Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Ethiser posted:

They should have just not had her in the Souji route or made her a mechanic. The inexperienced pilot character doesn't work in a story where they don't pilot.

That's pretty much what happens, though? After they end up in the relatively peaceful AD world Chitose gets off the Yamato's Wild Ride and doesn't show up again until the Gardim plot rears its head in the endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I really did not like the Gardmin plot part with Soji with Chitose as the main character. It did not fit Soji and it only made me dread playing as Soji because I do not want to see Chitose put in the same role.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

EthanSteele posted:

I'm not sure how much of the plot reveals are the same on Chitose route compared to Soji so maybe hold off till you're done!

She gets written out at stage 11 to stay with the Natto Guy that rescued them because its a safe place for her to be while stuff is happening before suddenly showing up in the bad guy robot much later. She pretty much doesn't exist at all on the Soji route.

I've been told the dynamic between Soji and Chitose on her route is much better with her being the inexperienced one that he sort of mentors vs the Soji-route version being him as the experienced dude who is a clown everyone makes fun of and her not really contributing anything.

Uh, yeah, I finished all that plot stuff. That's why I'm commenting on it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Caphi posted:

Uh, yeah, I finished all that plot stuff. That's why I'm commenting on it.

Sorry I forgot to get rid of that bit from when I went into more detail. I didn't know if the other route did it all the same or delayed the reveals or what and wanted to be certain I wouldn't spoil anything, but then that stuff wasn't in my thing anymore so now I just look like an idiot.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

That's pretty much what happens, though? After they end up in the relatively peaceful AD world Chitose gets off the Yamato's Wild Ride and doesn't show up again until the Gardim plot rears its head in the endgame.

Yeah but I thought even that was too much. She feels like dead weight from the moment she shows up and doesn't really add much at the end.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I think my slow speed playing the game has had a benefit. I get the early 30s mission where I need to own Jerid and the Black Unicorn. GundamOfficial puts up first 5 episodes of Zeta in hd. I've yet to see Zeta because price and missing one of the cheaper but less liked movies. It was nigh perfect timing.

I'm enjoying the game but the SPs are sometimes a joy drain. I have to play stupid to get them which to be sure is anime but my strategy gamer mind (one who isn't a number cruncher type and can find leet sploits as the kids used to say) haaates not keeping units in cover or taking out enemies with focus fire or always getting big kills with Bless or Fortune or the higher grade versions.

That and too many drat characters. Like they could rip Seed and 00 out of the game and nothing would be lost. Cross Ange as well. Honestly half the Supers too but game wise not so much. (Daitarn and Zambot should always stick together for Max cheese.)

Like the story I can barely follow since I haven't seen most of them and in some cases only the show and not the movie. Or just a couple pages of manga.

It's a fun game and even the SPs are less puzzle than many Advance Wars maps seemed to be. And waaay less brutal than the Slitherine NOT PANZER GENERAL games. 40k Armageddon is downright evil. And all of those titles have multi mission death spirals to a degree that would make Sierra blush.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Captain Rufus posted:

I think my slow speed playing the game has had a benefit. I get the early 30s mission where I need to own Jerid and the Black Unicorn. GundamOfficial puts up first 5 episodes of Zeta in hd. I've yet to see Zeta because price and missing one of the cheaper but less liked movies. It was nigh perfect timing.

I'm enjoying the game but the SPs are sometimes a joy drain. I have to play stupid to get them which to be sure is anime but my strategy gamer mind (one who isn't a number cruncher type and can find leet sploits as the kids used to say) haaates not keeping units in cover or taking out enemies with focus fire or always getting big kills with Bless or Fortune or the higher grade versions.

That and too many drat characters. Like they could rip Seed and 00 out of the game and nothing would be lost. Cross Ange as well. Honestly half the Supers too but game wise not so much. (Daitarn and Zambot should always stick together for Max cheese.)

Like the story I can barely follow since I haven't seen most of them and in some cases only the show and not the movie. Or just a couple pages of manga.

It's a fun game and even the SPs are less puzzle than many Advance Wars maps seemed to be. And waaay less brutal than the Slitherine NOT PANZER GENERAL games. 40k Armageddon is downright evil. And all of those titles have multi mission death spirals to a degree that would make Sierra blush.

