Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was it a Malibu comic that had the gimmick of having a cover where the guy had a bullet wound in his chest and they shot the comic with a pistol through it?

Kind of sort of.

Protectors #5 had the cover you mean with the guy getting shot and there's a bullet hole all the way through the issue, but it was die-cut.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I can't decide if that's more or less edgy than Kiss mixing their blood into the ink of their comic line.

They were the kings of lovely cover gimmicks. They did a fully die cut comic book once as well.

redbackground posted:

Kind of sort of.

Protectors #5 had a the cover with the guy getting shot and there's a bullet hole, but it was die-cut.

They actually set up and shot one at a con but it blew a massive hole through the book and made them look stupid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right, I see. I wasn't sure which of the "mini-major" companies did it; thought it might have been Malibu but I wasn't sure.

However, I remember reading about this indie comic that had the same gimmick, except they made an effort to incorporate the hole on every page of their book (e.g. a vase being smashed where the bullet hole would be) and they did different variants including a "guaranteed unreadable" one they made with a shotgun.

Anyway, the only other thing I know about Malibu:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right, I see. I wasn't sure which of the "mini-major" companies did it; thought it might have been Malibu but I wasn't sure.

However, I remember reading about this indie comic that had the same gimmick, except they made an effort to incorporate the hole on every page of their book (e.g. a vase being smashed where the bullet hole would be) and they did different variants including a "guaranteed unreadable" one they made with a shotgun.

JAB Comics #3 Scroll down for interior pics.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Wheat Loaf posted:

You probably read this Comic Book Legends Revealed column

http://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-303/

TLDR it was Shannon Wheeler, the Too Much Coffee Man guy, shooting an anthology comic, Jab #3.

e: gently caress, beaten like a redheaded stepchild :smith:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, that looks familiar.

Haven't read CBLR in years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, every time Marvel's launched a sub line it hasn't lasted very long. Their biggest success wasn't Max though, it was the Epic line. DC's no better though, other than Vertigo none of their sub lines have had real legs. Helix didn't last long at all and let's face it, Young Animal isn't going to be around in 5 years.

How does Young Animal sell? I have to admit I really haven't heard much good buzz about the books in that line at all. Not that I've heard anything bad either, it just seems like the books aren't being read by many people at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

How does Young Animal sell? I have to admit I really haven't heard much good buzz about the books in that line at all. Not that I've heard anything bad either, it just seems like the books aren't being read by many people at all.
I'm about to go home, but in March 2017:

101 94 Doom Patrol 5 $3.99 DC 24,693
190 191 Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye 6 $3.99 DC 11,558

So, uh, not great?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Endless Mike posted:

So, uh, not great?

!!! Not my favorite books!!!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Protectors was part of Malibu's universe of comics, not the Ultraverse, which was another Malibu line that was one of two of their THIS ONE'S FOR THE WRITERS imprints after they distributed Image for its first couple of years, then Image realized they didn't need Malibu, so Malibu went all in on the gently caress NAME WITHHELD, WRITER SUPREMACY in retaliation basically.

Prior to Image starting, Malibu was basically a company that went around buying smaller comic book companies that were in bad shape following the Black & White Bust in the late 1980s. A lot of those companies had licensing deals for nerd properties (Planet of the Apes, Robotech, Puppet Master, Alien Nation) along with semi-remembered books like Dinosaurs for Hire and Ex-Mutants.

After the success of Image's initial line of books, Malibu jumped on the bandwagon quickly with THE GENESIS UNIVERSE which included some public domain characters one of their subsidiaries had been reprinting, plus folding in the aforementioned titles into one big incoherent universe, one in which the main team was THE PROTECTORS, and their Wolverine-a-like The Ferret got shot in the gut in that series.

