Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

As unkindled, we're people who tried to link the flame but got rejected and just died, until the Soul of Cinder dragged us to the cemetery for emergency ressurection, right? That's what Miyazaki said, at least.

Now, I know the answer is "shut up, don't think about it," but why and how did we try to link the flame, when our starting levels, gear, and class descriptions all describe us as some random poo poo-rear end losers, like low-ranking knights who died of exhaustion or AWOL soldiers turned criminal drifters. Did we all happen upon an unguarded First Flame, and upon trying to touch the weird twisty sword get smote to death by some magical force? Or were we perhaps people caught in the blast radius of a fire-linkage, like the Black Knights or the people of the Profaned Capital, but instead of becoming animated suits of armor or Manus-hands, we just died without igniting?

And then, who would be the one who gave us our burial gifts of fire gems and hand grenades? the Soul of Cinder? Gwynevere the Oceiros' wife?

Part of the soul got burnt up as kindling anyway, making the Ashen One weaker? To be honest, I never got the whole Unkindled thing, and I've always struggled to find a source that seemed to have a decent translation and be authoritative and clearly worded so... :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Iretep posted:

if people are really lazy to do a low level invader thing for the wolf curved sword then i can give them out. i think i have a couple of them that ill never use anyway. steam name is the same as my SA name.

i'll take you up on that, thanks! i never use steam so added you as friend

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

I thought you can't invade manually for them and have to be summoned in like a blue cop? and that's always been broken for me

You can't invade manually, but unlike blue cops, who need a host that has the covenant, embered and invaded, the people you invade only need to be embered an in your invasion range (and passing through the zone). Plus multiple dogs can invade a single host.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Iretep posted:

im doing a str/faith hyprid already so more faith weapons makes me happy. though my options were already wolnirs holy sword, mournes great hammer and crusifix of the mad king so i wasnt really asking for more options.

What about lothric's holy sword?

Also tell me about your FTH/STR build.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

• When a white phantom dies during an invasion, the host will now be unable to summon subsequent white phantoms for a certain period of time (this change does not apply to covenant based invasions)

holy gently caress I can't believe they actually changed this. One of the worst things about invading in this game is that cowardly hosts can send a clown car of phantoms after you. Or when you kill their stupid friend, they resummon them 20 seconds later with full health and estus. Now hosts might have to learn to fight rather than roll away and wait for their numbers advantage.

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Its not that great as a faith weapon as it only gets E scaling. I use it on one of my builds and its pretty useful due to a good weapon art and the straight sword phantom range. However if you're looking for a weapon that scales well with faith, its a bad choice.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 10, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
They'll just roll away for longer now

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lakbay posted:

They'll just roll away for longer now

that's where you herd them into mobs or towards a cliff.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Also tell me about your FTH/STR build.

Lothric holy sword takes up too much dex and the build is tight enough already for points. The build is kind of undecided yet on details but its basically focused on co-op stuff like heals and party buffs while at the same time being half decent melee poise able. The build uses Sacred Chime of Filianore for the increased range on all support AOE effects. My end game miracles will be pretty much ranged heal miracle and sacred oath. Heres what ive planned so far: https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/169756 It has 13 points undecided which can go pretty much anywhere really.
The build can eventually use mornes great hammer two handed and the mad king weapon if i put one point in int.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Ah yea. Don't forget the Astora greatsword gets S scaling with faith! I *believe* that inherent lightning weapons like the dragonslayer axe and lothric knight greatsword will also scale with faith, and increase your lightning damage.

The sage ring seems like a waste since that scales with dex, meaning you'll only appreciate faster casting the higher dex you have. You'd probably do better with a Son of the First Born or Mornes ring as those boost miracles.

Also the meta level range has moved from 125 to somewhere in the 140s I think. Unless you're going for that specific range, everyone else who cares moved to the 140s.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 10, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Earthseeker hits as hard as any other great axe with 60 faith. It's legit.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Ah yea. Don't forget the Astora greatsword gets S scaling with faith! I *believe* that inherent lightning weapons like the dragonslayer axe and lothric knight greatsword will also scale with faith, and increase your lightning damage.

