Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Tezzora posted:

Speaking of war, is the smug declaration that Attack of the Clones is a subversive critique of the Iraq War affected at all by the fact that the movie was released before the Iraq War and written and shot not just before the Iraq War, not just before the Afghanistan war, but indeed even before 9/11, and if so, why would demonstrable reality begin to make a difference now

Starship Troopers was released in 1997, but 9/11 happens early in the movie and it ends with Osama bin Laden getting dragged out of Tora Bora (or maybe Saddam and his spider hole, since that actually happened). The US has been flirting with fascism for awhile now, so it's easy to retrofit that kind of story to different events and people over time, especially if he's reworking them as they're happening. The prequels use the Nazis and the decline of the Roman Republic as a framework, but it's easy to see the stuff inspired by the Bush administration, and I could see Lucas imagining earlier variations of Palpatine as Nixon or Reagan.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Tezzora posted:

i'm not sure if this is sincere or not but either way you could make a sincere argument that low-grade, poorly-made, derivative, slapdash and childish crap is Really What Star Wars is About, since that (you mention the EU) is definitely most of it by volume

...but enough about The Force Awakens, let's get back to the topic at hand

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

sassassin posted:

Very little of the EU had anything in common with the Star Wars films beyond the most superficial elements (character names, props), which is why people with large collections of Stackpole and Timothy Zahn paperbacks are often the most vehement prequel haters.

I own literally ever EU novel and I love the prequels.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I actually really enjoyed her point about Glory starting around 18:45.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You watched this?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

jivjov posted:

I own literally ever EU novel and I love the prequels.

As an authority on the EU, what is the worst Legends novel? I stopped reading them after the first New Jedi Order book, but I remember the Black Fleet Crisis being pretty abysmal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just assume everything written by Kevin J. Anderson exists in a state of quantum badness wherein relative badness cannot be determined.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hey, Tezzor's back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRtYuG6MgX8

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

General Dog posted:

As an authority on the EU, what is the worst Legends novel? I stopped reading them after the first New Jedi Order book, but I remember the Black Fleet Crisis being pretty abysmal.
Pretty sure it's the one with leia's wedding

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

General Dog posted:

My personal ranking has the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy on the bottom.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

and I could see Lucas imagining earlier variations of Palpatine as Nixon

This was actually his original intention, when the first Star Wars came out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
In fairness to the intellectually stunted liberals who keep comparing politicians to Harry Potter characters, Richard Nixon inspired an impressive array of literal supervillains.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I haven't read most EU stuff. What makes those the least good?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sassassin posted:

I like Star Wars. I like Jar Jar Binks, I like Watto's hat, and I like deferring motions to allow committees to investigate the validity of all claims, including this one.

This thread is mired in bureaucracy, it needs a strong person to lead it it and avoid getting mired in ceaseless negotiations. I call for a vote of no confidence in our Chancellor and demand new elections.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You watched this?

*whispering to u when tezzor comes on the screen in Top 10 Worst Reasons You Like Rogue 1* hey...that's tezzor

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Dellow fellagates!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPJy0HTRD4s

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

jivjov posted:

I dunno, it gave us the amazing backstab chart.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

The thing about the original six is that the humor always had a distinct 1930's character, from C-3PO and R2-D2's Vaudevillian double act to Han and Leia's screwball comedy bickering to Jar Jar's Keaton-esque slapstick antics. Like everything else in Star Wars, it had a great sort of naive earnestness to it. In contrast, the humor in the new movies trends toward a decidedly modern kind of ironic, Whedonesque meta-humor, as if Disney thinks Star Wars won't be able to survive in the culture going forward unless it starts becoming self-referentially aware of its own absurdity. Like, one of the most memorable jokes in The Force Awakens revolves around Han and Finn ostentatiously hanging a lampshade on the Force's common role as a vague, ill-defined plot device. That's heinous.

Obviously George Lucas himself had no problem taking the piss out of his own series, given his enthusiastic support for the Family Guy and Robot Chicken parodies, but I think including that sort of stuff in the movies themselves only serves to dilute their purity of spirit.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 7, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Purity of spirit. Fuckin Star Wars thread.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

The thing about the original six is that the humor always had a distinct 1930's character, from C-3PO and R2-D2's Vaudevillian double act to Han and Leia's screwball comedy bickering to Jar Jar's Keaton-esque slapstick antics. Like everything else in Star Wars, it had a great sort of naive earnestness to it. In contrast, the humor in the new movies trends toward a decidedly modern kind of ironic, Whedonesque meta-humor, as if Disney thinks Star Wars won't be able to survive in the culture going forward unless it starts becoming self-referentially aware of its own absurdity. Like, one of the most memorable jokes in The Force Awakens revolves around Han and Finn ostentatiously hanging a lampshade on the Force's common role as a vague, ill-defined plot device. That's heinous.

Obviously George Lucas himself had no problem taking the piss out of his own series, given his enthusiastic support for the Family Guy and Robot Chicken parodies, but I think including that sort of stuff in the movies themselves only serves to dilute their purity of spirit.

