Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
That's just the price you pay for The Hobby, apparently!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atlas Hugged posted:

So I was just at the GW website to see if the old Blood Bowl made to order teams were available yet and I noticed that Shadow Wars teams are being sold in boxes for $130-150. :stare: That's not really the kind of price tag that I expect to see on a skirmish game.

The thing is that it's just repackages of existing kits. You probably are only gonna want Ogryn for Shadow Wars, but they don't make a single Ogryn sprue. So those Shadow Wars teams are a lot more models than you actually need to play Shadow Wars

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Guy Goodbody posted:

The thing is that it's just repackages of existing kits. You probably are only gonna want Ogryn for Shadow Wars, but they don't make a single Ogryn sprue. So those Shadow Wars teams are a lot more models than you actually need to play Shadow Wars

Sure, but Deadzone is the same. You need about six models, and sometimes less, to play the game. Extra models just gives you variety to field. But you're still at a reasonable price point.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People are streaming multiplayer for DoW3 Beta.

It's still awful.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Atlas Hugged posted:

So I was just at the GW website to see if the old Blood Bowl made to order teams were available yet and I noticed that Shadow Wars teams are being sold in boxes for $130-150. :stare: That's not really the kind of price tag that I expect to see on a skirmish game.

The Eldar one for instance is 21 models. An Enforcer starter set for Deadzone comes with 23 models and costs $40. For another $40 you get an additional 13 models including vehicles. That means for $80 you 36 models of varying shapes and sizes and can still afford to buy the core rules or terrain without spending as much on a single Shadow Wars team.

Like, I totally get if you already have a collection of 40k models why SW:A is so appealing, but I can't really see it being the kind of gateway game that GW hope it might be the way Deadzone is for Warpath.

Those sets aren't anything new, they're just one of each of the packages needed to get at least a set of everything possible on the team.

For example, the ~$25 Boyz box is enough to make a full Ork team, but the 'kill team' set includes :

quote:

Expand your games of Shadow War: Armageddon by adding an Ork Boyz Kill Team! In this bundle, you’ll receive a 11-man set of Ork Boyz and a set of 10 Gretchin, who make up the bulk of the Kill Team, along with a set of 5 Flash Gitz, a Painboy, a Mek and a Runtherd, who function as Ork Special Operatives.

The Special Operatives possible are one single Flash Git, a Painboy, a Mek, or a Runtherd and d6 grots. So the vast majority of the extra stuff is unnecessary.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 8, 2017

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Irate Tree posted:

People are streaming multiplayer for DoW3 Beta.

It's still awful.

I watched some of the Yogscast people play it. It didn't look like anything special

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
So I stood there staring at the GW US store for a minute or two because I want a second bull centaur.

$25 for a single model.

$10 for basic shipping.

$35.

$35 for one chunk of metal.

I put my credit card away. Fuming, my wife wanted to know why I woke her in the first place.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Atlas Hugged posted:

So I stood there staring at the GW US store for a minute or two because I want a second bull centaur.

$25 for a single model.

$10 for basic shipping.

$35.

$35 for one chunk of metal.

I put my credit card away. Fuming, my wife wanted to know why I woke her in the first place.

So this weekend you have had to confront GW's pricing twice and been left to pick your jaw up off the floor?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize it was that bad. And to be clear, this wasn't shipping to the Thailand from the US. This was shipping to a US address for a single figure.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I played Grimdark Future today and it was pretty great. Even the Orks were competitive!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

quote:

Epic battles on a galactic scale! Warpath is coming soon and we'll be focusing on the starter armies all week on the blog

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Tbh, i can't see myself ever starting another 28mm mass combat game. Maybe resume Warmachine some time since i already have a good sized collection but other than that, not.a chance.

Scale of conflict and scale of minis should fit together and tbh, for 40k and Warmachine i think 15mm would be more appropriate. And while i'm typing, base and mini size need to fit as well. I'm looming at you and your ridiculous overhangs PP.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have they done anything good with the Warpath fluff yet, or is it still that uninspired giant corporation stuff?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Guy Goodbody posted:

Have they done anything good with the Warpath fluff yet, or is it still that uninspired giant corporation stuff?

