Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

raditts posted:

Uh the hallway fight is episode 2

Everyone calls it "the" hallway fight but it feels like 60% of the fight scenes in Daredevil take place in a hallway or stairwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Jose Oquendo posted:

I really don't know why people poo poo on the Snyder movies. You'll never see anything like that at all in a Marvel flick.

Because between all those gifable moments there is no coherent or interesting movie. Snyder's movies make a great Tumblr-Comic-book-scenes-of-the-week post, but don't congeal to a good (or even passable) whole.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I disagree.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ChickenMedium posted:

Everyone calls it "the" hallway fight but it feels like 60% of the fight scenes in Daredevil take place in a hallway or stairwell.

Or a fire escape.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Reminds me of this:

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
People must have very high standards if Man of Steel can't even be considered "passable".

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SleepCousinDeath posted:

People must have very high standards if Man of Steel can't even be considered "passable".

Well, I'll certainly pass on it! :rimshot:

Seriously, though, it's a good movie.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Everything it did good, Superman I and II did better. Everything it did bad, it did really bad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Byzantine posted:

Everything it did good, Superman I and II did better. Everything it did bad, it did really bad.

Nah. Superman 1 and 2 are comparatively boring and dated slogs. Clark is a much better character in MoS as is Lois, rather than being caricatures closer to Popeye and Olive Oil.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

parallelodad posted:

Nah. Superman 1 and 2 are comparatively boring and dated slogs. Clark is a much better character in MoS as is Lois, rather than being caricatures closer to Popeye and Olive Oil.

That's what made Donner's Superman awesome to me. I much prefer full ham and cheese Clark to "brow mildly furrowed, constantly looking worried that he might have to poo" Clark.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate that I have to say this, but Superman The Movie is really great.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

I hate that I have to say this, but Superman The Movie is really great.

Saying otherwise is forbidden

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont like Superman the Movie, and I dont really care for any of the films in that set including Superman Returns.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Byzantine posted:

Go ahead and defend this because I don't think their strong points have much in common at all

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Superman II is My Superman, in that he gets into bar fights out of spite.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Snyder's movies have great visual direction and great visual setpieces.

Their actual content is slapdash and poor.

Great visuals are only great when they're servicing a great narrative. Seperating visuals from actually telling a story is something I'll never understand (not saying you're the one doing it tho).

e:

Lobok posted:

I was reading so many old school Iron Fist comics in prep for the show and then the reviews started coming in and... let's just say I'm still enjoying all the old school Iron Fist comics.

Are there good iron fist stories from way back? Only familiar with the Fraction run.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 10, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Beating the poo poo out of a bar bully out of spite is fine, but damaging a douche bar bully's truck is a bridge too far, because we are coming from the universe where cars represent civilian casualties.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

I was joking, I actually got sucked in pretty quick and started watching it straight. The relatively low-key fights are pretty novel compared to doing a bad job at something more extravagant.

my god

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

well why not posted:

Superman II is My Superman, in that he gets into bar fights out of spite.

I'm more of a Superman III kinda guy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shageletic posted:

Great visuals are only great when they're servicing a great narrative. Seperating visuals from actually telling a story is something I'll never understand (not saying you're the one doing it tho).
I think you can separate them to an extent. I'll always love the title sequence of The Watchmen (because the music and short narratives come together so very well), even if the rest of the movie is rather heavy or strained.

Likewise, Wonder Woman's entrance in BvS gives me goosebumps, even though her character was a west dress for most of the film.

In separating them from the whole, you're basically saying that the rest of the product was sub-par, despite the brief moment of brilliance, and that it doesn't merit much.

By contrast I love the image of Charles Foster Kane clapping for his wife's terrible Opera debut. His intensity rolls through a litany of feeling and it's all reflected in the story being told. It's a great distillation of the character at that point. But as wonderful a scene it is, it would suck without having the rest of the film to inform it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shageletic posted:

Are there good iron fist stories from way back? Only familiar with the Fraction run.

The solo series with Claremont & Byrne is good and not very long. After that he's paired with Luke Cage for years and I don't think he gets a solo comic again until the 90s.

Pre-solo series the fights are very predictable (spoiler alert: he uses his Iron Fist to win every fight) but the very first story arc is good because it's an origin that plays out over multiple issues as a revenge tale.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SleepCousinDeath posted:

What did Man of Steel do that was impressive or even competent in any way?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I think you can separate them to an extent.

