Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've always felt like FF6 got pretty good when your party gets split up at the river, because that's when you meet a lot of other members like Celes and Cyan. The scope at that point appropriately expands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I've played FF6 a million times and I agree that it starts slow, and the 3 way party split is a very boring section of the game, especially the Sabin/Cyan part.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's one of the best parts of the game, though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kramdar posted:

Is there a good tutorial? The first couple I found on google weren't too promising.

They're all about the same. Honestly it's much easier to just buy one of the cables pre made like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/XBOX-Origin...t0AAOSwImRYXAdW

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I'm going to throw out probably an unpopular question:

When does FF3US/FF6 get good? I'm ~two hours in and willpower is fading fast.

Two hours in means you probably haven't unlocked significant options for characters yet, but the basics are in place. If you've hit the branching paths (you'll know what this means) and you're not liking the game, though, it's okay to walk away. Life is too short to play games you hate. Unless you're me, in which case you sometimes play games you hate out of sheer spite.

falz posted:

Most of what I saw were at or higher than ebay, with haggle expectations. I was able to do some close-enough to 1:1 deals for trade with some dealers. For price examples, the Genesis TMNT game was there for $80 to $100, and someone said they got it CIB for $50 at the last minute sunday as they were closing down (I didn't see it or know the person, they could be full of poo poo). Castlevania Bloodlines was anywhere from $75 to $130, I think the cardboard one was more expensive (because ???).

Also, I did see some idiot drop his newly purchased Neo Geo AES after he took a half dozen steps away from that dealers table. It was in a plastic bag with handles and everything.

As someone who has worked that kind of event many times in the past, I can assure you that final hours "I don't want to load this into the truck/I need to pay for the table" discounts are common.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I haven't done any of that yet and I have no idea what you're talking about so I'll just keep going through with the understanding that I'm probably just building up to something more fun.

And if it still sucks then I'll just play some of the other dozens of RPGs I missed out on in my childhood :D

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Kramdar posted:

Inspired by the other guy modding, I decided to bite the bullet and do it myself. A couple years ago Tyson Tomko offered to add the exploit to a memory card I mailed him. I just learned today that he only added a block that said linux on the icon, but no exploit save for Splinter Cell. Am I dead in the water with that card? And should I just go the USB route now? I have an extra breakaway cable, a USB extension cord, even a PS/2 USB adapter.

Sorry for the delay, I'm WAYYY out of date and am literally 2000 posts behind on this thread and haven't checked it since my kid was born.

It's been a while back but I'm pretty sure the file I sent you was for Mechwarrior (non-platinum edition) and it should be ultra easy to do. I've never went the USB route but I've used the exploit saves with Splinter Cell and Mechwarrior a zillion times without issue. You basically fire up the xbox, use the memory card manager deal (xbox default one) to copy the file to the xbox's hard drive, fire up the game, load the save file, then the exploit fires off and does its thing.

I'll try to get caught up on the thread but feel free to shoot me a PM or post again with any questions. I still use my modded xbox WAY more than I really should just because it's so cool and incredibly easy to get a 4p game of anything going asap. Since I haven't posted a pic of it in a while, I present to you my modded xbox, with the :hellyeah: custom skin my brother got me for it like 10+ years ago.

Even upgrading the hard drives can be easy peezy if you've got the right hardware/cables. I love spreading modded xbox love so let me know if I can do anything to help and good luck!

edit: You know, make sure you're copying that file from the mem card to the xbox's internal hard drive. I use MechWarrior 99% of the time and it's been so long I can't remember what I sent you but that could be causing your hangup too.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 10, 2017

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

falz posted:

Small amount of stuff that was picked up, mostly trade:

I used to rent Death Duel all the time as a kid. It's a big time piece of poo poo. It was also the only game at my local rental shop with "Parental Warning" stickers slapped all over it for some reason.

Meanwhile 3 shelves over was Splatterhouse 3 with no parental warning stickers and a bunch of cutscenes that gave 8-year-old me horrible nightmares.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RichterIX posted:

I used to rent Death Duel all the time as a kid. It's a big time piece of poo poo. It was also the only game at my local rental shop with "Parental Warning" stickers slapped all over it for some reason.

The woman announcing rounds wears an extremely tight t-shirt, if you know what I mean (can't post a screen shot of it at the moment, but I'm going to assume that you can figure out what it looks like). Death Duel is a miserable game, probably the worst Genesis game I own. And I have a copy of Altered Beast. :v:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Random Stranger posted:

The woman announcing rounds wears an extremely tight t-shirt, if you know what I mean (can't post a screen shot of it at the moment, but I'm going to assume that you can figure out what it looks like). Death Duel is a miserable game, probably the worst Genesis game I own. And I have a copy of Altered Beast. :v:

Oh poo poo, I forgot all about that. I also looked it up and she says "Kick his asteroids" which is too much for 1993 apparently.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RichterIX posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot all about that. I also looked it up and she says "Kick his asteroids" which is too much for 1993 apparently.

