Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Selachian posted:

meh. Outside of the Giffen/DeMatteis JL, I can't remember seeing many interesting Guy stories. Maybe there was something in GLC Quarterly, but if so it's slipped my mind.

The solo Guy book was mostly Beau Smith jacking off really hard trying to make Guy the Bestest Everything Ever in the DCU.

Guy's the best at a lot of things. Exhibit A:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Guy is awesome and I will fight you

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Guy is awesome and I will fight you

One-handed, because you're too busy furiously masturbating to how great Guy Gardner is.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

purple death ray posted:

One-handed, because you're too busy furiously masturbating to how great Guy Gardner is.

Isn't everybody?

(Guy is awesome)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

God drat right

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Gardner is all over the goddamn place but how he works is a strong counterpoint to other characters. He is brash, arrogant, overconfident and genuinely a dick and that makes complete sense. Green Lantern's thing is being without fear and that doesn't just mean courageous. Hal, Guy and John all embody the idea of someone who overcomes their fear but also have personality conflicts that go with it. For Guy he is someone who can both be a giant dick and a great hero and that's interesting. However it is also why he shines at his best when he's part of a group because he needs someone to play off of. He can't succeed on his own because he needs someone to bounce his flaws off of who is give equal standing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Part of what drew me to Guy is that brash dickishness. Him being a massive dick but still always wanting to do the right thing sets him apart from most other heroes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yea but he forgot to give them a purpose

I thought their purposes were pretty well defined at least until post-Blackest Night.

The Sinestro Corps existed to basically troll the universe and force the GLs into introducing new rules like removing the no-kill code to the rings, thereby undermining the Lanterns/Guardians' righteousness by taking them off their high horses.

The Red Lanterns were all about revenge but mostly killing GLs to satisfy Atrocitus' murder-boner.

Blue was about inspiring planets with all their vaguely defined hope powers (like that time Saint Walker reignited a sun) and to help the GLs.

Indigo was a hosed up rehab/slavery program that Abin Sur made, iirc, exclusively to fight in the Blackest Night.

Orange was Larfleeze larfleezin' it up.

The Star Sapphires were... okay you win, I don't know what the Sapphires were for other than looking hot.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

TwoPair posted:

a giant company-wide reboot Dr. Manhattan time-stealing incident happen in the middle of his run.

Does anyone else think this poo poo is the funniest? I got BTFO on the comicbooks subreddit (Yes I know, I've since ceased using that Dreaded Site) for daring to say that I don't think Johns trying to pin the New 52 on fuckin' Doc Manhattan is going to end up being anything but a hilarious clown car crash. They got super mad and seem pretty pumped to see the Justice League beat up on him. If I were an armchair psychiatrist I'd say it's a representation of their hostility towards that mean, mean Alan Moore saying that modern superhero comics are bad.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 10, 2017

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Who has been served worst by retconning? Has someone started out with a conventional origin story but suddenly had it retconned to where their mother is Bilbo Baggins and their father a cloned of Galactus where they used skin from his balls to clone him?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

Who has been served worst by retconning? Has someone started out with a conventional origin story but suddenly had it retconned to where their mother is Bilbo Baggins and their father a cloned of Galactus where they used skin from his balls to clone him?

Guy Gardner was changed to being the product of a 1000 year alien breeding program in the 90's. They had to do something to keep him viable without a power ring so he was given weapon morphing abilities and weird tattoos. Reversing it was probably the best thing Geoff Johns ever did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bessantj posted:

Power Girl or Donna Troy are probably the queens of this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am pretty sure there are like six separate comics that boil down to what the gently caress is up with Donna Troy.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

bessantj posted:

Well, there's Xorn, but no one cares about Xorn anymore.

I'd put the Scarlet Witch / Quicksilver not actually being Magneto's kids anymore retcon up there too.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Power Girl or Donna Troy are probably the queens of this.

I actually liked the Atlantean origin for Power Girl, gave her something a bit more unique then just "Superman's cousin cousin from another universe, I guess?" That being said clearly the best PG comics are the Amanda Conner ones.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Huh. I really would not have thought I'd be the first one to say "Hawkman" .

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am pretty sure there are like six separate comics that boil down to what the gently caress is up with Donna Troy.

And we still don't know!

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

bessantj posted:

Tim Drake manages to get pretty impressively hosed over whenever he or anyone around him gets retconned.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

Who has been served worst by retconning?
The comic book reading audience when Jason Todd was now not dead.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bessantj posted:

Who has been served worst by retconning?

Sue Dibny.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

I actually liked the Atlantean origin for Power Girl, gave her something a bit more unique then just "Superman's cousin cousin from another universe, I guess?" That being said clearly the best PG comics are the Amanda Conner ones.

Yeah but that lead to that stupid baby arc.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Donna Troy

Ha ha, even part of her wiki is given over to her retcons.

Selachian posted:

I'd put the Scarlet Witch / Quicksilver not actually being Magneto's kids anymore retcon up there too.

And what now?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Legion have to get rebooted every time there's a major retcon because whoops Superman was never Superboy whoops no actually he was whoops no he wasn't really we mean it this time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bessantj posted:

And what now?

They recently retconned it so that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are no longer Magneto's kids because the Avengers.