Neither of those weapons have inherent faith scaling. They'll only scale with Faith if you infuse them with lightning.

quote:

The sage ring seems like a waste since that scales with dex, meaning you'll only appreciate faster casting the higher dex you have. You'd probably do better with a Son of the First Born or Mornes ring as those boost miracles.

Dex boosts casting speed up to 45, and the Sage Ring counts as an effective 20/25/30 points of dex (depending on which one you have) so it's only worth usingif you have low dex.

quote:

Also the meta level range has moved from 125 to somewhere in the 140s I think. Unless you're going for that specific range, everyone else who cares moved to the 140s.

I haven't been keeping up too closely with the meta but the only business around 140 are those two player-made covenants. Dueling and gank squads are still strongest around 120.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Internet Kraken posted:

holy gently caress I can't believe they actually changed this. One of the worst things about invading in this game is that cowardly hosts can send a clown car of phantoms after you. Or when you kill their stupid friend, they resummon them 20 seconds later with full health and estus. Now hosts might have to learn to fight rather than roll away and wait for their numbers advantage.
Not even 20 seconds sometimes. There were instances where I killed a guy and less than ten seconds later he was being summoned back in. The same loving guy. I mean we were sort of close to a bonfire but not that close. PC load times and dropping your sign immediately plus voice chat I presume.

Good change, probably could've stood to have been a thing a while ago though.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Astora Greatsword requires 18 dex so nope.
Dragonslayer's Axe is actually slightly viable since it only takes 14 dex but eh. It doesent combine well with the STR/faith build since i cant get it to scale well with both very well. Its more ideal for 60 faith buff builds i think where they just keep it raw.
Lothric knight greatsword is 16 dex and im not even sure why im investing into it. Im not aiming for 60 faith so lightning buffing it is a waste of time.
sage ring doesent work like that. im not actually sure if dex even affects healing cast speed, im just assuming so. also im not planning to use offencive miracles and the rings dont affect healing.
I havent been following meta level but i assume its still 125. It might change with all these balance changes, but the aim is still just 125 until i get a confirm on the new meta.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Also what's up with the crow quill nerfs? I literally never saw anyone using them. Not to say the weapon can't be good but usually it has to have some significant online presence to warrant a nerf.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
Hey something weird happened yesterday. A friend and I were co-opping Ringed City and we got down to the swamp area where you find Ornstein and as we walked into the area, a player ran up to us that we didn't summon.

He was a Warrior of Sunlight and I tried attacking him because I thought he was an invader, but I couldn't. It wasn't an NPC either because he kept shaking his shield at me and pointing out secrets and items.

We didn't summon him though, or get a notification that he was being spawned in. It was super weird. Is that just a thing that happens down there?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

samu3lk posted:

Hey something weird happened yesterday. A friend and I were co-opping Ringed City and we got down to the swamp area where you find Ornstein and as we walked into the area, a player ran up to us that we didn't summon.

He was a Warrior of Sunlight and I tried attacking him because I thought he was an invader, but I couldn't. It wasn't an NPC either because he kept shaking his shield at me and pointing out secrets and items.

We didn't summon him though, or get a notification that he was being spawned in. It was super weird. Is that just a thing that happens down there?

That's the boss invasion mechanic. They invade as a white/purple phantom. You can get rid of them with the black crystal. Of course if they are being nice that's fine too, but it tends not to last.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Either a bug where the invader turned into a summon (not sure if that can even happen anymore) or a hacker who did the whole invade as a summoned guy because he wanted to force helping people.

Edit:

hanales posted:

That's the boss invasion mechanic. They invade as a white/purple phantom. You can get rid of them with the black crystal. Of course if they are being nice that's fine too, but it tends not to last.

