Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Never thought I'd be cross posting from the meme thread to here, but well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Toadsmash posted:

I feel like an idiot for not having coughed up for the AA drill sooner. Lugging home a full 64-stack of diamond ore in ~15 minutes seems a bit silly.

Yeah, no poo poo. Mine's 3x3, silk touch and speed 3. It filled a diamond backpack with stone almost instantly; I had to make a void backpack specifically for stone. Lasts forever with a quintuple battery too.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. Mine's 3x3, silk touch and speed 3. It filled a diamond backpack with stone almost instantly; I had to make a void backpack specifically for stone. Lasts forever with a quintuple battery too.

I do 5x5, silk touch, speed 2. Get a diamond upgraded iron backpack with mining and void upgrades and set it to void all stone types. Voila, the backpack gets ore and ore only. No returning home until the battery runs dry. (It'll run dry long before the backpack fills.)

e. Or, if you're running Ore Excavation and tinker tool leveling, just level a cobalt head / knightslime binding / copper tool rod pick until you can put silk touch/fortune and 5 reinforced modifiers, then go crazy veinmining the world with an invincible godpick. Just bring lots of food.

modpack is Age of Engineering with about 8 additional mods

e2. The invincible godpick in question. I've been having fun...

And the HOLE in the mining world that I've got going. Who needs quarries when you've got this...

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 10, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

I do 5x5, silk touch, speed 2. Get a diamond upgraded iron backpack with mining and void upgrades and set it to void all stone types. Voila, the backpack gets ore and ore only. No returning home until the battery runs dry. (It'll run dry long before the backpack fills.)

Ah, iron backpacks. I have one with an advanced nesting upgrade, and four internal backpacks. :v:

(mining, compressible blocks, variant stone, voider, and mob drops)

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Rutibex posted:

I finally had a bit of free time, so a managed to finish the improvements I have been making to Project Ozone 2. I decided I would not play any further until I had dealt with the terrible rewards, so I went into edit mode and added better ones! Most quests had a false choice of three "loot box" which are all the same, thats boring! I went through and changed all of the quests to now include a choice of loots :D You can still pick the loot box, but you will now have some better options to pick from as well. Keep in mind I have not balanced or play tested this yet, I was planning to do that as a play through :v:

I also added Twilight Forest to the pack, with all the dimension hopping it seemed like it was missing! I added a new quest line "Xi" for fighting the bosses of the Twilight Forest:

Project Ozone 2 Plus
http://www.mediafire.com/file/e6o4rwzz81lh1w3/Project+Ozone+2+Plus.rar

Got a bit of a bug report, the Fruit of Grisaia reward from Learning to Tinker is given already bound to your character, meaning it'll constantly damage anyone else while in their inventory.

EDIT: It's a pretty simple fix though, searching directly for the fruit in the reward screen and selecting it from there will have the quest give an unbound one.

Jade Rider fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 10, 2017

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Maybe the easiest way I've found to crash Minecraft yet: managing to accidentally pull the plug to the controller for my late-game RS network with a large pile of 64k storage disks in the crafting queue. It's like I fired a shotgun at my CPU. :shepicide:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

Does minecraft still do horrible things to SSDs?

It does a ton of writes to the same sectors, but that was only a real issue on first or second gen SSDs. Their overwrite capacity is massively better now. You'd have to be running a server 24/7 for a couple years before you even saw a small increase in failure rate.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Zack Ater posted:

If you're near a Microcenter, you could get this for about the same price: http://www.microcenter.com/product/475437/G314_Desktop_Computer

Or this for substantially cheaper, just add in an SSD and some more RAM yourself: http://www.microcenter.com/product/474288/G151_Desktop_Computer

About 12 thousand k's (6k miles give or take) away.

I googled some 2nd hand i5's and prices range from 300-700. I might leave it for a few weeks and wait for my brother to get back from the US.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Sounds like you found some ripoffs or something, they shouldn't be that expensive. also lol at the idea of Minecraft eating SSDs

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Heads up if anyone is interested Buildcraft just got updated to 1.11.2.

