Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Keep in mind too that Marvel and DC have basically drawn on the same talent pool since day 1.

Lurdiak posted:

I remember one time this guy came into BSS and was like "DC is so much better at dealing with real life issues than Marvel!" and I was like :stare:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rhyno posted:

Part of what drew me to Guy is that brash dickishness. Him being a massive dick but still always wanting to do the right thing sets him apart from most other heroes.

That is kind of his appeal for me as well. He's kind of the "before" picture of a hero. He's Spider-man before Uncle Ben is shot, or Thor before he's forced into the body of an invalid. Except the only person he ever really seems to let down or have to live up to is himself. And he thinks he's awesome

Lurdiak posted:

I remember one time this guy came into BSS and was like "DC is so much better at dealing with real life issues than Marvel!" and I was like :stare:

Real life issues like sudden violent limb loss.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lightning Lord posted:

Keep in mind too that Marvel and DC have basically drawn on the same talent pool since day 1.

lol

That's not really true, the first almost decade of Marvel was just Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko bouncing ideas off each other. I know Kirby worked for DC eventually, but those three are more tied into the DNA of Marvel than anyone else and I don't think there's anyone with the equivalent legacy at DC. Simon and Schuster and Kane and Finger, maybe.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

That's not really true, the first almost decade of Marvel was just Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko bouncing ideas off each other. I know Kirby worked for DC eventually, but those three are more tied into the DNA of Marvel than anyone else and I don't think there's anyone with the equivalent legacy at DC. Simon and Schuster and Kane and Finger, maybe.

Yeah good point. "Day 1" was probably a bad way to put it, more like after the Kirby/Ditko period. But my point was that people acting like DC and Marvel are totally different and never the twain shall meet are silly as gently caress. However, some creators did work for both, even back then - Gil Kane, for example.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CzarChasm posted:

That is kind of his appeal for me as well. He's kind of the "before" picture of a hero. He's Spider-man before Uncle Ben is shot, or Thor before he's forced into the body of an invalid. Except the only person he ever really seems to let down or have to live up to is himself. And he thinks he's awesome

I'm one who adores his yellow ring era because of what a show-boating jerk he was. And the johns retcon for the G-jacket is the best.

it stands for Girl-Magnet

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Julie Schwartz maybe, at least from the Silver Age onward.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

The best retcon is Alan Moore revealing that Swamp Thing is an elemental, not really Alec Holland. Hands down.

Are you sure it wasn't Spiderman's marriage being nulled? (is it still a retcon if there's a really bad story explanation attached?)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Selachian posted:

Julie Schwartz maybe, at least from the Silver Age onward.

Possibly Mort Weisinger too.

Maybe Whitney Ellsworth?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

John Broome and Gardner Fox for sure. Probably Robert Kanigher too.

Jordan7hm posted:

Are you sure it wasn't Spiderman's marriage being nulled? (is it still a retcon if there's a really bad story explanation attached?)

:yikes:

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 10, 2017

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Jordan7hm posted:

Are you sure it wasn't Spiderman's marriage being nulled?

No it loving well was not.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Morrison's "What if Weapon X meant Weapon 10" was pretty cool.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Elektra being an old flame of Daredevil was also a cool retcon.

Agreed that Tim Drake gets the short end of reboots is also true, as his origin story was perfect but now who the hell knows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Retro Futurist posted:

Eh.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

That just seems like it was inspired by Alan Moore's "V" meaning 5.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Retro Futurist posted:

It was apparently cool enough for someone at DC to do the same thing for Task Force X!

:negative:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Retro Futurist posted:

That is probably the genesis of my love for Morrison.

Also, have to second Rhyno on Guy with the yellow ring, and how Geoff Johns used him. Just reminded me he put a Michigan sticker on his lantern.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What's the deal with Hickman's SHIELD? Is it ever going to be finished, and would I be annoyed if I read it in its current form but never got a conclusion?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What's the deal with Hickman's SHIELD? Is it ever going to be finished, and would I be annoyed if I read it in its current form but never got a conclusion?

It's still pretty cool, even though it retcons Galactus's first visit to Earth. :rant:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's no story anyway, so a conclusion isn't really going to make much of a difference.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think Hickman made some vague noises about finishing it a couple of months ago on Twitter, for whatever that's worth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

I think Hickman made some vague noises about finishing it a couple of months ago on Twitter, for whatever that's worth.

I think he was just trolling people because he said something along the lines of "It's finished, but will be delayed one week for every response demanding to know when it comes out."

Unmature
May 9, 2008

prefect posted:

It's still pretty cool, even though it retcons Galactus's first visit to Earth. :rant:

What did it change?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Unmature posted:

What did it change?

Instead of Galactus first coming to Earth and being met by the Fantastic Four, it adds at least one earlier appearance, where some old scientist guy chased him off with an antique laser. Maybe Leonardo da Vinci, maybe Archimedes. :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I mean, you can find stories going back to at least 2014 about him having turned in the last script, so really who knows what the holdup is at this point. I'm assuming Marvel just realized no one cares anymore.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm still waiting for them to do a "What if the X-Men are actually the 10 Men?" story

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm still waiting for them to do a "What if the X-Men are actually the 10 Men?" story

Madrox had a mini.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I guess the Tenmen would be a marvel/achewood crossover

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Madrox had a mini.

LoL.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skwirl posted:

Madrox had a mini.

Don't you mean "Madroten"?

I'll show myself out.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rhyno posted:

I'm one who adores his yellow ring era because of what a show-boating jerk he was. And the johns retcon for the G-jacket is the best.

it stands for Girl-Magnet

GM Gardner! *Cult of Personality plays*

Madkal posted:

Elektra being an old flame of Daredevil was also a cool retcon.

Agreed that Tim Drake gets the short end of reboots is also true, as his origin story was perfect but now who the hell knows.

Tim gets the worst middle child syndrome. All the old stuff was about Dick. All the new stuff is about Damian. Jason is dead.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
One of the better side effects of DC's recent spate of reality rewrites is that Jason was never dead now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

One of the better side effects of DC's recent spate of reality rewrites is that Jason was never dead now.

I'm pretty sure he was still dead he just got Lazarus Pit'd. Or did they change that?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

SonicRulez posted:

Tim gets the worst middle child syndrome.

So that's why he's my favourite.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

CapnAndy posted:

Are you sure because he still brings it up every other sentence

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Boom! has that license right now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

purple death ray posted:

Are you sure because he still brings it up every other sentence
I was pretty sure? I thought the Joker just beat him up really bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

I was pretty sure? I thought the Joker just beat him up really bad.

In the new issue he says he died.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

In the new issue he says he died.
Goddammit. I really did think they'd retconned it. Or maybe they did and nobody's keeping it straight, I choose to blame DC for my own mistake.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I blame you for talking about Jason Todd in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I like Hal Jordan for two reasons:

1) Challenge of the Superfriends

2) Super Powers Action Figure