"That's not how the Force works!" isn't amusing because the Force is an ill-defined plot device; what the gently caress are you talking about? It's amusing because Han has come full circle from a rebellious skeptic who refuses to acknowledge the Force's influence because of his secularism to a theological conservative who refuses to acknowledge the Force's influence because of his dogma about its specific characteristics. Despite his conversion story that touched us earlier ("The crazy thing is - it's true. The Force, the Jedi. All of it. It's all true.") he's still fundamentally the same person with the same attitude.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Tezzora posted:

i think it's important to note that by the time they signed christensen to play the role lucas literally hadn't even written the script yet, which might have been partially why bigger actors like joshua jackson turned down the role.

we coulda had Darth Pacey? gently caress that woulda owned

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

banned from Starbucks posted:

But then we wouldn't have had Peter Bishop in Fringe, and that would have been the greater loss.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

banned from Starbucks posted:

But what if Star Wars Celebration ran at the same time as Paceycon?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

So after finally getting the Rogue One Blu-ray, no thanks to Amazon, I can confirm it's still awesome and it wasn't just a fluke from enjoying the novelty of it the first time around. Everything on Scarif in particular is fantastic (which isn't to discount the rest at all), and I'd say it's the second best battle of the series after Endor. Much better aesthetically, though, which goes for the whole movie - it's just a beautiful film. Also now I actually understood everyone's names and all the exposition, whereas the first time around it was kind of a deluge of info, so all the stuff on Jedha makes a lot more sense.

I'm struck again by how much Edwards makes the Death Star a force of nature. The surface level perspectives of the shots it fires have the characters just utterly dwarfed by the destruction - it's reminiscent of a tsunami or meteor impact (as in the Deep Impact visual quotation at the end) more than any man-made explosion short of a nuclear bomb. And interestingly, we never see it move or arrive anywhere - at both Jedha and Scarif, it's just suddenly there, as if it's a permanent presence in the sky that just happened to come into view when needed. Edwards uses the old comparison to a moon to good effect, having it announce itself with an eclipse and then a moonrise. There's almost always something else on screen to establish scale in every shot it appears - and in many of them it's also partially offscreen, as if it's too big for the frame to contain it. There's one beautiful shot in particular at the end of Scarif, with all the Rebel ships flying by the barest sliver of Death Star at the top of the screen.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^ Good post, I agree.
When the Death Star is suddenly there over Scarif, its like... oh of course! Of course it was going to help out. But the battle does a good job of keeping your attention and you sort of forget about it for the beat. And its so menacing. Just sitting there over the rise. It doesn't have to be anything more.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 10, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Agreed, and I like how understated the score is at that moment. There's no big musical sting, just this sad quiet piece that feels like it's announcing the end.

For the rest of the score...eh. I mean, except for the terrible main theme there's nothing especially bad about it, but there's also not a lot that stands out. Krennic's theme is a nice addition to the saga's collection of villainous marches, though.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Best parts of the score (that is overall decent but nothing spectacular) is the stuff that invokes older stuff. Like the scene when the Rebel fleet exits hyper space, or when we get our first look on the Death Star (Tarkin scene) and they play the original Imperial theme from ANH. Loved that!

So we can expect a new trailer this coming SW celebration, right?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BigglesSWE posted:

So we can expect a new trailer this coming SW celebration, right?

Absolutely. There's a big Last Jedi panel, and we're right at the appropriate time to be getting our first teaser trailer. The big question is if they're gonna try to keep it convention exclusive, or do the smart thing and put it online the same day or the day after.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

Absolutely. There's a big Last Jedi panel, and we're right at the appropriate time to be getting our first teaser trailer. The big question is if they're gonna try to keep it convention exclusive, or do the smart thing and put it online the same day or the day after.

For past Celebrations they put it online shortly after the panel. Like that Episode VII video with some new footage and interviews spliced together. This isn't Comic-Con, where they try to keep everything exclusive.

That being said, I'll actually be at Celebration, though I don't see getting into the main hall for the panel. The line starts 8PM the night before, and those days for me are done. There are, however, a couple streaming halls for it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hayden Christensen is going to be there and Reddit is putting up notices to not harass him about hating sand.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

That being said, I'll actually be at Celebration, though I don't see getting into the main hall for the panel. The line starts 8PM the night before, and those days for me are done. There are, however, a couple streaming halls for it.

I'll be there too, and same for me. There are roughly 3400 wristbands available for the main hall, and I don't doubt all of them will go to overnight campers.

I'm going early Friday morning to try to get an overflow hall wristband (there are about 4200 of those). If I don't get it I won't be bummed.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Good Morning America's teasing a thing

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/851411649575530496

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

well why not posted:

Hayden Christensen is going to be there and Reddit is putting up notices to not harass him about hating sand.

You don't make Star Wars and Shattered Glass without wanting to make a statement to the world about sand.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

thrawn527 posted:

For past Celebrations they put it online shortly after the panel. Like that Episode VII video with some new footage and interviews spliced together. This isn't Comic-Con, where they try to keep everything exclusive.

......could you do me a huge favor?

There's an exclusive Thrawn POP by Funko being sold there and i'd rather not pay scalper fees.

I'd cover the cost of it and shipping to Canada if that is ok. PM if you're down to get one for me. :unsmith:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

......could you do me a huge favor?

There's an exclusive Thrawn POP by Funko being sold there and i'd rather not pay scalper fees.

I'd cover the cost of it and shipping to Canada if that is ok. PM if you're down to get one for me. :unsmith:

I make no guarantees on availability, but as I will be trying for one myself, I will try. But keep in mind, they held a lottery for Funko toys, and if you didn't get in you just get what's left after, and I, nor my wife, nor my two friends also going, got in via the lottery, so it's a crap shoot on what will be left.

If I get it, I'll PM you then.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hmm, maybe THIS will be the teaser for Episode 8. Or maybe the release of original un-edited versions of the OT on blu-ray.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's the announcement of a standlone Dengar movie for 2019.

That mummy gently caress.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Willrow Hood Origins.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Clone Wars CG movie 3D re-release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
I want a standalone Luke movie without lame rear end Finn and Rey tagging along. I would ideally like an old man Han/Luke buddy flick but good luck getting Harrison to come back.

• Locked thread