Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

So I just hate Ward (I mean, I loved to hate Ward, but I hate him) and will never accept any kind of "good guy" Ward. I'll be the rear end in a top hat constantly fighting against the thread tide because drat that crazy, psycho, evil fucker just because NOW his crazy, psycho obsession is Daisy/Skye.

But I don't really get why anyone would want "Good Guy Ward" as a LMD since that's the guy who sucked and the one everyone likes is "Crazy Villain Ward." If a LMD Ward escaped and then went evil (because that is his true nature) over rejection by Daisy or something that I'd accept even if I'd still curse his name. But a "good" Ward in SHIELD? Icky and boring.

This show is reeeeally good at skipping tropes. There are a half dozen people on the team that would outright reject/destroy LMD Ward on the spot, especially because even if he is "good" the AI injected into the LMD is literally a duplicate image of an evil person created by an evil AI tainted by evil magic. There's just no good reason to have that lying around.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

PierreTheMime posted:

This show is reeeeally good at skipping tropes. There are a half dozen people on the team that would outright reject/destroy LMD Ward on the spot, especially because even if he is "good" the AI injected into the LMD is literally a duplicate image of an evil person created by an evil AI tainted by evil magic. There's just no good reason to have that lying around.

So, you follow the Mack school of dealing with sentient robots?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I feel comforted that Jemma just saw "same old backstabbing Ward" and not "oh, he's a good guy here." And there's no way I'll accept that Daisy would EVER feel comfortable working alongside ANY Ward and if they try and make her chill on this one I'll probably throw some kind of fit in here. Caulson too, probably. Hell, May too. And loving Fitz, of course. Even if the LMD Ward was some 100% good and benign fantasy version he's still based off the guy who hosed all them over in unforgivable ways and wearing his face.

Hell, its creepier if he's based off of the fake person Ward pretended to be to gain all their trust before loving them over in a million ways.

I will accept LMD Ward making it out of the Framework only for Mack to gun-axe his head off only for everyone else to be annoyed that he got to kill him when they all had so much more motivation.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

STAC Goat posted:

I will accept LMD Ward making it out of the Framework only for Mack to gun-axe his head off only for everyone else to be annoyed that he got to kill him when they all had so much more motivation.

The finale involving a race between the SHIELD team to murk lmd Ward would be pretty good.

I like the idea that lmd mace wins.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I have to say I secretly want Mack to die from all this but come back as the one true good LMD to have his insurance policy pay-out fund SHIELD for decades.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

If somebody were to die, I'd guess it would be Mace, either to stay in the Framework or to come back as a LMD. He is the most uncomfortable with what and where he is now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In hindsight, you're right that Mace is the right guy to kill LMD Ward because he's the only person with no actual experience with villain Ward so it would be the funniest possibility.

In the end the more I think of it the more I just take comfort in Jemma being so stubborn and resolute in her "they've always been Nazis, every last one of them" approach to this bs moral grey area. She shall lead the charge against the false redemption stories. Her and Mack's fear of the Terminator movies.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

homullus posted:

If somebody were to die, I'd guess it would be Mace, either to stay in the Framework or to come back as a LMD. He is the most uncomfortable with what and where he is now.

Mace is probably the only one (real person) who knows frameward as a good guy. He'd be the guy on the team saying, "hey, this dude's not so bad." and everyone else would be in to murder the bot.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

kayakyakr posted:

Mace is probably the only one (real person) who knows frameward as a good guy. He'd be the guy on the team saying, "hey, this dude's not so bad." and everyone else would be in to murder the bot.

Nah. LMD Ward manages to win everyone over. Even Daisy. Even Mack. Then Mace shows up and chops Ward's head off without a word. Then, while everyone is staring at him in horror:

"What? He's a bad guy! I've read the file!"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

But I don't really get why anyone would want "Good Guy Ward" as a LMD since that's the guy who sucked and the one everyone likes is "Crazy Villain Ward." If a LMD Ward escaped and then went evil (because that is his true nature) over rejection by Daisy or something that I'd accept even if I'd still curse his name. But a "good" Ward in SHIELD? Icky and boring.

I liked Good Guy Ward. He never bored me at all.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

Plus, an LMD is pretty close to the powerset he's widely believed to have, so it would actually make his life less complicated. He's already got a secret, now he'll have the powers, a secret, and be an awesome robot.