I think if that was the case then the host should have been able to attack him.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Iretep posted:

Either a bug where the invader turned into a summon (not sure if that can even happen anymore) or a hacker who did the whole invade as a summoned guy because he wanted to force helping people.

Edit:

I think if that was the case then the host should have been able to attack him.

If they don't have mound makers equipped they invade as a white phantom.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Node posted:

So uh, I was just summoned as a blue spirit to help two host of embers. The red phantom comes out, and after taking some hits, does the stance-R1 attack for the Old Wolf Greatsword. It instantly takes us from full health to zero. I'm guessing that is a cheater unless there is some way to do that ridiculous amount of damage? He didn't have low enough health to have the red tear ring active or anything. I have about 1200 health.

i'm actually curious how the gently caress this happened. i've been using the wolf sword this afternoon and am like 2-13 with it, with a few solo wins. against any group i just get chain staggered and killed with no way out of the staggers. this is running heavyish armor instead of flynn's ring, but god drat. especially against twin greatsword users that have buddies it's effectively impossible - i don't spit out the dps needed and when they recover it's all over

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

i'm actually curious how the gently caress this happened. i've been using the wolf sword this afternoon and am like 2-13 with it, with a few solo wins. against any group i just get chain staggered and killed with no way out of the staggers. this is running heavyish armor instead of flynn's ring, but god drat. especially against twin greatsword users that have buddies it's effectively impossible - i don't spit out the dps needed and when they recover it's all over

My guess is that that invader was running a hyper mode build. Low health to get Red Tearstone Ring and possibly Morion Blade buffs. That's usually the answer if you take way more damage than you ought to be from an invader.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Did the name engraved ring in ds2 prevent invaders or was it just low player base (the past month or so) that prevented so many invasions?

I've been having an awesome time playing co-op ds2 with friends and we rarely had invaders in the entire playthrough. In ds3 it seems like there are guaranteed to be at least two invasions per area and it's really getting annoying.

I guess that's considered a "fix" to most players who enjoy pvp but I really think the invaders just make the game more rage inducing and turns off plenty of players like me who just want to get through the game with the already difficult pve challenges.

Yeah, I know... "get gud" etc...

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Getting invaded in ds2 was like winning the lottery even back at the best of times. Best way to get invaded was to infact become a wretch through invading and have blue cops be a constant pain in your rear end instead. And no, name ring doesent reduce invasions as far as im aware.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Name engraved ring did not prevent invasions. You could roll unembered or with summons if you're having trouble.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

MMF Freeway posted:

Name engraved ring did not prevent invasions. You could roll unembered or with summons if you're having trouble.

Yeah the first time I played ds3 I had to play offline to prevent it but I got to old demon king/boreal valley and couldn't get much further on my own so restarted playing co-op with friends this time thinking it would be easier. Losing half your estus and being constantly invaded makes it even more challenging in some aspects.

I just assumed the name engraved ring would prevent invasions unless they were wearing the same name.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So I heard that for most purposes except huge weapon swing hyper armor, poise essentially does not exist in this game. But I also heard that the latest patch changed poise. Is it back? If i put on Havel's armor will I get bitchslapped by a broken sword hollow?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So I heard that for most purposes except huge weapon swing hyper armor, poise essentially does not exist in this game. But I also heard that the latest patch changed poise. Is it back? If i put on Havel's armor will I get bitchslapped by a broken sword hollow?

It increased poise values/effectiveness, but you're still not getting any significant benefit from ultraheavy armor as far as I know.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Genocyber posted:

My guess is that that invader was running a hyper mode build. Low health to get Red Tearstone Ring and possibly Morion Blade buffs. That's usually the answer if you take way more damage than you ought to be from an invader.