And she has a few other more direct innuendo lines. Really, for an era of making video games for thirteen year olds, Death Duel really stands out for going after them.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Random Stranger posted:

I enjoyed Death Duel at the time mostly because "Woah weird aliens you can shoot apart! Cool!" but drat, running out of ammo during a match with absolutely no other options was pretty silly.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Buy me Death Duel or go to hell

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love my modded Xbox already a week into it. Such a underrated console :3.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Had fun with the LttP randomizer. Castle dungeon gave me bombs, exploring the overworld gave me high-end sword, red tunic, golden bee in bottle, and a ton of heart pieces/containers. Now I'm stuck at a point where I need arrows for the first dungeon that gave me flippers, can't get into the other two, and generally can't progress because I don't remember every chest location. I've hunted down nearly all of them but must be missing something crucial somewhere.

Really fun way to play LttP but I might be finished here.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

GutBomb posted:

The Gaming Historian is pretty good. A little dry sometimes but goes really in depth. Pretty similar to the LGR Tech Tales series.

The Gaming Historian is YouTube's equivalent to a PBS documentarian. I always learn something cool and new watching one of his videos, but he's pretty far removed from the gaming-history-as-entertainment thing that everyone else seems to be doing.

Also a big fan of Jeremy Parish, who's a little less dry and has been doing some great work with Game Boy World and Good Nintentions.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Wings of Wor has a loy of neat art and visual tricks but I suck at it and will likely never see past level 2.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I bought death duel knowing it's supposed to be bad. I already have techno cop and pigskin footbrawl so I may as well find the remaining razor soft games when I see them.

I put it in last night and had a little fun. You have to buy ammo between rounds, but the in game shop UI is laid out so terribly that it if you choose Exit before it wants you to it flips to a different screen with a slow scrolling wall of text attempting to explain the process.

Also altered beast is a fine game, I still don't see why it gets so much hate.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Had fun with the LttP randomizer. Castle dungeon gave me bombs, exploring the overworld gave me high-end sword, red tunic, golden bee in bottle, and a ton of heart pieces/containers. Now I'm stuck at a point where I need arrows for the first dungeon that gave me flippers, can't get into the other two, and generally can't progress because I don't remember every chest location. I've hunted down nearly all of them but must be missing something crucial somewhere.

Really fun way to play LttP but I might be finished here.

Anybody you gives you something will be randomized, so you can go to the Zora who sells you the flippers now and get whatever they have. Even though you don't have the power glove, you can get into the whirlpool and warp to there.

The fountain fairies are the only characters that seem to not be changed like this. You can still get the magic boomerang the same way and they give you red potions for empty bottles, but no other upgrades. However, a few chests have been placed in the large fairy's room to make up for that. Oh, and the bomb and arrow upgrade fairy only gives you one additional capacity for each 100 rupees, though the dialog is still the same.

falz posted:

Also altered beast is a fine game, I still don't see why it gets so much hate.

I was joking a little bit since I know the game has its fans. But I really hate the "walk in a straight line and punch or kick other people who come at you in a straight line" genre.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Altered Beast is fun to mess with, especially when you have two players. But it's short, simple, and built on dull memorization. It doesn't leave you with much of a reason to go back to it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Kid Fenris posted:

Altered Beast is fun to mess with, especially when you have two players. But it's short, simple, and built on dull memorization. It doesn't leave you with much of a reason to go back to it.

Altered Beast on Genesis was most fun when you used the code to use whatever beast you wanted on whatever level. Dragon all the time!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Didn't know there was a code for that. will have to try.

To those that are not a fan: did you play it when it came out (arcade or Genesis) or much later? I and others that like it probably played it when it was released. I played the gently caress out of it on my launch Genesis for probably weeks. So many colours on screen at once, it was amazing!

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Even at that level of collecting, you have choices at MGC. Also it's an unwritten rule that the prices on whatever are almost always negotiable other than super low or super high prices (hello $1500 Little Samson cart).