There's a sourcebook, but if you don't like corporate dystopias or cyberpunk, it's probably not going to do anything for you

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Bistromatic posted:

Tbh, i can't see myself ever starting another 28mm mass combat game. Maybe resume Warmachine some time since i already have a good sized collection but other than that, not.a chance.

You're not the only one. Wargaming in general is moving to smaller skirmish size games. The segment of the population that played all of the army scale games is growing older and has less time, and the market is changing to reflect that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

NTRabbit posted:

There's a sourcebook, but if you don't like corporate dystopias or cyberpunk, it's probably not going to do anything for you

I don't mind cyberpunk or corporate dystopias, but only if they go crazy with it. Like Brazil, or Judge Dredd. Last I heard, Warpath was like, "the Enforcers are the private security of The Corporation, and fight for mineral rich asteroids against the Forge Fathers" as opposed to anything fun or interesting, like, "The Enforcers are the private security of the McDonalds Corporation, and fight for baby Forge Fathers, whose spinal fluid is needed to make the delicious Shamrock McRib" or "the Enforcers are the Accounting Irregularities Bureau of The Corporation, and aim to remove all discrepancies between The Corporation's accounts and the perceived world, by altering the perceived world with bullets"

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't mind cyberpunk or corporate dystopias, but only if they go crazy with it. Like Brazil, or Judge Dredd. Last I heard, Warpath was like, "the Enforcers are the private security of The Corporation, and fight for mineral rich asteroids against the Forge Fathers" as opposed to anything fun or interesting, like, "The Enforcers are the private security of the McDonalds Corporation, and fight for baby Forge Fathers, whose spinal fluid is needed to make the delicious Shamrock McRib" or "the Enforcers are the Accounting Irregularities Bureau of The Corporation, and aim to remove all discrepancies between The Corporation's accounts and the perceived world, by altering the perceived world with bullets"

There are fluff samples on the web, you can decide for yourself:

https://warpathuniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/dossier-enforcers-002.pdf

https://warpathuniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/dossier-forgefathers-001.pdf

I thought this bit had the right combo of corp speak and creepiness:

quote:

Commonly known as Dwarfs, the Forge Fathers are physically short and powerfully built, being stocky and covered in muscle.
Autopsy reports from the GCPS black science labs have revealed that Forge Fathers are possessed of an incredibly dense bone
and muscle structure, with tensile and compressive strengths an order of magnitude greater than those of humans. In live
captive tests in a variety of environments, forces well over twenty times that needed to break human bone were required to
damage the bones of Forge Father Limbs

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I don't know if they ever actually did it but wasn't one of the kickstarter goals rules for 10mm gameplay? Since Warpath is already multibase for some inexplicable reason I assume it would be easy to scale down and way cheaper to just use models from the dozens of 6/10/15mm scifi companies already out there.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Springfield Fatts posted:

I don't know if they ever actually did it but wasn't one of the kickstarter goals rules for 10mm gameplay? Since Warpath is already multibase for some inexplicable reason I assume it would be easy to scale down and way cheaper to just use models from the dozens of 6/10/15mm scifi companies already out there.

I think thats the reason why everyone talking about actually playing warpath on SA is talking about playing the firefight variant... cause mantic for some reason decided to make a warpath a game perfectly suited to 6-10mm stuff while inexplicably being 28mm.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
If Corvus Belli ever make their small scale game i'll try to convince peole to play Infinity with those minis and just use centimeters instead of inches.

(Make it 10mm so the terrain is compatible with Dropzone)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
im the 40sKaven

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I don't think I'll ever play a game that requires more models than like Bolt Action in 28mm ever again. It's just too much time and effort.

I've been playing Guild Ball lately, it owns. Paint up 9 models and you're good.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Honestly any game that takes more than 50 models and doesn't use multibasing like KoW just takes up too much time, effort, and space.

