Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

FPzero posted:

I'm overly harsh on yellow just because I find it difficult to work with in its pure form. Add a tiny bit of orange and you're suddenly in an orange spectrum, add a bit of green, the green spectrum. Pure yellows are just hard to bring out in my head and when I see them on paper.

I took a crack at fixing the palette of the level in Photoshop (meaning I wasn't able to modify anything ingame to look better so this is a pretty rough rework) and I think I came up with an infinitely better-looking level:

->

Most of the yellows being used in here were pure RGB yellow (255,255,0). If I had access to the level files and wanted to spend time mucking around changing tiles and palettes this is probably the bare minimum of what I'd change. Deserts are usually more than just yellow sand, so I added a green cactus, made the sky and clouds have a slight orange tint, gave the mountains in the background some yellow-green and made that one rock below Mario darker as an example of how I would color all the big rocks in the dirt. I also lightened the general dirt colors a little bit just to get them away from using that RGB yellow. I think it came out much better.

I agree with most or all of that, and yeah, the image is a much better way of what I was trying to convey in my verbal diarrhea. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
...I just now noticed that the single Forest of Illusion(?) tree next to Streamside has a X ) face as opposed to every other one having the Jack o' Lantern-esque face.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The level is cool but just too long. Each exit makes you solve at least two long and involved puzzles to win. Individually, the puzzles would be fun but taken together it's too much. Unfortunately, there wasn't really anywhere to cut throughout it because the majority of the video was slowly puzzling out the solutions so this is mostly unedited.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I don't normally like puzzle levels but I honestly feel like that one is a super elegant way of doing one. The check points and hints work well, and the "coin trails to show where sprites go" makes it easier to figure out for even a dummy like me.

Doing it + the secret exit in one go definitely makes it run a bit long though, I agree.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
You don't see many vertical levels.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I liked the verticality and the puzzles, but that really would have been better as two levels.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

PurpleXVI posted:

You don't see many vertical levels.

There's a couple reasons for that, mostly stemming from the fact they're actually quite glitchy. There's a lot of weirdness with object wraparound, sprite weirdness due to loading when you scroll vertically and not horizontally, things like that. The goal post doesn't work properly in a vertical level, which is why the goal sphere exists (they can only be used on screens 0 and 1, and they still end without the fadeout ala a goal sphere anyways)... Not to mention SMW's vertical camera being a little bit weird.

Since you can't use objects on the boundaries, you can just use Map16 but using wholly Map16 tends to make levels much larger in size, and layer priority doesn't work properly. You have less screens than a horizontal level, and there's a lot of layer 3 weirdness. Backgrounds can have issues with scrolling either due to tiling, or garbage showing up.

Not to mention simply how hard it is to design a level where the player has to climb up, and how simple levels where you fall down tend to end up. Usually people just don't bother with them.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

I think my vldcX level will put in a decently good word in favor of vertical levels. Actually there are a few vertical levels going into that hack, which is going to be pretty neat

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

So, what actually is Map16? I know it's a SMW thing and a lot of stuff uses it, but is it a tileset? Is it a sprite collection? Is it just some random name the guy who made Lunar Magic came up with and the community latched onto it?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Basically, how all the 2D Mario games (except Mario maker) works is the levels are built out of "objects." These objects are built out of the individual tiles. I'm not 100% on the other games, but I've fiddled with SMB3 a little bit before, and if you want to place custom things you need to make custom objects.

Lunar magic, however, has a system called "Direct Map16 access." I'm not sure why it's called Map16 exactly, but probably because it's a tilemap of all the 16x16 tiles. This allows you to place the tiles directly instead of having to place the objects, and it's pretty goddamn powerful. It's a must when using custom graphics.

You have two ways to look at the Map16. The one on the left is through the Place Objects window, and the one on the right is the actual Map16 window. Each Map16 tile is constructed out of four 8x8 tiles, and each of those can be flipped in the X or Y direction, and have their own palette row selected. Each 16x16 tile can be set to act like another one (this is how you use things like custom blocks) and can have its layer priority turned on or off.

And the Map16 window has its own 8x8 selector to help with building these tiles. Here I've made a block that is the SMW grassland ground block with four different tiles set to act like tile 25 (which is air). The 8x8 selector can look at all the non-sprite graphics files you currently have selected for your level.

