Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008

Metalshark posted:

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN & SILK: THE SPIDER(FLY) EFFECT miniseries/Infinite comic, depending on your preference.

Thanks, I've liked some of the Silk appearances I've read, I'll check this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

I bought the omnibus of the first Superman comics (a good 300 or 400+ pages' worth) on Comixology and it's a loving trip. Along with lacking many of his famous powers (he's only able to leap 10 stories, run faster than a locomotive, and hold up a bridge to keep a train from falling into a canyon), he deals with some of the most boring and normal crimes he can find.

One issue is dedicated to him finding out that a university football coach has hired some thugs as football players to beat the opposing team at the big game so he can keep his job, so Superman kidnaps the other team's benchwarmer and impersonates him on the field so he can single-handedly defeat the goons. He almost ruins his own plan when he gets in a pissing contest with one of the players on his team and hurls him into a locker.

The first full issue has him finding out that a corrupt senator is colluding with weapons manufacturers to start a war in South/Central America and make a profit, so he kidnaps the senator and dresses both of them up as soldiers so he can force him to fight in the war and see how terrible it is so he'll become a pacifist.

One of the very first (THE first after the introduction strip) Superman newspaper comic strips, written and drawn by the original two, has him LITERALLY saying "Nice bank you have here, it'd be a shame if something were to...happen to it." to the bank's owner as he held a giant safe over his head because the bank refused to give a loan to a struggling farmer. Superman, as originally intended, was simply a guy to fight bullies. He wasn't meant to punch super powered giants with hemophilia (their veins "thirsting for blood" ) as he did later, he was just there to stand up to the little guy because he wasn't afraid of the mob's guns, or your boss's threats. So that's what he did for the longest time: cling to the top of telephone poles like a koala looking for jerks of ANY type so he could jump down like super big brother and use his powers to do what's right.

It's a real shame we don't have any heroes like that nowadays, the guy who will bend the rules to do what's right, it's easy to look back with hindsight and say "No, Superman would TOTALLY help the colonies in 1776" but no, Superman of today would have blindly enforced the status quo. The original Superman would have punched King George. It's the Spiderman 3 problem: he stops an armored car from being robbed but how are we supposed to root for that when we know it is being robbed so the "bad guy" can pay for a life saving operation for his daughter (who, by the way, is immediately forgotten, she may be dead but at least Spiderman prevented that bank from having to fill out extra paperwork and some insurance company somewhere from having to reimburse the armored car company and/or bank. Heavens to Betsy a multi millionaire bank exec may have had to cancel his tee time!!)

There's a parallel Earth episode of the Justice League where Superman kills President Luthor and then declares martial law over all the Earth with the help of the Justice League, this is shown as going "too far" when Green Lantern and Wonder Woman violently break up a protest against the JL but how is that any different than normal? They are enforcers of the status quo whether they are in charge of the status quo or not. They are basically tools of the establishment without the paycheck. Sometimes the status is not quo but how can that ever change with these super fools taking it upon themselves to "maintain order"? Yeah you must follow the law, but the law must be just. Would Superman of today be flying along the border on orders from president Trump heaving Mexicans with cantaloupe sized calf muscles back? I believe he would. The Superman of yesterday would punch Trump. Yesterday Superman was Truth and Justice, Today Superman is "Hey now, let's not make waves". How can society evolve with such a tight block on it?

Which brings me to my point: we must kill Superman now before it's too late.

Duke Igthorn fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 10, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Duke Igthorn posted:

One of the very first Superman newspaper comic strips, written and drawn by the original two, has him LITERALLY saying "Nice bank you have here, it'd be a shame if something were to...happen to it." to the bank's owner as he held a giant safe over his head because the bank refused to give a loan to a struggling farmer. Superman, as originally intended, was simply a guy to fight bullies. He wasn't meant to punch super powered giants with hemophilia (their veins "thirsting for blood" ) as he did later, he was just there to stand up to the little guy because he wasn't afraid of the mob's guns, or your boss's threats. So that's what he did for the longest time: cling to the top of telephone poles like a koala looking for jerks of ANY type so he could jump down like super big brother and use his powers to do what's right.

It's a real shame we don't have any heroes like that nowadays, the guy who will bend the rules to do what's right, it's easy to look back with hindsight and say "No, Superman would TOTALLY help the colonies in 1776" but no, Superman of today would have blindly enforced the status quo. The original Superman would have punched King George. It's the Spiderman 3 problem: he stops an armored car from being robbed but how are we supposed to root for that when we know it is being robbed so the "bad guy" can pay for a life saving operation for his daughter (who, by the way, is immediately forgotten, she may be dead but at least Spiderman prevented that bank from having to fill out extra paperwork and some insurance company somewhere from having to reimburse the armored car company and/or bank. Heavens to Betsy a multi millionaire bank exec may have had to cancel his tee time!!)

There's a parallel Earth episode of the Justice League where Superman kills President Luthor and then declares martial law over all the Earth with the help of the Justice League, this is shown as going "too far" when Green Lantern and Wonder Woman violently break up a protest against the JL but how is that any different than normal? They are enforcers of the status quo whether they are in charge of the status quo or not. They are basically tools of the establishment without the paycheck. Sometimes the status is not quo but how can that ever change with these super fools taking it upon themselves to "maintain order"? Yeah you must follow the law, but the law must be just. Would Superman of today be flying along the border on orders from president Trump heaving Mexicans with cantaloupe sized calf muscles back? I believe he would. The Superman of yesterday would punch Trump. Yesterday Superman was Truth and Justice, Today Superman is "Hey now, let's not make waves". How can society evolve with such a tight block on it?

Which brings me to my point: we must kill Superman now before it's too late.

Sir, this is a McDonald's drive thru

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

And in all seriousness if you believe that stuff you said about modern day Superman you should maybe read a Superman comic other than that one where he walks across America being a dick to everyone

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Duke Igthorn posted:

Would Superman of today be flying along the border on orders from president Trump heaving Mexicans with cantaloupe sized calf muscles back? I believe he would.

You'd be pretty dumb to think this considering modern-day Superman literally had a story where he went and supported Arab Spring and renounced his American citizenship among other things.

Superman doesn't become a totalitarian dictator who overthrows governments but outside of like The Dark Knight Returns he's very rarely going "Welp it's the law you're an illegal alien so gently caress you" and in TDKR it was an explicit plot point he was a government stooge. He absolutely is more status quo than anarchist symbol but that was true even at the start.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, old school Superman threatened a bank to help a guy get a loan, he didn't dismantle the very concept of banking and a capital-based economy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ImpAtom posted:

Superman doesn't become a totalitarian dictator who overthrows governments but outside of like The Dark Knight Returns he's very rarely going "Welp it's the law you're an illegal alien so gently caress you" and in TDKR it was an explicit plot point he was a government stooge. He absolutely is more status quo than anarchist symbol but that was true even at the start.

Didn't Lex and/or Brainiac have hostages they were using to force Superman to do what they wanted?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

You'd be pretty dumb to think this considering modern-day Superman literally had a story where he went and supported Arab Spring and renounced his American citizenship among other things.

And modern day Superman had a story where he landed in the Soviet Union and used his super powers to spy on ordinary citizens and helped the SU become a super power. He also intervened in WWII and once destroyed an entire country because of a single terrorist attack on Metropolis. What gives him that right?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Duke Igthorn posted:

And modern day Superman had a story where he landed in the Soviet Union and used his super powers to spy on ordinary citizens and helped the SU become a super power.

Man, it's almost like the point of that storyline was that Superman isn't inherently good, but rather was taught to use his gifts in a moral fashion by his upbringing. Who'da thunk?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Someone literally using an Elseworlds story to debate the personality of a character as portrayed in modern day comics is a new one

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, old school Superman threatened a bank to help a guy get a loan, he didn't dismantle the very concept of banking and a capital-based economy.

Well there's a missed opportunity.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

To be fair if you had a literally invulnerable super alien threatening to crush bankers because they were kind of poo poo, you might see some rapid reform in the banking industry based on the fear they would be straight-up murdered.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ashcans posted:

To be fair if you had a literally invulnerable super alien threatening to crush bankers because they were kind of poo poo, you might see some rapid reform in the banking industry based on the fear they would be straight-up murdered.

I think it's more likely you'd simply create a generation of cleverer, more devious bankers.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ashcans posted:

As I understand it this is sort of how FDR got the New Deal passed because the bankers preferred to give a little back rather than being eaten by starving migrant workers

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

purple death ray posted:

Someone literally using an Elseworlds story to debate the personality of a character as portrayed in modern day comics is a new one
Oh I'm sorry, is "The Incident" that he's citing in continuity? Oh it's officially not? Are there any other rules that apply to me and me alone?

Keeshhound posted:

Man, it's almost like the point of that storyline was that Superman isn't inherently good, but rather was taught to use his gifts in a moral fashion by his upbringing. Who'da thunk?
"Good" and "moral" being subjective of course which is my entire point: Superman's "good" and "moral" acts are defined by the status quo. Yes Superman keeps the piece and everything is hunky dory and no big bad revolution rises up and gets people killed God bless Superman and God bless good King George.

ImpAtom posted:

He absolutely is more status quo than anarchist symbol but that was true even at the start.
And who's talking about "anarchy"? The opposite of "status quo" is NOT "anarchy". What Rosa Parks did was illegal, what Harriet Tubman did was illegal, they opposed the status quo were they advocating for anarchy too? Hilariously enough that's what their opponents claimed but that doesn't make it true.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Red Son also ends with "Maybe Monarchy is cool and good" so he technically isn't the status quo there either.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
What are you even arguing at this point? Until you can point to an actual, existing issue of a comic book wherein Superman lauds Donald Trump or expresses solidarity with his anti-immigrant and anti-refugee ideals, you're just peddling some kind of weird strawman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Duke Igthorn posted:

Oh I'm sorry, is "The Incident" that he's citing in continuity? Oh it's officially not? Are there any other rules that apply to me and me alone?

"Good" and "moral" being subjective of course which is my entire point: Superman's "good" and "moral" acts are defined by the status quo. Yes Superman keeps the piece and everything is hunky dory and no big bad revolution rises up and gets people killed God bless Superman and God bless good King George.

And who's talking about "anarchy"? The opposite of "status quo" is NOT "anarchy". What Rosa Parks did was illegal, what Harriet Tubman did was illegal, they opposed the status quo were they advocating for anarchy too? Hilariously enough that's what their opponents claimed but that doesn't make it true.

What are you even arguing? Are you a crazy person?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm a crazy person and I'm not sure what we're talking about either.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think that dude's just broken by Trump getting elected.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I mean yeah I would love if superheroes were a little less pro-establishment, and if Superman had less bullshit excuses to not right wrongs on the societal level instead of just stopping bank robbers, but sheesh, there's a limit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Superman can't stop societal ills for the same reason Joker can't stay in prison (and Batman can't kill him). Arguing for it otherwise is just arguing against ongoing, serialized comics. Which is a perfectly fine thing to argue against, but pretending like DC or Marvel will ever move away from that is really quixotic.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

What are you even arguing? Are you a crazy person?
I never get enough of the people who squeal "I don't understand!!!" like their ignorance is someone else's problem. "I'm stupid and can't understand this concept therefore I win!!"

Endless Mike posted:

Superman can't stop societal ills for the same reason Joker can't stay in prison (and Batman can't kill him). Arguing for it otherwise is just arguing against ongoing, serialized comics. Which is a perfectly fine thing to argue against, but pretending like DC or Marvel will ever move away from that is really quixotic.
So because Batman narratively can't STOP Joker does he just give up and never try to stop him. In fact what I'm saying makes far more sense than fighting the same single guy over and over because there will always be an injustice to fight. That's the sad fact of the world: no matter how many times you stop an injustice someone else will always be around to try to create injustice or get around justice, technically being within the law while still acting in an unjust manner. There's always a new face pushing the envelope, because the envelope itself is the problem, not the person doing the pushing.

Lurdiak posted:

I mean yeah I would love if superheroes were a little less pro-establishment, and if Superman had less bullshit excuses to not right wrongs on the societal level instead of just stopping bank robbers, but sheesh, there's a limit.
Superman is the go to because everyone knows Superman, I'm just mourning the lack of heroes that do fight actual injustice.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

[Fantastic Four #133]

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Duke Igthorn posted:

I never get enough of the people who squeal "I don't understand!!!" like their ignorance is someone else's problem. "I'm stupid and can't understand this concept therefore I win!!"

No, it is because your arguments are genuinely nonsensical and make no sense. You're all over the place and changing what you're arguing mid-sentence and using examples that make no sense, at once getting angry over a hypotehetical thing that didn't happen and then freaking out because an elseworld story at some point portrayed Superman in a negative fashion. You're not actually forming any coherent argument for what is a very easy point to make.

You're going "I bet Superman would be throwing illegal aliens over the border in comics these days!!!" and when it's pointed out to you that, no, that isn't actually how Superman is portrayed you have some weird flipout about Red Son and I guess you're referencing a story from the 90s where Superman attacked Qurac and it had long-reaching consequences and was framed as "wow, it's hosed up Superman did that" and not "Boy, it's great Superman did that!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 10, 2017

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

No, it is because your arguments are genuinely nonsensical and make no sense. You're all over the place and changing what you're arguing mid-sentence and using examples that make no sense, at once getting angry over a hypotehetical thing that didn't happen and then freaking out because an elseworld story at some point portrayed Superman in a negative fashion. You're not actually forming any coherent argument for what is a very easy point to make.
And since you seem to be the only one with this problem it's everyone else on Earth that's dumb and crazy, not you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Duke Igthorn posted:

And since you seem to be the only one with this problem it's everyone else on Earth that's dumb and crazy, not you.

That statement would make a lot more sense if I was the only person in the thread asking what you're on about.

What precisely is your point? Because, again, you're changing your argument near constantly. If your argument is "Boy, Superman doesn't actually change society very much" then it's true. If your argument is "Superman never fights injustice ever and only fights for the absolute status quo!!" then there are plenty of books that actually show the opposite and it has nothing to do with the weird argument you made about Superman supporting Trump policies or whatever.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Mental Organism Designed Only for Talking?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Duke Igthorn posted:

When they say a picture is worth a thousand words, they weren't establishing an exchange rate. It's the funny panel thread, dumbass.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

That statement would make a lot more sense if I was the only person in the thread asking what you're on about.

What precisely is your point? Because, again, you're changing your argument near constantly. If your argument is "Boy, Superman doesn't actually change society very much" then it's true. If your argument is "Superman never fights injustice ever and only fights for the absolute status quo!!" then there are plenty of books that actually show the opposite and it has nothing to do with the weird argument you made about Superman supporting Trump policies or whatever.
"There are tons of examples where you're wrong! so many! A ton! Billions! Hundreds of billions! So, so many! So many! I just wish I weren't too busy to provide them! Sooo busy! So many examples! Tons!!"

And shut the gently caress up about your "it was an imaginary story!!!" whining because guess what else was an imaginary story:

ImpAtom posted:

The single and only loving example you've even bothered to provide poo poo nipples.

I'm not sure what you're not getting

That's Yesterday Superman, breaking the law to do the right thing. Today's Superman would not do that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Duke Igthorn posted:

"There are tons of examples where you're wrong! so many! A ton! Billions! Hundreds of billions! So, so many! So many! I just wish I weren't too busy to provide them! Sooo busy! So many examples! Tons!!"

How about you ask in a thread that isn't the funny panels thread, yes, instead of blatantly trying to get people probated for posting non-funny panels in the funny panel thread.

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3611360

Here is the general Q&A thread. If you want to ask examples of Superman combating injustice and inequality in modern times there is a good place to start that won't be outside of the realm of this thread.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 10, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Holy poo poo please all of you go take naps and come back when juice boxes are served.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Avulsion posted:

Mental Organism Designed Only for Talking?
Yes, except his M stands for Mobile because he can walk :science:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Duke Igthorn posted:

That's Yesterday Superman, breaking the law to do the right thing. Today's Superman would not do that
This is your entire argument and it's something you decided was true for no obvious reason

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

purple death ray posted:

This is your entire argument and it's something you decided was true for no obvious reason

Donald Trump got elected and Superman did nothing!!!

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Phylodox posted:

Donald Trump got elected and Superman did nothing!!!

But enough about the middling 2000-2004 run of Superbooks.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

The Sexual Shiite posted:

When they say a picture is worth a thousand words, they weren't establishing an exchange rate. It's the funny panel thread, dumbass.

Everyone there better be going "Oh man that's some heavy truth" rather than "Oooooh, too far man."

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The Sexual Shiite posted:

to be fair only one of them died and he got better. The rest are living nice superheroey lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SomeMathGuy posted:

But enough about the middling 2000-2004 run of Superbooks.
Was that when Luthor was President?

I mean, I'd be down for President Superman, but that has far more to do with his proven track record of morality than his Super-Powers.