Edit: And oh my the comment section on the Curse page has already devolved into arguing because it skipped 1.10.2.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's not actually that much more raw speed than a leveled up Tinkers hammer, but the big time saver is being a hammer/shovel in one. That's a massive thoroughput increase in non-Nether mining projects.

Of course I'm getting to the point with this save that I might well never have to manually mine again. Good to know for next time, though! :q:

Oh, and being able to module swap on a moment's notice. Getting to swap out Silk Touch for an extra/speed mining boost anytime is beautiful.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Edit: And oh my the comment section on the Curse page has already devolved into arguing because it skipped 1.10.2.

someone already posted potato gnishes. I think Buildcraft going to 1.11.2 is a good thing because it'll help ensure other mods do not get left on 1.10.2

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

frenzy posted:

someone already posted potato gnishes. I think Buildcraft going to 1.11.2 is a good thing because it'll help ensure other mods do not get left on 1.10.2

With 1.12 in the works I wonder if more of the bigger mods aren't waiting for that but at least it gives 1.11.2 a big tech mod since the guys who do Ender IO have said they aren't near completion yet.

Hey Fingercuffs fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 10, 2017

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

funny, you say this. Just got into MC wirh my son and he saw an old buildcraft video and wanted to add it. Long story short buildcraft 7.9 is not ready for prime time and should probally not be used in survival since not everything works correctly...

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Active666 posted:

funny, you say this. Just got into MC wirh my son and he saw an old buildcraft video and wanted to add it. Long story short buildcraft 7.9 is not ready for prime time and should probally not be used in survival since not everything works correctly...

Out of curiosity since i'm at work what currently doesn't work?

Edit actually just read some of the comments on the Curse page, yeah looks like it's an alpha build so probably a good chunk of things don't work. Oh well will still be fun to mess around with for a little bit as they update it.

Hey Fingercuffs fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 10, 2017

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Out of curiosity since i'm at work what currently doesn't work?

Edit actually just read some of the comments on the Curse page, yeah looks like it's an alpha build so probably a good chunk of things don't work. Oh well will still be fun to mess around with for a little bit as they update it.

Yeah all I really know is mining wells don't work, engines can only take liquid fuel, and the quarry only worked for about two layers was all I found really after popping a new creative world.

Looks like I am going to convince him to play 1.7.10 if he wants buildcraft. Trying t keep it pretty vanilla, so going to try foresty, ironbackpacks, Binnies and buildcraft.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Nuevo posted:

Never thought I'd be cross posting from the meme thread to here, but well...

this video is triggering me because he is using a furnace to make rubber instead of an extractor :tizzy:

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

I can't figure out how to get Refined Storage auto crafting to work. I have a crafter pointing into the top of a furnace, with a pattern I encoded in the Processing Pattern Encoder. I have an importer on the bottom of the furnace to pull out the results, and and exporter in the back inserting coal blocks. When I request a craft of glass (or anything) the job shows up in the Crafting Monitor with "No Machine Found".

I was able to get auto crafting working fine with solderers, but the furnace just refuses to work. I've also tried Alloy Smelters and vanilla furnaces. Anyone have any ideas?

Side view.

Pattern.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016
Finally got around to updating the Warhammer 40k pack after taking several months off. I want to apologize for the bad lag, I tried to adjust the mobs to be challenging given all the ranged weapons but went way too far with it. It worked on the testers computer but not on many others, so I reworked the doom mobs to still present a challenge without needing a supercomputer for absurd pathfinding ranges. I fixed all the issues that were brought up here that were fixable, but some stuff is still beyond my control (not putting workbenchs in satchels, flans controls). The RPG system was also heavily altered, and I added some mods to improve the users experience. Over 100 vehicle parts were removed and replaced with 7 as part of the ongoing War on Tedium.

