Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BWV
Feb 24, 2005

James Johnson was this good last year, Casey just hated him for some reason and never let him play. The 30 pounds is a red herring.

Also, the best coaches are Pop, Spo and Ricky C. After that there is a big drop off to guys like Kerr and Stevens. Kerr has only succeeded with one type of team and Stevens has never actually won anything. Not to say they can't join those 3 but they have yet to demonstrate it. I also love Stan Van but I think that has more to do with personality than anything else.
Dwayne Casey is the worst coach because he is too good to get fired, too decent of a man to truly hate, and too limited/scared as an in-game coach to ever give his team a real tactical advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Looks like Embiid may still win Roy tho it will be close

At the AP, yeah.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
i would like to see kerr coach a team w/o multiple top 10 nba players before we call him a good coach just like how everyone was really skeptical of spo before he proved he could win games with dion waiters and rodney mcgruders

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

got some chores tonight posted:

i would like to see kerr coach a team w/o multiple top 10 nba players before we call him a good coach just like how everyone was really skeptical of spo before he proved he could win games with dion waiters and rodney mcgruders

Who was top 10 other than curry before this year

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That teams not good though, they aren't even going to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference.

Oh, you mean the 14-15 Golden State Warriors?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Tae posted:

Who was top 10 other than curry before this year

draymond and klay were all-nba players which is basically practically top 10 when you remove the centers (and dont add in a james harden)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I appreciate that Kerr tries to keep it simple and go with what works. Contrast that guys like Mark Jackson who would try to force feed Harrison Barnes in the post because of "mismatches" or Avery Johnson who felt that he had to get Josh Howard going early

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can't tell if the massive goalposting is worse than thinking klay thompson is a top 10 player

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tae posted:

I can't tell if the massive goalposting is worse than thinking klay thompson is a top 10 player

Klay plays like a top 10 player when he is on, but he is so inconsistent that it is hard to put him in there. There are a lot of games where he barely shows up, then occasionally he'll put up 40 and 75% FG

EDIT: looking at the stats, it might be a home vs away kind of thing. At home, he shoots 7% from the field and 12% better from 3pt

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 10, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

draymond and klay were all-nba players which is basically practically top 10 when you remove the centers (and dont add in a james harden)

Klay and Draymond were not all-NBA players in 14-15.

Missing the playoffs in the East and being worse than the Bulls is proving you can win? I think Spo is a really good coach too, but the only successful seasons he has had was with Lebron, Bosh, and Wade. Your criteria for being a good coach doesn't seem to be very consistent.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Steve Kerr won with Mark Jackson's team. Really Mark should have that ring

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

If you keep winning 65+ games you will inevitably have players make All-NBA. Popovich always had All-NBA players too. Don't get me started on Phil Jackson

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Noah made a goddamn First Team All-NBA.

And Like I love Noah, but he was not the best center in the league in 2014.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Steve Kerr is just the Banana Republic version of Mike D'antoni

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

Noah made a goddamn First Team All-NBA.

And Like I love Noah, but he was not the best center in the league in 2014.

Noah was the best defensive player in the league in 2014 by just about every metric (DPBM, VORP, DWS), he got MVP votes that year, and was the overwhelming favorite for DPOY. The next best center was probably DeAndre Jordan and Noah was much better than DJ all-around.

Like, I get he fell off the cliff but that was a really justified all-NBA pick that year. I think you are letting his fall-off and a bad contract tint just how good he was.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ghost Dog posted:

nope. the defense was installed years before he was there and the offense was alvin gentrys? p. sure that was the dudes name

The defense that Kerr runs is not the same defense that Mark Jackson ran. Jackson emphasized defense in general, but Kerr's defense (developed along with Ron Adams to fit the Warriors' personnel) is not remotely the same.

Jackson ran a traditional "match up with your man, let's hide Steph Curry on the other team's weakest driver, and we channel shots to the middle where out shotblocker hangs out." Kerr's defense is almost the opposite. It is all about endless switching to reduce high percentage shots on the perimeter, even at the cost of offensive rebounds, with calculated forays into the passing lanes. If we make a mistake, Draymond Green will cover it because he is the best help defender anyone has ever seen."

Kerr also created the offense (well, adapted D'Antoni's offense with better efficiency and less point guard ball dominance).

In sum, you are entirely wrong about, well, everything.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

Noah was the best defensive player in the league in 2014 by just about every metric (DPBM, VORP, DWS), he got MVP votes that year, and was the overwhelming favorite for DPOY. The next best center was probably DeAndre Jordan and Noah was much better than DJ all-around.

Like, I get he fell off the cliff but that was a really justified all-NBA pick that year. I think you are letting his fall-off and a bad contract tint just how good he was.

Defensive Player of the year I agree with. But ehh at All NBA.

And I'm a Noah fan and defender.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
All-NBA centres were weak as hell after Howard fell off.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

Defensive Player of the year I agree with. But ehh at All NBA.

And I'm a Noah fan and defender.

If you wanted to make the argument they shouldn't have had a center, then maybe, but even then Noah was probably easily in the top-10 best players that season and probably top 6 or 7 (he was actually 4th in MVP voting). But All-NBA loves having real centers in the list, and the only 2 that were any good that season were Noah and DJ, or like, Al Jefferson.

I mean, I agree, there's been weird people on the All-NBA list but 2014 Noah is not one of them.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Center might be the 2nd deepest position in the league right now after point guard.

Which is crazy considering how lovely centers were there for a while and how much hand-wringing there is about the death of the 5.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

attackmole posted:

Curry's unanimous MVP is a lot less fun if you give it to him right after the Warriors final meltdown instead just after the season ends.

