I've had runs of dun scaith where on every single boss the main tank died and I ended up tanking as DPS because neither of the other two tanks realized that they should probably provoke. I don't get why people are so hesitant to main tank. It's hella boring, but it's what you signed up for when you queued as tank.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Main tanking is like, way less work than off tanking. There are so few 24-man bosses with gimmicks the MT has to pay attention to once you position them (and half the time not even that since they all seem to have charge/movement gimmicks now). Off tanks aren't exactly burdened with overwhelming responsibility either, but even just "pick up an add halfway through the fight and turn it so it doesn't cleave everyone" is more work than what MT has to do most of the time.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'll mt like whatever but every time i do there's invariably some pld with a complex who huffs and puffs because even though he didn't want to maintank he's so filled with rage that an actual cool fun class is tanking the boss that he tries to pull it off of me anyway

also pld/drk get better dps while MT (well, drk definitely does, not really sure how shield swipe figures into pld mt dps) so i'll default to letting one of them mt

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

put the bi in bicycle posted:

So dumb question, but what's the best way to level gatherers past lv 50, specifically 56+? I got my miner to 56 and I'm doing collectibles, which is slow and painful but at least I'm getting blue scrips out of it. But is there any other way? I don't have any more GC seals so I can't buy those exp boosts :v:

If you're finding collectible leveling slow and painful then you're doing something wrong. You could probably hit 60 in a few hours from 56 by doing nothing but collectibles, since it's a far better source of exp for gatherers than anything else.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Eopia posted:

If you're finding collectible leveling slow and painful then you're doing something wrong. You could probably hit 60 in a few hours from 56 by doing nothing but collectibles, since it's a far better source of exp for gatherers than anything else.

In this case the most common "something wrong" is "does not have 600gp through gear/food"

It makes such a huge difference in collectible gathering.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm going to go into dun scaith as a tank once and then once stormblood hits I'm gearing up a samurai and only doing alliance raids as dps

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Office Surprise Store posted:

you and every other tank which means everybody stands around like a dumbass because nobody wants to nut up and main tank until some dastardly bard "accidentally" gets too close with foe's on

It's been my experience that one of the other two tanks steps up and does mt. These days I queue as dps because solo tank q is awful for the 24 mans.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i'll mt like whatever but every time i do there's invariably some pld with a complex who huffs and puffs because even though he didn't want to maintank he's so filled with rage that an actual cool fun class is tanking the boss that he tries to pull it off of me anyway

also pld/drk get better dps while MT (well, drk definitely does, not really sure how shield swipe figures into pld mt dps) so i'll default to letting one of them mt

Under ideal circumstances PLD/DRK have better MT DPS than WAR but most pubbies will spend the entire fight in tank stance so it doesn't really matter.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have to queue for tank for the 24man poo poo at this point in the expansion, or I will fall asleep.

Getting hit in the face makes me feel *alive*.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

WrightOfWay posted:

Under ideal circumstances PLD/DRK have better MT DPS than WAR but most pubbies will spend the entire fight in tank stance so it doesn't really matter.

I can't quite wrap my head around this. I'd expect the WAR to be higher due to Unchained pull into Deliverance for the rest of the fight, and then their DPS combo is also their threat combo.

Unless PLD or DRK have overall higher dps in general (could be, I don't know) I can't see how they'd have a dps advantage in a MT role.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I have not had a single Dun Scaith run where things haven't gone to poo poo on Scathach after the add phase. Like, every single time people turn into drooling idiots after that add phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mordiceius posted:

I have not had a single Dun Scaith run where things haven't gone to poo poo on Scathach after the add phase. Like, every single time people turn into drooling idiots after that add phase.

Most of my Scathach runs are great until the second big add comes, and then everyone ignores it until he wipes the raid.

• Locked thread