I've harped on in the past about how, if I were to play 40k ever again, it'd be strictly 3rd/4th edition. Because it WAS like 50 models per side for anything that wasn't nids and orks, and you could squeeze in a game in an afternoon and not feel like you wasted the day playing it.

Firefight seems like it'd be perfect for that sort of thing. Instead, Mantic keeps trying to shove the large-scale game down our throats and no one aside from Ronnie wants that.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Panascope and I were able to crank out a 3000pt game of 30k in less than 3 hours a few weeks ago.

But yeah, skirmish games are looking more and more appealing to me because of the low model count.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I remember seeing some talk a while back about the X-Com board game. I picked up the new Doom and it seems to be fun, but I'm looking at X-Com for something slightly different (and I can also use the X-Com soldiers as Doom marines). How was it to play? Seems to have decent-ish reviews, at least on Amazon (4/5 stars there)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm definitely excited for Firefight. I prefer games with 30-50 models per side because it forces you as a player to make difficult choices in composition. You don't get to take every toy and you're not going to be able to max out every synergy. You have to take a variety of units to cover your bases that might result in a lack of overall depth or a really specific build that might require clever play on the battlefield to be successful in a variety of circumstances.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I literally cannot remember the last time I had 3 hours of free time for myself. Maybe a few years ago while visiting family? This is why I am only really interested in games that you can get through in an hour, 90 minutes with set up and breakdown. Otherwise it's not happening, and I have plenty of games that I don't have the time to play already.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Not to sound like a broken record but Grimdark Future was a perfect balance. We did 1k points in less than two hours, and model count was fairly low. I only had two 10 man Ork Boyz w/ trucks, the warboss, a 5 man Loota squad and two buggies. Opponent was Necron so he had even less.

Edit: And it was our intro game, too. Now that we're familiar with the rules & unit tweaks I can easily see 90 minute games as possible.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 11, 2017

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Ashcans posted:

I literally cannot remember the last time I had 3 hours of free time for myself. Maybe a few years ago while visiting family? This is why I am only really interested in games that you can get through in an hour, 90 minutes with set up and breakdown. Otherwise it's not happening, and I have plenty of games that I don't have the time to play already.

have you considered checkers? That goes pretty fast for fast paced people such as yourself

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

You could even paint the pieces up really nice.

If you have time

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Hey Totalham *is* really good.
I'm terrible at it but that's something else.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hixson posted:

You could even paint the pieces up really nice.

If you have time

You say that, but you should've heard the poo poo my gaming group gave me when I brought my custom painted Blood Angels vs. World Eaters checkers set.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Guy Goodbody posted:

You say that, but you should've heard the poo poo my gaming group gave me when I brought my custom painted Blood Angels vs. World Eaters checkers set.

Rightfully so.

The blood angels should have been space wolves and you could have had an Armageddon themed board.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Every piece was painted as a different unit which was really confusing since they all behaved the same way.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hixson posted:

have you considered checkers? That goes pretty fast for fast paced people such as yourself

Normally I stick to Chutes and Ladders, because it's a fast-paced game that effectively replicates the 40k experience of rolling dice a bunch of times until I win/loes with no meaningful player decisions or choices.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Normally I stick to Chutes and Ladders, because it's a fast-paced game that effectively replicates the 40k experience of rolling dice a bunch of times until I win/loes with no meaningful player decisions or choices.

If only you had time to play more than 15 seconds of games you would know just how insanely wrong you are.

But shoots and ladders is cool. I personally like landing on ladders, but i understand the appeal of chutes too.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
There are lots of meaningful decisions in 40k. They just all happen outside of the game. Which army did you pick? Which units did you avoid selecting? How much money are you willing to spend?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
imagine having your mind so rotted by GW that "I want to play games that take 90 minutes or less" comes across as implausibly weird

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
The fun + cool thing about games that don't take too long is that if you have more free time you can get a couple rounds in, so you get a chance to try something different if you lost your first game or you just weren't having the best time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I remember it was a pretty great night at the FLGS when I could get in two games of 40k in 5 hours. And this was back in 3rd edition before the game got really stupid.

• Locked thread