Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also am I imagining things or is there only a fraction of the use of honorifics compared to 4, was that a translation choice

Nah, the main characters all forgo using suffixes with each other in Japanese too (with a couple exceptions like Mako-chan which I hope they kept in the localization).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I didn't understand how the fast travel works for the longest time, I thought you couldn't warp to places in the neighborhood you were in. Once I found how to go to school from Yogen-Jaya, it was insane

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Serf posted:

Seems like there are a ton of things the game doesn't tell you that make things a lot faster or easier.

Yea, but I sort of like it. I discovered that you can go straight from a weak hit to an all out attack and bypassing the hold up menu if you just start mashing triangle as soon as the attack hits. It was a nice little surprise.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea, but I sort of like it. I discovered that you can go straight from a weak hit to an all out attack and bypassing the hold up menu if you just start mashing triangle as soon as the attack hits.

I discovered this by accident too.

I feel like I should be acquiring more Personas but I'm trying to keep at least one in stock of each arcana that I have a Confidant with so I'm still carting around this level 3 Agathion so I can level up my boy Ryuji faster.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Show them your inner man, Ryuji.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Serf posted:

I discovered this by accident too.

I feel like I should be acquiring more Personas but I'm trying to keep at least one in stock of each arcana that I have a Confidant with so I'm still carting around this level 3 Agathion so I can level up my boy Ryuji faster.

Just summon them in the velvet room as needed. No need to lug them around all the time. It's cheap and you get plenty of money if you just level up the sun to rank 2.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Man, I have to spend an extra day on this S-Link because I said "Beep Boop." I couldn't pass up that opportunity though

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man, I have to spend an extra day on this S-Link because I said "Beep Boop." I couldn't pass up that opportunity though

Poor girl can't take a joke. She's just proving that other girl right.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So far the best dialog choice (and the one I absolutely couldn't pass up on) was "Time to button mash."

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Phantom Thieves of Saves

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/851510824141303808

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dungeon 4:

I enjoyed Futaba's palace overall and the fight and climax were really fun. Futaba seems cool and fun too but that's two dungeons in a row for me where it's passed that sort of intangible "a smidgen too long, I wish I was done" line for me. The fact that there's still some dungeon crawling to go after the calling card in Futaba's palace is really too much for that one dungeon and I think the final side paths in both dungeon 3 and 4 could have been cut and the feel of the dungeons as a whole would be more satisfying. I hope it's not a consistent thing when it comes to pace for the dungeons.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
If you didn't say "We hate the cops" your save data should be deleted because I don't think you learned anything

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
If you don't use all 16 saves slots with each slot a separate day I don't know what to say

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Moltrey posted:

If you didn't say "We hate the cops" your save data should be deleted because I don't think you learned anything

:yeah:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh gently caress I just realized I hosed myself out of being able to complete the all books trophy on this save due to plot reasons WHOOPS

Oh well, something for a NG+.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the only canon response is "i'm a dad", acutally.

nothing else matters

if it's not an option you can say, it doesn't matter at all

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
extremely early on I accidentally said Good Morning back to Kamoshida when the other option was just "........." and you loving bet I reloaded that save

Lakbay posted:

If you don't use all 16 saves slots with each slot a separate day I don't know what to say
dog I will save at 6/13 in the school and then save 6/13 in the evening on separate files, I do not trust myself

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I don't like how min/maxed the conversations feel I have so little precious time to actually hang with people and not getting a rank because you went for a comedy option instead of saying the "right" thing is annoying.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Moltrey posted:

extremely early on I accidentally said Good Morning back to Kamoshida when the other option was just "........." and you loving bet I reloaded that save

I interpreted that as the MC being a sarcastic rear end in a top hat, and I was "nice" to Kamoshida every chance I had.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You have an amazing spike, sir :jerkbag:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I picked the nicer options picturing my MC as being quiet and solemn on the outside, but on the inside he's constantly pulling his post-All Out Attack face.

