Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

BUT THEY DON'T LOOK LIKE SWEDES

The Danes?

EDIT:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

evil_bunnY posted:

BUT THEY DON'T LOOK LIKE SWEDES

Swedes bad, ok?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Heinz Hynkel posted:

Swedes bad, ok?

:agreed:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
But they are leeching on our welfare state while also taking our jobs somehow! :qq:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Potrzebie posted:

But they are leeching on our welfare state while also taking our jobs somehow! :qq:

the duality of man

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
He was right though. SD is gonna become the largest party unless we somehow shut down the internet.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Mercrom posted:

He was right though. SD is gonna become the largest party unless we somehow shut down the internet.

while I agree that the internet is probably bad: nah

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

What a bunch of utter bullshit, idiotic arguments like that will only keep Sweden unsafe and all but guarantee that SD will become the largest party. The obvious solution is to just have refugee centers outside the EU and have the same rules as Australia, nobody that goes to Europe with boat gets to stay instead only people who gets asylum at local refugee centers. This will also stop the massive streams of people coming in. Your retarded solutions only continue to encourage mass migration of economic immigrants that have nothing at all to do here like this terrorist Uzbeki. Also Reva needs to be restarded again, the "racial profiling" argument is utter bullshit since guess what most illegals don't look like Swedes.

lmao you're such a piece of poo poo

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Beeswax posted:

lmao you're such a piece of poo poo

Okay, maybe you should tell us why? This is a place for Debate and Discussion. You need to tell why you think he is such a piece of poo poo. Otherwise you post is just pure garbage. A genuine shitpost.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I had a long LF-style post typed up as a reply, but you're not worth any more effort than this:

Heinz Hynkel posted:

Okay, maybe you should tell us why? This is a place for Debate and Discussion. You need to tell why you think he is such a piece of poo poo. Otherwise you post is just pure garbage. A genuine shitpost.

:ironicat:

Now go away

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Heinz Hynkel posted:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
if we ignore them they will go away

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What did France do after they got terror'd a bunch of times?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

They have a very significant reduction in hate crimes. So whatever they did, they did something good.

http://www.france24.com/en/20170201-number-racist-incidents-france-plummets

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Bombed Syria.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Potrzebie posted:

They have a very significant reduction in hate crimes. So whatever they did, they did something good.

http://www.france24.com/en/20170201-number-racist-incidents-france-plummets

Seems like they did in the short term at least. How much is due to the state of emergency and how much is due to efforts to combat racism?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I thought the exact same thing, but I can never find that picture when I search for it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

I thought the exact same thing, but I can never find that picture when I search for it.

It was suprisingly difficult to find.

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

That is just retarded. I strongly support Israel :-D

Also; gently caress you, imbecile. :-DD

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Heinz Hynkel posted:

Of course you do, a properly white Ashkenazi Israel of course, no sephardic or african jews may need apply

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

skipThings posted:

Of course you do, a properly white Ashkenazi Israel of course, no sephardic or african jews may need apply

I don't share your racist views. You should be ashamed.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Heinz Hynkel posted:

Dhat is just redarbeb. I stroggly subbord Israel :-D

Also; fugg yoo, imbeddile. :-DD

Sure you do, Spurdo, I'm sure you do.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Heinz Hynkel posted:

I, too, support white phosphorous being used in residential areas and a brutal colonial policy of division in the West Bank

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hey everyone, let's talk about something else!

http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/anders-ygemans-krav-pa-jimmie-akesson/

quote:

GÖTEBORG. Efter polisprofessor Leif GW Perssons uppmaning:
I Expressens "Bara Politik – med Niklas Svensson", som sänds i kväll klockan 19.00, öppnar inrikesminister Anders Ygeman för att låta Jimmie Åkesson vara med i överläggningarna om nya terroråtgärder – men bara om SD ställer sig bakom regeringens politik.

So, putting aside my conflicted feelings for SD, what is Ygeman going on about? "Yeah they can join us, but only if they agree with whatever it is we decide we're going to do!". What do they gain by putting up an ultimatum like this?

Also, S is planning on increasing the number of cops by 10000 new cops by 2024, but this is just a pointless gesture, isn't it? The problem with the police in Sweden is, from my understanding, not about the numbers, but institutional problmes like lots of administrative work, ineffective computer software, police leadership that aren't responsive to feedback and lousy working conditions. This seems like a bandaid for internal bleeding.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 12, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
We need MORE GUNS

like assault rifles and tanks and stuff too

Gunships patrolling the skies, and sexy cyborg animes patrolling the streets

Stuff like that

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

McCloud posted:

Also, S is planning on increasing the number of cops by 10000 new cops by 2024, but this is just a pointless gesture, isn't it? The problem with the police in Sweden is, from my understanding, not about the numbers, but institutional problmes like lots of administrative work, ineffective computer software, police leadership that aren't responsive to feedback and lousy working conditions. This seems like a bandaid for internal bleeding.