Anyway none of these books were successful so Malibu backburnered them to launch THE ULTRAVERSE, which was kind-of-sort-of creator owned, and was meant to be "the writer's universe" next to Image's "artist universe". Some of these books were actually pretty good (Steve Gerber wrote some real weird stuff, James Robinson got his first big break with them, they gave early art gigs to Gene Ha, Cully Hamner, Aaron Lopresti and others) but within a couple of years the bottom fell out of the market and Marvel (who was in full on acquisition mode) bought the company outright, less for any of the IP and more to ensure they beat DC's market share in time for a shareholder meeting, and also to take over their in-house computer coloring department. None of the books lasted more than a year or so after the buy-out.

The likely reason that Marvel hasn't used them since isn't the creator-participation thing, which while is/was probably distasteful for Marvel isn't THAT big a deal I assume, and I believe Quesda/Brevoort/others when they say that isn't a dealbreaker. When they intimate there are "other issues" and said they don't want to air any dirty laundry, I assume it's something to do with contracts and Scott Rosenberg.

Rosenberg is a real piece of work, from starting Malibu primarily as a means of vulturing up all of the titles that might have fallen by the wayside back in the late 1980s, he's been dogged by a lot of creators accusing him of playing games with their contracts or outright ignoring them. After he got bought out by Marvel, was given an executive title, then kicked out during Chapter 11 restructuring, he started Platinum Studios.

Platinum Studios got a bunch of money on the principle that Rosenberg was one of those comic book guys like Stan Lee who had a million characters, just waiting to be turned into big movies, and at the time he "had" to his "name" Men in Black, which was a bigger movie hit than any Marvel thing circa 1998. The only issue with him taking credit for Men in Black (besides the fact that the movie bore little to no resemblance to the comic) was that Aircel published MIB before Rosenberg bought out Aircel, and then Men in Black was sold to Marvel before the movie came out, and at no point did Rosenberg have any real involvement with the movie or comic.

But that hasn't stopped Platinum Studios/Platinum Comics from existing for twenty years now, a run that has included two movies: Dylan Dog and Cowboys and Aliens.

Cowboys & Aliens is based on a graphic novel by (guess who?) Scott Rosenberg, who couldn't be bothered to write the actual comic and hired two newcomers (Andrew Foley and Fred Van Lente) to do the dirty work of actually getting a comic drawn by a bunch of different journeymen out onto the shelves. Rosenberg had already sold the film rights, so what did he care was in the actual comic?

Dylan Dog meanwhile is a longrunning Italian comic that Rosenberg had purchased the English language rights for. I would bet money no one here recognizes/has read a single other Platinum Studios Comic title though to be fair they haven't published one in almost a decade.

Here's a Heidi MacDonald piece about all of the shady poo poo Platinum did/is still doing from all accounts with bonus creators chiming in on the comments about how closely this maps to how Rosenberg ran his comics company.

It's way more likely Marvel doesn't want to deal with Rosenberg's poo poo than it is they are against paying James Robinson a couple hundred dollars for having Firearm show up in Jessica Jones.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Giant awesome effortpost about Malibu/Scott Rosenberg stuff

I'll never forgive Malibu for destroying Canada's own Aircel :argh: How am I supposed to read Barry Blair elfsex comics now!?

I have that Dylan Dog Casefiles book Dark Horse put out awhile back, it's a good comic and it sucks that this shitbag is holding back more reprints.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I have all of Young Animal on my pull list through at least #6 each and the ride has been kind and gnarly to me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/JuliusGoat/status/851517946258231297

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Endless Mike posted:

So, uh, not great?

It's a drat shame. Shade is my favourite book out at the moment but presumably it's not going to be around much longer.

:negative:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah here's some buzz shade is amazing

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My only real problem with YA so far is the delays on Doom Patrol. The books themselves are somenof my fav ongoings

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Anything that gives Tom Scioli work is absolutely essential.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Was epic anything other than Bendis? I can't even remember the books they put out.

Endless Mike posted:

Man, I keep mistaking Epic for Icon.