"Gonna literally tear out your heart, sir. Or maybe metaphorically, I'm still not 100% on how this works."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I loved all the "yeah, I see who you really are" responses to Kamoshida, that'd look like being nice if you don't have the context of what you've found out up to that point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Serf posted:

I interpreted that as the MC being a sarcastic rear end in a top hat, and I was "nice" to Kamoshida every chance I had.
Yeah if you say good morning to him his response is 'Don't get cocky' so I'm assuming MC said it with a smug grin.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Moltrey posted:

dog I will save at 6/13 in the school and then save 6/13 in the evening on separate files, I do not trust myself

I'm a casual babby and playing on Safe difficulty using the 100% first playthrough guide on gamefaqs and I had to go back a couple of days because I hosed up an evening response and didn't have a daytime save for that day

I know it's Safe diffculty for a reason but it'd be perfect for my tastes if it didn't have double damage dealt and triple XP. I love all the other benefits

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 10, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why did this guy let his five year old play a game that opens with high school sexual abuse

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
hey, when it says "I don't think the bond will deepen just yet..." does that mean I shouldn't do the activity?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Also, the part in chapter 2 when Ann goes to Yusuke's place to model for him and the camera is centered behind her head for the beginning of the conversation, and then suddenly snaps around to show you that she's wearing like twenty layers of clothing is one of the funniest things I've seen in a video game in a long time. I spent a solid minute laughing, as I had not expected that visual gag, but it fit so well with her character.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The passive aggressive response to Kamoshida are good, but I wanted to let him know exactly where I stood with him which was Very Aggressive.

Like the game gives you the option to say you're okay with killing Kamoshida before Shiho tries to kill herself and Ryuji's behind it too and hell yeah lets go

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

hey, when it says "I don't think the bond will deepen just yet..." does that mean I shouldn't do the activity?
it means it won't rank up, but you'll still get exp towards the next rank up.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Lakbay posted:

I'm a casual babby and playing on Safe difficulty using the 100% first playthrough guide on gamefaqs and I had to go back a couple of days because I hosed up an evening response and didn't have a daytime save for that day

If you're just going to max social links you will have some extra time since that guide also involves you spending time to work at stores for various side quest missions. If you're not doing all the side quests you can spend the time doing something else.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

You need a certain amount of points (those notes that you see pop out of their head when you say something they like) to access a new rank. If they're not ready to rank up, that means you'll just hang about or go somewhere together and you'll get points and you can also give them gifts for more points if they like it.

Getting the Fortune Confidant up to Rank 7 allows you to pay money every day to get a couple of points with any character you want without it taking up time.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Endorph posted:

why did this guy let his five year old play a game that opens with high school sexual abuse

He didn't. he just wandered off while the kid was playing Yooka-Laylee and the kid got into Persona 5 on his own.

I cycled every save file because every time I'd change areas I'd forget if I'd saved or not.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Serf posted:

Also, the part in chapter 2 when Ann goes to Yusuke's place to model for him and the camera is centered behind her head for the beginning of the conversation, and then suddenly snaps around to show you that she's wearing like twenty layers of clothing is one of the funniest things I've seen in a video game in a long time. I spent a solid minute laughing, as I had not expected that visual gag, but it fit so well with her character.
I was warming up for an eye roll during that scene when Yusuke said "Have you put on weight?" I was like oh geez

but then they zag on you real good, I'm honestly kinda mad that they got me there

Serf
May 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

Looks like the kid booted it up himself while playing Yooka Laylee. It's Fahey though, so I wouldn't put your scenario past him.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Serf posted:

The best part is how believable this scene is because of how much of a Dork Yusuke is

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

theblackw0lf posted:

If you're just going to max social links you will have some extra time since that guide also involves you spending time to work at stores for various side quest missions. If you're not doing all the side quests you can spend the time doing something else.

But I do want to do everything in the game except the bonus NG+ boss

It's a fight against the twins right?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Marogareh posted:

The only negative thing I can say about this game is that Morgana railroads you a bit too much. I had a DVD that was three weeks late because he forbids me to leave the house for five minutes.

There's that, which I felt pretty acutely just before the second boss. Also there's the fact that some of the people who wrote the game are clearly shut-ins who don't know anything about the world, and assume nobody else does, either. A lot of the scenes leading up to the introduction of the third boss, showed this especially. I was wide-eyed in shock thinking 'you loving idiot!' to some of the characters.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Uh. Okay, Haru's awakened Persona is REALLY WEIRD. I've been fine with most of the others so far but hers is just like what even the gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

redreader posted:

There's that, which I felt pretty acutely just before the second boss. Also there's the fact that some of the people who wrote the game are clearly shut-ins who don't know anything about the world, and assume nobody else does, either. A lot of the scenes leading up to the introduction of the third boss, showed this especially. I was wide-eyed in shock thinking 'you loving idiot!' to some of the characters.
I think it's less that they're total shut-ins and more that a lot of japanese people, especially teenagers, don't have much personal experience with the criminal element. the crime rates are very low, after all. so they're both trying to show the mild naivete of the teenagers and doing so for an audience that mostly knows criminals from movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

10/25

"The Chief had a inkling after all huh?"

Well yeah Morgana, Futaba is right here after all.