I'm in the process of doing act 4 to wrap up the story but I ran into a problem with HQM where I couldn't add any more quests, so I'm migrating to better questing. It's superior to HQM in every way so I'm reworking the entire RPG system and the quest trees to go with it. It has the added side effect of making the super confusing RPG system much more intuitive. I'm going to update to 1.10 if Flans mod updates, which has a pretty good possibility of happening. I also finally released the server files, but there may be some issues with the initial spawning.

Here's the pack.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Hey folks. My 7 year old loves minecraft on console, and really wants to get into the PC version, but is finding the KBM setup frustrating. I've done a lot of googling but haven't found anything that works well, is there a spot or config to use xbox360 or PS4 bluetooth controllers?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

The Windows 10 version (through the app store) has native support for the Xbox controllers.

How well that works with a modded install that is probably his entire reason for wanting to get into the PC version, though, I have no idea.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 11, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Toadsmash posted:

The Windows 10 version (through the app store) has native support for the Xbox controllers.

How well that works with a modded install that is probably his entire reason for wanting to get into the PC version, though, I have no idea.

Yeah he wants to experience the different mods and custom stuff around the java version (We do have both!). I'm trying to get him to learn KBM, but he has some motor issues :/

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

You could use a steam controller. I'm certain someone has made a config that mirrors the xbox/ps controls.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

hanales posted:

Hey folks. My 7 year old loves minecraft on console, and really wants to get into the PC version, but is finding the KBM setup frustrating. I've done a lot of googling but haven't found anything that works well, is there a spot or config to use xbox360 or PS4 bluetooth controllers?

You'll probably need to use some sort of middleware. Blind googling came up with this brightly colored word salad.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Notice something funny with this Woot farm? Amusingly, it still works just fine with a tier 2 pig zombie controller currently.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Toadsmash posted:

Notice something funny with this Woot farm? Amusingly, it still works just fine with a tier 2 pig zombie controller currently.

Chunk boundary on that line there?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

TriggerHappy posted:

I can't figure out how to get Refined Storage auto crafting to work. I have a crafter pointing into the top of a furnace, with a pattern I encoded in the Processing Pattern Encoder. I have an importer on the bottom of the furnace to pull out the results, and and exporter in the back inserting coal blocks. When I request a craft of glass (or anything) the job shows up in the Crafting Monitor with "No Machine Found".

I was able to get auto crafting working fine with solderers, but the furnace just refuses to work. I've also tried Alloy Smelters and vanilla furnaces. Anyone have any ideas?

Side view.

Pattern.

You need a Processing recipe from the Processing Pattern terminal. Anything g that can't be created in a crafting grid has to be made in a Processing terminal.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Serifina posted:

Chunk boundary on that line there?

I didn't think of that. I'll be curious to see if it'll let me switch it back to a nether star farm eventually. It visually formed the complete multiblock when I first built it, and the controller still calls it a tier 4. It did have a functional Wither controller at first, but I have enough nether stars to last a lifetime and then some right now.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Does AE2 still have that feature where you could save an area into a disk and refooble it later/elsewhere? I'm considering putting together a skyblock-like map (crash-landing on a single-biome world is my basic idea so far) and using one of those to send in a Woot mob farm would help out with some of the resource gathering. I know there's Capsule, but that seems to cap out at 5x5.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

You need a Processing recipe from the Processing Pattern terminal. Anything g that can't be created in a crafting grid has to be made in a Processing terminal.

I checked that, the pattern for Sand -> Glass was done in the Processing Pattern Encoder, the same as the patterns that work just fine for the solderers. I've tried with and without oredict enabled.

[Edit: Figured it out, I had a duplicate copy of the Processing Pattern in a normal crafting frame. Noticed I could still craft glass when I removed the pattern from the crafter I was working on. Taking the duplicate out fixed it.]

TriggerHappy fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 11, 2017

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Dareon posted:

Does AE2 still have that feature where you could save an area into a disk and refooble it later/elsewhere? I'm considering putting together a skyblock-like map (crash-landing on a single-biome world is my basic idea so far) and using one of those to send in a Woot mob farm would help out with some of the resource gathering. I know there's Capsule, but that seems to cap out at 5x5.