Hm? There's no cover, defense is done through Prevail, supports, and managing SP (Focus, Guard, Alert/Predict) and buffs (Command, Cyber Fairy, Jamming). Efficiency is done through movement and selection of targets. You're just looking for a different kind of strategy than the game is built around. I'm not saying it's a challenging game by any means but stuff like Accel management and setting enemies up to die on the counter is only playing stupid if you have a limited idea of what playing smart "should" be.

It's also weird to say Cross Ange could be removed from the game since it's a first time inclusion so at least a third of the plot is written around it.

e: also you can take Might Gaine out of this game over my dead body because even if you discount its entire plot as being pretty self-contained (which is true I guess) it does a lot to set the tone of the game and also Nine's character development.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 10, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Hm? There's no cover,

I think they mean terrain bonuses there. (I agree with the rest of what you said tho'.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the game's main characters are basically okita, ange, and maito. the original protag just kind of hangs around.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I mean.

There's Kouji and Sousuke too.

Protag seems to be around mainly because we weren't ready for a game where Nine was simply the main character. (Imagine playing the first 8 chapters as the unmanned Vangray.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that'd honestly be kind of cool and interesting, if they thought vangray was some sort of automatic defense system and were poking at it for the first few chapters, then nine popped out

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

the game's main characters are basically okita, ange, and maito. the original protag just kind of hangs around.

You could probably reasonably add Sousuke in there as well. He gets 4 suits!

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The only thing I wish they took out was Embryo because he is the loving worst!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

that'd honestly be kind of cool and interesting, if they thought vangray was some sort of automatic defense system and were poking at it for the first few chapters, then nine popped out

It'd be an interesting premise but as it stands Nine's arc is largely built around having one specific human to lean on every time there's a big awful revelation, so it's more like it would be interesting to see in a different game. (Same with the robot in BX, I assume.)

And also Chitose is good, anyway.

OneDeadman posted:

The scene where Ange blows Embryo up while every single female pilot in the Tenku Fleet calls him a piece of poo poo is very good, actually.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Gah double posts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OneDeadman posted:

that's what's good about embryo, he's the worst piece of poo poo in the universe and everyone acts like it, even the villains

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

Caphi posted:

There's Kouji and Sousuke too.

I am glad we no longer have Alto in this group

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

that's what's good about embryo, he's the worst piece of poo poo in the universe and everyone acts like it, even the villains

The entire bit where Leonard is like "wow, am I being that much of a poo poo? goddamn, you guys, I'm sorry" just from being compared to Embryo is incredible.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I went in hating the Cross Ange and came out liking it for that dynamic.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
Man, it is a shame The Big O was not in this game. If only we had R. Dorothy in this game to hang out with Nine and call Embryo a louse.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Man, it is a shame The Big O was not in this game. If only we had R. Dorothy in this game to hang out with Nine and call Embryo a louse.

Big O would have fit in really well with Might Gaine

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Big O would have fit in really well with Might Gaine

My god that would be pretty amazing.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
So, is V good and also worth buying?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeycp posted:

So, is V good and also worth buying?

Yes. it's easy but overall a solid and fun SRW game.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I like Souji and Chitose well enough, but I'm kinda waiting for a V2 or OG to let them interact with, you know, each other.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Big O would honestly have fit in very very well with its issues about AIs and created worlds.

Oh well.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Good finale. It was definitely more interesting than the usual "single final boss" format, until the event happened and then I finished like 90% of the battle with five shots of the WMC in a row. It was really, really rough until then, though.