He didn't have low enough health for the red tearstone to be active. He did the stance-R1 attack, the one where you swing the blade in a circle low to the ground a couple times. It killed all three of us in one swing. So either he had the perfect setup, or was cheating, since none of his other attacks hurt so much. If he wasn't cheating, which I'll give him the benefit of the doubt of, that is just silly.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

poise now works with weapons. some weapons have poise frames in their attacks. if youre just standing around then anything will bitchslap you like normal. basically if you want to poise through attacks then going maximum poise is worth it. for builds that cant use poise, armor isnt worth it beyond defence.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Orv posted:

It increased poise values/effectiveness, but you're still not getting any significant benefit from ultraheavy armor as far as I know.

It worked well enough for me on my last playthrough, for both PvE and PvP purposes.

Stacking resistances past ~35% makes a noticeable difference in how much damage you take. With seriously heavy armor like Catarina/Exile/Black Iron/Winged Knight stuff and a +3 Ring of Steel Protection, you can get your phys resistances up to 44%.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The concise description of how it works is:
  • Every weapon in the game has hyper armor frames, with certain weapons having more or less hyper armor frames depending on their type.
  • During hyper armor frames, you have a set amount of Poise (which differs depending on the weapon, whether it's being one-handed or two-handed, and what attack you're using), which works just like in the previous games: if the Poise meter runs out during the hyper armor frames, then your attack is interrupted.
  • Different weapons deal a different amount of Poise damage per hit.
  • The Poise stat acts as a modifier to this Poise meter, multiplying it by a certain amount. Effectively this means that it will take more hits to stagger you out of the same swing with the same weapon if you have 30 Poise vs. 1 Poise.
The weapons where hyper armor frames are most noticeable with only a meager amount of Poise (say, 10-20) are great hammers, ultra greatswords, greataxes, and halberds. With more Poise, you'll start to see better interrupt resistance for two-handing weapons like straight swords, hammers, and axes. You're pretty much never going to see interrupt resist with light weapons like the rapier or any kind of dagger.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I'm going to complete the NG endgame checklist, before I move onto NG+, which I haven't done beforein ds3. I just want to know, do people usually keep on leveling or stick to sl120 or thereabouts in NG+? Also, how will my heavy claymore +10 fare in NG+? I feel it was fairly weak even in TRC, but my hyper VIT/END build got me through Gael. Will definitely change that up before NG+, into what i just don't know. Pyromancy or Sorcery prbably, since I've never tried those at all.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 10, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

quote:

Reduced the effectiveness of "Carthus Bloodring"
:eyepop:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Is running a full Sorcery caster even remotely worthwhile in NG++? I'm trying to figure out how to make this work because 60 INT is a big enough investment--is the only way to get any sort of mileage out of this to sacrifice my ring slots, my helmet, and keep swapping to the Scholar's Candlestick whenever I'm wanting to let a spell fly?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Time_pants posted:

Is running a full Sorcery caster even remotely worthwhile in NG++? I'm trying to figure out how to make this work because 60 INT is a big enough investment--is the only way to get any sort of mileage out of this to sacrifice my ring slots, my helmet, and keep swapping to the Scholar's Candlestick whenever I'm wanting to let a spell fly?

It's fairly worthwhile, yeah. With all the damage/casting bonuses you can poo poo on most enemies before they can even come close to you, which is fairly cathartic.

This dude did an ng+ playthrough as a pure sorcerer if you want to see how effective it is in action (not accounting for the candlestick nerf).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its really fun waiting an hour to get summoned for the Spears and then getting stomped by another gank squad :geno:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It was a mistake to put the boss summon pvp in a non mandatory path you can only access at endgame imo

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Midir is way too hard to gate the spears behind

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
:3:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Making it difficult to get into Spears isn't a bad idea by itself, it means that there won't be a glut of invaders relative to invadees at first. However because of where the fight is located not many people are going to be doing it once the initial rush of players ends, so over time it amounts to the same thing: if you do the fight you have a pretty good chance of running into a Spear, but as a Spear you have a pretty good chance of waiting around till you're old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I've been helping people punk Midir with pestilent mercury if they summon more than me. Just smacking him in the face becomes a 2 hour battle of attrition when you have 3 people running around. But with the spears nerf I'm wondering if it's worth it.