Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Saint Freak posted:

:siren: ATLUS EMPLOYEES DON"T READ THIS POST

There is a site called Youtube where you can watch them all.

that's a technical foul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I introduced my wife to Persona 4 via the Giant Bomb endurance run and it drove her loving crazy that they never maxed Kanji's social link as he was one of her favorites.

One thing I'll definitely do is max all the party member confidants--that's pretty easy to do in most Persona games and this one seems extra lenient. I'm guessing some of the side confidants are going to get left behind eventually, though.

Saint Freak posted:

There is a site called Youtube where you can watch them all.

It's not the same! :colbert:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Harrow posted:

One thing I'll definitely do is max all the party member confidants--that's pretty easy to do in most Persona games and this one seems extra lenient. I'm guessing some of the side confidants are going to get left behind eventually, though.

Plug in a ds4 to your pc and mash buttons as the video plays for the complete experience.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Harrow posted:

Yeah, and it seems like you should be able to get majority of the side characters as well without the guide.

I'm all for people playing the way they want, with the guide or without it. There is no right or wrong decision as to use the guide. Different people have different goals/playstyles and everyone must make the choice themselves.

Everyone should just have fun and play they way they want. This game is good. :D

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I like this game so much I might end up altering my avatar for it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Saint Freak posted:

Plug in a ds4 to your pc and mash buttons as the video plays for the complete experience.

Harrow posted:

I think I am going to ignore the reporter, the benefits don't seem great and she also seems annoying

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Everyone in this thread better have picked that one

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Harrow posted:

I ended up doing the opposite oops. I have Ryuji maxed and Yusuke sitting at like rank 8 but that's it. Meanwhile I've maxed Anime Bernie Sanders, Doc Gothula, and Becky. Gun Dad is at Rank 8 too.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

JT Jag posted:

I like this game so much I might end up altering my avatar for it

same, I'm thinking cropping haru or morgana out of their all-out splashes maybe

is anybody using those, duplicate avatars are gauche

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jesus christ if you build Haru for guns she becomes a goddamn monster.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
A replay of this would probably be dramatically shorter on account of being able to fast-forward through the intro and stomp all random encounters under your foot like a laughing god, but "shorter than 80 hours" isn't a high bar to clear.

Still probably going to do it at some point.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Harrow posted:

I did, but I didn't expect that they would actually go through with it. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I completely would've used Goro's All Out Attack splash as an avatar if Baal hadn't already taken it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Oxxidation posted:

A replay of this would probably be dramatically shorter on account of being able to fast-forward through the intro and stomp all random encounters under your foot like a laughing god, but "shorter than 80 hours" isn't a high bar to clear.

Still probably going to do it at some point.

I mean I'll do it on the revised/golden release but that could be like 4 years out.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Was coffeedad's link gated behind beating the third palce to get it up to rank 3 or does he normally just take a shitton of hanging out with and making coffee to get from 2 to 3?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mr E posted:

Was coffeedad's link gated behind beating the third palce to get it up to rank 3 or does he normally just take a shitton of hanging out with and making coffee to get from 2 to 3?

Coffee dad isn't locked at third palace but he is dealing with some poo poo and so you get only minimal points from hanging out with him or making coffee, and yeah it makes it take ages to rank him up. He does stop at rank 4 until dungeon 4 is done but after that getting new ranks becomes a lot quicker and the kindness boost gets bigger as well.

I'd say it's worth it though because he is a very good Dad with good coffee facts and you should be buds with him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are guns worth it for damage at all? Up through the second Palace I haven't upgraded my guns at all because I only use them to knock down enemies who are weak to gun.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Harrow posted:

Are guns worth it for damage at all? Up through the second Palace I haven't upgraded my guns at all because I only use them to knock down enemies who are weak to gun.

If you just unload your entire clip into a guy you can deal pretty decent damage, and since it's multiple attacks per round there's a good chance you'll get a crit. I don't think it'll ever set the world on fire or anything though, but after starting the Iwai link you can upgrade your basic guns to pretty high levels with minimal costs. So I've been doing that and it doesn't seem to be too bad an investment.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Coffee dad isn't locked at third palace but he is dealing with some poo poo and so you get only minimal points from hanging out with him or making coffee, and yeah it makes it take ages to rank him up. He does stop at rank 4 until dungeon 4 is done but after that getting new ranks becomes a lot quicker and the kindness boost gets bigger as well.