Yeah, and almost every party is doing it. Actual policies on law and order have slowly been replaced in the last few years by populist bidding wars where it's always more boots on the ground and harsher sentencing that is the solution to all of our problems. It's extremely in-effective for actually dealing with crime and the hugely complicated issue of recidivism but it does look good in newspaper headings and on posters. It has this special brand of common-sense appeal that wins over voters who know nothing on the subject but still like the idea of 'something' being done.´

As DN pointed out yesterday with the current number of applicants to the police academy reaching the initial 5000 that the police asked for would very difficult and a 10 000 bid is in this context a complete fantasy. The political solutions to this problem range between 'no we really don't want to do this' (wages) and farcical (decreasing qualifications yet again) so yeah it is a pointless gesture. Anyone who doubts as much should read the 2014 BRÅ evaluation on the initiative to hire 2500 more police officers by the alliance government between 2006-2010.

Also I hope you like this debate because it's the debate on the shortage of qualified teachers, nurses, subnurses, soldiers and qualified social workers all over again. Turns out that when public sector wages and working conditions don't keep pace with private sector ones people stop working in the public sector. Who would have thought.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 12, 2017

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

McCloud posted:

So, putting aside my conflicted feelings for SD, what the gently caress is Ygeman going on about? "Yeah they can join us, but only if they agree with whatever it is we decide we're going to do!". What do they gain by putting up an ultimatum like this?

If you are not with us, you are against us and thus against terror? And you don't want to be against terror, do you?
Ygeman talks a lot.

As for the cops, they are getting zip in the autumns budget.
The current issues for the police seems to be a reorganization that doesn't work and disrupts established practices in some idea of implementing Lean.
Eliasson seems fond of recruiting old friends who are managers but have no experience of police work, example last police chief for Skåne who became a sacrificial lamb.
The recruitment also seems problematic, the education spots are not getting filled and last year the intelligence criteria was reduced by one point to increase the number of possible applicants.
Add to that increasing levels of police officers leaving the organisation for better opportunities. Nowadays former police officers can go to security firms and insurance companies for better pay and working conditions.

People like to talk about how our society becomes safer by pointing to reducing amounts of recorded crime.
Using that as a measure of the safety of our society is fraught with problems however. More police officers leads to more crime being recorded ie an increase as an example.
As Sanandaj points out in Massutmaning, since the 80s the number of people employed by security firms have increased massively and now outnumbers the police, the number of home alarms have followed the same trend.
If you were born in the 80-90s you probably walked by yourself to school without being accompanied by a parent, and that is something which have decreased massively since then. When I drop-off or pickup my kid at day care in a suburb to M, the number of kids going to school without parents are very few.
The amount of recorded crime is thus by itself not something that can be looked at in isolation, since crime prevention techniques like the ones mentioned above also will reduce crime since people act rationally and reduce the risks to their person and property. It is the exact same things that govern how people choose schools for their children.

Our current ruling coalition have been very good at doing proclamations that they will spend so and so much money on police, transportation and military, but it wont' happen in the next years but after next election if they are reelected.
That is probably not a good strategy, since it is not really doing anything for the current situation and given that first money needs to arrive and then the effect comes like 2-3 years later we are effectively talking 2 elections from now for this to have an effect.
The current S is a status quo party, which is obvious according to the above as well as the numerous investigations and coordinators that have been appointed for various issues. We even have a minister for coordination in Baylan. This is largely due to the current coalition being pretty weak in the parliament.

Edit: Also what MiddleOne points out.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah, and almost every party is doing it. Actual policies on law and order have slowly been replaced in the last few years by populist bidding wars where it's always more boots on the ground and harsher sentencing that is the solution to all of our problems. It's extremely in-effective for actually dealing with crime and the hugely complicated issue of recidivism but it does look good in newspaper headings and on posters. It has this special brand of common-sense appeal that wins over voters who know nothing on the subject but still like the idea of 'something' being done.´

I think you're spot on. The problem has become that the political parties seems more interested in staying in power than actually doing their jobs. They offer empty platitudes and nonsense solution that sound good on paper but have very little effect.
It's pretty discouraging and upsetting actually, because I don't see a good remedy for this type of behavior. Normally I'd say to vote these clowns out, because that's the ony thing they seem to care about, but when you look at every other party, it's enough to make you cry.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

As Sanandaj points out in Massutmaning, since the 80s the number of people employed by security firms have increased massively and now outnumbers the police

This however I'd argue is misleading. A lot has changed since the 80's which has necessitated the growth of a private security sector. One such example is the increased liability and security requirements set upon bars and restaurants which has created thousands of security jobs. We could also look at stores which are no longer strictly isolated but are instead condensed into malls which facilitate a new demand for present security personal. Another is the application of lean in the public sector with the advent of new public management. A hospital, municipal building or university doesn't have security employees anymore, it has a contract with Securitas or G4S who render the same services.