Good SRW. Good originals. Very happy it was just fun and not as up its own rear end as Z3 or OG!J. Chitose's side is my unshakable canon.

e: the game version of Black Noir is everything I play SRW for.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 11, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I love how often people say something like "well, fancy meeting you in a different galaxy in a different universe!" in V. Dimension travel was such a big dramatic deal in Z but here it's just eh whatever, happens all the time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Finally finished V. I laughed, I cried, etc. Less dramatic than most SRW endings but more touching. I'm glad Nine didn't learn about love on the internet.

edit: Shinji's ace conversation wasn't anywhere near as amusingly worded in the Japanese though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 19, 2017

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013
So I finally received my copy of SRW V from Play-Asia. This is my first SRW game so there's a ton of stuff that I don't understand and the game doesn't seem to explain. Like what do all the stats mean? HP and EN I figured out, what does Armor, Mobility, and Sight do on a Mech? I can guess CBQ and RNG refer to melee and range, but do they affect damage or hit rates? What does the Potential Lvl affect? Should I be rank up Mech stats, Pilot stats, or open up the skill tree first? How long is it going to take me to get used to O for confirm and X to cancel? Actually the controls in general always throw me for a loop when I'm in menus. I always find myself wondering if I should hit Triangle or Square to bring up what I need. This is actually the first game in a long while that I wish I had a printed instruction manual for.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tiger Shark posted:

So I finally received my copy of SRW V from Play-Asia. This is my first SRW game so there's a ton of stuff that I don't understand and the game doesn't seem to explain. Like what do all the stats mean? HP and EN I figured out, what does Armor, Mobility, and Sight do on a Mech? I can guess CBQ and RNG refer to melee and range, but do they affect damage or hit rates? What does the Potential Lvl affect? Should I be rank up Mech stats, Pilot stats, or open up the skill tree first? How long is it going to take me to get used to O for confirm and X to cancel? Actually the controls in general always throw me for a loop when I'm in menus. I always find myself wondering if I should hit Triangle or Square to bring up what I need. This is actually the first game in a long while that I wish I had a printed instruction manual for.
SRW is as steeped in tradition as the Final Fantasy series is so yeah there will be something non-obvious things. For all stat stuff though you can push the touchpad to bring up a description of what they all do.

As for other things, in this game leveling up mechs takes money while people takes TacP, so there's no reason to think about which one to do first. As for opening up the skill tree early on, I'd say no, and instead get the four big factory bonuses first.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tiger Shark posted:

CBQ and RNG effect damage. Hit rates is based off the Mech's Accuracy stat and the Pilot's HIT stat.

The way Potential Works is that it increases a units Hit Rate, Defense, Evade, and Criticial Hit Rate as the unit's HP goes down. The level determines at what point the skill starts to take effect, while increasing the range of the effect. Level 1 Potential will trigger when the unit is at 10% HP or less. This same boost will happen at 90% HP or less at Level 9, and the boosts will increase the lower the HP and the higher the level. So Level 9 Potential at 10% HP will actually be rather tough, accurate evasive, and crit like mad.

Mechs and Pilots are developed on seperate tracks with seperate currencies, so don't worry about that. Upgrade who you like.

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

SRW is as steeped in tradition as the Final Fantasy series is so yeah there will be something non-obvious things. For all stat stuff though you can push the touchpad to bring up a description of what they all do.

As for other things, in this game leveling up mechs takes money while people takes TacP, so there's no reason to think about which one to do first. As for opening up the skill tree early on, I'd say no, and instead get the four big factory bonuses first.

Dr Pepper posted:

CBQ and RNG effect damage. Hit rates is based off the Mech's Accuracy stat and the Pilot's HIT stat.

The way Potential Works is that it increases a units Hit Rate, Defense, Evade, and Criticial Hit Rate as the unit's HP goes down. The level determines at what point the skill starts to take effect, while increasing the range of the effect. Level 1 Potential will trigger when the unit is at 10% HP or less. This same boost will happen at 90% HP or less at Level 9, and the boosts will increase the lower the HP and the higher the level. So Level 9 Potential at 10% HP will actually be rather tough, accurate evasive, and crit like mad.

Mechs and Pilots are developed on seperate tracks with seperate currencies, so don't worry about that. Upgrade who you like.

Thanks guys. I should also explain I'm on Vita, not sure if there's an equivalent to the touchpad. Touchscreen doesn't do anything. Select brings up a key menu and sometimes a further explanation for skills, but still doesn't really describe a few things. What does Score mean for a pilot? And does SP, EN, and Focus all just build up over time or are there specific actions to get more of those while in combat?