Spatial cells are still a thing, yes. Unlikely that it will pick up a Woot farm though, I don't think it carries tile entities. Or maybe they just need to be whitelisted.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

Spatial cells are still a thing, yes. Unlikely that it will pick up a Woot farm though, I don't think it carries tile entities. Or maybe they just need to be whitelisted.

I had a rough time trying to make it work with nontrivial stuff. In the BFSR spatial quest line, I had to actually change plans and have the players warp in an intermediate portal to the real place I wanted to go. I had to put a CustomNPC mob in there and have it trigger a teleportation because no mod's teleporters would work.

Speaking of all this: I am still waiting to hear from somebody who completed that quest line . . .

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So now that minecraft seems to be releasing new versions relatively quickly, what's going to happen with mods? It feels like 1.10 had barely gotten all the big mods updated to it when 1.11 came out, and now people are talking about a 1.12 in the works? Having more updates is great but breaking all the mods every year or something kind of sucks.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Things will settle to a specific version at some point and stay there for a while. Haven't there only really been like... 3-4 version of Minecraft that really had major mod support? I think something like 1.2, 1.5, 1.7, and now 1.10/1.11 competing

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Magres posted:

Things will settle to a specific version at some point and stay there for a while. Haven't there only really been like... 3-4 version of Minecraft that really had major mod support? I think something like 1.2, 1.5, 1.7, and now 1.10/1.11 competing

Unless this is Microsoft's plan to release so quick it breaks the modding community

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mensrea posted:

Finally got around to updating the Warhammer 40k pack after taking several months off. I want to apologize for the bad lag, I tried to adjust the mobs to be challenging given all the ranged weapons but went way too far with it. It worked on the testers computer but not on many others, so I reworked the doom mobs to still present a challenge without needing a supercomputer for absurd pathfinding ranges. I fixed all the issues that were brought up here that were fixable, but some stuff is still beyond my control (not putting workbenchs in satchels, flans controls). The RPG system was also heavily altered, and I added some mods to improve the users experience. Over 100 vehicle parts were removed and replaced with 7 as part of the ongoing War on Tedium.

I'm in the process of doing act 4 to wrap up the story but I ran into a problem with HQM where I couldn't add any more quests, so I'm migrating to better questing. It's superior to HQM in every way so I'm reworking the entire RPG system and the quest trees to go with it. It has the added side effect of making the super confusing RPG system much more intuitive. I'm going to update to 1.10 if Flans mod updates, which has a pretty good possibility of happening. I also finally released the server files, but there may be some issues with the initial spawning.

Here's the pack.

oh sweet I'll give it a shot later

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Xun posted:

So now that minecraft seems to be releasing new versions relatively quickly, what's going to happen with mods? It feels like 1.10 had barely gotten all the big mods updated to it when 1.11 came out, and now people are talking about a 1.12 in the works? Having more updates is great but breaking all the mods every year or something kind of sucks.

All the mods are on 1.7, everyone should just develop for that version. We don't need new versions of Minecraft, it works just fine as it is. Tinkering with it endlessly is just an effort to kill the modding community, before Microsoft announces Minecraft 2

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Uh. That's sort of the line of logic you had with 1.2 and look where you ended up (eventually): playing on 1.7. I don't know if you're just playing to type or sincerely believe the thing you're saying.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

So something I've never done is play adventure maps, is there a definitive site to go to for them or just use Curse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sage Grimm posted:

Uh. That's sort of the line of logic you had with 1.2 and look where you ended up (eventually): playing on 1.7. I don't know if you're just playing to type or sincerely believe the thing you're saying.

I was wrong in version, but correct in concept. 1.7 is Peak Mod, not 1.2.5. There will be new mods for new versions of course, but interest in Minecraft is on the down slope not the upslope now. That means for each new version there will be less mods than the version before.