Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

it was posted before but there's an actual best jeanist award in japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Grouchio posted:

The Anime seems to have a bad pension

Penchant?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PMush Perfect posted:

Mount Lady. :pervert:

Nah, but Best Jeanist is at least a very amusing pun, and probably the best you can do with denim-based superpowers.

Wait, it's a pun? what's the pun?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wait, it's a pun? what's the pun?

Jintor posted:

it was posted before but there's an actual best jeanist award in japan
"Pun" might have been the wrong word for it.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

New Vigilantes guest starring Ida's brother, Ingenium, before he got crippled by Sting!

http://readms.net/r/vigilante/007/4175/1

bondster
May 6, 2007

Oh man, it would be nice if Ida' brother became a recurring character in Vigilantes.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
only if it's as a jogging buddy who gives tips every now and then also lol the crawler's power is one of the most versatile in the drat series, kid should be at UA for sure.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So I guess this trigger stuff has been on the market for 3-4+ months at least if it was going around when Ingenium was still active.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
From the way Tensei was talking about Tenya I kinda got the vibe this is set before MHA proper starts. Did I forget some setting detail implying the contrary?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kyte posted:

From the way Tensei was talking about Tenya I kinda got the vibe this is set before MHA proper starts. Did I forget some setting detail implying the contrary?

Seems like it's set a good deal before it since in the little thought bubble Tenya looked pretty small and apparently couldn't turn? It seems like this is a decent bit before they get to UA at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it seems like iida is still a kid in this, going from the thought bubble ingenium had when he's talking about how his brother can't turn yet. wonder what the actual timeframe for this is

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
to be fair tenya can barely turn so it might only be a short amount of time before the main series.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Elfgames posted:

to be fair tenya can barely turn so it might only be a short amount of time before the main series.

look at him in the thought bubble tho, he looks a lot younger

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
If I had to guess I'd have to say it takes place before All Might was injured, so like five years or so

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elfgames posted:

only if it's as a jogging buddy who gives tips every now and then also lol the crawler's power is one of the most versatile in the drat series, kid should be at UA for sure.

He is already past the UA stage he is in college.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

That face.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

If I had to guess I'd have to say it takes place before All Might was injured, so like five years or so

That makes a lot of sense. I wonder how they're going to resolve it though since they kind of obviously don't get the drugs off the streets.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I enjoyed Vigilantes more when I treat it as a slice-of-life. I guess aimless loser college student trying to find a place in the world speaks to me more than Hero Teen.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Iida's bro seems like a cool dude.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This was a really solid chapter. It also helped fill out the universe a bit, which was great. It makes sense that there would be alternative routes to becoming a hero or becoming involved in the business for those with less spectacular powers who can't get into the elite schools.

Even though Crawler does have a really versatile power, he clearly has had a block stopping him from making good use of it. He was kind of embarrassed to use it at the start of the comic because of the weird posing he needed to do, wasn't he? He probably figured at a young age that it was a stupid power and not worth it. Until now, anyway.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I haven't been following the anime, but now I really want to see THE CRAWLER animated.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fowl posted:

Even though Crawler does have a really versatile power, he clearly has had a block stopping him from making good use of it. He was kind of embarrassed to use it at the start of the comic because of the weird posing he needed to do, wasn't he? He probably figured at a young age that it was a stupid power and not worth it. Until now, anyway.[/spoiler]

it's weird to me because i can't imagine having a superpower and not playing with it at all also dude only needs 3 points of contact with the ground right i'm sure he could figure out a better pose.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

people keep saying crawler's power is versatile, and... eh, not really? at least not compared to any other power that's actually expanded upon at all. I guess he's better off than mineta or w/e

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Elfgames posted:

it's weird to me because i can't imagine having a superpower and not playing with it at all also dude only needs 3 points of contact with the ground right i'm sure he could figure out a better pose.

My question is, does it have to be hands and feet? Can he like, sit on his butt and slide around like it's winter forever? Because that sounds like the best power.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If Vigilantes actually is canon and taking place in the main MHAverse I think it has to be around when our 1-A kids start class. They're present and in their UA uniforms off and on.

But really this means that the whole vigilantes story to this point has taken place in ~2-3 weeks because the sports festival is less than a month into their first semester at school and Ingenium gets crippled on that day.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

he made a friend :unsmith:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Elfgames posted:

To be fair, this is a society where everyone is expected to have some kind of minor superpower and where the hero label implies much more flashy and/or evidently cool abilities.
Most people don't consider "above average visual acuity" or "actually pretty good sense of balance" to be that noteworthy either.

That said, he probably could've made the UA class if he'd had the confidence. He is a pretty meek guy.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

people keep saying crawler's power is versatile, and... eh, not really? at least not compared to any other power that's actually expanded upon at all. I guess he's better off than mineta or w/e

It is a really versatile movement ability. He can go quick, reverse direction, turn easily and go up walls. Getting knocked over isn't a big deal for him like it is for other people, since if her gets 3 limbs on the ground he can zip away.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

getting knocked over is a big deal for him because he's a scrawny dweeb and he's only moderately fast. going up a wall is nice and all, but he's not exactly spider-man here; what's he gonna do when he gets there?

I'm sure he could make it work if he got buff like mirio or took his quirk to its very limit like best jeanist (tho idk what that'd even imply with him really), but lets not pretend like it's a great hero quirk. it's better than crawler gave it credit for, but how was he ever gonna make it past the ua practical exam with it (also how did mineta do it. did he glue them together, or make them fall over, or...?)? igenium was probably right on the money about him being good in a support role for other heroes tho. that is basically what he does for knuckleduster anyway

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

I'm sure they'll have a long and happy friendship where nothing horrible happens to Tensei.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

SgtSteel91 posted:

New Vigilantes guest starring Ida's brother, Ingenium, before he got crippled by Sting!

http://readms.net/r/vigilante/007/4175/1

I can't believe that Creative allowed that chairshot to the head.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm sure he could make it work if he got buff like mirio or took his quirk to its very limit like best jeanist (tho idk what that'd even imply with him really), but lets not pretend like it's a great hero quirk. it's better than crawler gave it credit for, but how was he ever gonna make it past the ua practical exam with it (also how did mineta do it. did he glue them together, or make them fall over, or...?)? igenium was probably right on the money about him being good in a support role for other heroes tho. that is basically what he does for knuckleduster anyway

The author actually explains how Mineta passed since he kept getting asked. Since the goal is to incapacitate the robots, his power was pretty overpowered for the situation, and most instances in general, just not conventional slugfests.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Keep in mind Mineta has the potential to eventually reenact this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK_OKGELcn0&t=133s

Sticky stuff can be pretty useful.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Mineta's shortcomings as a hero have more to do with his essential... Mineta-ishness than his power. It's not overpowering the way a lot of other students' quirks are, but I'd imagine it's real good for corralling mooks and helping incapacitate villains.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Manatee Cannon posted:

getting knocked over is a big deal for him because he's a scrawny dweeb and he's only moderately fast. going up a wall is nice and all, but he's not exactly spider-man here; what's he gonna do when he gets there?

Heroes don't have to fight villains. He can rescue people

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

The author actually explains how Mineta passed since he kept getting asked. Since the goal is to incapacitate the robots, his power was pretty overpowered for the situation, and most instances in general, just not conventional slugfests.

The real question is how Hagakure passed. Did she just sneak up on the weaker robots and punch them really hard?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hagakure doesn't have an invisibility quirk, that's just how her family looks. She's actually as strong as All Might, but can't be the symbol of peace because she lacks the requisite dazzling smile. I assume.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Silver2195 posted:

The real question is how Hagakure passed. Did she just sneak up on the weaker robots and punch them really hard?

She probably flashed their sensors with that lightburst thingy she did back in I-forget-when and then went for the electronics or such.

Or maybe her light powers extend to lasers.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm going to guess those robots aren't super hard to disable if they can't register your presence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I mean, way weirder than Hagakure or Mineta passing is the quiet Kouji passing. He talks to animals, and there'd be like, no animals at all in a large, artificial combat arena full of robots. He may look like a big rock dude but he doesn't seem to have any more strength or endurance than any other person.

He definitely feels like a character who should've ended up in the General classes and maybe graduated up to Hero classes later.