Plus, he could be like a good-guy Dr Doom. It's always a Mace-bot

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

I think LMD Mace would be a boring way to go, to be honest, but I do love the idea of LMD Mack. It would be a great payoff for his over the top fear of robots.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I feel comforted that Jemma just saw "same old backstabbing Ward" and not "oh, he's a good guy here." And there's no way I'll accept that Daisy would EVER feel comfortable working alongside ANY Ward and if they try and make her chill on this one I'll probably throw some kind of fit in here. Caulson too, probably. Hell, May too. And loving Fitz, of course. Even if the LMD Ward was some 100% good and benign fantasy version he's still based off the guy who hosed all them over in unforgivable ways and wearing his face.

This got me to thinking that I could get behind 'Good' LMD Ward if he wasn't accepted by anyone, was constantly being hunted down, but tried to be a hero anyway. That's how a lot of superhero stories go (think Spider-Man or X-Men) and it could totally work.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Yakmouth posted:

This got me to thinking that I could get behind 'Good' LMD Ward if he wasn't accepted by anyone, was constantly being hunted down, but tried to be a hero anyway. That's how a lot of superhero stories go (think Spider-Man or X-Men) and it could totally work.

The Incredible Hulk is probably the most iconic one. It would be a cool random scene to show Ward playing this in his room:

http://youtu.be/EU8QVifSPmU

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

How the hell did I not think of Hulk??

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

nelson posted:

The Incredible Hulk is probably the most iconic one. It would be a cool random scene to show Ward playing this in his room:

http://youtu.be/EU8QVifSPmU

The after credit scene for the S4 finale would be LMD Ward hitchhiking down a country road. A car looks like it's going to pass by and ignore before swerving at the last minute hitting him, inside the car Coulson adjusts the review mirror before throwing it in reverse and backing over Ward. The sad hitchhiking song from The Incredible Hulk is playing through all of this.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

STAC Goat posted:

In the end the more I think of it the more I just take comfort in Jemma being so stubborn and resolute in her "they've always been Nazis, every last one of them" approach to this bs moral grey area.

I am comforted that the episode answered any "well Hydra IS protecting against what the world sees as an actual threat here" doubts with "and here's Fitz Mengele".

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I don't know, I'm not really seeing Ward here as "good Ward" so much as "face Ward". Like, he isn't someone who's going to regret anything he's done, and he's certainly capable of and responsible for a dollar store receipt's worth of atrocities. But he's not exactly ideologically evil, either; he's so invested in his own sense of fulfillment that he'll work the side most convenient without ever actually changing from being this inherently reprehensible Kain Highwind archetype.

That is to say, regardless of what they do with him, I'll probably be alright with it. If he becomes an LMD or it comes up in the framework, then if there's a schism over whether to trust him, he'll just bounce, because it won't be convenient for him to work the good guy angle. It's less a question of whether Ward can be redeemed and more a question of whether SHIELD would be willing to employ him as a glorified gun.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Simmons has owned for a very long time now.
Yeah I've really loved Simmons since the start of Season 2 when she was a mole in Hydra.

irlZaphod posted:

So is Simmons going to be digging herself out of her grave, Buffy-style? :zombie:

:perfect:

This is totally cool.

I loved that episode, I think I missed loads of stuff in it though (didn't see the Hydra statue in the lobby, I don't think?) It's incredible how this show has turned around from Season 1, but at the same time it really is just building on plots from then. I think it's been a pretty fantastic bit of television. I really hope we get a Season 5.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 10, 2017

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

didn't see the Hydra statue in the lobby, I don't think?

How could you have missed it? It was gorgeous. Like gently caress Hydra for being a bunch of nazis, but I legit want that statue.

Edit: while google image searching that I found that apparently SHIELD had a similar lobby statue

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
If you had told me halfway through S1 that nerdy scientist lady would turn out to be the most awesome and comparatively badass agent of the lot, I would have laughed in your face. LAUGHED.

Yet here we are. Gemma Simmons is ace. Surviving on alien planets, going undercover in Hydra, stabbing the poo poo out of robot boyfriends, digging herself out of the grave to shittalk VR Nazis, the works. I'll take her over any of the Netflix bunch.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Both the stereotypically nerdy scientist characters turned out to be consistently badass.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yeah, didn't Fitz stab someone in the hand with a pencil earlier this season?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yeah, didn't Fitz stab someone in the hand with a pencil earlier this season?