EDIT: For reference, this is what the extra tileset of my VLDCX level ended up looking like:

Although all of these tiles are already in SMW, because I ended up remapping them or changing their palettes I had to place them on the Map16 page.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 12, 2017

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I see! Thanks for the explanation!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Wrapping up mountain world. The skull rafts in the first level are done really well for once and the second level is graphically impressive, though needed a bit more development with its themes and setups to be truly great.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I wanted to try these levels out. How exactly do you run this? Most of what I've tried worked poorly.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

When you download the hack, you'll have a .bps patch. You'll also need to find and download from somewhere a Super Mario World rom. I can't link you to one directly. It should be 512KB big and might be labeled "Super Mario World (U) [!].smc" This is a standard SMW rom. Once you have the patch and the rom, you'll need to use a patching program like Flips (Floating IPS) to patch it. Follow the included instructions to properly patch the rom. Don't forget to make a copy of the rom you downloaded so you'll have a clean SMW rom for any further use

You'll most likely need to use snes9x as your emulator (that's what we use). If you have a patched rom, all you need to do is load the rom in snes9x and you should be ready to play.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Snes9X seemed to have serious control issues (jumping out of water was nearly impossible), and bSNES (which has a new name I can't be bothered to remember) runs too slow to be useful. I take it that the game doesn't run on the real hardware?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I can't say I've had control issues with snes9x... Make sure you're holding up when trying to jump out?

I'm not 100% certain but I have a feeling it doesn't run on real hardware.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

FPzero posted:

I can't say I've had control issues with snes9x... Make sure you're holding up when trying to jump out?

I'm not 100% certain but I have a feeling it doesn't run on real hardware.

That is the control issue I was having. Holding up was locking out the left and right buttons, so if you left the water it was very hard to actually land on the shore.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
I had a similar issue which was fixed by mapping the diagonals properly on my controller. It's a little touchy but it's doable easy enough within three tries. In other emulators it doesn't matter, but it does for snes9x. If you haven't done that, try that. No idea if that works on keyboard though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Gnoman posted:

That is the control issue I was having. Holding up was locking out the left and right buttons, so if you left the water it was very hard to actually land on the shore.

Are you using a keyboard for controls, by any chance? Keyboards have limits on how many keys they can have pressed at a time, and any remotely decent controller will be massively better than a keyboard.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Are you using a keyboard for controls, by any chance? Keyboards have limits on how many keys they can have pressed at a time, and any remotely decent controller will be massively better than a keyboard.

Wired Xbox 360 controller. An Afterglow, to be precise.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Wired Xbox 360 controller. An Afterglow, to be precise.

Are you using the stick or the Dpad? If it's the dpad, the controller reports "up-right" as a different input than "up" and "right" together. You'll need to dig into the emulator input options and enable a separate binding for the diagonals in that case.
If you're using the stick it should just work fine, although if your deadzone is set really oddly then you'll run into problems. It shouldn't be, though.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I was using the D-Pad, as using a thumbstick to play Mario seems somewhat blasphemous.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man there's some weird stuff about SMW.

I had no idea those moving block snakes worked like that.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Man there's some weird stuff about SMW.

I had no idea those moving block snakes worked like that.

It's really amazing any SNES game runs at all.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Trasson posted:

It's really amazing any SNES game runs at all.

Fixed that for you. Modern games are just as tangled a mess as old console games were. In fact, modern games are even more complicated, leading to more opportunities to break things in new and interesting ways!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 10 - Grand Treason :siren:

This week: betrayal.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I wouldn't write Zepeli off as the Absolute Worst quite yet. After all, you haven't come across the character that inherited Umaro's berserk status. You could get an exploding berserker! Or a runic berserker! I have that last one on the... interesting seed I've been playing.

Fake edit: To be clear, I haven't played the LP's seed, so I'm not trying to be coy or anything. You could end up with a really good berserker for all I know!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Can berserkers use any command other than Fight?

Zepeli might theoretically be redeemable by getting access to really awesome equipment. I mean, imagine if he were the only one able to use the Ragnarok.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

I wouldn't write Zepeli off as the Absolute Worst quite yet. After all, you haven't come across the character that inherited Umaro's berserk status. You could get an exploding berserker! Or a runic berserker! I have that last one on the... interesting seed I've been playing.

Fake edit: To be clear, I haven't played the LP's seed, so I'm not trying to be coy or anything. You could end up with a really good berserker for all I know!

Zepeli might theoretically be redeemable by getting access to really awesome equipment. I mean, imagine if he were the only one able to use the Ragnarok.

That is honestly the only possible redemption. He's able to equip basic swords, like the elemental blades we just got but not the enhancer, so I really doubt it.

Since I'm delaying another week since this was episode was short on missed content I'm going to do a quick summary of our characters (note that Hato, Shanon, Gendo and Hiiro have had some esper bonuses, so their stats may not be stock)

Party Average Stats: Strength 37, Speed 35, Stamina 32, Magic 32.

Chichi, aside from Vigor is pure average. Strength is low, but she's here to heal rear end and chew doritos, and she's sometimes out of rear end, so no big loss there.