So did i

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 10, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

They are sadly some of my worst sellers and from those numbers it's the same story everywhere else. But they are critical darlings and who knows how well the digitals are selling so they'll probably get to exist for a time yet. But like I said above, YA won't be around in 5 years.

Soonmot posted:

Was epic anything other than Bendis? I can't even remember the books they put out.

So did i

You mean the new one? There was like, a JMS book maybe?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lightning Lord posted:

Anything that gives Tom Scioli work is absolutely essential.

I feel like American Barbarian and Final Frontier are legit good and everything else he's done is bad or "so-bad-it's-good."

As much as the so bad it's good stuff is fun, I really want another one like American Barbarian.

Edit: I haven't read Godland. I hear that's good?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Soonmot posted:

I was going to mention Matt Fraction's Casanova moving there when he was briefly Marvel exclusive, but then I realized that was Icon, which is probably also what you were thinking of, since they're the ones who published Powers and Scarlet.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

There's also the fact that the title "Epic" is now being used for Marvel's replacement for the Essentials line.

joehonkie posted:

I feel like American Barbarian and Final Frontier are legit good and everything else he's done is bad or "so-bad-it's-good."

As much as the so bad it's good stuff is fun, I really want another one like American Barbarian.

Never has a more incorrect post been made in this forum. :doom:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Every time someone asks Tom Brevoort about Malibu, his only response is that he's not legally allowed to talk about it.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lightning Lord posted:

There's also the fact that the title "Epic" is now being used for Marvel's replacement for the Essentials line.

Never has a more incorrect post been made in this forum. :doom:

You don't want another American Barbarian? You are ill, sir.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

joehonkie posted:

You don't want another American Barbarian? You are ill, sir.

Of course I do. But your statement about the rest of Scioli's work is a strong falsehood. I mean have you read Godland?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lightning Lord posted:

Of course I do. But your statement about the rest of Scioli's work is a strong falsehood. I mean have you read Godland?

If you​ would notice the edit to my post, I have not and probably ought to.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

joehonkie posted:

If you​ would notice the edit to my post, I have not and probably ought to.

It's amazing.

i guess you don't like Transformers vs GI Joe though. I saw the glory and the light when I read that comic.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lightning Lord posted:

It's amazing.

i guess you don't like Transformers vs GI Joe though. I saw the glory and the light when I read that comic.

Oh no, it's great. That was totally in the so bad its good camp. But it was no AmBarb.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Every time someone asks Tom Brevoort about Malibu, his only response is that he's not legally allowed to talk about it.

That's stupid. If they'd issue a statement people could stop asking about it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

That's stupid. If they'd issue a statement people could stop asking about it.

I feel like it's one of those situations where admitting anything could be a liability. But I guess a blanket "We cannot discuss the Malibu situation" statement might work. But it wouldn't prevent anyone from asking.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

if this ends with anything other than a to-the-death knife fight between Gaiman and McFarlane to once and for all resolve all their issues, I'll be a bit disappointed. Because deep down, I know that if anyone is actually pressing this issue legally, it's Todd McFarlane.

I don't blame Disney one bit though; Miracleman would make a poo poo movie, and I don't even think "well it would be a great HBO miniseries" is true in this case. It's a comics thing through and through.

McFarlane is probably not that excited to take Gaiman to court seeing as Gaiman won in the whole Spawn lawsuit. Where a judge was forced to read enough Spawn to state that McFarlane's "Dark Ages Spawn" was clearly just a knock off of Gaiman's "Medieval Spawn."

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

muscles like this! posted:

McFarlane is probably not that excited to take Gaiman to court seeing as Gaiman won in the whole Spawn lawsuit. Where a judge was forced to read enough Spawn to state that McFarlane's "Dark Ages Spawn" was clearly just a knock off of Gaiman's "Medieval Spawn."

