Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

She better watch out for Archie hitting on her then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cheryl Blossom is the best character.

Shneak posted:

I like that even the Coopers buy Blossom Syrup because apparently supporting local businesses comes before grudges.
I noticed that. It seemed odd.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tiggum posted:

I noticed that. It seemed odd.

I just figured the Blossoms had a monopoly on the local syrup market and what are you going to do? Not eat syrup? Like some kind of loving animal?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Maybe she just buys the syrup so she can gleefully throw it in the trash where it belongs (after eating it).

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I hope the Cooper mom has a savings account cause that school paper job can't pay that well, or at all.

Please. In Riverdale, the high school paper has a larger budget than the Riverdale Register.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Did you see the loving student lounge in that school? Their paper probably has a bigger operating budget than most real life high schools' actual budget.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The city itself is so confusing. It's apparently this small town where there's only one place to eat. But it has a giant school and a biker gang roaming around.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm guessing that biker bar had food too.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Riverdale High is basically Hearst College on Veronica Mars. It is whatever that week's episode needs it to be.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Maybe there are plenty of restaurants, but Pop's is just by far the best. The unimportant plebs who don't have speaking roles eat elsewhere.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I'm not sure why, but during the opening recap when Skeet Ulrich is giving the lowdown on the thugs that attacked the construction site, it strikes me as hilarious when they try to sell up the terror of Montreal. I assume that might have some tie-ins with the illicit maple syrup trade, but just the sentence "You know the kinds of people that have ties to Montreal" presented as foreboding is great.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
To be fair, Montreal has hella biker gang and mafia poo poo goin' on.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Plus Haitian gangs are now trying to carve a piece of rhe pie and entering a three way gang war with aforementioned mafia/bikers.

Actually organized crime in montreal is fascinating. In rhe 90's hell's angels and the banditoes had a massive war which the end of was negotiated by rhe local mafia family The Rizzutos who took power from the other mafia family in the 80's who are now losing power after key members were murdered.

Not counting the Irish gangs who act as muscle for whoever will pay them

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeesh, the more you know I guess. Probably just my American misconception that Canada is relatively safer all around than America.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Most of our gang violence is on the eastern side of the country, though Vancouver has its fair share. Prince George is really bad in BC in recent years.

Anecdotally ever member of the HA I've met in BC has been a total sweetheart. Could be biased tho, my dad was a biker.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

discworld is all I read posted:

Yeesh, the more you know I guess. Probably just my American misconception that Canada is relatively safer all around than America.

You conception was right. Montréal had 1.2 murders per 100,000 population last year, which is less than every US city with population of 250k+ except Lincoln NE, Chandler AZ, and Irvine CA.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me or is the Ep. 9 dialogue particularly terrible, robotic, and stilted?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Seemed fine to me.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I only really noticed Cheryl ever sounding stilted in some of her delivery this episode, and then she was fine again when she was being bitchy.

Dialogue's always been not great in this show.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

For more reading about the crazy poo pooThat organized crime in Montreal and QuebecHere you go

Also: Riverdale, I kinda wanna see how hosed up the Party gets that they need Molly Ringwald to set Archie straight.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bunnyofdoom posted:

For more reading about the crazy poo pooThat organized crime in Montreal and QuebecHere you go

Also: Riverdale, I kinda wanna see how hosed up the Party gets that they need Molly Ringwald to set Archie straight.

I think Cheryl drugs Archie in an act of revenge.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Codependent Poster posted:

The city itself is so confusing. It's apparently this small town where there's only one place to eat. But it has a giant school and a biker gang roaming around.

A plot in season two will be that Pop's closes down like the drive-in and Riverdale struggles with a famine.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
In the Archie universe the high school cheerleading squad is a thinly veiled pole dancing club.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In the Archie universe the high school cheerleading squad is a thinly veiled pole dancing club.

Chuck comes back and explicitly references "Dark Betty," that dance off...second commercial break and this is already shaping up to be the episode of the season.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Archie is like, the worst character in his own show.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This is the most loving confusing show on television in so many ways.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The head writer guy has an English Lit degree from Mcgill. I bet he remembered hearing about all the shady gang-rigged construction contract poo poo that goes on up in Montreal from his student days.

Also wasn't Dilton Doily supposed to be hiding the fact that he was playing with his illegal fire-arms near the lake so he wouldn't be investigated by the police? Why did he volunteer that he was at the scene of the crime in front of everyone including Cheryl and the sheriff's son? Did i forget something important or is it just supposed to be an oversite?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

crowoutofcontext posted:

Also wasn't Dilton Doily supposed to be hiding the fact that he was playing with his illegal fire-arms near the lake so he wouldn't be investigated by the police? Why did he volunteer that he was at the scene of the crime in front of everyone including Cheryl and the sheriff's son? Did i forget something important or is it just supposed to be an oversite?

He was drunk and excited to share a story.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I hate my birthday on the level that Jughead does, so my wife was laughing at me the whole time.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I can't wait to find out how Archie's mom is a horrible, petty, vindictive person!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I like the nice subtle thing that at Pop's, Jug isn't wearing his hat. Especially after he made a big deal of it to Betty in their fight.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Veronica called Jughead "Torombolo", his name in the Spanish translation of the Archie Comics. That was one great easter egg.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Chuck is awful but on some level I appreciate that he revels in it.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

esperterra posted:

I only really noticed Cheryl ever sounding stilted in some of her delivery this episode, and then she was fine again when she was being bitchy.

Dialogue's always been not great in this show.

Her lip liner was also very crooked in one scene. Get it together Cheryl!

I know Jughead's dad is a total dud, but shouldn't he have stepped in at the party when the kids were throwing around accusations of incest and sexual assault? Nah, better just stand there and wait for the punches to start flying.

Veronica can do better. :argh:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SEX BURRITO posted:

Her lip liner was also very crooked in one scene. Get it together Cheryl!

I know Jughead's dad is a total dud, but shouldn't he have stepped in at the party when the kids were throwing around accusations of incest and sexual assault? Nah, better just stand there and wait for the punches to start flying.

Veronica can do better. :argh:

Well Jughead's dad is also trying to collect all the information he can about what is going down in the town.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Geez Archie. It's less than a week ago that your girlfriend broke up with you because you were dating another woman. Settle down a bit.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I am living for Veronica putting on glasses and getting down and dirty with some forensic account.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Codependent Poster posted:

Archie is like, the worst character in his own show.

Betty has been the protagonist from the pilot on.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

I like the nice subtle thing that at Pop's, Jug isn't wearing his hat. Especially after he made a big deal of it to Betty in their fight.
The more subtle nuance is that we get Betty without her ponytail for one of the first times in the next scene, which makes sense. But i think it was a nice touch that speaks to how Jug doesn't realize that Betty is as hosed up as he is. Her super-tight ponytail is the same as his dumb hat.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Chuck is awful but on some level I appreciate that he revels in it.
It's just honestly weird that they didn't flip Chuck and Reggie's roles on the show. Reggie is honestly much more of a scumbag in the current comics than on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

EDIT: I thought I was in the BCS thread

• Locked thread