Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
wow that's dumb as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
*edit - poo poo, sorry, wrong thread! Gamepad for sure in this game

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Romes128 posted:

there's literally an evade button though? is there not a keyboard binding for it?

let me describe square enix PC ports in general real quick:

:itwaspoo:

the only question is if you can manage to avoid enough of the horrible porting issues to enjoy the underlying game

there's a reason a fan-made patch is considered pretty important to have for NA

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Has anyone else ever had Emil's first bossfight just randomly kill itself? I fought it like four times, and on the last try it just started taking insane amounts of damage for no apparent reason and the fight ended after about 6 seconds.

ninja edit: also, is the XP bar bugged? it seems to take your ENTIRE XP into account in the amount left til next level, so the progress is always just a tiny sliver to the next level-up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tunahead posted:

Yoko Taro became a thing when the zeitgeist caught up with him.

Yoko Taro thought about how most video games are about committing mass murder but bizarrely their protagonists just act like regular normal people. In 2003, he released Drakengard, which is the story of an enormous bloodbath and the mass murderer who revels in it. In 2012, Spec Ops: The Line did a similar thing and people praised it for its amazing story.

Don't forget No More Heroes was doing something similar in 2007.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

so when did Yoko Taro actually become like, "a thing", did Drakengard actually get a cult fanbase based on the insane protaginist, or was it after everyone seemed to like the writing in Nier (since Drakengard 2 only peripherally involved Yoko)

I'm pretty sure the incredibly dull SE E3 2015 presentation being interrupted by the weird guy wearing an Emil mask is what initially caught people's attention. Since Cavia isn't a thing anymore, Taro was the big linking factor between the new game and the old, which wasn't much but it was enough to make people remember him.

That combined with Nier's cult following freaking out over a sequel and Platinum Game's reputation for the very recent Metal Gear Rising got a lot of people hyped. I remember most gaming site's streams of that E3 had at least one guy who played Nier and was pumped to see a sequel announced, and completely separately other guys who had played Platinum's Games stuff were hyped over their involvement. So the hype culture surrounding games actually worked to Nier's benefit.

Taro recently tweeted that he gained like 30000 followers in the last three months, so his popularity is very recent and pretty directly tied to Nier Automata, since that was around the time the demo dropped and the butt controversy happened. Also a bunch of interviews have happened where he had some entertaining anecdotes and he was streaming the game pretty regularly before that so anyone with even a little bit of curiosity would have heard about him before the game was out. From there word of mouth happens and he's now on his way to being the next Kojima/Suda 51.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

SatansBestBuddy posted:

he's now on his way to being the next Kojima/Suda 51.

I'm actually a bit worried he's gonna get tangentially added to projects like Suda just to use his name for marketing. SINoALICE already feels like it's gonna be like that

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I played and appreciated Drakengard before it was cool

there is nothing to appreciate about drakengard outside of how much contempt it has for anyone who dares to even look at it

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Drakengard is good

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Cardboard Box posted:

there is nothing to appreciate about drakengard outside of how much contempt it has for anyone who dares to even look at it

But I love it. I want more games to hate my guts for daring to play it

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

let me tell you about a little game called bubsy 3d

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Heath posted:

I thought The Bouncer predates it.

The Bouncer doesn't (It was pre-merger), but Crystal Chronicles and Sword of Mana do.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Supremezero posted:

The Bouncer doesn't (It was pre-merger), but Crystal Chronicles and Sword of Mana do.

Squeenix didn't publish Crystal Chronicles, they developed it in conjunction with Nintendo, and Nintendo did the publishing

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A couple hours into route C, and I managed to get ending 'O.' Twice. Once on purpose, and once because I didn't realize you were meant to stay in the hole until the hacking was complete. I wasn't trying to abandon the mission, I just thought it would be better to stay on the move!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Getting endings by accident is one of the things that make this game what it is. :allears:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Zeerust posted:

ninja edit: also, is the XP bar bugged? it seems to take your ENTIRE XP into account in the amount left til next level, so the progress is always just a tiny sliver to the next level-up.

pfff, who needs it anyway? waste of good chip slots. You level when you level, seeing some dumb bar isn't going to change anything :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
seriously, who needs to see how much xp they have?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I played with the XP chip for a while before realizing the healing numbers popping out of my head were always covering up the XP numbers anyway.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Mazerunner posted:

pfff, who needs it anyway? waste of good chip slots. You level when you level, seeing some dumb bar isn't going to change anything :v:

oh, sure, I didn't even bother buying it this time after my last save where by the end I was pulling out as many HUD elements as I could reasonably afford to lose. It just seems to be a poor investment even by the standard of knowing how much XP you need to level up.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Zeerust posted:

oh, sure, I didn't even bother buying it this time after my last save where by the end I was pulling out as many HUD elements as I could reasonably afford to lose. It just seems to be a poor investment even by the standard of knowing how much XP you need to level up.

I actually never bought it, after getting burned by the fishing spots one, which as far as I can tell is the single most useless chip in the whole game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tunahead posted:

Yoko Taro became a thing when the zeitgeist caught up with him.

Yoko Taro thought about how most video games are about committing mass murder but bizarrely their protagonists just act like regular normal people. In 2003, he released Drakengard, which is the story of an enormous bloodbath and the mass murderer who revels in it. In 2012, Spec Ops: The Line did a similar thing and people praised it for its amazing story.

In 2010, Yoko Taro made Nier, a game about an apocalypse that turned people into really unusual zombies and the morally ambiguous dad who had to live in that dying world with his daughter. In 2013, The Last of Us did a similar thing and people praised it for its amazing story.