Not only that but she also came up with some original ideas which might've been the first time a judge decided a case by writing some fanfic

quote:

“…why not make him a Portuguese explorer in the 16th century; an officer of the Royal Navy in the 18th century, an idealistic recruit of Simon Bolivar in the 19th century, a companion of Odysseus on his voyages, a Roman gladiator, a younger brother of Emperor Nakamikado in the early 18th century, a Spanish conquistador, an aristocrat in the Qing dynasty, an American Indian warrior or a member of the court of Queen Elizabeth I? It seems far more than coincidence that Dark Ages (McFarlane) Spawn is a knight from the same century as Medieval (Gaiman) Spawn.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's probably not Todd, there's probably something going on with Warrior and/or Mick Anglo.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Samuringa posted:

Not only that but she also came up with some original ideas which might've been the first time a judge decided a case by writing some fanfic

I would love to read about Simon Bolivar getting a load of an idealistic young Spawn hot on his heels.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

It's probably not Todd, there's probably something going on with Warrior and/or Mick Anglo.

So Todd McFarlane, because Dez Skinn gave Eclipse the rights to all the Quality Communications/Warrior stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

So Todd McFarlane, because Dez Skinn gave Eclipse the rights to all the Quality Communications/Warrior stuff.

Somebody was working on possible reasons and Dez may not have had the right to do that so it may be an international thing. We'll see.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Okay since I'm home and have a bit of time, here's every Young Animal title for March (Shade didn't have an issue, but sold less than Cave Carson in February):
code:
101	94	Doom Patrol	5	$3.99	DC	24,693
162	161	Mother Panic	4	$3.99	DC	
190	191	Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye	6	$3.99	DC	11,558
For a probably fair comparison, here's Vertigo books:
code:
200	202	Savage Things	1	$3.99	DC	10,568
205	210	Astro City	42	$3.99	DC	9,481
241	261	Lucifer	16	$3.99	DC	6,917
259	282	Lost Boys	6	$3.99	DC	6,217
272	294	Everafter From The Pages of Fables	7	$3.99	DC	5,819
So if they're expecting them to sell similarly to Vertigo titles, they're doing well, but I have no idea what DC's expectations are for the YA line.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

So if they're expecting them to sell similarly to Vertigo titles, they're doing well, but I have no idea what DC's expectations are for the YA line.

I assume to generate some material to package for the bookstore/trade market.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rhyno posted:

Mick Anglo is super dead and also drew a cover for Marvel when they released it right before he died, so unless he had a child/person in his will with a stick up their rear end (not impossible) I don't think it's on his end. Plus I'm not entirely sure he even owned them when Marvel "bought" them from him.

My (not entirely genuine) guess is still McFarlane because

A: He's Todd McFarlane, the avatar of pettiness and spite

B: maybe something came up and he actually *does* own all that Warrior poo poo that Dez Skinn wasn't supposed to have owned after all

C: that is the funniest thing that could happen, which seems to be how God is directing this particular human farce

I suppose if we're looking to be logical there's probably a clearinghouse in the UK that's gumming up the works. Some outfit named 30th Century Comics in Britain bought the collection of one Alan Class, who bought the inventory of L. Miller and Sons, who published Marvelman. If anyone realistically has a claim to the rights that hasn't already made an attempt at claiming them, it's these people. I mean christ, Mick Anglo's entire case for owning the rights is "my name was on some pages that I wrote/drew". The publisher owns/owned it for sure.

Honestly, looking back, I can't believe anyone bought McFarlane having the rights, considering Eclipse never owned the character rights to begin with, which makes him writing Miracleman into Spawn and making a loving Spawn/Miracleman SDCC Exclusive statue set all the more hilarious (and clearly a shot at Neil Gaiman). Man has balls the size of watermelons.

look at this poo poo, he made this *after* he got into it with Gaiman, and sold it at the biggest comic book event of the year

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Never forget this about McFarlane

• Locked thread