In fact, if you couldn't separate them, it would be awfully weird the amount of effort dedicated to the creation, celebration, and preservation of visual art that doesn't tell a narrative. Buildings filled with it. Lives dedicated to it.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 10, 2017

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What did Man of Steel do that was impressive or even competent in any way?

like, everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Na73rOB7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75QXFqPeOg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5pRYuI3etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEAerOfen-o

I could link you to the entire movie but that would be :filez:

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

SleepCousinDeath posted:

like, everything

The action is well done and the effects are nice. The characters are boring and the story is trite.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw it in theaters and literally nothing about it stuck with me as being impressive or competent. Batman v Superman was a better movie and Batman v Superman was a piece of poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You don't seem to have any coherent criticism of it. You just keep saying "It's bad. I saw it and it was bad. That's how I know."

Actually it was very good. It was extremely well done and better than other comic book movies. There. I have made the equivalent of your post except my post is correct

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Please don't turn this into another thread arguing about Zach Snyder

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

parallelodad posted:

You don't seem to have any coherent criticism of it. You just keep saying "It's bad. I saw it and it was bad. That's how I know."

Actually it was very good. It was extremely well done and better than other comic book movies. There. I have made the equivalent of your post except my post is correct
Actually I found it to be sterile and lifeless and forgettable and one of the worst comic book movies in recent years, but whatever. To each his own v:shobon:v

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

parallelodad posted:

To be fair that is all you have done as well.

You haven't actually explained why it was good, just saying it is. So glass houses.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shageletic posted:

The visuals are the narrative. Movies are moving pictures. There is nothing outside the pictures (and the usually-superfluous audio track).

What you are doing is identical to taking a novel and subtracting the words, in search of the story.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Back to greenlit stuff, the studio that brought you The Nut Job has this arriving in theaters this week...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3228088/

Why are kids movies almost always terrible these days?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snyder is really good at cool visuals but almost all his movies could do with being about 40 minutes shorter.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

FreudianSlippers posted:

Snyder is really good at cool visuals but almost all his movies could do with being about 40 minutes shorter.

I wouldn't go as far as 40 minutes but he really needs to find a good editor,also scripts with a couple more passes.not even rewrites,just make sure stuff has narrative flow.he seems to be a guy who gets over excited over some project and just rushes through.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Barudak posted:

I dont like Superman the Movie, and I dont really care for any of the films in that set including Superman Returns.

Superman Returns is a pretty bland movie, but I still think that the plane rescue is the best scene from any superhero movie, Superman or otherwise.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ChainsawCharlie posted:

I wouldn't go as far as 40 minutes but he really needs to find a good editor,also scripts with a couple more passes.not even rewrites,just make sure stuff has narrative flow.he seems to be a guy who gets over excited over some project and just rushes through.

Yeah, Snyder didn't write or edit these movies so people holding that against him is kind of silly.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The visuals are the narrative. Movies are moving pictures. There is nothing outside the pictures (and the usually-superfluous audio track).

What you are doing is identical to taking a novel and subtracting the words, in search of the story.

This is incorrect.

Films are primarily a visual medium, in so far as they can't be a film without it, but the kind of films under discussion here represent a confluence of elements to create the whole. Citing the audio track as superfluous is a massive misunderstanding of cinema. A version of Son of Saul where the horrific screams and banging of the people in the gas chambers are removed is unimaginable, it's a film that often uses sound to devastating effect. To cite a more mainstream example, imagine Jaws without its iconic main theme.

Film has roots embedded in visual art but also in the theatre; where concepts such as act structure, character arcs, dramatic constructs and conflicts create incredible meaning. Take the staginess of some of the early sound pictures, such as Tod Browning's Dracula, which remains an effective telling of the story despite it's somewhat stolid presentation.

By reducing cinema exclusively to the visual compositions and discounting all other aspects you deprive it of the incredible complexity and nuance that such a confluence of artistry is capable of. It's a deeply insular and myopic way of looking at the artform.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ego-bot posted:

Superman Returns is a pretty bland movie, but I still think that the plane rescue is the best scene from any superhero movie, Superman or otherwise.

Even as someone that thinks Superman Returns is dogshit that scene is legit awesome in every way and I'm very happy I got to see it on the big screen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I genuinely love this post because you've entered the Nexus 6 phase and gone from having not actually seen a particular film being discussed to having never seen a movie ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
*Heh* Does Annie Hall hold up without audio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsHwIBR6ivA

...I withdraw my objection.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 11, 2017

• Locked thread