Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you look in the picture he didn't drill out the middle of the beam for his plumbing. He cut holes in the bottom of the webbing.

I am pretty sure that drain line is original from the tub that he removed and that it is hole-sawed, they just missed on one of the cuts and made a bonus hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

AND this 1/8" drill bit that came with my shelf kit! I'll just drill a bunch of tiny holes in a 1" circle then smash it out! Talk about can-do attitude!

I don't know why this is a problem, can you explain what the problem is with this?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

WrenP-Complete posted:

Like a hammock tub?

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/JyTHY6o

Sorry, I'm up in the middle of the night phone posting, so not sure how to post pictures from that gallery right now.

Edit: now I'm making tea.

Is that.... is that Princess Leia?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I can't tell if it's flexible or not, or which is worse

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bar88537 posted:

I don't know why this is a problem, can you explain what the problem is with this?

You can use an old toothbrush to spread peanut butter. Doesn't mean you should.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

FCKGW posted:

You can use an old toothbrush to spread peanut butter. Doesn't mean you should.

Spoiler alert: This is actually how you get the bubble gum out of your drill bit later on, but then we're skipping a few steps in the instructable for this project.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Jestery posted:

I can't tell if it's flexible or not, or which is worse

Also seems to come in gold color:

This one isnt a hammock but is hanging:

And a more "proper hammock"

Same one, different owner, I think:

(whoa, how does all the engineering stuff work around curves?)

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 10, 2017

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Is that.... is that Princess Leia?

When you're bourgeois enough for a suspended bathtub, there's no way you're going in there without your gold bangles.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I just watched the Grand designs episode with the hammock tub last night. It cost £16,500 for a black one and the guy had a £100,000 budget for a container house. I think he ended up 30k over. Season 12 episode 4 on Netflix.

I think you can slide a $5,000 container under your bathroom to hold up those beams. The strength is in the ends so maybe just the tip.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Looks very suspiciously like a slingshot.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

My Lovely Horse posted:

Looks very suspiciously like a slingshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2zC7Zsrf6E

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Antifreeze Head posted:

For as terrible as an idea as this was, I do want to congratulate you on some very clean and straight cuts there. What kind of saw did you use?

I tacked a guide board to the side of the beam then just ran my skill saw on the guide. For the edges I touched them up with an oscillating tool. It worked out pretty well.

In other news, just had another contractor come by. He seemed a little bit unsure about the joists, but it didn't really stop him (He just called back and thinks it would be best to go back to stock). I think he was more concerned with the amount of tile work I wanted him to do and how much that's going to cost.

I learned some new things though:
- Bathroom vents with humidity sensors are now required even if you have a window.
- Any light receptacles with screw in fixtures must be connected to motion sensors (even if they are LED) (fortunately I won't have any)
- I probably can't have my shower glass go all the way to the ceiling like I wanted due to humidity reasons.

He also made a few design recommendations that I may consider as revisions to my project. All in all, another good meeting. Looking forward to some exciting quotes.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Where is the drain?

Somehow, I think that it'll be Jeff Spiccoli in the hammock, turning around and saying 'righteous bucks".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Where is the drain?

Somehow, I think that it'll be Jeff Spiccoli in the hammock, turning around and saying 'righteous bucks".

Drain? Those aren't for use, they're to show off your wealth and increase resale value. What sort of idiot prole designs things in their house to be functional?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Where is the drain?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The hammock shaped 'Vessel' is mounted with steel brackets across two walls facing each other. It is 8’9” x 2’6” in dimension and requires a tall standing tap by its side to complement the whole style. It should preferably be installed in a wet room to allow water to drain out of the tub into a floor drain and retain the ‘suspended’ look. However, for practical purposes, a drainpipe is also available.

Carbon fiber weave construction with a foam core for insulation make the Vessel light weight as well as strong. It is large enough to accommodate two at a time and is available in red, blue, black yellow, pink, silver and bronze to go with its surroundings. A limited edition luxury design, this hole-in-the-pocket bathtub costs about $34,000 and is made by Splinter Works.

Thirty-four goddamn thousand earth dollars.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I know some people who do carbon fiber work and there is no way this thing should cost more than a nice car. As a cool one-off order something like that could be made by any half decent shop for the 5-6k range as a whole design-build deal. Something mass produced should be maybe 1000.