There's also an argument to be had on whether the work currently done by our private security companies really is important enough to warrant the attention of a qualified police personal who could be using their expertise elsewhere. Do we need police officers to be patrolling industrial zones? Do we need police officers to be catching shoplifters? I most cases, having less qualified security personal on site who can call the police and contain the situation until their arrival is simply way more efficient. I could keep listing examples and arguments but my point is that a strict numbers comparison is vastly simplifying what is actually going on.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 12, 2017

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I mean, that would be a compelling argument, except the cops don't seem to be doing much copping either way. Seems a lot of their time is spent doing administrative bullshit or things that are not "solving crimes".

There are tons of examples of cases of theft, for instance, of people literally telling the police "I know who stole it and know where my stuff are, I have proof in the form of video/GPS/whatever" and the police just don't have the resources/time/will to do the legwork to solve it.

However, since I don't know how police work is structured, I can't really say what an effective remedy would be. I do know that when I called in to report a case, the officer was using MS DOS to log the report. This was about 5-6 years ago.

It seems to be one of those instances where moving over to a new type of standardiserad system for the whole country would be a massive hassle short term so they either keep putting it off or they have a system in the pipeline that's so bloated that it's gonna be a catastrophe by the time it's launched. :shrug:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

But pursuing an effective remedy would mean getting into the nitty gritty of the many problems of the police re-organization and neither our last government, current government or opposition are interested in dealing with that so it's more officers instead I guess. :v:

It's all quite sad.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

Turns out that when public sector wages and working conditions don't keep pace with private sector ones people stop working in the public sector. Who would have thought.
This basically. Also, if you thought you knew the meaning the "non-confrontational to a fault", you haven't yet tried to change work habits in a swedish government institution. poo poo's bananas.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Society is safer in Scandinavia (yes, even with all the immigrants, sorry people want to frame it as the downfall of civilization), and no, it's not loving because of increased private security, Jesus Christ, that can't be a real argument someone made? Talk about being desperate to find a reason to support an ideological narrative.

Anyway. Despite a demonstrably safer society (by anyone who does actual science in the subject) people feel less safe because they're big wussy babies, and maybe also the constant bombardment of how dangerous everything is from the news - which they do for various reasons including business ones. People also report more crime, even though crime levels have gone down considerably in the last 50 years - at least in a Danish context, Vagn Greve examined this very thoroughly and violence is reported much more often to day than in the 80ties, and actual violence has decreased (leading to more police work with less actual crime).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Society is safer in Scandinavia (yes, even with all the immigrants, sorry people want to frame it as the downfall of civilization), and no, it's not loving because of increased private security, Jesus Christ, that can't be a real argument someone made? Talk about being desperate to find a reason to support an ideological narrative.

Yeah that's the part where me and Cardiac disagree and have been doing so for better part of this threads existence. As always he's referring to anti-immigration national econoimst Tino Sanandaji who much could be said about.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's always funny when somebody unironically cites Sanandaji and Massutmaning. The only use for that book is as a cautionary example of how easy it is to draw bad conclusions from good data.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

This basically. Also, if you thought you knew the meaning the "non-confrontational to a fault", you haven't yet tried to change work habits in a swedish government institution. poo poo's bananas.
To be fair there's plenty of that in the private sector as well.

Anyone who's ever worked in IT can retell stories about how they had to take a new system and spend tons of hours and a silly amount of money trying to make its user interface look and behave just like an old system because users refuse to change their workflow/habits.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's always funny when somebody unironically cites Sanandaji and Massutmaning. The only use for that book is as a cautionary example of how easy it is to draw bad conclusions from good data.

I've always felt that Sanandaj has compelling points, but I understand poo poo about statistics. Do you mind elaborating?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

I've always felt that Sanandaj has compelling points, but I understand poo poo about statistics. Do you mind elaborating?

Basically he excludes alternative explanations and conflicting data in order to push his own pet theory. Basically go listen to this to get the scoop.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

MiddleOne posted:

Also I hope you like this debate because it's the debate on the shortage of qualified teachers, nurses, subnurses, soldiers and qualified social workers all over again. Turns out that when public sector wages and working conditions don't keep pace with private sector ones people stop working in the public sector. Who would have thought.

What is, realistically, the way forward if wages are to be increased and why isn't it happening already? I know the healthcare unions are pretty neutered, but does the same apply to the police?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

MiddleOne posted:

But pursuing an effective remedy would mean getting into the nitty gritty of the many problems of the police re-organization and neither our last government, current government or opposition are interested in dealing with that so it's more officers instead I guess. :v:

It's all quite sad.

Yeah. On top of all the other bullshit and the competition from the private sector, we have the wonders of NPR with all the moronic stats optimizing that follows. And the fact that you get the job as top boss for the entire Swedish police force because you've been in politics for your entire adult life and thus you are obviously uniquely qualified for the job.

I wonder how long it will take until cops do the same as health care workers and start working as consultants for 2x wages and whatever hours they want. We are fortunate that it is illegal now.