Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

HIJK posted:

That game looks so stupid. Why would anyone play that.

It would be a fine if silly little game to burn 5 minutes on now and then if there wasn't such an air of pretentiousness around it.

The dude in my D&D game tried so hard to insert the game into our campaign though. Like he would look for opportunities to pull it out and go "WE COULD PLAY TAK FOR THIS."

I feel like this is illustrative of the kind of fan Rothfuss attracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

tbf if you make something you tend to want to share it with other people. Did any of you ever take pity on him and Tak him?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

We did, sure. Like it was fine he made something and wanted to share it with people. That didn't stop him from trying to cram it into the game every other session. Fortunately he eventually lost interest (or caught on).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it's ok fun.:shrug:

I mean, it's not a more complex game than chess or anything stupid like that, but it is easy to learn and fun to play while you're drinking. Honestly its just connect four only instead of a specific number you just have to connect from one side of the board to the other. That's it. There's cap stones and walls and other little rules, but the crux of the game is to make a line of your pieces from one end to the opposite. Oh! And you start the game by playing your opponents piece first. Which sounds way more tactical than it is because it's early in the game and it literally doesn't matter at all.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Relevant Tangent posted:

The thing about fandom is that once you're deep enough into it you start wanting physical reminders of it around. So you have conventions. At a deep level, things aren't real to a lot of people unless they can touch it/taste it/insert it into themselves.

I actually bought a card game awhile back that was styled to look like it might've come from the NotW universe. It wasn't advertised as an elegant and beautiful game. It was a pub game with simplistic rules and quick play that benefited from a specialized deck, and they had 2 of about 10 deck designs inspired by Rothfuss. I spent probably 5 or 6 bucks on a deck. No way am I spending ~$50 on a pile of wood chips and a checkerboard, even if I was still a big fan of the books.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Isn't the point of tak that it's the sort of game you cobble together with pebbles and coins and whatever you have lying around? So your friend's board is much closer to the fiction than Roths veneered hideousness.

I think both existed in the book. Like, you could cobble it together with flat stones and coins, but you could also have a set of specialized whatevers.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I mean you can play chess with coins too.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Wait, a 4x4 to 6x6 grid where you lay pieces to connect a line from one side to the other. And you make the first move for your opponent.

It's a child's version of John Nash's Hex replete with the Swop rule implemented but without understanding why it was implemented.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Reene posted:

The dude in my D&D game tried so hard to insert the game into our campaign though. Like he would look for opportunities to pull it out and go "WE COULD PLAY TAK FOR THIS."
I'm reminded of how Geralt in The Witcher 3 is on a crucial quest to locate a missing person and gets detoured but at least you can justify those things as "he needs information to stay on the trail" or "he has to do his job to support himself financially while he looks," but then he can just go around to all the lovely pubs in the region and kick people's asses at Gwent for no particular reason.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rothfuss seems like he should have been an RPG writer or game designer or something, but he lucked into having someone actually publish his novel.

Reene posted:

It would be a fine if silly little game to burn 5 minutes on now and then if there wasn't such an air of pretentiousness around it.

I feel like this is illustrative of the kind of fan Rothfuss attracts.

I actually have done stuff like that in RPGs, like I have a set of poker dice and a set of slot machine dice I use when characters gamble instead of just going "roll your gambling check" or whatever. But some guy trying to shoehorn in his personal pet game from a novel he likes sounds real bad. Especially when it's Rothfuss.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i bet rothfuss has another fanfic he won't publicise where his manic pixie dream girl and goldberry fart on each other for thousands of words

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i know i do

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Reene posted:

Does he deliver pizza for a living? We may have solved a mystery.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

StonecutterJoe posted:

Does he deliver pizza for a living? We may have solved a mystery.

:golfclap:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Did I tell you guys my story of meeting Rothfuss? It was at Pax and I bumped in to him in a hotel bathroom. While he was at a urinal I finished up and told him he was a lovely writer who didn't deserve the recognition he had gotten then cravenly fled before he could give me a comeback. It felt great.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Man, imagine suffering from anxiety such that you can't even finish your magnum opus, your LOTR, trying to make the best of it and still put out a little something here and there, but then one day you're at another nerd convention and taking a moment to ponder the creeping darkness of your crumbling life while peeing. The only solitude a man knows.

" You're a hack, Rothfuss, and you know it." The little voice in your head is saying. You try to ignore it, grimly focusing on the flow so that you can get back to the autographs and the smiles and the accusing glares from the fans you know are slipping away.

And then some con-goer breaks the reverie, voice shrill like a choir boy, confirming all those dark thoughts which have haunted you for so long. That night, back at the hotel, you load up the single page you've written for Doors of Stone in all these years, the software as outdated as your dreams, and sob until the sweet release of sleep overcomes you. :stare:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
But enough about what will happen to me if I ever become a successful writer :v:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
And thus that book that's not for everyone about that weird girl from the school was conceived

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i would follow him around refusing to engage beyond saying "you're poo poo. you're shiiiiiiit. you're shiiiiiit" in a low gentle conversational voice so he couldn't get me detained by security

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

y'all are gettin fuckin weird

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Rime posted:

Man, imagine suffering from anxiety such that you can't even finish your magnum opus, your LOTR, trying to make the best of it and still put out a little something here and there, but then one day you're at another nerd convention and taking a moment to ponder the creeping darkness of your crumbling life while peeing. The only solitude a man knows.

" You're a hack, Rothfuss, and you know it." The little voice in your head is saying. You try to ignore it, grimly focusing on the flow so that you can get back to the autographs and the smiles and the accusing glares from the fans you know are slipping away.

And then some con-goer breaks the reverie, voice shrill like a choir boy, confirming all those dark thoughts which have haunted you for so long. That night, back at the hotel, you load up the single page you've written for Doors of Stone in all these years, the software as outdated as your dreams, and sob until the sweet release of sleep overcomes you. :stare:

Haha yeah man, i hope that guy kills himself :twisted:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
rothfest

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I would attend if there were a bunch of metal bands and stuff.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Habibi posted:

And thus that book that's not for everyone about that weird girl from the school was conceived

"That Book About That Weird Girl from the School" would've been a better title for it, too.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Reene posted:

y'all are gettin fuckin weird

not empty quoting

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Reene posted:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

This however is a form of getting weird I can fully endorse.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rime posted:

Rothfuss is immune to writer's block compared to Scott Lynch.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Rothfuss is immune to writer's block compared to Scott Lynch.

Scott Lynch who has published three books, with a fourth coming, in less time than Rothfuss and has been open and direct about his life-crippling anxiety issues?

Well to be fair, I guess you have to write to get writer's block, so obviously Lynch is gonna have it worse than Rothfuss.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lynch's work seems like more of that over-pushed modern worldbuilding focused fantasy for people who have barely read anything in the genre, but in a way that isn't horribly offensive to the senses like what Rothfuss produces. Like Sanderson. I roll all that stuff together, it's basically fantasy by and for people who got started by playing 3rd Edition D&D.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 11, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

EDIT: Having some sort of keyboard problem where enter presses twice, got a double post out of it.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
It's pulp, but it's well constructed pulp (at least the first one, never did read the others). Not every genre book has to be Book of the New Sun :shrug:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Lies of Locke Lamora is fantastic. It's an excellent heist novel with an unexpected genre twist to revenge thriller in the second act.

Red Seas and Republic of Thieves don't hold up as well admittedly.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I think if he gets his other books out Republic of Thieves will hold up reasonably well. What I meant by my crack was that Lynch seems to agonize over poo poo in a way that Rothfuss just doesn't. Rothfuss just goes and plays D&D for money or whatever that Penny Arcade stuff is, meanwhile Lynch is battling his demons to get another book out.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Benson Cunningham posted:

Lies of Locke Lamora is fantastic. It's an excellent heist novel with an unexpected genre twist to revenge thriller in the second act.

Red Seas and Republic of Thieves don't hold up as well admittedly.

I admit I'm fairly uncharitable to modern fantasy after being burned by it so much.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Lightning Lord posted:

I admit I'm fairly uncharitable to modern fantasy after being burned by it so much.
I've had more or less the same reaction. Things get praised that are at best extremely mediocre. Mostly debut novels too, so if the follow-ups are considered not as good it really makes me wonder how bad some of them are. There are exceptions but I can probably count post-2000 fantasy I've enjoyed on one hand and I'd probably be reaching to call any of it great. Some of it's probably readable though and if that's what you're looking for (fast, fun fare) that's fine.

But if you lavish praise on something and call the author "the American Tolkien," there's a difference in standards there that's a bit suspect. I suppose I'd be more charitable to Rothfuss if it didn't seem like he was simultaneously trying to buy his own hype and play for sympathy about his inability to keep at it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Hasn't nearly every American fantasy author been called "the American Tolkien" at this point? It's an entirely meaningless compliment.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I can think of a few authors that could reasonably be considered the American Tolkien, though for reasons other than what made Tolkien so good (linguistics, his slavish devotion to developing the history of his made-up world). Jack Vance springs immediately to mind. Perhaps Roger Zelazny or Ursula Le Guin. Fritz Leiber might be stretching it, but he probably deserves a nod for showing it was possible to do swords and sorcery without the blatant racism of Howard. I want to say Gene Wolfe because I love his writing, but he just doesn't have the wide appeal of Tolkien or any of the other listed authors.

Rothfuss isn't fit to shine these folks shoes.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Book of the New Sun is better than Lord of the Rings.

I will fight any of you nerds who have different, subjective opinions.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Obviously Robert Jordan is the American Tolkien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

Obviously Robert Jordan is the American Tolkien.

:yikes:

• Locked thread