34k, that's just insane. I'm sure they justify 90% of that cost for the artistic sculptural value of their brilliant design.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

I know some people who do carbon fiber work and there is no way this thing should cost more than a nice car. As a cool one-off order something like that could be made by any half decent shop for the 5-6k range as a whole design-build deal. Something mass produced should be maybe 1000.

34k, that's just insane. I'm sure they justify 90% of that cost for the artistic sculptural value of their brilliant design.

I always try to remind myself that design and engineering cost money too. Does it bump up your estimate at all to factor in how it has to be load-bearing?

And I guess it has foam in it too. I don't stay up-to-date on foam prices. Does foam cost thirty thousand dollars now.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
some people have to spend their nonexistent kids college fund somewhere :shrug:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
if you can get away with selling luxury fuckin hammock bathtubs for 34k just fuckin go for it

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I bet you can sell them speakers and gold plated speaker wire too.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Elendil004 posted:

I bet you can sell them speakers and gold plated speaker wire too.

home audio is rad friend. you can sell me that stuff.. well not the gold poo poo.. the nice poo poo though maybe.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Considering how hard it is to get in and out of a normal hammock without smashing your head onto a rock/the ground, I can't imagine making the floor wet and slippery at the same is going to help.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Granite Octopus posted:

Considering how hard it is to get in and out of a normal hammock without smashing your head onto a rock/the ground, I can't imagine making the floor wet and slippery at the same is going to help.

:rolleyes: if you dont have at least 2 handmaidens kneeling at the edge with towels on their backs.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Baronjutter posted:

The price is a selling point, not a drawback. Someone buying that poo poo wants to be sure that when they're slumming it with their government worker friends, they're not going to find out they have the same gimmick tub.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Granite Octopus posted:

This is of course not a thing designed to be used. It's a thing you, as a developer or architect or luxury house flipper, put in a "feature bathroom" to photograph well and look good in your portfolio and to make your luxury house appeal more to the idiotic rich buyer who is buying the house not so much to live in, but as a status symbol and/or investment to then flip in a few years because prices always go up.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OMGVBFLOL posted:

The price is a selling point, not a drawback. Someone buying that poo poo wants to be sure that when they're slumming it with their government worker friends, they're not going to find out they have the same gimmick tub.

Honestly this type of thing is sort of like concept cars and runway clothes - a lot of these sorts of designs never get sold at all. If this is installed in even twenty homes worldwide right now I'd be amazed.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
That thirty four thousand dollar hammock tub is still cheaper than OP's tub.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Lladre posted:

lol

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Lladre posted:

:master:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Lladre posted:

:perfect:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Lladre posted:

Goddamn

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lladre posted:

Harsh

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
All this preproduction on The Money Pit 2 is going to make it a really good movie.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The Washroom of Wall Street

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bEatmstrJ posted:

I learned some new things though:
- Bathroom vents with humidity sensors are now required even if you have a window.
- Any light receptacles with screw in fixtures must be connected to motion sensors (even if they are LED) (fortunately I won't have any)
- I probably can't have my shower glass go all the way to the ceiling like I wanted due to humidity reasons.

Those first two points sound like commercial rather than residential requirements. You might want to call your city and ask them. I know in California you can't sell a light without an LED bulb in it (this is why you can't order lamps off target.com for example.) You said you're in LA, do mean city proper or county? Also will you sell tickets to go lay in repose precariously across the cut beams?

The third point is what you want regardless. Or to put your exhaust fan in the shower with you. It will get plenty steamy.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bathroom vents with humidity sensors are a good idea regardless and if you're going this deep into a reno might as well add that relatively minor piece.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Those first two points sound like commercial rather than residential requirements. You might want to call your city and ask them. I know in California you can't sell a light without an LED bulb in it (this is why you can't order lamps off target.com for example.) You said you're in LA, do mean city proper or county? Also will you sell tickets to go lay in repose precariously across the cut beams?

The third point is what you want regardless. Or to put your exhaust fan in the shower with you. It will get plenty steamy.

Apparently the humidity fan thing is a new requirement. But the LED bulb thing I can see being very California. We're all energy anal around here. I'm not in LA proper, about an hour away in Riverside County. You can buy tickets to the beams if you want. I've already stood and sat on them numerous times to do various tasks. They aren't going anywhere for now.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

I met with another contractor today. He did a very thorough inspection and said everything looks good as is. He recommended leaving the subfloor off. He appears to be licensed judging by those credentials around his neck and he had very reasonable rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

He thinks it doesn't need to be repaired?

• Locked thread