Disagree 1000% lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

predicto posted:

The defense that Kerr runs is not the same defense that Mark Jackson ran. Jackson emphasized defense in general, but Kerr's defense (developed along with Ron Adams to fit the Warriors' personnel) is not remotely the same.

Jackson ran a traditional "match up with your man, let's hide Steph Curry on the other team's weakest driver, and we channel shots to the middle where out shotblocker hangs out." Kerr's defense is almost the opposite. It is all about endless switching to reduce high percentage shots on the perimeter, even at the cost of offensive rebounds, with calculated forays into the passing lanes. If we make a mistake, Draymond Green will cover it because he is the best help defender anyone has ever seen."

Kerr also created the offense (well, adapted D'Antoni's offense with better efficiency and less point guard ball dominance).

lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I like how his defense of Kerr's offensive is someone else's offense but better.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like how his defense of Kerr's offensive is someone else's offense but better.

There are, like, 4 offenses in the NBA that people have been adapting and improving on for decades, so I am not sure why this is something Kerr should be blamed for.

Pick and Roll? pfffft, more like Lazy Coaching.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Who do people think should win 6th Man. IMO Kanter was robbed last year and deserves it this year too. He puts up crazy numbers for a guy who does 21mpg.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Taking someone else's system and trying to make it better is hard. Ask any Phil Jackson alumni who got a head coaching job

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lockback posted:

There are, like, 4 offenses in the NBA that people have been adapting and improving on for decades, so I am not sure why this is something Kerr should be blamed for.

Pick and Roll? pfffft, more like Lazy Coaching.

I don't blame him but if you want to be smug about it at least explain it better. Not some vague but it's better.

I mean he did that for the defensive side.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

leftist heap posted:

Who do people think should win 6th Man. IMO Kanter was robbed last year and deserves it this year too. He puts up crazy numbers for a guy who does 21mpg.

Him playing only 21 minutes per game is a strike against him. So is his team being below 50 wins despite having a top MVP candidate.

I think Iggy deserves it, partially as a lifetime achievement award.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

leftist heap posted:

I like Iguodala and thought he should have gotten it last year. This year his stats are up a little despite the teams record being a bit worse so I'll vouch for him again. I can't argue much with picking Kanter though.

I mean also as a statement picking Iggy is a vote for "FOR GODS SAKE STOP GIVING THIS AWARD TO lovely CHUCKERS".

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I still think it's Eric Gordon, possibly even Lou Williams again.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Has anyone ever won it before while being traded mid-season playing significant minutes on both teams? It's kind of amusing that Lou Will's managed to be really effective off the bench for both the Lakers and Houston.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Center might be the 2nd deepest position in the league right now after point guard.

Which is crazy considering how lovely centers were there for a while and how much hand-wringing there is about the death of the 5.

Yeah there is four positions with more depth right now than centres

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

My favorite thing about the Russ for MVP bandwagon is the people insisting that having him crash the glass on defense is a good thing because that way he can start the fast break.

Yes you want your primary ball handler as far away from your basket as possible while trying to score in transition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axfuXEBa-Bo

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

if i've misremembered/been ill informed thats fine, it was never really my argument in the first place i was just laughing at the asinine concept of saying luke waltons wins dont count because steve kerr is the sole creator of everything about golden state when he inherited an insanely talented playoff team who all had skillsets that work perfectly together and came in with some very good assistants.

my argument on why steve kerr is overrated has more to do with how hes been outcoached several times by some pretty mediocre coaches and really just the general rushing to annoint him a god when he hasnt done much other than not be mark jackson

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

attackmole posted:

Has anyone ever won it before while being traded mid-season playing significant minutes on both teams? It's kind of amusing that Lou Will's managed to be really effective off the bench for both the Lakers and Houston.

Actually, that might convince me Lou Williams is the right guy.

David Lee also has a kind of hilarious and unexpected case:

http://www.basketball-reference.com...1.0&order_by=ws

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

predicto posted:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Sixth Man of the Year is a lovely award.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ghost Dog posted:

if i've misremembered/been ill informed thats fine, it was never really my argument in the first place i was just laughing at the asinine concept of saying luke waltons wins dont count because steve kerr is the sole creator of everything about golden state when he inherited an insanely talented playoff team who all had skillsets that work perfectly together and came in with some very good assistants.

my argument on why steve kerr is overrated has more to do with how hes been outcoached several times by some pretty mediocre coaches and really just the general rushing to annoint him a god when he hasnt done much other than not be mark jackson

Getting beaten or outplayed is not the same as being outcoached, also no one thinks that Kerr is a god he's just a good basketball coach lmao.

Did Steve Kerr kick you in the nuts or something? What is going on here.

Like the thing that set this off was some random dude saying that Steve Kerr was the fifth best coach in a league of bad coaches.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Paul Zuvella posted:

Getting beaten or outplayed is not the same as being outcoached, also no one thinks that Kerr is a god he's just a good basketball coach lmao.

Did Steve Kerr kick you in the nuts or something? What is going on here.

Like the thing that set this off was some random dude saying that Steve Kerr was the fifth best coach in a league of bad coaches.

how do you manage to post on the internet from an alternate universe where you didnt ask me to elaborate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Sixth Man of the Year is a lovely award.

I'm in favor of more awards cause IMO there's a ton of poo poo in the NBA worth celebrating.

James Harden deserves an award for slyly pinching Draymond Green in the belly.

• Locked thread