The gaps seem to be getting shorter so I look forward to a game being released later this year that wins all the awards for its amazing story about androids and robots fighting over a dead Earth in the distant future.

Drakengards story is choppy and kind of a mess, so missing it isn't crazy.

It tries to do stuff but it doesn't do them very well

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Speaking of useless HUD chips, what does the sound waves one even do? I had it equipped for a while assuming it would be useful somewhere, but apparently not.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Grand Spectacle Platinum End Bosses:

Jubileus (Dea)
Steven "Senator" Armstrong
Jergingha (Planet Destruction Form)
The words "Square Enix Co. Ltd."

I was not prepared for the wringer that this game put me through. This thing is a testament to all that video games can be.

I wonder if the Taro/Platinum partnership will continue. I hope it does and we get something completely new. I hope we get a project helmed by both Taro and Kamiya. I mean... come on. Nintendo and Microsoft have both played the "Give Hideki Kamiya a sack of money and a deadline and wait" gambit, Microsoft went and Microsofted all over theirs but we got The Wonderful 101 (and arguably Bayonetta 2) out of Nintendo's. Let's see Sony's!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You get one of those little volume bar graph things above your life bar. That's it. I left the fish chip installed because I assumed you couldn't fish without it. And then there's the Death Rattle chip which causes robots to scream when they explode after a hacking attempt. It's pointless, but tbh I like having the option to screw around with that stuff.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Finished ending C does it matter who I pick for the fight between A2 and 9S?

Now trying to mop up some quests but I'm having some serious problems on that front like what is up with the Wise Machines and Pascals Old World Data collection quests?

also holy balls this game tugs at my heart at times, such a bleak and depressing journey

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Who you pick determines whether you get C or D.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Martout posted:

Now trying to mop up some quests but I'm having some serious problems on that front like what is up with the Wise Machines and Pascals Old World Data collection quests?

also holy balls this game tugs at my heart at times, such a bleak and depressing journey

To answer your first question, yes. If you make the other choice, you get the other ending; choosing both moves directly into ending E after getting the second ending.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Saagonsa posted:

Speaking of useless HUD chips, what does the sound waves one even do? I had it equipped for a while assuming it would be useful somewhere, but apparently not.

I bought the mini-map HUD chip, then realized I had been duped, sold that chip. Worried myself that I had somehow sold both and then bought it again. So I had two again. :parrot:

Chip system is bad. Good to know those chips are useless. I was THIS CLOSE to buying the fish one.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

I bought the mini-map HUD chip, then realized I had been duped, sold that chip. Worried myself that I had somehow sold both and then bought it again. So I had two again. :parrot:

Chip system is bad. Good to know those chips are useless. I was THIS CLOSE to buying the fish one.

Yeah it tells you when you can fish. Like, when you're next to a body of water. Maybe you wouldn't guess right off the bat that the pool of oil had fish in it? But I don't see how anyone wouldn't cast a line in their first thing they do.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CharlestheHammer posted:

It tries to do stuff

That's already enough to elevate it above a lot of the industry.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Martout posted:

Wise machines: hack em. There are three, although they aren't technically a 'quest'. They'll reset everytime you use chapter select even if you've done all three.

Pascal thing: you know in speedstar's first race, you go up the big tree root that goes over/through a building? Inside that building there's a hacking chest ending spoiler for that quest you can turn it into pascal with no repercussions, but I think even more rewards, so do that

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Look Sir Droids posted:

The fish, sound wave display, and xp chip do exactly what they say they do :v:. I don't think the chip system was the problematic part here. Also their cost - both slots and G - becomes entirely negligible rather early on.
Not that that makes them any more useful of course.

And "optimizing" out on the savepoint display chip royally hosed me in the Tower, which was genuinely hilarious.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Heath posted:

Drakengard is the most miserable loving game

Yeah. I mean I brought Drakengard when it first came out and loved the bleak tone and the details like the weapon stories, but let's not kid ourselves. Drakengard did not fail to sell because it was ahead of its time. It failed to sell because as a game it was a dull loving slog to play through.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
gently caress YEEEEESSSSSS!! IT'S HERE!

Let it be known that Sefal is now my favorite person on this forum.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah. I mean I brought Drakengard when it first came out and loved the bleak tone and the details like the weapon stories, but let's not kid ourselves. Drakengard did not fail to sell because it was ahead of its time. It failed to sell because as a game it was a dull loving slog to play through.

It was his best selling game until Automata

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I just found Iron Will lying on the ground there still relatively early on while trying out the Scanner function. Was I supposed to?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It's not a bug or anything, if that's what you're asking - that's where Iron Will is. You could have noticed it or not.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I think it's supposed to clue you in that you can find items all over the place if you use it, but it's the only important thing you'll need it to find, so unless you're really hurting for weapon materials, you don't need to worry about it the rest of your playthrough.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I think it's supposed to clue you in that you can find items all over the place if you use it, but it's the only important thing you'll need it to find, so unless you're really hurting for weapon materials, you don't need to worry about it the rest of your playthrough.
Phoenix Lance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Mazerunner posted:

Wise machines: hack em. There are three, although they aren't technically a 'quest'. They'll reset everytime you use chapter select even if you've done all three.

Pascal thing: you know in speedstar's first race, you go up the big tree root that goes over/through a building? Inside that building there's a hacking chest ending spoiler for that quest you can turn it into pascal with no repercussions, but I think even more rewards, so do that

that did the trick cheers, I knew about the wise machines thing but thought them coming back was a bug

just one more quest in the chapters before the Grun fight but I have no clue which one, no red dots, no mail, nothing. guess I just have to run around until I find something :shrug: