Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Entropic posted:

Whoa, it's even one cheaper on the front end and comes with trample. I guess that's why it got bumped up to rare.

I'm imagining playing against that card as an uncommon and it's making me miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I'd pay an extra W to gain X life and not discard, but hey, its not like anyone expected Sphinx's Revelation to be in this Egyptian themed set :v:

Alright that didn't even occur to me until you said it and now I'm mad

Entropic posted:

Whoa, it's even one cheaper on the front end and comes with trample. I guess that's why it got bumped up to rare.

and people say WOTC doesn't print powerful instants or sorceries anymore

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Between new Braingeyser and Miscalculation-Force Spike's baby control strategies are gonna have a real chance!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/maro254/status/851433761153482752

Can we just rename :dadjoke: to :maro:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Siivola posted:

I'm kinda hoping they'll ban the Felidar and nothing else. Just to see if a T2 deck manages to rise up to challenge Mardu Good Stuff.

Gideon is completely ridiculous. Someone should get shitcanned if he makes it through to Amonkhet standard.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I'd pay an extra W to gain X life and not discard, but hey, its not like anyone expected Sphinx's Revelation to be in this Egyptian themed set :v:

Just like the serpopard, no one knows what the Egyptians called their sphinx so a Greek name is given to them because of their similarity. And they seem to be associated with the sun and not riddles.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Jabor posted:

If there are enough tools to survive the early game in the format we could see real control decks back.

I admire your optimism

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

I admire your optimism

Fatal Push and Grasp of Darkness are both good.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

I can't help but love everything about this card

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Finally, I can dust off my Scourge Unburdens

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I'm sure this will see play simply because there are no better options, but they couldn't just reprint Hero's Downfall and Vile Rebirth?

YggdrasilTM posted:

Oketra the True
3W
Legendary Creature - God
Double strike, indestructible

Oketra the True cannot attack or block unless you control at least three other creatures.

3W: Create a 1/1 white Warrior creature token with vigilance.

This seems solid, curves out but prob not worth playing while Gideons are an option. Maybe SB tech.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 10, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If nothing else that God is miles and miles ahead of Heliod

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Sampatrick posted:

I can't help but love everything about this card

Who says WotC doesn't do relevant reprints in Standard!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Gideon is completely ridiculous. Someone should get shitcanned if he makes it through to Amonkhet standard.
Well, judging from how half the Amonkhet design team changed midway through, someone already did! :v:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Siivola posted:

Well, judging from how half the Amonkhet design team changed midway through, someone already did! :v:

Link to details on this?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm just shitposting. Two devs left the design team for unspecified reasons, but I think both Stoddard and Hayes are still on the payroll: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/amonkhet-down-business-part-1-2017-04-03

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

FINALLY, THE MINOTAUR COMMANDER!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Star Man posted:

Just like the serpopard, no one knows what the Egyptians called their sphinx so a Greek name is given to them because of their similarity. And they seem to be associated with the sun and not riddles.

There's already a Sphinx in the set.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Zombie snake hydra.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

At least someone seems to have sat down and said "what would a Minotaur EDH deck want as its Commander" as opposed to the "how about goodstuff" when they did the Legendary Werewolf.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Zombie snake hydra.

IMO it really should be just a zombie snake seeing how it's been dehydrated

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Looks like they learned their lesson with Ulrich and let the EDH guy make the EDH card this time.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

Looks like they learned their lesson with Ulrich and let the EDH guy make the EDH card this time.

What would a good werewolf commander be like anyway? Prevents nonhuman werewolves from transforming?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

xanthan posted:

What would a good werewolf commander be like anyway? Prevents nonhuman werewolves from transforming?

Literally having any interaction with the creature type, "werewolf", beyond just being one. Granting a keyword, or an anthem effect, or an activated ability to transform another werewolf while he's in werewolf form, or allowing werewolf creatures to enter transformed. Just... something.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

xanthan posted:

Legendary Immerwolf :v:

Also I think people just writing this off as an EDH card are making a mistake, if you can consistently get near hellbent a 3 mana 4/2 first strike is nothing to sneeze at and it works well with the red god

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

xanthan posted:

Produce lots of werewolf/wolf tokens and pump up wolves and werewolves at least probably. I'm not an EDH guy.

Elyv posted:

Legendary Immerwolf :v:

Also I think people just writing this off as an EDH card are making a mistake, if you can consistently get near hellbent a 3 mana 4/2 first strike is nothing to sneeze at and it works well with the red god

I hope this happens because big red decks are cool and good.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 10, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TheKingofSprings posted:

Stop talking about the Minotaur and start emptyquoting this.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Flameblade Adept into Noose Constrictor into Neheb into Hazoret.

Jund 'em out.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

I hope the red embalm creature is just a functional reprint of hellspark elemental.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

I hope this happens because big red decks are cool and good.

If we're talking about a deck that wants to be near hellbent by turn 4 that's Sligh or RDW, not Big Red

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I can't even boo this as much as I want to. :golfclap:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Elyv posted:

If we're talking about a deck that wants to be near hellbent by turn 4 that's Sligh or RDW, not Big Red

"Jund, the cause of, and solution to all of life's problems!"

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

xanthan posted:

No, because that interacts badly with the werewolf horrors from Eldritch Moon.

EDIT:

Now there's a one-card combo. Also, playing around more with red land hate that isn't just "blow it up".

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 10, 2017

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

This card is so loving strange. It can be Cancel -> Timewalk or it can do nothing. I actually really like it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I can't believe they're printing a card that's a functionally worse reprint of Flaccify, what the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
rubble seems like a very good effect to have available.

• Locked thread