That's, like, one of the least badass things he's done since the first season.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Fitz best moment is his invisible gun.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

hangedman1984 posted:

How could you have missed it? It was gorgeous. Like gently caress Hydra for being a bunch of nazis, but I legit want that statue.

Edit: while google image searching that I found that apparently SHIELD had a similar lobby statue

Hey, Branding is important!

I doubt anyone from the Framework will make it out. Good Guy Ward would probably sacrifice himself to help Jemma and Daisy escape. "I'm not real so i'm not really dying to you, but I can't let you die" or something else. like that.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The after credit scene for the S4 finale would be LMD Ward hitchhiking down a country road. A car looks like it's going to pass by and ignore before swerving at the last minute hitting him, inside the car Coulson adjusts the review mirror before throwing it in reverse and backing over Ward. The sad hitchhiking song from The Incredible Hulk is playing through all of this.

:perfect:

(Except it can't be Coulson's Corvette or an obvious SHIELD SUV because that would give it away.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

twistedmentat posted:

Hey, Branding is important!

I doubt anyone from the Framework will make it out. Good Guy Ward would probably sacrifice himself to help Jemma and Daisy escape. "I'm not real so i'm not really dying to you, but I can't let you die" or something else. like that.

Yeah, I'm not really counting on any LMD's getting out because someone would have to build them a LMD. As best as I can remember all the LMD's are dead now. I mean, Aida could build a Ward LMD but why?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm not really counting on any LMD's getting out because someone would have to build them a LMD. As best as I can remember all the LMD's are dead now. I mean, Aida could build a Ward LMD but why?

We don't know what's going on outside the Framework, Aida could be building an army. We also don't know that the remaining LMDs at the Shield base were destroyed, LmdFitz might be programming the army of Daisy's right now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, but why would Aida be building a dead ex-SHIELD agent who the entire intelligence world recognizes as a psycho killer, double agent, and Inhuman death cult god?

I mean, I'm sure they could come up with a reason if they really wanted to but I'll be damned if I can think of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, but why would Aida be building a dead ex-SHIELD agent who the entire intelligence world recognizes as a psycho killer, double agent, and Inhuman death cult god?

I mean, I'm sure they could come up with a reason if they really wanted to but I'll be damned if I can think of it.

She built the Superior his own LMD body, she might decide that Ward could be useful in the real world.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rhyno posted:

We don't know what's going on outside the Framework, Aida could be building an army. We also don't know that the remaining LMDs at the Shield base were destroyed, LmdFitz might be programming the army of Daisy's right now.

I hope they weren't, there was still a ton of human shield agents passed out on the ground in the base.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They're redshirts. They knew the risk.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
waiiiiiit a second so Jemma was thrown in a mass grave and then they stuck a Jemma Simmons headstone on it? SOMETHING DOESN'T ADD UP HERE

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think there was a headstone where she dug out so either she was thrown in a mass grave and her family just buried an empty coffin or they only thought of the logistics of Jemma getting herself out of a sealed coffin 6 feet deep between episodes.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt and go with the first one.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Tree Dude posted:

waiiiiiit a second so Jemma was thrown in a mass grave and then they stuck a Jemma Simmons headstone on it? SOMETHING DOESN'T ADD UP HERE

Hydra mass killed everyone at Shield and just buried them in a big grave. Then they probably had some cover story about how suddenly all these shield agents are dead... Oopsie. Headstone is probably something her family did. But isn't where she is actually rested.

Efb

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
makes sense! :thumbsup:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Hydra spares no expense on their cover stories.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well, they apparently have fascist control so apparently all they had to do was throw bodies into a mass grave, fence off the area, punish anyone who steps foot near it, and make up a story in the one state run newspaper everyone gets all their news from.

Maybe Jemma's parents are in the UK getting real press and waiting for the secret to come out about what the fascist government did to their daughter.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
A shallow mass grave and animals didn't get them. You'd think being nazis they'd know a thing or two about getting rid of bodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Clearly Hydra murdered all the woodland creatures of extra evil points.

To be honest, I'm a little confused as to why Jemma's body wasn't decomposed like her grave-mate. I'm not clear why Aida gave her an intact body at all instead of just writing her as vaporized.

But comic book, so I'll move past it.

• Locked thread