I had to laugh at that $1500 cart-only copy when there was a CIB Little Samson around the corner priced at $1400. Which is still insane, but not outright rapacious like that cart was.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Was the Altered Beast port on the Genesis the first game that allowed players to "interact" with the credits? I remember being able to punck/kick names to progress faster, and don't remember that ever happening prior.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Altered Beast was the first Genesis game I saw/played, and I remember being impressed by the art and voice samples and how different it looked compared to games on the NES (I didn't know it was originally an arcade game until a while later). I found the controls stiff and not that fun to play for more than a few minutes though (never got past that first boss), which probably helped convince me not to get a Genesis. I was mainly playing Mario 3, TMNT 2, Super C, and Mega Man 3 at the time, so even games like Castlevania felt slow-paced and hard to get into.

Edit: After firing Altered Beast up again, it was definitely the giant floaty jumps that I wasn't a fan of.

Anyway, its not bad as a Genesis launch title, and it showed the system's capabilities as far as arcade ports. Definitely better than bundling Sewer Shark with the Sega CD.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

falz posted:

To those that are not a fan: did you play it when it came out (arcade or Genesis) or much later? I and others that like it probably played it when it was released. I played the gently caress out of it on my launch Genesis for probably weeks. So many colours on screen at once, it was amazing!

I played the arcade game back when it was new and the Genesis not that long after that. It really is the genre that I hate; Altered Beast is probably the best of them and find it completely unpleasant to play.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Altered Beast on Amiga owns so hard for the soundtrack alone. I found it very haunting and atmospheric when I watched an LP of it ages ago. Really liked the world design too, despite how simple the game itself may've been.

falz posted:

So many colours on screen at once, it was amazing!

Ha, I remember reacting this way to Super Mario World when the SNES launched. Young me was totally blown away that I was playing such a colorful game!

Sooooo, I've finally decided to get rid of what I consider to be one of my coolest belongings... I've had this sucker for probably 15 years now, but at this point, it'd be better off with someone who would use it.

That is a 21" Dell Trinitron CRT. That's an X-Arcade stick on top for scale. :v: It's in great shape - base is a little dirty, but the screen has no geometry problems that I can see. I've taken great care of it - it's just sat in my garage for years and years at this point. I just fired it up the other day, hooked to one of my retropies, and the picture quality is amazing.

What the thread might be most interested in, however, is the rear end end of it...

... it has RGB input!

I've used the RGB input with my TG16 and a little Extron composite-to-VGA/RGB scaler I have, and it looked pretty good. I'm sure straight RGB from one of your fancy-pants modded SNESs or something would look fantastic.

Ideally, because I don't want to risk shipping it / pay to ship it [it's loving heavy as you can imagine, and being an old CRT, I don't want to take chances damaging it] I'd like to sell it local to the Washington / Oregon area. If you're in western WA or OR, and you want this behemoth, hit me up.

One of you please give it a good home, it owns a lot but I just don't really have the room. :smith:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Anybody you gives you something will be randomized, so you can go to the Zora who sells you the flippers now and get whatever they have. Even though you don't have the power glove, you can get into the whirlpool and warp to there.

The fountain fairies are the only characters that seem to not be changed like this. You can still get the magic boomerang the same way and they give you red potions for empty bottles, but no other upgrades. However, a few chests have been placed in the large fairy's room to make up for that. Oh, and the bomb and arrow upgrade fairy only gives you one additional capacity for each 100 rupees, though the dialog is still the same.

Good info here, but I was still stuck. I even ran through a couple guides and just could not find something.

I generated a new ROM that turned out to be a veritable piņata and I'm having a blast.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
A laundromat I used to go to a lot as a kid had an Altered Beast arcade machine (since, hey, you probably have a pocket full of quarters and time to burn waiting for the dryer to finish). It always struck me as being a serious quarter muncher if you wanted to get anywhere in it, which makes sense for an arcade machine, but I suspect Sega didn't really change those core gameplay mechanics for the Genesis version.

Admittedly, though, it's hard to think of how it could be much improved...

Code Jockey posted:

Sooooo, I've finally decided to get rid of what I consider to be one of my coolest belongings... I've had this sucker for probably 15 years now, but at this point, it'd be better off with someone who would use it.

That is a 21" Dell Trinitron CRT. That's an X-Arcade stick on top for scale. :v: It's in great shape - base is a little dirty, but the screen has no geometry problems that I can see. I've taken great care of it - it's just sat in my garage for years and years at this point. I just fired it up the other day, hooked to one of my retropies, and the picture quality is amazing.

What the thread might be most interested in, however, is the rear end end of it...

... it has RGB input!

I've used the RGB input with my TG16 and a little Extron composite-to-VGA/RGB scaler I have, and it looked pretty good. I'm sure straight RGB from one of your fancy-pants modded SNESs or something would look fantastic.

Ideally, because I don't want to risk shipping it / pay to ship it [it's loving heavy as you can imagine, and being an old CRT, I don't want to take chances damaging it] I'd like to sell it local to the Washington / Oregon area. If you're in western WA or OR, and you want this behemoth, hit me up.

