Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

cowboy elvis posted:

It's so weird people book flights for specific dates and times yet would pass up money to add a delay onto their plans.

I just don't get people.

unironic :discourse: for your ironic post, and the fact that someone missed the irony

no apologies tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Finger Prince posted:

I already miss the cool plane photo dump and fully admit to being part of the problem.

Let's just dive right back in!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Zomg, de Havilland twin boom jets... :allears:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Awww, him looks so :sun: going off to sow death and destruction!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Wait wait, so did he get the free hotel room and gift cards or what?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

blugu64 posted:

Wait wait, so did he get the free hotel room and gift cards or what?

No he got back on the plane.

Not sure what happened after that?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Before:

After:

How the goofy have fallen...

Not the same plane; just the same type of plane.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Cat Mattress posted:

Before:

After:

How the goofy have fallen...

Not the same plane; just the same type of plane.

I love goofy loving twin boom airplanes.

Edit:

Furthermore:

Hermsgervørden fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 10, 2017

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Owns.

Guys, can we talk about the Tomcat?

wait...

Goodnight, Sweet Prince...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Tomcat best cat

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Did somebody say cats?

Bonus Tornado-cat

When you see a Bearcat or Tigercat up close, the fit and finish on those late war/post-war props vs planes like the F6F is just nuts. Incredibly sleek and smooth compared to other warbirds.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:dong:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Finger Prince posted:

Let me just say that in no way is this in any way justifiable and I hope he sues the pants off that airline.
But deadhead crew and AOG mechanics are "must ride", so if this gets play because the whole "standby travel" thing, it's a non issue. They could offer a passenger ten grand for his seat and still come out miles ahead if it means they don't have to cancel a flight to Asia because there's no pilot to fly it.
Like, if the media is going to try to drag the internal crewing logistics of an airline the size of United into this, I hope they're going to dedicate a team of reporters to the story for longer than next week when this has all blown over because that poo poo is complicated.

Or you could have your crew rent a car and drive 4.5 hours to Louisville.

Edit: Jolly Roger Tomcats had the best US livery since naked nose art was allowed.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 11, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

This was at like, 2am. Wheee!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I remember first time I saw a tomcat in the flesh and I was genuinely surprised as to how large it was.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Same trip

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Reminds me of the cartoon with the kitten riding on the back of the big dog :s

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
I'm thinking about flying to Ukraine and doing that whole Chernobyl two-day private tour thing, and I'm trying to learn about other things that I would be stupid to miss while I'm all the way over there.

For a while I entertained the idea of doubling the cost of the trip (at least) to hop over to Monino for the soviet "Uvdar Hazy" museum, but then I realized the Antonov is a Ukrainian company. Turns out there's a sizable State air and space museum, and it looks like Antonov does tours as well.

Got me thinking, are there any resources for following the An-225 to see where it will be at any time?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Kebbins posted:

I'm thinking about flying to Ukraine and doing that whole Chernobyl two-day private tour thing, and I'm trying to learn about other things that I would be stupid to miss while I'm all the way over there.

For a while I entertained the idea of doubling the cost of the trip (at least) to hop over to Monino for the soviet "Uvdar Hazy" museum, but then I realized the Antonov is a Ukrainian company. Turns out there's a sizable State air and space museum, and it looks like Antonov does tours as well.

Got me thinking, are there any resources for following the An-225 to see where it will be at any time?

Are you sure you want to travel to Ukraine right now?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Twitter is the best bet. It doesn't really fly a schedule that is publicized far in advance.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/an225?lang=en

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

slidebite posted:

I remember first time I saw a tomcat in the flesh and I was genuinely surprised as to how large it was.

Yeah they're really big and really intimidating looking IMO. The way it sites with the wings swept way back and raked intakes gives it a menacing appearance.

That said it was completely hamstrung by poo poo engines until the D model.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Godholio posted:

Or you could have your crew rent a car and drive 4.5 hours to Louisville.

Edit: Jolly Roger Tomcats had the best US livery since naked nose art was allowed.

This is saved on my disk as "noseart.jpg" (slightly :nws:)

"fill me up, baby"

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

slidebite posted:

This tomcat is now under the new Aviation Pavilion flanked on one side by a recently-ex-Blue Angels F/A-18A and on the other by an EA-6B and A-6, with a Harrier and A-4 further down the row. It's a real interesting smorgasbord of seaborne jet sizes (what I wouldn't give to have a Vigilante in there too).

Oh also if any SEA goons haven't visited the MoF in a while the B-29 will apparently soon have an azimuth gunsight set up next to it to allow visitors to try operating the power turrets (!!!)

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 11, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What's the aerodynamic or engineering rationale behind making the fuselage shaped sort of tapering into an edge like that instead of more conventionally rounded?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

aphid_licker posted:

What's the aerodynamic or engineering rationale behind making the fuselage shaped sort of tapering into an edge like that instead of more conventionally rounded?

You're going really loving fast.

e: I read that as nose at first, but I think the body of the SR-71 is also a lifting body, so the body is like a little set of wings.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah it's a lifting body. The wings are surprisingly small area and the A12/SR71 is definitely not a small AC. If you were to take those big nacelles off, it would probably have stubbier looking wings than an F104.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Same A12 from a different angle showing off the 2-tone color

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Previa_fun posted:

That said it was completely hamstrung by poo poo engines until the D model.

the F-14A+ (later redesigned F-14B) was the first tomcat to get the F110-400. The D added the more advanced avionics.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Tomcat chat means it's time for the final Fighter Fling (2004)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCmEFrWDAUY

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

slidebite posted:

Same A12 from a different angle showing off the 2-tone color

Oh wow, when was this? 2010-2013ish? Dat Super Corsair :fap:

Not that the current occupant of that particular corner is any less neato:

(Model 10 Electra in Earhart's livery)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Godholio posted:

It's just nuts how far video resolution has come.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Godholio posted:

God drat, I've probably seen that 4-6 times and love it each time.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Oh wow, when was this? 2010-2013ish? Dat Super Corsair :fap:
I think May/June 2010. That is easily a museum you could take 2 days in. Mrs. Slidebite was a trooper. We got there at opening in the morning and kicked us out in the evening.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Did somebody say cats?

Bonus Tornado-cat

When you see a Bearcat or Tigercat up close, the fit and finish on those late war/post-war props vs planes like the F6F is just nuts. Incredibly sleek and smooth compared to other warbirds.

I unironically love the bearcat. Such a cool plane. I've read this article over and over again, just daydreaming:

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepBearcat.html

One of the neatest features it had was the outer 18" 2/3rds(!) of each wing tip was mounted with explosive bolts so if the airplane was loaded beyond 7.5G, the wing wouldn't fold in half. Instead, the bolts would blow and eject the outside portions of the wings. This system was deactivated after a technician was killed when the explosives were accidentally triggered on the ground. Oops.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/gbrockell/status/851596227636547584
https://twitter.com/gbrockell/status/851598593765068801

Good thread about United being poo poo.

also this one about United leaving a blind woman on a plane:
https://consumerist.com/2010/05/18/united-leaves-blind-passenger-on-plane/

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 11, 2017

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

slidebite posted:

Yeah it's a lifting body. The wings are surprisingly small area and the A12/SR71 is definitely not a small AC. If you were to take those big nacelles off, it would probably have stubbier looking wings than an F104.

I've always loved that the Sr-71 is just slightly less than exactly twice as long as it is wide. 55'x107' or something, I think

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

https://youtu.be/-kVhurg5b9U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

meltie posted:

This was at like, 2am. Wheee!

wtf is going on here?