Gendo is fast and strong. The third strongest on paper, but the strongest person we'd willingly choose to attack with. He's not bad, but he is boring.

Jean currently is low across the board, his magic is terrible, which is really sad to see from the guy who ate a gem box. 13, 13! Zepeli is double that! I'm going to fix that as soon as I can.

Viral is slow and weak, but his magic stat is above average, so once we get some magic in him we may see value.

Hato needs no introduction, he's great if you can look past his unpredictability. Only Viral is slower than him. Magic is a little low, but still in the curve.

Hiiro's stats are above average across the board. Fastest by far and second only to Shanon in raw magic power. R-elem has a much smaller pool to draw from, so damage should be more reliable than Hato, but it lacks the piercing strength of GrandTrain.

Shanon is a glass cannon, Stamina is the only dump stat.

Mog Saber is included in the pile, but I'll skip mentioning her since its been 9 episodes since we saw her last.

Legato really only has magic going for him, he's one of the slowest ninja's ever.

Zepeli is weak but fast. The only plan for him is when he has to be used, I need to cram his face full of the highest +Strength Esper I can find. In vanilla I love Cyan as a character, but drat if Zepeli doesn't beat him out for most pathetic member.

If we were to enter Kefka's tower today, Zepeli would definitely be left on the ship, and the second seat would either be Gendo or Legato, depending on if I had enough skeins or MP to sustain offense with Legato.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

FPzero posted:

Wrapping up mountain world. The skull rafts in the first level are done really well for once and the second level is graphically impressive, though needed a bit more development with its themes and setups to be truly great.

Lots of these levels supply one-ups, which seems odd to me for a compilation ROM with infinite lives. I know there's the checkpoint mechanic that generates one, but why else would they be there?

A concession to the notion that the level might appear in a 'normal' game?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I just assumed they were unaware that in the final product infinite lives would be a thing

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah as far as I can tell everyone just assumed lives would be a thing. The other thing about lives is that they're a nice little reward to hand out to the player so people like to design little things for them.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

ArcMage posted:

Lots of these levels supply one-ups, which seems odd to me for a compilation ROM with infinite lives. I know there's the checkpoint mechanic that generates one, but why else would they be there?

A concession to the notion that the level might appear in a 'normal' game?

There's not really much in the way of bonus things to hand out to players for jumping through your optional deathtrap. You don't want to give power ups, since power ups aren't meant to be bonus extras. As well, anyone who can get through your optional deathtrap doesn't need a power up. You can't give out pure points, for all those are worth. So, you can give coins, which are just fractions of lives, or lives.

If vanilla SMW had Genesis Sonic special stage rings or more esoteric powerups like the Hammer Bros. suit those would be excellent to put in this sort of thing. As it stands, optional deathtraps tend to just have the satisfaction of doing them as the reward.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

Jean currently is low across the board, his magic is terrible, which is really sad to see from the guy who ate a gem box.

Extra fun: because his skill is X Magic and not just Magic, he can't cast anything outside of battle.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

oldskool posted:

Extra fun: because his skill is X Magic and not just Magic, he can't cast anything outside of battle.

Yep, I realized it as soon as Chichi got back. But I didn't realize his magic stat was poo poo until last night.

You know what else doesn't know his magic stat is poo poo? Break :getin:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Can you Runic Blue Magic? I want to say that you can Runic anything that costs MP but I've honestly never tried it with Blue Magic. Honestly it would be a sweet ability if you could use it against the late-game "magic" like Absolute 0 but I'm guessing that it doesn't work there because those abilities don't actually have MP costs.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Can you Runic Blue Magic? I want to say that you can Runic anything that costs MP but I've honestly never tried it with Blue Magic. Honestly it would be a sweet ability if you could use it against the late-game "magic" like Absolute 0 but I'm guessing that it doesn't work there because those abilities don't actually have MP costs.

IIRC a lot of monster spells have an MP cost of 20, but Runic is hardcoded to only work against proper "spell" spells with the color dot and everything.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Spells
Vs
Spell-like effect

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Fixed that for you. Modern games are just as tangled a mess as old console games were. In fact, modern games are even more complicated, leading to more opportunities to break things in new and interesting ways!

Hopefully with a little less opportunity to get arbitrary code execution. (And the Car Boys videos, which I'm sure everybody here watches, is good support for your claim...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Welcome to Abstract World where levels don't make physical sense! This is a very special session because Tyty was visiting from Canada and we decided we absolutely had to record VLDC at some point. Please excuse the unclean audio over the next several videos, especially the clicks of the analog stick. It's much harder to edit out background noise when you have two people on the same open mic.

We start off with two very different levels that each give us varying amounts of trouble but in a good way. The sprite setups in the second one are pretty great and challenging!

• Locked thread