One of you please give it a good home, it owns a lot but I just don't really have the room. :smith:

You should probably post the model number so people can look up specs on it. RGBHV is essentially VGA, just using BNC connectors rather than the 15-pin DSUB one. The key to it being useful for old console RGB is if it can do a 15.7 Khz horizontal scan rate, rather than the typical baseline ~30 Khz rate that most VGA and above monitors used starting in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kthulhu5000 posted:

You should probably post the model number so people can look up specs on it. RGBHV is essentially VGA, just using BNC connectors rather than the 15-pin DSUB one. The key to it being useful for old console RGB is if it can do a 15.7 Khz horizontal scan rate, rather than the typical baseline ~30 Khz rate that most VGA and above monitors used starting in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Ohhh, I see. Okay, I'll get that info when I get home.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Code Jockey posted:

Ohhh, I see. Okay, I'll get that info when I get home.

Also, even if it is a bog-standard CRT PC monitor (so really only useful for PCs), you could try offering it in the Retrocomputer Gaming Megathread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

There might be people looking to upgrade their old DOS/Win9x vintage systems with a bigger monitor.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Random Stranger posted:

I played the arcade game back when it was new and the Genesis not that long after that. It really is the genre that I hate; Altered Beast is probably the best of them and find it completely unpleasant to play.

I like Bad Dudes a lot more than Altered Beast.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Super Famicom games did not originally have a plastic seal right?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Super Famicom games did not originally have a plastic seal right?

Doing a Google Image Search for "super famicom cib" suggests that a lot of games had a plastic holder that the cartridge came in. It seems pretty consistently present across the images of games I'm seeing, so I imagine it was a standard thing to include by the manufacturer in order to prevent carts from being knocked around or battering the game.

If you're talking about shrinkwrapping on the cartridge or game box, I'm not sure if that was ever common back in the day. I would bet that most of it you might see today is freshly added.

http://www.imgrum.org/media/1240044408078449236_2752683693

The pic in the link above suggests that it wasn't a standard practice, even for brand new games.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Also, even if it is a bog-standard CRT PC monitor (so really only useful for PCs), you could try offering it in the Retrocomputer Gaming Megathread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

There might be people looking to upgrade their old DOS/Win9x vintage systems with a bigger monitor.

So it turns out it's a D1626HT, which appears to only support 30hz and above. :smith:

Guess I'll take a shot at the retrocomputer thread. Thanks!

e. Holy poo poo the manual goes into an insane level of depth on how to disassemble, diagnose and repair this thing, that's good to know I guess!

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 11, 2017

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

cosmicjim posted:

I like Bad Dudes a lot more than Altered Beast.

Bad Dudes is great and would be worth playing just for the post-boss voice sample. "Grrime brad!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The only fighting game on Genesis that I've ever played was a game called Eternal Champions. I played it once for maybe two fights in 1996 and had to look up the name of the game and deduce what it was because the only character I remembered was a black guy with a visor. It seems like a poo poo game based on this taunt and finisher video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv3P6Z6h4vE

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Good info here, but I was still stuck. I even ran through a couple guides and just could not find something.

I generated a new ROM that turned out to be a veritable piņata and I'm having a blast.

Hard mode lives up to its name FWIW. A lot of the heart containers are removed, chests that used to give you minor useful things now have stuff like 1 arrow or negative rupees, and prices are significantly increased on everything. I've managed to worm my way to my first boss, the moth, but with hardly any magic, five hearts, and no easy way to replenish health, he's a bastard. Kills me in three hits and I'm not sure it would be worth the 500 rupees to fill my bottles with helpful potions. I might actually go get some green potion which is only 100 bucks.

Star Man posted:

The only fighting game on Genesis that I've ever played was a game called Eternal Champions. I played it once for maybe two fights in 1996 and had to look up the name of the game and deduce what it was because the only character I remembered was a black guy with a visor. It seems like a poo poo game based on this taunt and finisher video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv3P6Z6h4vE

Obviously the problem is that you weren't playing with the Activator.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Eternal Champions was potentially a fantastic game. It had rich character storylines, great stage fatalities that were tough to get, and really cool character design. Then they screwed it up by making the controls weird button combos and special moves limited. Designed for the failed before it launched Activator. Seriously, whoever came up with that said "Remember how successful the Power Glove was? Let's make something that's harder to use!

Also it was hard as hell.

I'd love to see a remake that uses traditional 6 button fighting game controls and limit the "chi" to super versions of the moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Random Stranger posted:

Obviously the problem is that you weren't playing with the Activator.

Sure.

• Locked thread