I'd say it's worth it though because he is a very good Dad with good coffee facts and you should be buds with him.

Good, I wanna get his link to 10 along with most/all of the party members and probably the teacher. I'm focusing mostly on stats so I can 100% a NG+.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Harrow posted:

For most people they're just an extra damage type/crit attempter/status effect inducer, but Ryuji and Haru can tear poo poo up with their guns. Especially Haru, geez.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Does the gun shop music play during his S-Link, because I might have to bump that up the priority list if so

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mr E posted:

Good, I wanna get his link to 10 along with most/all of the party members and probably the teacher. I'm focusing mostly on stats so I can 100% a NG+.

He gets a level 5 Kindness block at rank 7 though so prepare for that. So many good confidants get really high social blocks in like the mid-game and it sucks.

I don't think it's too hard to max stats this time around though since a bunch of confidants give bonuses to them and there's so many options to improve them. I've got level 4 in everything by September and i'm hopefully not too far from level 5 charm and knowledge.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Scorps posted:

This is my first Persona and am roughly mid May I believe? I was just wondering how people manage to clear the palaces in 1 night? It took me like 4 to clear out the first palace so I'm just wondering if I'm majorly missing something. I did try to exploit weaknesses whenever possible but I basically just had to leave when I ran out of SP each day. Should I have relied more on auto attacks? I didn't see the advice to buy new weapons until after I had beaten it but I'm just wondering as it is gearing towards the 2nd Palace if there is some major thing I'm missing that would shorten things up more.

Part of it is system mastery, ive been playing SMT games for so long Ill be able to guess weaknesses on a lot of monsters the first time I encounter them. Its nice to clear palaces in a day but if you have to take another all youre missing out on are two skillups. Three days is probably where Id start fretting if youre new. Also the first dungeons in these games are usually pretty tough just because you dont have access to a lot of your tool set, like the ma- spells which make life a lot easier. Ill run away from a fight before I have to cast bufu five times just to get the AOA

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Really impressed by the smart social commentary as the story plays out. Thematically I think this is the strongest Persona game so far.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Near the start of the second Palace:
Modeling adventures with Yusuke inside Madarame's house is like clue #1 that he's gay

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Harrow posted:

I will pet dogs and kitties nicely always. Slow gentle pet even for kittie thieves.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Lmao if you're holding up a sleeping enemy you can't negotiate because they're loving sleeping. I am dying right now

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

So all of sudden during Palace 4 I can't continue asking for money during a hold up? Is it because I advanced Sun to rank 5?

This is real frustrating, why? Before I could ask, then either press for more or go all out. Now its just money and they run off.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Near the start of the second Palace:
Modeling adventures with Yusuke inside Madarame's house is like clue #1 that he's gay

It's a fun segment

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

So all of sudden during Palace 4 I can't continue asking for money during a hold up? Is it because I advanced Sun to rank 5?

This is real frustrating, why? Before I could ask, then either press for more or go all out. Now its just money and they run off.

Its random. Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Yeah one of the Sun abilities means you have a chance of a one-time payoff that's larger than normal, but you can't press your luck after

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

It's random. If the ask for money option is in red, you won't be able to press, but it's guaranteed to be successful.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

They just do that sometimes, it's nothing to do with ranking up Sun. The only time they're guaranteed to run off is if the initial option is red (which also gives you more money anyway.)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

gently caress you Anubis. You're worse than those loving turd demon guys from Palace 3 who sucked up SP because of their physical resistances. But at least you could headbutt the assholes and negate their Rampage.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Did you just call an oni a turd demon

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Dryzen posted:

Did you just call an oni a turd demon

I think he is mistaken for the first Palace miniboss

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

I don't have any kind of sharing hooked up to my PS4 so I just took a photo on my phone and drew over it. So, uh, please feel free to use this.

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 10, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jesus does the third dungeon have just no safe rooms? I got fairly into the counterfeiting room and got killed by bad luck only to find my last save was way back in the first safe room....

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

I think he is mistaken for the first Palace miniboss

That was a penis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Jesus does the third dungeon have just no safe rooms? I got fairly into the counterfeiting room and got killed by bad luck only to find my last save was way back in the first safe room....

There's a few points where you open a path to go back to the entrance or that first save room.

I really feel like that palace was made really early on because it's one of the things we saw in the older promotional stuff