To be fair them BEING Magneto's kids was also a retcon.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SiKboy posted:

Huh. I really would not have thought I'd be the first one to say "Hawkman" .

That was my first thought, too. Though I don't know much about him, so can't cite examples.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly genuinely can not explain Hawkman's backstory and the last time I saw someone try it involved like 4 different Hawkmen who were also the same guy and both form ancient Egypt and also space cops

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

They recently retconned it so that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are no longer Magneto's kids because the Avengers.

To be fair them BEING Magneto's kids was also a retcon.

What about his other kid she still his? Tell me he'll still get a Father's day card! :shobon:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Did you guys see this about anti-Semitic artwork that was snuck into the new X-Men book?

An artist snuck an anti-Semitic message into Marvel’s newest X-Men comic book - Vox
https://apple.news/APRB7s_s6RzWsIRb2zzkC1g

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

I would say the core idea of the Marvel universe is real problems. These fantastic superheroes grounded by relateable issues.

Exactly. Paying your bills, living with a heart condition, focusing on your studies, while still having fantastic adventures. And more often than not, the adventures impact the heroes' daily life in a negative way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Polaris was also sloppily retconned into being Magneto's daughter after decades of her absolutely not being his daughter.

10 Beers posted:

Did you guys see this about anti-Semitic artwork that was snuck into the new X-Men book?

An artist snuck an anti-Semitic message into Marvel’s newest X-Men comic book - Vox

We have, it's being heavily discussed in the X-Men thread.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Yeah but that lead to that stupid baby arc.

Agreed, but I like Arion, and I think him actually doing stuff instead of being a dead Atlantean is cool.

Lurdiak posted:

Exactly. Paying your bills, living with a heart condition, focusing on your studies, while still having fantastic adventures. And more often than not, the adventures impact the heroes' daily life in a negative way.

On the other hand, there's also comics about a Norse god who goes into space to fight a sentient planet. My beef with the "Marvel is like this, DC is like this" talking point is that while it's good as an extremely general overview, it's extremely overstated and too many see it as an absolute rule.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 10, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

10 Beers posted:

There's a Seinfeld episode about the importance of having a 212 area code in your phone number. Not you, too, Jerry! :godwinning:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Polaris was also sloppily retconned into being Magneto's daughter after decades of her absolutely not being his daughter.

Ha ha poor Magneto all that magnetism has left him sterile.

Is there a writer who is particularly bad with retconning characters or is it more of a general comics thing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bessantj posted:

Ha ha poor Magneto all that magnetism has left him sterile.

Is there a writer who is particularly bad with retconning characters or is it more of a general comics thing?

It's a general comics thing. There are writers who retcon a lot but it really depends on how and why. Geoff Johns for example retcons a whole goddamn lot because he has idea and wants them in. (He infamously retconned Superboy to be a mixed-clone of Lex Luthor and Superman, an idea he as a young child wrote to DC Comics to suggest for example.)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

Does anyone else think this poo poo is the funniest? I got BTFO on the comicbooks subreddit (Yes I know, I've since ceased using that Dreaded Site) for daring to say that I don't think Johns trying to pin the New 52 on fuckin' Doc Manhattan is going to end up being anything but a hilarious clown car crash. They got super mad and seem pretty pumped to see the Justice League beat up on him. If I were an armchair psychiatrist I'd say it's a representation of their hostility towards that mean, mean Alan Moore saying that modern superhero comics are bad.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the retcon, I just think it's a little silly. Frankly, I'd like it to be a good story. I bear Johns no ill will, and I don't actively enjoy bad comics. That said, making a premise like "Watchmen ruined the DCU" work is very tricky indeed so I see why people don't expect success.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Geoff Johns for example retcons a whole goddamn lot because he has idea and wants them in. (He infamously retconned Superboy to be a mixed-clone of Lex Luthor and Superman, an idea he as a young child wrote to DC Comics to suggest for example.)

He wasn't a young child. He was firmly in his 20s.

TwoPair posted:

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the retcon, I just think it's a little silly. Frankly, I'd like it to be a good story. I bear Johns no ill will, and I don't actively enjoy bad comics. That said, making a premise like "Watchmen ruined the DCU" work is very tricky indeed so I see why people don't expect success.

I think it's going to end up being something like Rise of Arsenal and thus a lot of laughs for me so I'm not angry about it either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

He wasn't a young child. He was firmly in his 20s.

Haha really? Well, my mistake.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It's a general comics thing. There are writers who retcon a lot but it really depends on how and why.

I thought it might be a comics wide thing, I don't mind characters being retconned but after the fourth or fifth time you should probably stop.

ImpAtom posted:

Geoff Johns for example retcons a whole goddamn lot because he has idea and wants them in. (He infamously retconned Superboy to be a mixed-clone of Lex Luthor and Superman, an idea he as a young child wrote to DC Comics to suggest for example.)

Hey first gay parents in comics!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

The best retcon is Alan Moore revealing that Swamp Thing is an elemental, not really Alec Holland. Hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lightning Lord posted:

On the other hand, there's also comics about a Norse god who goes into space to fight a sentient planet. My beef with the "Marvel is like this, DC is like this" talking point is that while it's good as an extremely general overview, it's extremely overstated and too many see it as an absolute rule.

I remember one time this guy came into BSS and was like "DC is so much better at dealing with real life issues than Marvel!" and I was like :stare: