Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Yes, actually;

Has anything ever happened with that clause in case law or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Democrats are unconstitutional, says so right there

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VitalSigns posted:

Democrats are unconstitutional, says so right there

:trumppop:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

taiyoko posted:

Lol good luck trying to get any other state to claim New Jersey.

PA takes South Jersey, NY takes North Jersey and Middle Jersey becomes nuclear waste dump

redraw state lines based on population

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

I figure the SCOTUS case where they upheld banning the communist party might have since, iirc, one of the communists arguements was that the constitution doesnt say anything about what economic system has to be used.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Communist Zombie posted:

I figure the SCOTUS case where they upheld banning the communist party might have since, iirc, one of the communists arguements was that the constitution doesnt say anything about what economic system has to be used.

There was no SCOTUS case on the constitutionality of banning the communist party at all

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

According to Wikipedia, yes!

quote:

A political crisis in 1840s Rhode Island, the Dorr Rebellion, forced the Supreme Court to rule on the meaning of this clause. At the time, the Rhode Island constitution was the old royal charter established in the 17th century. By the 1840s, only 40% of the state's free white males were enfranchised. An attempt to hold a popular convention to write a new constitution was declared insurrection by the charter government, and the convention leaders were arrested. One of them brought suit in federal court, arguing that Rhode Island's government was not "republican" in character, and that his arrest (along with all of the government's other acts) was invalid. In Luther v. Borden, 48 U.S. 1 (1849), the Court held that the determination of whether a state government is a legitimate republican form as guaranteed by the Constitution is a political question to be resolved by the Congress. In effect, the court held the clause to be non-justiciable.

The Luther v. Borden ruling left the responsibility to establish guidelines for the republican nature of state governments in the hands of the Congress. This power became an important part of Reconstruction after the American Civil War. The Radical Republican majority used this clause as the basis for taking control of the ex-Confederate states and for promoting civil rights for freedmen, plus the limiting of political and voting rights for ex-Confederates, abolishing the ex-Confederate state governments, setting guidelines for the readmission of the rebellious states into the Union.

While the Supreme Court's holding in Luther v. Borden still holds today, the Court, by looking to the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment (adopted 19 years after Luther v. Borden was decided), has developed new criteria for determining which questions are political in nature and which are justiciable.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

UberJew posted:

There was no SCOTUS case on the constitutionality of banning the communist party at all

But there was a case somewhere in the states right, cause i definitely remeber reading it?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Communist Zombie posted:

But there was a case somewhere in the states right, cause i definitely remeber reading it?

There's a famous one about some communists circulating anti-draft leaflets. Is that what you're thinking of?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
I dont think so. It was a pre Cold War case specifically on the legality of the communist party where the ruling said something like by definition communists want to overthrow the government so its ok to ban them.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
There were cases that upheld imprisoning lots of communists, pacifists and dissenters of all sorts (good reading to remind you that even today free speech ends the moment you're saying something the government doesn't like) but the 50s act that banned the party itself never got a scotus case because it wasn't really enforced

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Communist Zombie posted:

I dont think so. It was a pre Cold War case specifically on the legality of the communist party where the ruling said something like by definition communists want to overthrow the government so its ok to ban them.

Dennis v. United States, which upheld imprisoning a set of people (who were the leadership of CPUSA) on a 'clear and probable danger' test b/c of their speech

But it didn't uphold banning the organization itself, it just said those individuals and what they were saying was something the government didn't like dangerous

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Ah, yea I can see how would have gotten that confused.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Harik posted:

People with great power and influence that retire don't tend to just do nothing afterwards. Even with a lifetime pension at 100% of their salary they'd go sit on boards or something just to keep the feeling of control.

Unless you're proposing "18 years with a guillotine at the end" in some sort of judicial dystopia, I don't think it would work out the way you want.

There's nothing stopping judges from doing that now. They're not forced to retire, but they can, and sometimes do. If there was a big corruption problem someone would've noticed by now.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

UberJew posted:

Dennis v. United States, which upheld imprisoning a set of people (who were the leadership of CPUSA) on a 'clear and probable danger' test b/c of their speech

But it didn't uphold banning the organization itself, it just said those individuals and what they were saying was something the government didn't like dangerous

Also note this was before the Brandenburg test, which currently does protect advocacy of violence at some point in the future.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

evilweasel posted:

According to Wikipedia, yes!

So interesting. I always learn something from you guys. :eng101:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/851456302433882112

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Donald Trump shouldn't get a supreme court pick in the last year of his presidency

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

gently caress.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SCOTUS Thread 2017: Justice Scalia attempted to reincarnate on party's behalf

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

mdemone posted:

SCOTUS Thread 2017: Justice Scalia attempted to reincarnate on party's behalf

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

esto es malo posted:

Donald Trump shouldn't get a supreme court pick in the last year of his presidency

We can only hope

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

I'm seriously going to laugh my rear end off when Gorsuch turns out to be an honest-to-god moderate who values established law & not hurting people, rather than the five-mouthed lord of hell that the Republicans were promised Scalia's sacrifice would bring about.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Niton posted:

I'm seriously going to laugh my rear end off when Gorsuch turns out to be an honest-to-god moderate who values established law & not hurting people, rather than the five-mouthed lord of hell that the Republicans were promised Scalia's sacrifice would bring about.

Might want to check the quote referenced there.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Office Pig posted:

Might want to check the quote referenced there.

I did, it's going to make it even better. Even though he's putting forward quotes that sound like the Ur-Scalia, and his track record makes me think he's going to be frustrating in a lot of ways, I still expect surprises out of him that will piss off Republicans a hell of a lot more than myself.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Niton posted:

You're going to be holding in that laugh for a very long time. He's not going to be anything like Kennedy and if he isn't consistently to the (far) right of Roberts on most things I'll be stunned.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Party Plane Jones posted:

The regional governors will keep them in line.
:eng101: Fear will keep them in line. The regional governors will have direct control.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Niton posted:

I cannot believe, after the record available from Gorsuch's career and senatorial hearings, the sheer strength of your desire to go out of your way to hope things will turn out okay as a result of Gorsuch's ascension.

Gorsuch is going to vote on Noth Carolina anti-black gerrymandering, whether Trump's executive order is fueled by religious animus, whether churches can receive state dollars for infrastructure upgrades, and whether a bakery in Colorado has the right to deny service to gays. Let's also not forget that Ted Cruz and a growing contingent of Republicans are supporting a bill permitting government employees to exercise their religious right to discriminate against gays.

That's erosion of the establishment clause, legalization of institutional discrimination, destruction of equal protection of religious minorities, and a deep hit to voting rights and the capacity for the nation to recover from having our steering wheel locked to the right.

Those aren't even topics upon which Gorsuch is a "maybe." Bring on "maybes" like Obergefell and Roe and we stand to lose an enormous volume of rights.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kennedy's not going to side with the conservatives on the baker case. I just can't imagine.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

Kennedy's not going to side with the conservatives on the baker case. I just can't imagine.

Unless much like a cat on top of a refrigerator, Kennedy can be lured down off the court with kind words and ceremonies (and treats)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Niton posted:

The right wing Judicial complex knows what they are doing. They are so much better at this than we are. Zero chance Gorsuch isn't basically a carbon copy Alito or Thomas.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Carbon copy Thomas wouldn't be a bad thing.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

It wouldn't really be a good thing either though. Honestly I've just been telling myself he's replacing Scalia, so it's not like it's gonna be any worse than before*.

*Please don't prove me wrong reality.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Scalia, but with no love for the fourth amendment.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
But what about the third amendment? Assuming we ever get a third case before the Supreme Court again. They laughed that one a few years back out of the room, right? The SWAT sniper in NYC or whatever?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DACK FAYDEN posted:

But what about the third amendment? Assuming we ever get a third case before the Supreme Court again. They laughed that one a few years back out of the room, right? The SWAT sniper in NYC or whatever?

Not to worry, we'll get one under Donald :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's also, in theory, a potential ruling against the Gerrymandering cases since the one involving Wisconsin specifically created and used a formula like he had previously said is needed to make such a determination. Whether he gives a gently caress about it or not is the only real question at this point.

It's more likely than the Dems increasing the SCOTUS to 11 members if they took the WH and both chambers of Congress. :smith:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Oh good God you guys weren't being ironic, you sincerely want to pack the court.

What the hell is wrong with you.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh good God you guys weren't being ironic, you sincerely want to pack the court.

What the hell is wrong with you.

You're gonna have to articulate why you think packing the court is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the justices want to keep their number nine, they can get in line.