Game is great on the Vita. Looks good, runs fast.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tiger Shark posted:

Thanks guys. I should also explain I'm on Vita, not sure if there's an equivalent to the touchpad. Touchscreen doesn't do anything. Select brings up a key menu and sometimes a further explanation for skills, but still doesn't really describe a few things. What does Score mean for a pilot? And does SP, EN, and Focus all just build up over time or are there specific actions to get more of those while in combat?

Score is number of enemy kills. Really good poo poo happens when it goes above 70. SP and Focus build up over time but EN only does if the robot has some ability for it, like a gravity wave receiver or something.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 22, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno, there's some units that really benefit from buying some B & E Saves(for example with two levels of E Save the Black Selena's Distortion Attack goes down from 50 EN to 20, which combined with the bonus you get for upgrading all its non weapon bars to 5 makes it a monster in terms of counter attacking), but it is true that the big bonuses are very useful, especially the one that gives you 10% Health and Energy regen, particularly since it stacks with any other abilities of that sort(for example the Yamato has a built in 20% Energy regen ability, with the bonus that goes up to 30%)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tiger Shark posted:

Focus generation is traditionally linked to pilot personality, with the default set being +1 for getting hit (whether damage is taken or not), +1 for any unit on the map getting shot down, +4 (on top of the previous one) if that pilot shoots down an enemy. Some pilots gain Focus if their attacks hit, some if they successfully dodge, some gain more than 1 Focus at a time, and you can purchase skills from the tree that add +Focus triggers. Finally, Ace Pilots start with higher Focus than normal. There's a Factory upgrade that gives your entire army +10 starting Focus, as well, but I personally feel that the TacP boost is more valuable (because there's no alternate way to scam TacP while Focus is literally given away for free, especially lategame).

The back of the Vita is a touchpad. Try that.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Feel free to hit up http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/V if you need more specific info on any specific stats, skills, Spirits, what have you. It's the go-to for all your spergy number needs.

It can be pretty confusing at first because of all the interlocking sub-systems. Pilots level up through exp, unlock skills with tacp, gain a bonus after hitting a certain kill threshold, spend SP on spirits, and gain or lose focus throughout a battle. And V adds ExC points on top of that. Then you have the robots! The upshot is the game is very forgiving; if you're making a number bigger somewhere, it's probably good for you somehow. :shrug:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Stage 46 of V felt like something out of J, holy crap. Due to dumb luck I managed to trivialize it at least, but having enemies spawn across one corner, then in another, then across the map again was just a pain in the rear end. Glad I got Mazinger Z and Eva 01 back though, the two pretty much cleaned that last portion on their own in two turns flat.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
To cover the other side of the +10 starting Focus vs +1 starting ExC opinions: +10 starting Focus is a tried and true ultra easy and braindead way to be stronger, it'll make you do more and take less damage, activate special abilities for pilots and robots sooner and give access to more powerful moves earlier, all of which add up to you killing things faster and snowballing. +1 starting ExC gives you fancier options to go again/go fast/all the other ExC options sooner so you can be more powerful in fancier ways and once your guys have enough kills to become Great Aces they will start with +1 ExC points meaning you can use the speed boost right away to get to bopping sooner.

Like Broken Loose said there's no way to easily scam up ExC points vs Focus, which has skills to boost it on top of the other options which could also give you ExC (like items etc). Personally I would go with +10 Focus if you're new because it's just a solid boost that just works. It doesn't hit the high peaks of powerful stuff you can do with the ExC system late game, but early game and when you don't have a grasp of all the mechanics in the game you're probably not going to be using the ExC system to its fullest anyway.

tldr: They're both good, +10 starting Focus is easy and good to start out with, +1 ExC point is capable of more stuff and more powerful if you know how to use it and definitely better late game.

On NG+ you keep all the factory upgrades so if you do a third run you'll have everything anyway! Wahey!

Definitely 100% save up your TacP for when the Factory becomes available, the option that gives you bonus TacP equal to 10 times the number of enemies defeated is incredibly strong and the earlier you get it the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Zyuranger (a.k.a the original version of the first Power Rangers) is going to be in X-Omega.

Getter Robo Go (Manga) is also a new addition.

• Locked thread